Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

The Vosgian Beast posted:

The narrative is that mindless hordes of SJWs are pushing them out of nerddom by daring to exist in the places they do and occasionally make normative statements.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this because I haven't followed this in the slightest, and when I googled hugo awards the second hit was

quote:

Set Phasers to Kill! SJWs Burn Down The Hugo Awards To Prove How Tolerant And Welcoming They Are
Breitbart News‎ - 1 hour ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That article has one pun for every two sentences.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

divabot posted:

So, looks like Eliezer will have to move to plan B!
What's Yud got to do with the Hugos?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Cingulate posted:

What's Yud got to do with the Hugos?

When he heard about the Sad Puppies he made plans to do the same to get his Harry Potter fanfic into the Hugos

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DarklyDreaming posted:

When he heard about the Sad Puppies he made plans to do the same to get his Harry Potter fanfic into the Hugos
To me, the idea of an adult man being this serious about their Harry Potter fanfic titled "Harry Potter And The Misapplication Of Bayes" is even more mind-boggling than the Basilisk poo poo.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900
I tried searching for the Vox Day community's justification for hating this year's graphic novels and all I could find was, roughly, "has lesbians, therefore filth" (Rat Queens) and "has Muslims, therefore vile" (Ms. Marvel).

Definitely the words of people who don't want identity politics in comic books :ironicat:

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Curvature of Earth posted:

I tried searching for the Vox Day community's justification for hating this year's graphic novels and all I could find was, roughly, "has lesbians, therefore filth" (Rat Queens) and "has Muslims, therefore vile" (Ms. Marvel).

Definitely the words of people who don't want identity politics in comic books :ironicat:
Clearly, we must feature more lesbian muslims (muslim lesbians?) in future graphic novels, as an rear end in a top hat deterrent.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Curvature of Earth posted:

tbf I think Vox Day, unlike the Sad Puppies, has been pretty open about having a political agenda. It's the others that put on the contortion acts.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I'm not opposed to either lesbians, mulisms, or lesbian muslisms in mainstream media as long as they're not dog whistles for right wing milita types or wank material for straight guys.

Also, :lol: if you don't thing at least part of their objection to Ms. Marvel is that she is wearing a more modest costume instead of that black and yellow outfight with the thigh high stripper boots.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Pierson posted:

Nah he does state it if you do a Ctrl-F for 'graphic novel':
That's not VD though?

His reply was:

quote:

It was on the Rabid Puppy nomination list and it's on the ballot ... so why No Award?

It is my gift to les chiots incendiaires. They wanted to burn down everything. I gave them one category this year. I am kind.

"my gift ... I am kind."

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The greatest tragedy is that Rat Queens deserved that award.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
And for anyone still confused about all of it, the Wired writeup on the Hugo shitstorm is very good.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Vox Day posted:

“I’m not going to go into details, but I will say that it is so significant that even my kids qualify for tribal membership. I’m a mix. I mean, I’m also considered a Mexican. I have the genetic analysis.”

Translation: Whiter than I am.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Heresiarch posted:

And for anyone still confused about all of it, the Wired writeup on the Hugo shitstorm is very good.

The leader of the Rabid Puppies is a TvTroper apparently :shepface: I hate that I know this.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Heresiarch posted:

quote:

In our telephone call a few weeks back, Beale explained that his plan was a “Xanatos gambit.” “That’s where you set it up so that no matter what your enemy does, he loses and you win.”

What would this guy be like if he ever read an actual book?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The leader of the Rabid Puppies is a TvTroper apparently :shepface: I hate that I know this.

Same here. Wow, just wow. Isn't this just hilarious, a troper tried to ballot stuff the Hugo awards because it went against his views of more scifi stories.

They even use the "but I'm a minority too, so I can't be a bigot."

I feel glad that they were so soundly stomped.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Wait, really?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Darth Walrus posted:

Wait, really?
Yes, TV Tropes decided that a "Xanatos gambit" is when the clever antagonist sets it up so that when the hero does a thing, their goals are furthered in some way. It's apparently after the guy from Gargoyles.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Nessus posted:

Yes, TV Tropes decided that a "Xanatos gambit" is when the clever antagonist sets it up so that when the hero does a thing, their goals are furthered in some way. It's apparently after the guy from Gargoyles.

Oh, right, I thought you meant you recognised him as a specific troper.

Maybe Rottweiler or Jhimmibhob?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jack Gladney posted:

In our telephone call a few weeks back, Beale explained that his plan was a “Xanatos gambit.” “That’s where you set it up so that no matter what your enemy does, he loses and you win.”
And much like an unfalsifiable hypothesis - something not even, or less than, wrong.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Nessus posted:

And here I thought he was making a clever allusion all on his own to the most sophisticated art he'd ever encountered, a true bon mot to be savored only by the elect few adults who watch children's cartoons.

I hope he hangs himself in the bathroom.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Given the incredibly generic contents of most sci-fi and fantasy novels, I'd believe it. The thing that strikes me as most appalling about the whole ordeal isn't that some guy is upset about skeletons and their treating people with respect, it's that he views turning something he likes a whole lot into a flaming shitpile instead of sharing it with 'people who have the temerity to write about things that he doesn't like' as a net win for 'his team'. I don't think it's the skeletons who have embraced 'scorched earth tactics' here.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

My friend just told me the following and I thought you'd like to hear:

quote:

A few years ago I tried to read a book written by one of the sad puppy dudes, the monster hunter international series, and I couldn't take it at ALL seriously because in the first few pages it was like "UH YEAH I'M PRETTY MUCH AN AWESOME BADASS, MY BOSS IS A PIECE OF poo poo WEAK LIBERAL BUT LUCKILY I CONCEALED-CARRY MY BIGASS GUN AT WORK SO WHEN HE TURNED INTO A WEREWOLF I BEAT HIS rear end UP AND SHOT HIM"

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
The woman who wrote the Wired piece knew exactly how to make Vox Day/Beale look like an idiot: quote him. The man is a neverending font of distilled cringe.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Woolie Wool posted:

The books that are most widely regarded as modern literature are exactly the sort of thing reactionaries are trying and failing to keep out of genre fiction. :ironicat:

The general idea is that most areas of fiction and art have been agressively colonized by Judeo-Bolsheviks Cultural Marxists, and the only areas now free of Judeo-Bolshevik Cultural Marxist influence are the nerd-dominated stuff like SF or video games.

Thus, the support for stuff like Gamergate and this. It's a fight for their own existence! Kind of! If you squint and interpret everything everyone left of center-right says as a demand for Stalinist purging!

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

My friend just told me the following and I thought you'd like to hear:

I think I reconginzed that from an aborted lets read. I'm not sure how the hell I recognize it since it is so generic it blends in with the wallpaper.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Just put in some Austrian school worship like in the second Hayek v Keynes youtube video and you're all set!

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

The Vosgian Beast posted:

The general idea is that most areas of fiction and art have been agressively colonized by Judeo-Bolsheviks Cultural Marxists, and the only areas now free of Judeo-Bolshevik Cultural Marxist influence are the nerd-dominated stuff like SF or video games.

Thus, the support for stuff like Gamergate and this. It's a fight for their own existence! Kind of! If you squint and interpret everything everyone left of center-right says as a demand for Stalinist purging!

Is there a Grand Unifying Theory of Nerd Awfulness somewhere?

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Woolie Wool posted:

Yes, the Five Geek Social Fallacies and A Group Is Its Own Worst Enemy together form the lovely nerd dynamics bible.

Curvature of Earth has a new favorite as of 00:15 on Aug 24, 2015

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Woolie Wool posted:

The dude above me has good links but my own opinion is even less sympathetic:

"Nerds will aggressively pursue stasis/stagnation in their hobby when change/evolution would diminish their influence or require change in their behavior."

I guess there we're getting into the semantics of nerd vs geek and positive vs negative fandom but yeah you're right Cingulate I'm being too harsh, I'm just a little annoyed at the entire drat situation. I bought my first sci-fi books because they had a Hugo sticker on the front. :(

Pierson has a new favorite as of 00:40 on Aug 24, 2015

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Counterpoint: real geeks are some of the best people to have ever lived, and if you try to quantify your intuitions, you'll agree.
The sad fate of the sad puppies is an example.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Even in gaming I don't think that the majority of people who play video games have the fanatical devotion to misogyny that characterizes gamergate. It's easy to assume that it comes from being socially isolated/maladjusted but it's not like that's a requirement for a group of blue collar misogynists or rear end in a top hat Christian bigots. They're just Freeper types who read sci-fi.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

That Dave Sim article...Jesus H. Christ that guy is the most frothing at the mouth insane misogynist I have ever seen, and I've seen Gamergate. He probably imagines some future where (exclusively male) babies are gestated in artificial uterus machines, and none of the men (all men) who populate the earth have ever seen a woman or really remember what women were, and because they've learned to manfully disconnect themselves from the yonic vampire void of EMOTION :supaburn: they cannot produce or appreciate anything of artistic value and the greatest treasure of their worthless culture is a comic book series about an aardvark. Beneath a soot-blackened sky thousands of monumental concrete penises reach for the heavens, containing the sleeping quarters of the worker units, whose entire existence is working to create more and better machines for the glory of the Male Light. They file through the streets, silently, obediently to the factories, where they sit down at their appointed benches and praise the almighty Phallussiah before beginning the 16-hour work day.

Woolie Wool has a new favorite as of 01:54 on Aug 24, 2015

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

The "nerds will seek stagnation" thing is sadly true, although it's usually true only of a certain percentage of the subculture, the most hardcore obsessives. Another example is how D&D 5th edition is essentially a throwback to much earlier editions, throwing out decades of more modern game design, because WOTC is more interested in the money of the hardcore "grognard" pen-and-paper RPG players than they are in the money of the kind of people who play (for example) 13th Age or something.

This makes economic sense, you can sell endless supplements and rules to those kinds of players because they loathe the idea of free-form play and will always need more official material. Games like 13th Age are written specifically for players to go off and improvise and do their own thing so they don't require new content streams that make money flow back to the publisher. But these hardcore players are even more resistant to change than your average video gamer is, which is one of the reasons that pen-and-paper RPGs have failed to make the leap to the mainstream like so many other nerd hobbies. Not the only reason by far but it's certainly been a part of it.

See also the hardcore Star Wars fandom's reaction to the unceremonious dispatch of the Extended Universe canon, etc. The more obsessive the fan, the less they like change.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Woolie Wool posted:

That Dave Sim article...Jesus H. Christ that guy is the most frothing at the mouth insane misogynist I have ever seen, and I've seen Gamergate. He probably imagines some future where (exclusively male) babies are gestated in artificial uterus machines, and none of the men (all men) who populate the earth have ever seen a woman or really remember what women were, and because they've learned to manfully disconnect themselves from the yonic vampire void of EMOTION :supaburn: they cannot produce or appreciate anything of artistic value and the greatest treasure of their worthless culture is a comic book series about an aardvark. Beneath a soot-blackened sky thousands of monumental concrete penises reach for the heavens, containing the sleeping quarters of the worker units, whose entire existence is working to create more and better machines for the glory of the Male Light. They file through the streets, silently, obediently to the factories, where they sit down at their appointed benches and praise the almighty Phallussiah before beginning the 16-hour work day.

:dogbutton:

You have an interesting ability to follow these ideology's visions through to their terrifying conclusions.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Klaus88 posted:

:dogbutton:

You have an interesting ability to follow these ideology's visions through to their terrifying conclusions.

Three towering white marble lingams tower over the Church of the Phallussiah, where the workers gather on Sunday, their only day off from work. Here they worship their prophet Cerebus, who smote the vaginaed hell-beasts of the Merged Void in the Final War, and the triumph of Reason over the Emotion of Woman, man's greatest adversary. Hymns of perfectly structured, immaculately tuneless, mathematical precision waft over the congregation as they partake of the sacrament of the Seminal Energy (the details of which are left unexplained as an exercise for the reader's imagination).

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

I've mentioned it before, but I love that this whole thing is just Italian Futurism again. Being able to count all the recurring themes in their idiocy makes me feel like all the time I spent studying it wasn't wasted after all.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Tiberius Thyben posted:

I've mentioned it before, but I love that this whole thing is just Italian Futurism again. Being able to count all the recurring themes in their idiocy makes me feel like all the time I spent studying it wasn't wasted after all.

What was Italian Futurism?

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Basically the artistic part of Fascism. In truth they were more like concurrent movements and the futurists eventually fell into disfavour and got purged.

E: and yes I agree with Tiberius Thyben that a lot of this echoes the same kind of masculinism and violence that the futurists loved a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Night10194 posted:

It's not just "the artistic part of fascism", it's fascism as art. It's a violently emotional and histrionic (:ironicat:) form of expression based on glorifying raw, naked power. Its themes include loud, powerful machines, monumental but sparsely decorated buildings, weapons and warfare, swaggering martial music, and young strapping white men in uniforms making Hard Decisions and dying heroically for their country.

Hey this sounds like nerd-dom, only the young white guys in futurism are hot.