Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

ilkhan posted:

I find that really hard to believe, but if true this would *really* make me laugh.
They left it out of the original G, so it's possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
I track all of my spending with an expense tracker app, are there any apps that Google wallet will automatically export transactions to? It would be super convenient for it to just automatically log payments I use from the wallet app.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Porkchop Express posted:

I track all of my spending with an expense tracker app, are there any apps that Google wallet will automatically export transactions to? It would be super convenient for it to just automatically log payments I use from the wallet app.

Have you considered getting an online only bank account with Simple? Their web interface and iOS/Android app is plenty capable of tracking expenses, paying bills, creating financial goals, etc. https://www.simple.com/

I've been banking with Simple for 2 years now and it's pretty solid.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.

teagone posted:

Have you considered getting an online only bank account with Simple? Their web interface and iOS/Android app is plenty capable of tracking expenses, paying bills, creating financial goals, etc. https://www.simple.com/

I've been banking with Simple for 2 years now and it's pretty solid.

I have, but I still need paper checks for a few holdout things, and I just can't bring myself to trust someone to mail a check out for me.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
For some reason, Google Now has started telling me that it doesn't have any apps to open URLs. I've tried clearing the defaults for Firefox, but to no avail. What else can I try?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Rusty! posted:

They left it out of the original G, so it's possible.

Also you don't need a gyroscope to do orientation stuff, it's just better if you have one

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
So I'm going on deployment soon, and I have a Turbo. What's the best way to make sure this thing works in Europe/Middle East? Do I need another sim card? I know using a verizon phone overseas used to be kinda tricky; I'm open to buying an unlocked phone if I have to. I lived in France for a while but I just bought my own phone there.

And after figuring that out, how do I get service? Is there a way to sign up for pay as you go from the phone itself?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Today, my wife and I were packing up the kids and the car for an impromptu trip to Grandma's house. I got a notification while I was getting things together; it was a Google Now card with navigation info for said trip. We had nothing scheduled with Calendar. We didn't call or text or email anyone regarding the trip. I have no idea how my phone read my mind and queued up the destination. We were impressed bit kind of weirded out, obviously.

It was veeery :tinfoil:

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

FistEnergy posted:

Today, my wife and I were packing up the kids and the car for an impromptu trip to Grandma's house. I got a notification while I was getting things together; it was a Google Now card with navigation info for said trip. We had nothing scheduled with Calendar. We didn't call or text or email anyone regarding the trip. I have no idea how my phone read my mind and queued up the destination. We were impressed bit kind of weirded out, obviously.

This poo poo here. Another example is if you're talking about something and go to do a search and after the first letter you type it autocompletes to the very specific search you wanted.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

FistEnergy posted:

If you did something even as simple as doing a quick Google Maps search to get the specific directions or check traffic, that's how it knew.

It's surprising, and a little creepy at times, but overall pretty darn helpful. Especially if you have a vehicle running Android auto

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I know sometimes I'd take my kid to my mother-in-law's place on Thursday mornings before work. After two consecutive Thursdays of doing that, it started giving me directions to her place, and only on Thursdays.

It gets a little annoying when I travel, though. I travel to the Bay Area maybe once every three months for work. I land at SFO and Google Now immediately dumps about a dozen cards on the table -- directions to my office, every hotel I've stayed at in a 50 mile radius, and the houses of about four friends.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FistEnergy posted:

Google keeps track of what days you go there over time. You don't have to do it every week for it be there and also there are likely times the traffic info is there but you never notice.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

LastInLine posted:

Google keeps track of what days you go there over time. You don't have to do it every week for it be there and also there are likely times the traffic info is there but you never notice.

It's also scary good at figuring out where you live and where you work.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Segmentation Fault posted:

It's also scary good at figuring out where you live and where you work.

That's really easy though. Where else do you spend 8 hours a day, five days a week at?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

That's really easy though. Where else do you spend 8 hours a day, five days a week at?

The bar! hyuk hyuk

That might be true but not everybody works at those standard times. I worked on the midnight shift for a year stocking shelves at a supermarket, and my hours would constantly change every week. Despite that Google Now figured it out pretty quick.

Can someone recommend me a good glass screen protector for the Nexus 6?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Can someone recommend me a good glass screen protector for the Nexus 6?

Yootech are all I buy now. Cheap and no halo.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

hotsauce posted:

Yootech are all I buy now. Cheap and no halo.

Alright. They had the highest aggregate score on Amazon but I never heard of them before and the name "Yootech" sounded like they make cheap products so I was skeptical. Thanks!

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

hooah posted:

For some reason, Google Now has started telling me that it doesn't have any apps to open URLs. I've tried clearing the defaults for Firefox, but to no avail. What else can I try?

This happened to me too, with Wikipedia links specifically (although I have noticed it for other things). I've tried clearing defaults of chrome, Wikipedia beta and Google search (well, that one didn't have any defaults). Maybe it's a bug with Google search?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The bar! hyuk hyuk

That might be true but not everybody works at those standard times.

Well obviously I tell Google my work and home locations but even if I didn't, it would know where I go and for how long as well as how often and it would know what is at those locations (commercial or residential). It is trivial to for them to figure it out. That being said it always prompts me for traffic info to my bar on the days when I go and it's usually correct at guessing which days I'm going to see my friend or my parents.

Google Now is great.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Hughmoris posted:

Does anyone here have the LG Flex 2? I'm wondering how the 5.1.1 changed things up. This seeeems like a solid phone for $249, at $30 more than the Moto G.

I can't speak for 5.1.1 but when I had the G Flex 2 a few weeks after it launched, it was very janky. I bought the it to replace the M8 and ended up selling the former and keeping the latter. M8 has older specs but was noticeably faster and smoother.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

TraderStav posted:

Chiming in again that the new G is really really a pleasure to use, coming from the Z3c.

I'm loving my Z3C with 5.1.1 on it. How does the Moto G compare to it?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I'm loving my Z3C with 5.1.1 on it. How does the Moto G compare to it?

It's not significantly 'better' than the Z3c as the Z3c is quite a damned good phone. But it's larger and has a very satisfactory form factor to it. The camera is quite good and the battery is comparable enough, but still not as strong as the Z3c. I also like that it's $220. That means a lot for what you get.

On a related note, does anyone have a magnetic mount that they can recommend that connects to the AMPS pattern? I've seen the air vent mounts that you then put a little sticker on the back of your phone (or inside the case, etc) to make it magnetic but since I have a Ram mount bolted to my frame, I may as well use that. The X-grip I have right now is just a bit too small for the G and always has been frustrating to dock/undock the phone one-handed.

I came across this one, but am unsure of what I could put on the inside of the G case to make it magnetic. http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-202-339U

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Will any electronics stores sell the new Moto series phones in the U.S. since they're not available by carrier? I'd like to at least get my hands on the new G and Pure before potentially buying them.

edit: looks like Best Buy has the new Moto G in stock in store.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

TraderStav posted:

It's not significantly 'better' than the Z3c as the Z3c is quite a damned good phone. But it's larger and has a very satisfactory form factor to it. The camera is quite good and the battery is comparable enough, but still not as strong as the Z3c. I also like that it's $220. That means a lot for what you get.

Did it sort your Bluetooth audio issue?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bob A Feet posted:

So I'm going on deployment soon, and I have a Turbo. What's the best way to make sure this thing works in Europe/Middle East? Do I need another sim card? I know using a verizon phone overseas used to be kinda tricky; I'm open to buying an unlocked phone if I have to. I lived in France for a while but I just bought my own phone there.

And after figuring that out, how do I get service? Is there a way to sign up for pay as you go from the phone itself?
Your Turbo is unlocked. Just get a SIM card over there and pop it in and *maybe* put in the APN settings and it should work without issue.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Did it sort your Bluetooth audio issue?

The bluetooth issue has not presented itself on the G yet. I'm trying to give it as much run-time in order to produce it as a fresh wipe Z3c would take at least a few days to manifest. It's been going very strong though, no hint of it at all.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Doctor Butts posted:

Will any electronics stores sell the new Moto series phones in the U.S. since they're not available by carrier? I'd like to at least get my hands on the new G and Pure before potentially buying them.

edit: looks like Best Buy has the new Moto G in stock in store.

Yes, Best Buy (as you seen) is supposed to have them. Amazon will as well, but that won't help with the hands on.

Current (likely) rumor is the Moto X Play is coming to the US, just under Verizon as the mid-level Droid MAXX 2. Things of interest is that it is supposed to carry the same $300 off contract price as the X Play and Verizon phones are unlocked. So, depending on what LTE bands it supports, it may be a valid choice for AT&T and T-Mobile. The X Play has a removable back as well so it's likely you could get a replacement back and remove any Droid or Verizon branding.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

bull3964 posted:

Yes, Best Buy (as you seen) is supposed to have them. Amazon will as well, but that won't help with the hands on.

Current (likely) rumor is the Moto X Play is coming to the US, just under Verizon as the mid-level Droid MAXX 2. Things of interest is that it is supposed to carry the same $300 off contract price as the X Play and Verizon phones are unlocked. So, depending on what LTE bands it supports, it may be a valid choice for AT&T and T-Mobile. The X Play has a removable back as well so it's likely you could get a replacement back and remove any Droid or Verizon branding.

Don't worry, big red will put that logo front and center on the face of the phone.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Don't worry, big red will put that logo front and center on the face of the phone.

Doubt it. That hasn't been the case for a long long time.

In fact, my Turbo doesn't have any external Verizon branding at all on it. Only a Droid logo on the back.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

bull3964 posted:

Doubt it. That hasn't been the case for a long long time.

In fact, my Turbo doesn't have any external Verizon branding at all on it. Only a Droid logo on the back.

The red Turbo has the Verizon logo on the back. Is yours the ballistic nylon one?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
FWIW, my 2014 Moto X only has one ligjtly-silkscreened Verizon logo on the back, and none on the front.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Lowen SoDium posted:

The red Turbo has the Verizon logo on the back. Is yours the ballistic nylon one?

Yup, 64g Nylon one doesn't have a Verizon logo. Also looks like the blue nylon one lacks the Verizon logo on the back.

The last flagship phone to have front facing branding was the LG G3 and a bunch of their shitbox low end devices have it as well. Pretty much anything else that's going to have common components with other devices is probably going to lack front branding simply due to supply chain issues (manufacturer isn't going to make a special snowflake bezel/display unit just for verizon when the rest of the phone is the same.)

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/08/24/droid-maxx-2-droid-turbo-2/

A look at some MAXX 2 backs. They seem to be removable just like the X Play. Verizon branding is there but only molded into the back and not painted to stand out. Regardless, looks like it would be trivial to replace with an unbranded back.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Quick question: if I want to buy a Droid turbo and use it on Cricket, is it as simple as buying one on eBay and swapping in a new sim? I don't have much experience with Verizon phones, but I seem to recall that they come unlocked...

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Captain Yossarian posted:

Quick question: if I want to buy a Droid turbo and use it on Cricket, is it as simple as buying one on eBay and swapping in a new sim? I don't have much experience with Verizon phones, but I seem to recall that they come unlocked...

Yep! Just make sure the ESN isn't blacklisted as carriers cross-reference their lists.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Lblitzer posted:

Yep! Just make sure the ESN isn't blacklisted as carriers cross-reference their lists.

Rad, thanks! I really like my girlfriend's Turbo, but not in love with Verizon. :) Plus I have 20gbs a month on Cricket lol

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
If you buy a phone today with any provider that offers payment plans you need to verify it is not on a payment plan by contacting the carrier directly and hoping they will tell you.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Don Lapre posted:

If you buy a phone today with any provider that offers payment plans you need to verify it is not on a payment plan by contacting the carrier directly and hoping they will tell you.

Hmm poo poo now THAT I didn't think about...

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Captain Yossarian posted:

Hmm poo poo now THAT I didn't think about...

As far as I know only Tmobile shows you on their ESN check.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

As far as I know only Tmobile shows you on their ESN check.

And it has been inaccurate before, too. A phone I got off eBay maybe a year ago got blacklisted ~2 weeks after buying it, so I looked into it a bit, and people on various forums said they were currently financing their phone and the ESN checker said it was clear. Don't know if that's changed since then, but be cautious!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Hmm... Well I guess I'll go with reputable sellers only and pay a bit more, if I decide to go that route! Thanks all :)