Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I've come to the realization that the thing I'm going to miss most about windows phone when I move to the cold embrace of Apple next month is the bing picture of the day on my lockscreen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Are there any GSM Nokia phones that have a notification light? Apparently my coworker's Verizon Lumia 822 did, but it seems like none of the rest do.

That's pretty much the main thing I am missing about these phones. I hate constantly having to wake the phone up to see if I missed anything.

The lack of notification lights and the random small apps she misses out on (there was apparently some app for her work conference she went to last week and it was iphone/android only of course) has been the last straw for her, whereas I don't mind not having a huge app store due to less distractions on my phone. However the notification lights I do miss...

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

So far I'm really liking the 640. Pretty much the only thing that has me unimpressed is the lack of a dedicated camera button, but since I'm keeping the 1020 and turning it into a dedicated camera that shouldn't be much of an issue.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

jeeves posted:

Are there any GSM Nokia phones that have a notification light? Apparently my coworker's Verizon Lumia 822 did, but it seems like none of the rest do.

That's pretty much the main thing I am missing about these phones. I hate constantly having to wake the phone up to see if I missed anything.

The lack of notification lights and the random small apps she misses out on (there was apparently some app for her work conference she went to last week and it was iphone/android only of course) has been the last straw for her, whereas I don't mind not having a huge app store due to less distractions on my phone. However the notification lights I do miss...

Currently not. I don't think windows phone currently has APIS to use notification lights anyway. The HTC 8X had a notification light which only showed charging status due to API limitations. I think windows mobile 10 might include this support but we know pretty much nothing conclusively about that.

Basically, the same answer for all windows phone questions these days, Wait until October or buy an Android device...

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

CalvinandHobbes posted:

Basically, the same answer for all windows phone questions these days, Wait until October or buy an Android device...

Aren't these one and the same ZING

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Alternative pants posted:

So far I'm really liking the 640. Pretty much the only thing that has me unimpressed is the lack of a dedicated camera button, but since I'm keeping the 1020 and turning it into a dedicated camera that shouldn't be much of an issue.

Did you get the normal 640 or XL? I'm glad I got it instead of a Moto G 2015 since I kind of wanted to try a big phone and I'm surprised how fast I got used to this.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Anyone else get this email?

quote:

Hi,
We’re emailing you because you’re a member of one or more groups in OneDrive. Groups will no longer be available in OneDrive after October‍ 16, 2015, and all group files and info will be deleted. To see your groups, go to OneDrive‍.com, sign in, and then look under Groups in the navigation pane. If you want to keep any of the group files, follow the steps in Move files from a group to your own OneDrive. To share the files again after you move them to your own OneDrive, see Share files and folders and change permissions.
Thank you,
The OneDrive team

I can't find that I ever used OneDrive groups, is this maybe part of family rooms or whatever the hell that feature was called?

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Guillermus posted:

Did you get the normal 640 or XL? I'm glad I got it instead of a Moto G 2015 since I kind of wanted to try a big phone and I'm surprised how fast I got used to this.

Got the XL. It's definitely becoming more comfortable much faster than I thought it would.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Maneki Neko posted:

Anyone else get this email?

I can't find that I ever used OneDrive groups, is this maybe part of family rooms or whatever the hell that feature was called?
I got this too, and I wonder if it's because of my outlook account or something. I've never used OneDrive either.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?

Puistokemisti posted:

Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask about it but I just got a Lumia 920 as hand-me-down and can I seriously not change the DNS server for the wifi connection in this?

You can't, and even if you could it still wouldn't fix the slow wifi you're getting.

I still haven't fixed it and I can't explain why it happens.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
I believe that if you were ever part of a Room, then I think perhaps there was a group associated with it. I actually thought it was just a normal shared folder but I guess not.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
I went in to AT&T the other day to upgrade my wife's phone. Long story short, they pulled some extremely shady poo poo to push AT&T Next on us and it pissed me off to the point that I immediately drove down the street to another carrier and opened an account with them. This carrier doesn't support Windows Phone, and it's why I left them a few years ago to join AT&T in the first place.

Anyways, now I'm sitting here with a brand new iPhone 6 Plus, dwarfing my not insubstantial 920. I've had an iPhone 4s for a work issued phone for a few years now, but I used it solely for texting, emailing, and calling. I was worried about the iPhone not doing what my 920 could do, but holy poo poo, Microsoft's app offerings beat the poo poo out of the native apps on Windows Phone. It's actually really upsetting how much better they are.

I was wondering what to do about my music, since I have a music pass, but Groove populated my entire library right there, and even offers offline play.

The only things I'm actually missing from WP is the ability to stream YouTube audio and a decent Reddit client. Everything else just kind of works out of the box. I miss the live tiles, and the ability to pin specific things to the start screen, but I'm not sitting here regretting it like I thought I would.

I guess, in essence, Microsoft is successful in marketing its services to a wider audience, but I'm still pretty salty that it all works better on this stupid iPhone than their native OS.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Why does it matter if the carrier supports the OS? The radio should be all that matters.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Shumagorath posted:

Why does it matter if the carrier supports the OS? The radio should be all that matters.

Because Sprint and Verizon use(d?) CDMA networks, which are only common in the US and Japan. In terms of Sprint and Verizon, they don't(/didn't) use SIM cards; the phone itself is tied to the service. You can't just move a SIM from one phone to another, you have to call up the carrier and tell them the... IMEI I think? for them to activate. What that also means is they'll refuse to activate a phone that doesn't have their logo on it.

Since he's saying "doesn't support Windows Phone", I'm assuming he means Sprint. Verizon has had minimal support for WP for the longest time; I'm not even sure if they're offering any WP8.1 devices right now. Sprint had one WP7 or 7.5 device, I think, and that's about it. Between WP's small market share, and Sprint's small market share, it never made sense for them to offer the devices. Even with Sprint being the number 4 carrier in the US, the volume of users switching to AT&T/T-Mobile/Verizon/Cricket for WP was probably a rounding error.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Shumagorath posted:

The carrier I went to (Cspire) uses a CDMA network where, instead of a SIM card, the device itself has to be manually registered to the network. Long story short, you can only use what they sell in the store, and they don't sell WP devices.

They used to offer the HTC 7 Pro, but they charged an exorbitant amount ($299 on contract) for it.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
If you look on the Microsoftstore website you should be able to view phones by carrier. Verizon and sprint are both cdma carriers. You could buy one from the site and have Customer service activate the phone over the phone. Obviously you need to use another line to switch the phone. It's not a big deal

Windows 10 report for 920.

So far it seems a little faster. But there is no swipe to touch or office. While I understand that they are not shipping office with wp 10, I though since I was upgrading I should keep it.

Outlook is greatly improved.

Though its a small thing one thing that I really like is,the addition of arrows on the keyboard.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I saw some time ago, a patch or upgrade to the keyboard that let you make it smaller and off center it to the right or left. Was that supposed to be only for the 1320 and 1520 or Win10 only?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

joebuddah posted:

If you look on the Microsoftstore website you should be able to view phones by carrier. Verizon and sprint are both cdma carriers. You could buy one from the site and have Customer service activate the phone over the phone. Obviously you need to use another line to switch the phone. It's not a big deal

Windows 10 report for 920.

So far it seems a little faster. But there is no swipe to touch or office. While I understand that they are not shipping office with wp 10, I though since I was upgrading I should keep it.

Though its a small thing one thing that I really like is,the addition of arrows on the keyboard.

You download office from the store.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick
Over the weekend the vibration on my 930 seems to have reduced by at least half - I can barely feel it now compared to how it was before. Is there a setting anywhere that controls this? Or could it have fallen or gotten something knocked out of sync that would cause the vibration intensity to drop, and if so, how would I go about trying to fix it?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

joebuddah posted:

Does it have a dark theme like in 8.1?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Does it have a dark theme like in 8.1?

Not yet. It still only has a light theme :(.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

The whole white text on black thing seems to have largely disappeared in Windows 10 - a pity because it was one of my favourite design aspects of phone 7 and 8, along with the Panoramas and big clean text.

Even the Windows 10 version of Drastic's forums app looks much, much nicer in light mode than it does in black.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

beuges posted:

Over the weekend the vibration on my 930 seems to have reduced by at least half - I can barely feel it now compared to how it was before. Is there a setting anywhere that controls this? Or could it have fallen or gotten something knocked out of sync that would cause the vibration intensity to drop, and if so, how would I go about trying to fix it?
This happened with my 920 and somehow fixed itself months later. You probably did something to disturb the motor so... drop the phone in the opposite orientation?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Since he's saying "doesn't support Windows Phone", I'm assuming he means Sprint.

For the record: Sprint launched two WP8 devices, just neither was a Lumia.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Any rumors yet on whether the upcoming Win10 phones will have nice digitizers a la Surface or Wacom tablets?

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

The Lord Bude posted:

The whole white text on black thing seems to have largely disappeared in Windows 10 - a pity because it was one of my favourite design aspects of phone 7 and 8, along with the Panoramas and big clean text.

Even the Windows 10 version of Drastic's forums app looks much, much nicer in light mode than it does in black.

Shame, I always thought that the majority black screen must aid battery life, even if not by a significant amount.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

DarkMalfunction posted:

Shame, I always thought that the majority black screen must aid battery life, even if not by a significant amount.

It does if you have an Amoled screen, but not if you have an LCD.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

The Lord Bude posted:

This has more to do with both me spending much much more time working on the light theme, and not having a clear set on what the standard "dark theme" is. The default UWP dark theme is a dull blackish gray. The phone's dark theme is pitch black. I'm not sure what to go with, because Microsoft seems to mix it up between apps, depending on what Platform you're on.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The same light and dark greys as Edge would be fine - just avoid black as it looks too harsh with white text. Does Edge use the default dark colours?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Proper black actually looks best with white text in my opinion - and it allows the amoled screen to be mostly off. My biggest issue in the dark mode is that it clashes with the little blue rectangles that each bookmark entry is in. I miss the design aesthetic of bootleg robot's app - a simple list of white text for forums and bookmarks, in keeping with classic Metro design UI. Now that windows phone is moving to a more generic design I think the light theme fits in better.

In any event I'll be on iOS a month from now so it doesn't matter that much. I hope the iOS app is good.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Shumagorath posted:

This happened with my 920 and somehow fixed itself months later. You probably did something to disturb the motor so... drop the phone in the opposite orientation?

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Inspect Your Gadgets > Windows Phone - drop the phone in the opposite orientation

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
At least the issue self-corrected after five repair stores told me they didn't fix Nokias and it would be nearly impossible to do it myself :v:

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
So one thing that keeps confusing the gently caress out of me is Cortana and managing/tracking flights.

I love it when it works but I'm never sure when it actually is working and once or twice it hasn't. I just booked a flight which turned up in my Google calendar (where the confirmation was sent) but not in my MS calendar. I went to the email confirmation on my phone, circle dots did some thinking, then stopped. I then went to Cortana which (who?) had the flight and asked if I wanted to track it to which I said yes. The flight has now disappeared, presumably to show up closer to the time,

ANYWAY, my questions are:

1. What is the method Cortana picks out flights? Does it read my calendar which Google auto-updated (let's not go to how Google does it just yet) or does it (she?) scan my emails in the same way googles do?
2. Most importantly, and the crux, how do I check what Cortana is tracking? I have a couple flights in the next few weeks and I want to make sure Cortana is aware of them so I want to review and make sure. Where is this stored and can I access it?
3. While dicking around with this I went to MSN Travel (or "travel" app) thinking all this was stored in there and consolidated by Cortana. It turns out MSN Travel app is being discontinued on 28th Sept (complainey reviews: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/msn-travel/9wzdncrfj3ft, general dropping of MSN apps: http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-to-drop-a-number-of-its-msn-branded-apps/). Is it being replaced by Cortana, or is MS doing what MS does and getting bored with this particular toy, or something more sinister? I used the Travel app once or twice to (iirc) force Cortana to track a flight so there was certainly some integration there but it was always a bit woolly on what Cortana picked up or not so maybe those times were flukes who knows? Anyway, it doesn't instill much confidence in the future of Windophone if even MS is dropping apps.

As an aside Cortana sometimes reminds me of meetings and tells me when to leave to get there in current traffic. This is terrific! Sometimes though it doesn't which really kills the point of a personal assistant if you have to keep an eye on to make sure she's doing her goddamn job properly. I make sure all Outlook meeting/appointment fields are filled with location (incl. zip) and times, what else do I need to do to make this feature 100% reliable? Again the ability to review what Cortana is tracking is pretty critical for this.

EDIT: I've probably asked this before but I fotrget: I'm from the UK living in the US - I want cortana to understand me so I set language to English (UK). She stops working. What are the combinations of settings I need to switch to get things to work with local currency/location, language, and speech settings? The only time it seems to be fine is if my everything is set to US, or Speech matches "Region". What is "region" anyway?

EDIT EDIT: partial answer to the regionalisation of Cortana here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/why-isnt-cortana-in-my-region-or-language though it means I get UK-centric updates and news which may not be quite useful. Looks like I have to live with region and language (and region settings) being linked and stick with US everything.

Mr Funkface fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 27, 2015

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

I enter my flights manually and have never had an issue. This I do the night before as the same flight numbers are used daily for the two cities I live between, and don't want all my emails skimmed, so perhaps you're not noticing it being added and disappearing in a short window of time on certain airlines/individual flights? My only thought.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

soapgish posted:

I enter my flights manually and have never had an issue. This I do the night before as the same flight numbers are used daily for the two cities I live between, and don't want all my emails skimmed, so perhaps you're not noticing it being added and disappearing in a short window of time on certain airlines/individual flights? My only thought.

Yeah but I don't want to do it manually is the point. I'm fine having my email skimmed.

Good point on the re-used flight numbers, however it's been good at getting the right leg of a multi-leg flight of which I only travel one. The airline codes should see to that, and the date should get the right day. I've not noticed the same flight number from the same airport more than once in one day but then again I'm not sure how I would.

EDIT: either way what is stored and where is it?!

Mr Funkface fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Aug 26, 2015

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
If you guys don't want your e-mails skimmed but store them in a non-zero knowledge cloud then :lol:

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Mr Funkface posted:

EDIT: either way what is stored and where is it?!

This link shows what Cortana looks for.
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn632191.aspx?f=255&mspperror=-2147217396

I think you can find the tracked flight info in the reminders section of the notebook.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Leaked renders of the upcoming flagships.

Talkman is the one in black. 5.2 inch screen. Blue is cityman with 5.7 inch screen.

Both look..... interesting?
Certainly less distinctive than the 920 or 1020. Basically a combination of 730. And 650 body design with some design cues from the 830 camera (which was itself an homage to the 1020). Unfortunately, neither really looks that premium compared to the iPhone or galaxy series and rumor is they'll be priced along with those high end phones.

Frankly I think the camera ring on the Talkman is hideous and 5.7 inches is probably too big for me. However, this rumor is the smaller version will NOT have built in wireless charging.

Definitely not a home run for Microsoft...

CalvinandHobbes fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 27, 2015

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
On the top one, is that a power button in between the volume buttons, with very slight difference in lengths of each? That seems pretty dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I don't like how far from center the camera is. One of my biggest turn offs for the iphone is having the camera tucked in the corner.