Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I think revealed infected being able to still contribute dice to tasks is dumb and makes the game ovely difficult for the good guys. Unlike other games, the infected seem even stronger once revealed, if they wait for an opportune time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I played Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective and it was good but the scoring is beyond bullshit and it makes me really wonder what the designers were smoking.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Bottom Liner posted:

I think revealed infected being able to still contribute dice to tasks is dumb and makes the game ovely difficult for the good guys. Unlike other games, the infected seem even stronger once revealed, if they wait for an opportune time.

Are you sure that you are playing it correctly? The infected player only has two dice, which means he'll submit dice maybe once every other challenge. The rest of the time they are pulling back their two dice. They no longer choose task cards, and now one third of the cards (the text based ones) are pretty much auto wins for the loyal people.

The infected player has a much much harder time when revealed.

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

It'll be like a real doll that moves around and talks and stuff!

Cocks Cable posted:

This is exactly what I hate about it. You have to declare you are playing into a check BEFORE you roll die. Then you roll a die and are stuck with submitting at least one. The central mechanic of the game is essentially "Did you roll well?" Help and Sabotage is now entirely luck based. Generating paranoia and mistrust is now entirely luck based. And ultimately there really isn't much there to argue, bluff, and agonize over. While playing it, I was reminded of my masochistic experiences with Fortune and Glory.

Dark Moon is great for people who like dice games. I will give it that. But as a short traitor game, Resistance and ONW do a better job of distilling the experience.

I personally don't like dice games. But I think Dark Moon handles it pretty well. I like that the dice are mostly negative, so you expect to roll poorly and have to deal with it.

You only have to submit one die each roll. Generally if you're down to 1 or 2 dice in your pool, it's risky to go in on a roll if the other players can handle it. So far we haven't really pushed our luck much. Especially if you're down to one die, just stay out of the roll and get your two dice back. It's not worth the risk of getting a negative and the odds are definitely against you in that case. However if a couple of people have already declared themselves out, you might have to go in just for the chance that you can help. The one player that can push their luck a bit is the character that can re roll her dice. I would say that there's a lot of bluffing if you're Infected about whether you should go in on a roll or not. If you have a bunch of dice, sure go in, everyone will expect you too. But now you are almost guaranteed to get negative dice to submit while you lament your horrible luck. Hell I once rolled 4 dice as an Infected, then immediately cursed my actual luck and picked up the only negative die to submit. Then rerolled and tossed in a positive to throw off suspicion. So I wasted my rolls for a net result of zero on the task and then got to go out on the next one to refill my dice. If you only have 1 or 2 dice, then it's a great cover to stay out. Also you don't have to be honest about the number of dice you have behind your screen. You can't get more than your limit, but if you have 2, you can say you only have 1 and stay out of a check. Will someone notice and call you on it? Maybe. But they can't check. Once you make it to your turn and get all your dice back if it's clear that you were lying, just reveal. So far no one has bothered to track other player's dice that well though.

I didn't check all of them, but I believe there is only one task that allows you to check the loyalty card of another player and you take it out of the deck in small player count games, so it's not really an issue. I think it's best used to confirm someone isn't infected than the other way around. Otherwise it's just your word against theirs. Plus if they think they're going to be outed they can just refuse and tank the crisis.

Oh, plus the number of black and red dice in the pool is public knowledge. It's fairly easy to wait till the uninfected don't have a red die and then soft reveal while hanging onto your black die. If they don't have a red at all, they can't vote to quarantine you. This goes double if you're also the commander, since he is the tie breaker. We had something like that happen last game. It was tied, 2 to 2 on dice and the two players that didn't have reds would have made it 4 to 2 and quarantined the player, but were unable to vote. Next turn, she revealed with doubled effect from the final goal's ongoing effect and won the game. It was a really close! If we'd been able to quarantine her, we'd have won.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Rusty Kettle posted:

Are you sure that you are playing it correctly? The infected player only has two dice, which means he'll submit dice maybe once every other challenge. The rest of the time they are pulling back their two dice. They no longer choose task cards, and now one third of the cards (the text based ones) are pretty much auto wins for the loyal people.

The infected player has a much much harder time when revealed.

Yeah, in 3 of my 4 games the two infected waited until we were rolling bad and had a lot of damage then revealed and wrecked us that round. Maybe it was a string of bad luck for the survivors and well played strategies from the infected, but so far the game seems pretty hard to win unless the infected get unlucky or don't know what they're doing. I like the game and mechanics a lot though, so I'm not writing it off or anything.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah, in 3 of my 4 games the two infected waited until we were rolling bad and had a lot of damage then revealed and wrecked us that round. Maybe it was a string of bad luck for the survivors and well played strategies from the infected, but so far the game seems pretty hard to win unless the infected get unlucky or don't know what they're doing. I like the game and mechanics a lot though, so I'm not writing it off or anything.

That is how the infected should play, but did they both reveal on the same round? An infected can only reveal on their turn as their action, so only one can reveal at a time. Also, they don't use their power in the brink.

Otherwise, maybe be more suspicious. It sounds like they did most of their damage while unrevealed, and just revealed to push you over the edge. Quarantine is more detrimental to infected players than non-infected, so while locking up the wrong person can hurt, it may not be as bad as letting an infected person run free.

I'm just saying this because, if anything, our games found it harder for the infected players. We managed to root them out pretty quickly.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Tekopo posted:

I played Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective and it was good but the scoring is beyond bullshit and it makes me really wonder what the designers were smoking.

I agree. Holmes always solves crimes in like 4 moves which is downright ridiculous.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

It isn't even possible to find out the answers to all of those questions in 4 moves so I dunno what the gently caress you are supposed to do.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Tekopo posted:

It isn't even possible to find out the answers to all of those questions in 4 moves so I dunno what the gently caress you are supposed to do.

Be Holmes.

We just don't even bother with scoring. It's already enough to just actually solve the crime.

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013
Playing for a score in Sherlock really seems silly. These are ten detailed adventures with lots of great (except the typos) writing. You will only get to play each adventure once. Why on earth would you try to reduce the experience to as few paragraphs as possible?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

lordsummerisle posted:

Playing for a score in Sherlock really seems silly. These are ten detailed adventures with lots of great (except the typos) writing. You will only get to play each adventure once. Why on earth would you try to reduce the experience to as few paragraphs as possible?

Because it's a game which ostensibly wants you to go for as good a score as possible, since the game tells you as such. If the game's objective is actually "read the writing" then the scoring system is fundamentally at odds with that.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Tekopo posted:

Considering the era in which it was designed, most probably copious amounts of cocaine.

Tekopo posted:

Treat it as a score attack mode — how close can you get to the #1 spot. Of course, the problem there is that different cases are scored differently and inconsistently and that you can't really retry once you've run through it.

Lucky Samurai
Oct 4, 2011

Being jaded about something is so cool. You're just as useless as everybody else, but you get to be irritating and bitter about it.
I got my hands on 3 COIN games: Cuba Libre, A Distant Plain, and Fire in the Lake. My question is, which is the best one to play first, having played none of them before?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Cuba Libre, you lucky dog. It's got half the spaces and a whole lot less going on. There are also very few troops and a limited number of guerillas.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

To be clear, half of the questions are supposed to be "bonus questions" that Holmes didn't bother solving - they're there to compensate you for following leads that solved "side quest mysteries". But yeah, often Holmes effectively just cheats and decides to follow nonsensical leads that just happen to turn up answers fast. We tried to score high a few times; it kind of works, but generally we had more fun not worrying about it.

In general, most of the missions are fine, though none are super clever. Again, I feel like I should warn people off of missions 3 (mystified murderess) and 6 (mummies), both of which had their "answer" changed for the recent edition without corresponding changes to their stories. Play them if you want, but don't feel too bad if you don't end up with agreeing with Holmes.

Mild spoiler that might save you a bit more irritation: One mission features a nonsense cryptogram, that also has spelling mistakes making it reasonably painful to solve. The cryptogram part is an elaborately awful red herring that you can just ignore.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Aug 24, 2015

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Foehammer posted:

While on topic, anyone in SE Michigan near Novi? We should meet up and talk about this thread.

8 and Woodward. Hit me up.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 24, 2015

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
If any of the SE michigan people are interested in games on Tuesday I have a friend visiting from out of town who wants to have people over. We're at 3 right now and I don't want to go over 5-6, but just PM me if you're interested.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

MC2552John posted:

I got my hands on 3 COIN games: Cuba Libre, A Distant Plain, and Fire in the Lake. My question is, which is the best one to play first, having played none of them before?

Cuba, Plain, Fire, which is the order of increasing complexity

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
Why is bossmonster bad again?

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

Why is bossmonster bad again?

It's random schlocky stuff with nerd bait graphic design and theme.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

MC2552John posted:

Who did you steal cuba libre from?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

sonatinas posted:

Who did you steal liberate cuba libre from?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

You get a copy of CL if you roll a 1 attacking a game store.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

MC2552John posted:

trip report please.

tia

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

How does tempo work in practice, in the COIN games? In Twilight Struggle there's this dynamic where certain areas of the board become 'hot' because of ops in the region or events opening things up suddenly. What's that like with a 4-player asymmetric setup?

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013

Countblanc posted:

Because it's a game which ostensibly wants you to go for as good a score as possible, since the game tells you as such. If the game's objective is actually "read the writing" then the scoring system is fundamentally at odds with that.

I agree. I think the scoring system was mostly to make the game feel gamey and also allow for "look how brilliant sherlock is" reasoning. For one of the cases, Sherlock doesn't even leave his house, just sends out a few inquiries.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I played Dead of Winter yesterday because the host had just bought it and he's a nice person that was offering free snacks and drinks.

First game was a bust because the traitor outed herself on turn one, due to not noticing the cards have the locations they come from printed on them. We started again.

Second game there was no traitor, we won easily, although I'm pretty sure we missed rolling the exposure dice a couple of times and one character keep using his ability more often than he could (anywhere instead of only on the colony). Zero interesting choices to be made, with every character going towards where he could draw more cards, and the ones with useful colony skills waiting there. We got several weapons, which made the zombies irrelevant, and on 3 Crossroad cards we decided that Nothing Happened.

Most interesting part of the game was when one player boycotted the last test so 2 characters died and he could fulfil his objective (get 3 survivors off the board). He was not the traitor.

tl;dr: Dead of Winter is still a bad game.

Tekopo posted:

"How can we make Sherlock an even bigger insufferable jerk"?

Fake edit: Oh, God, this has just arrived.

It's Tash Kalar and some LOtR

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Fat Samurai posted:

Fake edit: Oh, God, this has just arrived.

That's what they all say.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Look you don't need to hide your board shames, this is a safe zone.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I admit it. I need 4 copies of DoW. 1 is not enough anymore.:negative:

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
Anyone care to share thoughts on Imperial Assault expansions?

pew pew pew

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tekopo posted:

Look you don't need to hide your board shames, this is a safe zone.

Quoting for easy location next time I criticise Vlaada and someone says "Go back to Talisman!"

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Jedit posted:

Quoting for easy location next time I criticise Vlaada and someone says "Go back to Talisman!"

No that's board shaming not board shames

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Rumda posted:

No that's board shaming not board shames
Yeah, you got them the wrong way around.

EDIT: To be fair, board shames was not something that was started in this thread so he might have not known the term

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Aug 24, 2015

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The Mantis posted:

Anyone care to share thoughts on Imperial Assault expansions?

pew pew pew

Hi you're looking for this thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3658006&perpage=40&pagenumber=49 I only play campaign with friends so don't know what expansions add what. i did buy the sweet ATST model and the scenario was p cool. It was p much Endor bunker assault.

Fat Samurai posted:

So does your copy have space alert inside the box to save space too?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Does anyone know where I could get German/French board games shipped to the U.S.? I'm specifically looking for x wing stuff but nobody knew in the x wing thread. I'm hoping that since FFG was acquired by Asmodee this might be easier. Does the EU have anything similar to coolstuffinc or Miniatures market?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

Does anyone know where I could get German/French board games shipped to the U.S.? I'm specifically looking for x wing stuff but nobody knew in the x wing thread. I'm hoping that since FFG was acquired by Asmodee this might be easier. Does the EU have anything similar to coolstuffinc or Miniatures market?
Boardgame Guru ships to the US. There tend to be quite a lot of different smaller websites within the EU rather than one big central one. Isn't everying available for X-Wing in the EU also available in the US though? :confused:

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Amazon.de and Amazon.fr are also things

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Thanks. Never thought to look up Amazon either. I just want French and German language versions of ships for my friends and I. Sometimes the names of things are funnier to English ears. (We also understand or speak German and French.)

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Aug 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

How does tempo work in practice, in the COIN games? In Twilight Struggle there's this dynamic where certain areas of the board become 'hot' because of ops in the region or events opening things up suddenly. What's that like with a 4-player asymmetric setup?

In the COIN games you still have the option of either playing events or playing into a variable amount of spaces depending on how many resources you want to spend. This can lead to lulls and surges as players save up resources or perform a massive operation. Many actions require a lot of setup, for example Government forces need to move into an area, sweep insurgents there, then assault in order to remove insurgents, all of which takes an action. So the insurgents either have to respond to that with their own moves in the area, take it on the chin to save resources or take advantage elsewhere. The other 2 factions can either assist in some way or take advantage of the power vacuum themselves.

The uncertain distribution of the propaganda cards affect the tempo as well - the longer it has been since the last propaganda card, the more tense big moves become. If a player is in reach of their victory condition and a propaganda card is likely to come up soon, the other players may dogpile on them to stop them winning if possible.

Like Twilight Struggle, the cards tend to 'open up' areas or do unpredictable things while the ops are more efficient. Unlike Twlight Struggle they can do weird things like affect the dynamic between two groups, for example by preventing two groups from attacking each other by giving them some kind of material benefit. Really though, the tempo and dynamic between the 4 factions really varies between all the games, and working out the subtleties of the faction relationships is one of the things that makes the COIN games so fascinating to me.