Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Should I play this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

alcharagia posted:

Should I play this game

Do you like fun

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***

alcharagia posted:

Should I play this game

The question isnt "Should i play this game". The question is "How much should i play this game".

And the answer is a lot. A whole Lot.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Firing up EDF 2017 Portable if anyone wants to get some online going. theyear199X if you wanna add me.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
I should throw my hat in here, If anyone wants to play EDF 2025 with me on PSN ( i use PSNOW ) toss me a friend request at Talk-c

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
For those that have 4.1, how is the online? Is it a total shitshow with random disconnects,crashes,freezing, black screens or does it have an actual semblance of stability?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I haven't played in a while but I've never been booted. Some lag occasionally, but nothing crippling. All in all it's pretty good.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Marogareh posted:

For those that have 4.1, how is the online? Is it a total shitshow with random disconnects,crashes,freezing, black screens or does it have an actual semblance of stability?

Never had any problems

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Marogareh posted:

For those that have 4.1, how is the online?

Quoting myself from the previous page:

Storm One posted:

Playing almost everyday since the game came out, well over 100 hours total, and have had less than 5 disconnects and a couple of times where me or another player was freaking out teleporting during the first few seconds of a mission.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Good to hear. There's nothing worse than waiting for a room to finish only for it to disconnect after the level finally loaded.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The loading times are really short too

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
Is there any remote likelihood of this game having a digital preorder? (edit: 4.1 na release i mean)

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Talkc posted:

Is there any remote likelihood of this game having a digital preorder? (edit: 4.1 na release i mean)
Pretty sure there was a preorder for 4.1 on JP PSN. It will likely have a digital preorder, so as long as XSEED isn't completely incompetent.

Edit: now that I think about it, there might not have been a preorder, because the preorder DLC was available free to purchases on JP PSN for a week or two after release.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Note: Because of how goofy PSN does preorder stuff, if you don't preorder the game but still buy a digital copy launch day, you'll get the preorder bonuses.

Which in this case is an anime Idolmaster tank and a bright gold spider mech.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Neo Helbeast posted:

Note: Because of how goofy PSN does preorder stuff, if you don't preorder the game but still buy a digital copy launch day, you'll get the preorder bonuses.

Which in this case is an anime Idolmaster tank and a bright gold spider mech.

Did they confirm US preorder stuff somewhere?

I assume I should get this stuff if I have an Amazon preorder already? It is important I get a ridiculous anime tank.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
Okay, im new to this game series. Just how niche is this?
I played EDF on vita, and Edf 2025 on PSnow and the american Insect armageddon on pc, but i had only ever heard of the series second hand from goons.

Google is telling me absolutely nothing about this game. I only know of its release date from retailer postings.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

It's a pretty niche game in as much as it has a small following, but it's also really loving fun and over the top in the best of ways. If you would like to destroy an army of 20-feet-ants with heavy weaponry and watch mandibles and thoraxes sail gracefully through the sky while simultaneously and accidentally levelling several city blocks despite being a completely normal guy with a rocket launcher, then this is the game for you. The PS4 version basically runs perfectly, multiplayer now works, it's great

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
Im definitely going to have to get in with goons on playing this. Ive only played the games solo ( other than insect armageddon ). I just need to know where to put my money that i can get a copy.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Oh, sorry, I was being an idiot. The JP version was up on the PSN, and the US one's up there to preorder now I think, it's probably going to get a tiny physical run

Changes for EDF4 - You've got four dudes to choose from now: Soldier (bog standard EDF guy), Wing Diver (girl with jetpack and lasers), Fencer (big armored dude who skids and slides everywhere with dual swords and shoulder weapons), Air Raider (summons in tanks, helis, mecha, powerup fields). HP levels aren't shared between classes which kind of sucks but at least in mp all players gain benefit from a box that is picked up.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
So it has the same classes as 2025. What else did they add? I saw a video of japanese players fighting in a giant mech.

Does wing diver get anything crazy new? ( the special weapons sucked rear end early on in 2025 )

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Talkc posted:

So it has the same classes as 2025. What else did they add? I saw a video of japanese players fighting in a giant mech.

Does wing diver get anything crazy new? ( the special weapons sucked rear end early on in 2025 )

It is a directors cut of 2025 hence the 4.1 from 4. There are some new weapons and vehicles but most of the changes/additions are mechanic based and balance changes. Whale flares are now gun fired instead of thrown, Fencers now always have the option to dash forward, and the Wing Divers energy refill rate got modified as well as consumption. What I think is the biggest change is the addition of AI vehicles. They make the higher end levels significantly easier.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

There are new monster variants as well, changes to maps. Underground cave maps are now pitch black with actual lighting (which is really cool). Loading times are pretty much instant, and performance is typically a rock solid 60 FPS.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
EDF 4.1 makes me regret buying 2025, and I had a LOT of fun with that title! But unlike 2017 I haven't gotten 100% on it, and the small adjustments in 4.1 would really help...

Amorphous Bob
Sep 4, 2007

Buck up and be a man, ya' little bitch.
As someone who loved EDF2017 and IA, it looks like I'd love the gently caress out of this game as well. However, should I hold off on buying 2025 or will 4.1 be patched into it on it's NA release?

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Amorphous Bob posted:

As someone who loved EDF2017 and IA, it looks like I'd love the gently caress out of this game as well. However, should I hold off on buying 2025 or will 4.1 be patched into it on it's NA release?

4.1 is a whole separate release not a title update, wait for it.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Neo Helbeast posted:

4.1 is a whole separate release not a title update, wait for it.
It's also a PS4 release, where 2025 was 360 and PS3.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Stelas posted:

The PS4 version basically runs perfectly, multiplayer now works, it's great

It should be clarified that perfectly in this game means that it still will occasionally slow down to literally single-digit fps, it's just much more rare than it used to be, and thus more gratifying when it happens. In this series, bringing hardware to its knees is a feature, not a bug.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Storm One posted:

It should be clarified that perfectly in this game means that it still will occasionally slow down to literally single-digit fps, it's just much more rare than it used to be, and thus more gratifying when it happens. In this series, bringing hardware to its knees is a feature, not a bug.
The only time I've had the framerate slowing down to that degree is in a certain map with a lot of a new monster type (Eruginusu).

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
Have there been any announcements regarding EU release and cross-region online play?

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!

Storm One posted:

Have there been any announcements regarding EU release and cross-region online play?

I really need to know this too. I have an aussie buddy i game with, and if he cant play it thats no bueno.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
EDF servers are usually Japan and Not Japan but obviously I can't say for sure as I don't have it yet!

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

It looks like Earth Defense Force 4.1 is being published by pqube in EU, so it's up in the air if cross region play will be a thing, since there are different publishers per region. I went ahead and tweeted them about it, but I kinda doubt it will happen.

If cross region play isn't a thing, you can still import the US version or buy it from the US PSN store, only drawback is you'll need to grab DLC through the US PSN store.

Also, it looks like the EU version doesn't have a release date announced yet.

gibbed fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Aug 22, 2015

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.
I do kinda worry that I'll end up buying the US version despite already having the JP version, only simply because I actually want to understand weapon names and quick communication lines again, and be faced with a tiny playerbase like 2025 PS3. Not like I really took much advantage of the fairly large one Japan would have, just kinda fizzled out and lost interest because it's not like I could effectively communicate with anyone.

Online 4 player is where you're gonna see the good ol' sub-10 framerates frequently, so be prepared for that.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Mediocrity Goggles posted:

Online 4 player is where you're gonna see the good ol' sub-10 framerates frequently, so be prepared for that.

Only if there's some sort of networking issue specifically with the Western versions, as the Japanese 4.1's online seemed pretty solid in that regard IME.

It would indeed suck if it's Japan and Not-Japan again (or, worse still, JP, NA and EU), especially given they have a preset messaging system in place since 4; on the bright side, at least this time there'll be no playerbase split due to console.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Mediocrity Goggles posted:

Admittedly, I haven't played with 4 players on higher difficulties and late-game levels, where high-end gear is unlocked. So I hadn't experienced any of that.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
What are the snafu's associated with having a sub account in a different region. Im assuming PS+ etc doesnt carry over, but are there also purchasing issues?

I basically just want to see what kind of hoops it would take my Australian friend to jump through to play this with me assuming the NA and EU versions dont share servers.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Talkc posted:

What are the snafu's associated with having a sub account in a different region. Im assuming PS+ etc doesnt carry over, but are there also purchasing issues?

I basically just want to see what kind of hoops it would take my Australian friend to jump through to play this with me assuming the NA and EU versions dont share servers.

He just needs a valid payment method for the region the account is in. Paypal, psn cards, something.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
All missions cleared in EDF 2017 Portable :getin:

Now I just need to grind weapons and gunship kills so I can platinum it before EDF 2 comes!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Light Gun Man posted:

All missions cleared in EDF 2017 Portable :getin:

Now I just need to grind weapons and gunship kills so I can platinum it before EDF 2 comes!

Only took me a month :v:

Bring on EDF 2p and 4.1!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
It loving sucks that 4.1 got delayed to December 8th apparently. At least I'll have yakuza 5 and the bloodborne dlc to tide me over. I saw some new videos of the localization and how the depth crawler appears in tunnels is hilarious to me.