Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mak0rz posted:

Are giant red balls running amok down city streets OSHA? Because

I remember that Saints Row 3 DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
There's a YouTube video that has a subtitled compilation of the last moments from various airplane accidents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9WgC4OijPA

quote:

"We're going down Larry!"
"I know it!" (explosion)

"It's the end!"
-whoop whoop whoop "PULL UP!"- (explosion)

"Hit the water! HIT THE WATER! HIT THE WATER!" (static)
"Ok. We're going to play some music here and find out what happened to the helicopter."

It's pretty chilling stuff. :stare:

bustercasey
Apr 9, 2012
Gary’s Answer

Carbon dioxide posted:

By the way, that pilot isn't dead yet. He's fighting for his life in the hospital at the moment.

I'm glad, in some way, that he at least had the decency to go down with it. I was at first looking for a parachute. Although, idk if ejecting is even an option with that plane in particular.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Three-Phase posted:

There's a YouTube video that has a subtitled compilation of the last moments from various airplane accidents.

All of those should end with this.

https://youtu.be/BlTZyHV0kAY

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
Was hoping for "Oh ye of little faith" or "Guys, I'm concerned".

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

IPCRESS posted:

Was hoping for "Oh ye of little faith"

Ask and ye shall receive: https://youtu.be/KgnkhumTwqo

It's my favorite because it's the most pilots.flv thing ever.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Nice and safe wood decoration technique

https://www.facebook.com/ilovewoodwork/videos/1637066213247186/

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Theris posted:

Ask and ye shall receive: https://youtu.be/KgnkhumTwqo

It's my favorite because it's the most pilots.flv thing ever.

"Think I can make it in between there?"

"Nope."

"Oh ye of little fait-"CRUNCH

:allears:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I guess, I'm not seeing what you do? How is that any less safe than, say, welding?

It's not like they just attach electrodes on there while they're live. And although this is using electricity to do so , burning wood is a perfectly valid decoration technique in woodworking.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

flosofl posted:

I guess, I'm not seeing what you do? How is that any less safe than, say, welding?

It's not like they just attach electrodes on there while they're live. And although this is using electricity to do so , burning wood is a perfectly valid decoration technique in woodworking.

I've seen an instructional video where the guy uses a microwave oven transformer and paints the wood with the baking soda solution before energizing it. Looked pretty cool.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Three-Phase posted:

I saw it somewhere here on SA, it was a link to last words on black boxes. One of them had the co-pilot quoting Airplane! saying "looks like I picked the wrong week to quite meth amphetamines"

I can't find the website anymore. Anyone remember it and have a link?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

KoRMaK posted:

I saw it somewhere here on SA, it was a link to last words on black boxes. One of them had the co-pilot quoting Airplane! saying "looks like I picked the wrong week to quite meth amphetamines"

I can't find the website anymore. Anyone remember it and have a link?

http://www.planecrashinfo.com/lastwords.htm

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Cutting open a cylinder of flammable gas [with a cutting torch]? Seems like a good plan.

Shockingly, no one gets hurt.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

and instead of getting away from it immediately... he hangs out for a few moments... and then kicks it!

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I might have mentioned this before... gas cylinders aren't hollow, and have a foam-type filling that prevents gas from escaping catastrophically. Even if the shell of the canister is breached, the gas will leak slow enough to prevent or prolong an explosion. It's possible for the canister to become hot enough to fail all at once, but that's with steady exposure to flames, and usually next to other burning canisters. Heating a canister until it bursts is more dangerous than cutting it with a torch.

Anagram of GINGER fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 23, 2015

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Not on the list. Its hard to google. I remember the link have like a bunch of slashes and ~ in it like it was some ancient geocities site.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

bizarro_world_sarah_jones.gif

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dillbag posted:

bizarro_world_sarah_jones.gif

Not gonna lie. I'd totally ride that.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

flosofl posted:

Not gonna lie. I'd totally ride that.

...mom?

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Blue Meanie really gives that guy some cock to the face, right?

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I don't think I ever saw anyone post about the West Fertilizer Company explosion that happened in 2013.

Basically they were storing 540,000 pounds of ammonium nitrate and 110,000 pounds of anhydrous ammonia, and a fire started (cause unknown) and blew the whole facility up with the force of ~10 tons of TNT. The explosion measured a 2.1 on the Richter scale, and 15 people died with over 150 other injuries, plus lots and lots of property damage.

Highlights:

-The last time OSHA inspected the facility was 1985, and they fined a whooping $30 for improper storage of the anhydrous ammonia
-The EPA and the Texas equivalent had cited the facility for issues involving storing the anhydrous ammonia
-OSHA didn't inspect the facility because the EPA didn't consider it a high risk

My favorite though:

quote:

According to its last filing with the EPA in late 2012, the company stated that it stored 540,000 pounds (270 short tons; 240 t) of ammonium nitrate and 110,000 pounds (55 short tons; 50 t) of anhydrous ammonia on the site. A week after the explosion, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano told Senate investigators that the company did not appear to have disclosed its ammonium nitrate stock to her department. Federal law requires that the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) be notified whenever anyone has more than one ton of ammonium nitrate on hand, or 400 pounds (180 kg) if the ammonium nitrate is combined with combustible material.

So they fully disclosed the amount to the EPA, but not to DHS, and the EPA didn't tell DHS either. Maybe my highschool history teacher was right and everything involving the DHS is just a huge clusterfuck of bureaucracy.

Also,

quote:

Texas law allows fertilizer storage facilities to operate without any liability insurance at all, even when they store hazardous materials.
The facility actually had one million in liability insurance, but that wasn't enough.

Naturally, the CSB is on it:

"CSB posted:

On April 22, 2014, the U.S. Chemical Safety and Hazard Investigation Board released preliminary results of its investigation into the explosion. It found that company officials failed to safely store the chemicals in its stockpile, and that federal, state and local regulations about the handling of hazardous materials were inadequate. In a statement released alongside the report, the board's chair, Dr. Rafael Moure-Eraso, stated: "The fire and explosion at West Fertilizer was preventable. It should never have occurred. It resulted from the failure of a company to take the necessary steps to avert a preventable fire and explosion and from the inability of federal, state and local regulatory agencies to identify a serious hazard and correct it." The CSB's yearlong investigation found that 1,351 facilities across the country store ammonium nitrate, and that there many areas had no regulations to keep such facilities away from populated areas. Moure-Eraso urged new and revised regulations, stating "there is no substitute for an efficient regulatory system that ensures that all companies are operating to the same high standards. We cannot depend on voluntary compliance."

Here's a CSB video (no CGI reenactment, sorry):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_NhcbapisE

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Wasn't some politician's response to the complaints that the public was left in the dark about the dangerous chemicals being stored there, that people can easily see where dangerous chemicals are being stored, just drive around and see. Then some people went around to different facilities where chemicals were stored and asked what was being stored there and they got told to gently caress off?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

I love the failed launch videos. That moment they realize something is seriously wrong.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Bostonmarathonbomberspractice.jpg

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'm pretty sure I've seen pictures of pressure cooker lids in places they shouldn't be but that is the first I've seen that rocket engined the pot through the stove top.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

It took me like 10 seconds to realize that the pot lid was in the photo.

gently caress

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

I have questions

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

JB50 posted:

Bostonmarathonbomberspractice.jpg

too soon

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Why has nobody pulled the breaker for that range?

The ceramic cooktop ones are pretty flimsy, once the glass fractures, all structure is gone, there is nothing underneath but insulation.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

In a far-off dimension of which we know nothing, Isaac Newton is smiling.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
I feel like the first GBS OSHA thread was going when West, TX exploded. That poo poo was hard to watch live because it was so close to a school and that whole section of the town looked like it just exploded in flames.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That's some pretty good poo poo if the lid still managed to embed itself into the ceiling *after* impacting the vent hood.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There's a lot about that photo that doesn't make sense. For one, I would expect the pot to deform some before/during exploding. Also whatever was in it should be everywhere.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
This happened when I was a kid, minus the smashed stove, but with a cool lid-shaped dent in the ceiling. My mom was cooking crabs, and our kitchen smelled like them for a long time. I hate the smell of crabs.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

There's a lot about that photo that doesn't make sense. For one, I would expect the pot to deform some before/during exploding. Also whatever was in it should be everywhere.
I think that's what happens if it isn't fully sealed properly, so it unseals and ejects the lid when it pressurizes.

E: Fixed a mangled sentence that was the opposite of what I meant :(

Alereon fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Aug 25, 2015

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The pot would be unlikely to deform. Among other reasons, any minor deformation would only precipitate failure of the seal (causing the explosion). The only thing that surprises me here is the destruction of the stovetop.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Huh. My understanding had always been pressure cooker failure meant superheated water being shot around the kitchen, not an actual explosion.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

FIRST TIME posted:

Wasn't some politician's response to the complaints that the public was left in the dark about the dangerous chemicals being stored there, that people can easily see where dangerous chemicals are being stored, just drive around and see. Then some people went around to different facilities where chemicals were stored and asked what was being stored there and they got told to gently caress off?

Correct!

quote:

In May, after the Chemical Safety Board report came out, Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott ruled that government entities can withhold the locations of dangerous chemicals listed in state records (Tier II reports) to protect the public from terrorism or other threats. Abbott, a far-right Republican who is the leading candidate for Governor in Texas, then said that people can identify such facilities with a “drive around” their neighborhoods, and that they can find out about the chemicals by asking the companies via letter or email. He originally said they could just walk up and ask, but had to backtrack after remembering those facilities were on private property.
The statements set off a firestorm, and Abbott was forced to concede that this method of inquiry was burdensome, but that he still considered the change in law a “win-win.”

Greg Abbott lost his job...

because he wasn't conservative and anti-regulation enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Platystemon posted:

Huh. My understanding had always been pressure cooker failure meant superheated water being shot around the kitchen, not an actual explosion.

Maybe they are olds who didn't think to grab their camera right away. Does anyone under 50 even use a pressure cooker? After the steam cleared and the water dried they realized they needed pictures for the insurance claim.

• Locked thread