Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

awesmoe posted:

black people who have heard of him like him 66%
black people who have heard of hilary like her 85%
sauce http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2015/08/12/bernie-sanders-big-challenge-explained-in-1-chart/

I think you're putting too much stock in that article, bro.

The following is all generalities: Right now I'm of the opinion that most black people that know of him really only know of him on a superficial level, enough to say "Yeah, I know that Bernie Sanders guy. He's running against Hillary." Black progressives that are passionate about politics probably feel the same way most of us progressives do, in that Bernie is the bees knees. Whatever the case, I've inarguably put myself out there and I'm ready to be made the fool. In the case of Trump, I actually hope I am. :(

Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
That is an insult to Cthulhu. Well done, though.

Ganon
May 24, 2003

Dante80 posted:

Also, another question about the democratic nomination. Are there any polls at this time that compare how Clinton/Sanders would do in the presidential election (if they win the nomination) against GOP?

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/latest_polls/president/

Rubio up 9 and 7 on Clinton in MI and PA?

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Any polls on general election matchups are probably not worth paying any attention to at this point

The Real Paddy
Aug 21, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Look folks, it's just August...

Trying to extrapolate from polls the idea that Bernie and Trump won't end up as nominees is simply impossible this far out.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Chamale posted:

Bernie has done a terrible job of discussing issues that are important to minorities, since he believes wealth inequality is more important than racism.

Yes. Hillary does better than Bernie in almost every conceivable matchup. However, one recent poll has Trump winning in a race between The Donald, Hillary, and Deez Nuts, while Bernie wins the election if it's Trump/Sanders/Nuts.

The Clinton/Trump/Nutz poll was North Carolina only.

Also this whole thing is loving absurd and these polls mean literally nothing.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

Foo posted:

I want to believe, Boosted, I want to belieeeeeeeeeeeeve.

But you also once upon a time called Virginia for Romney, saying Obama would have no chance in taking it. And I felt like you....betrayed my trust. With all that unskewing. :smith:

Yeah. I got Florida wrong too. I though Romney would win both those states and only lose by a few electoral votes.

He came pretty drat close though. The Obama machine was just so good at churning out new idiots to replace the ones that abandoned him after reality set in for four years.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Looks like Walker's waffling on birthright citizenship is doing a lot of damage.

The one thing the right cannot stand is weakness... Hell even FOX NEWS is in on the dogpile:

Walker appears to take third stance in seven days on birthright citizenship issue

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/08/23/walker-appears-to-take-third-stance-in-seven-days-on-birthright-citizenship/

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

The Real Paddy posted:

Look folks, it's just August...

Trying to extrapolate from polls the idea that Bernie and Trump won't end up as nominees is simply impossible this far out.

The polls aren't really the main evidence used by the people who think that, though.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Boosted_C5 posted:

Yeah. I got Florida wrong too. I though Romney would win both those states and only lose by a few electoral votes.

He came pretty drat close though. The Obama machine was just so good at churning out new idiots to replace the ones that abandoned him after reality set in for four years.
Just think, they could have jobs as draftees in Tehran now!

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 229 days!

uncurable mlady posted:

"this time it's different!" - a bunch of people every 4 years shortly before learning that it's actually not different at all

You know what's different this time?

Deez Nutz!

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Bob Ojeda posted:

The polls aren't really the main evidence used by the people who think that, though.

Bingo.

The Real Paddy
Aug 21, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Bob Ojeda posted:

So, even more vague and less scientific than your average poll? Tell me more.

I'm not so sure that, "guys...uh...look at the trends..." is necessarily less accurate than "trust us, the establishment will eventually stop dropping the ball and loving up."

Of course, we all agree that it is impossible to make predictions this far out as it is, so it is good we can all be so reasonable.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Zelder posted:

Are you 15 years old

while I don't agree with it I can understand the logic behind picking a poo poo candidate in the general election

if you're picking a poo poo candidate when better ones exist in the primary then you're just an rear end in a top hat

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

hosed up if true.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

quote:

In presidential primaries, endorsements have been among the best predictors of which candidates will succeed and which will fail. So we’re keeping track.

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-endorsement-primary/

Traditionally this number is MUCH more important than early polling... Please note that Donald Trump and Bernie Sanders have zero endorsements.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Dante80 posted:

A question since I don't know much about American politics. Why is Sanders trailing Clinton in minorities votes?

I guess that Clinton would get more votes from women since she is one herself (and there has never been a woman as USA president in the past, right?), but why minorities?

I'm asking since I've been reading up a little on Sanders, and it seems that he has followed a progressive agenda in his career, especially considering things like racial/gender rights/equality.

Is it just the fact that he is a lot less known?

Also, another question about the democratic nomination. Are there any polls at this time that compare how Clinton/Sanders would do in the presidential election (if they win the nomination) against GOP?

Clinton works a lot with leaders of the black communities including pastors, NAACP members and a whole bunch and has heard and listened to concerns. She's talked about addressing problems as president, and a lot of people trust her. It's mostly trust.

Bernie however only until very recently came around to figuring out how to communicate with the community, and though that you could resolve most race issues through economics. THat's dumb and misleading. Sanders hasn't done enough to earn the trust of the minorities, nor has he cared until recently.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Basically, you look at everything. In no particular order...

- Is this person a good speaker / debater

- Is this person likable

- Is this person passionate

- Is this person a strong leader

- How much do you think the base trusts this person

- Does this person have a propensity to screw up in ways that matter

- Does this person have a strong narrative or a story

- Is this person building real lasting momentum vs. manufactured momentum

- What do the polls say about this person

- How much does negative and positive media seem to affect this person

- How much do opinion shapers on each side seem to support this person

- How much money does this person have. How much money can they get. How effectively can they use that money

- what do you know about human nature, what do you know about people that vote dems, what do you know about people that vote repub

- what do you know about the media

- what type of establishment backing does this person have

- and a bunch of other things

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Montasque posted:

Traditionally this number is MUCH more important than early polling... Please note that Donald Trump and Bernie Sanders have zero endorsements.

Also Jeb has this:

And the entire backing of the GOP establishment, plus backing of the entire Koch organization (which has field operations right now that are as strong as a presidential campaign) once the race thins out.

There's no way Trump can keep up this in all the states which his comparative less resources and organization. Three speeches a week isn't going to cut it.

The real danger for the GOP though is if he lasts long enough into 2016 to where he runs 3rd party; although I suspect that all of his supporters will quickly disappear if it appears that he's a loser to Jeb.

The Real Paddy
Aug 21, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Montasque posted:

Error: sample size too small.

Past elections didn't have intermittent debates featuring a well-honed reality TV star who's greatest strength seems to be managing momentum - of course, I wouldn't predict that he'll get the nomination either, since, like Trump's doubters remind us, the future is opaque.

Foo
May 16, 2003
Professional Sponge

Montasque posted:

Didn't Senator Sessions essentially endorse Trump at that Alabama rally the other day?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Trump hasn't stumbled once. He has repeatedly said things that 20-30% of the Republican voters agree with. Yes, that includes calling out John McCain, RINO extraordinaire and his easily written-off calls for what you people seem to believe is UHC.

However, among that same 30% are a whole bunch of people who realize that, while Trump may be speaking truth to power, he's ultimately saying things that make him completely and totally unelectable in a general. These people will be desperately casting about for a sane establishment candidate come election day. The real question is whether there will be a front-running establishment candidate that everyone can settle on, or if the voters fleeing Trump split their vote, leaving Trump with enough of a lead to declare victory in Iowa and NH. Jeb and Walker seem intent on imploding, so let's see if Rubio can pick up the slack. Not likely!

Montasque posted:

They'll line up behind him if he gets enough of a vote lead. I just don't think that if he wins Iowa it'll be by enough of a margin to pressure the party elites into supporting him.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

The Real Paddy posted:

Error: sample size too small.

Past elections didn't have intermittent debates featuring a well-honed reality TV star who's greatest strength seems to be managing momentum - of course, I wouldn't predict that he'll get the nomination either, since, like Trump's doubters remind us, the future is opaque.

I agree that Trump throws a big monkey wrench in things, but if I was a betting man I would bet on Jeb Bush.

Foo posted:

Didn't Senator Sessions essentially endorse Trump at that Alabama rally the other day?

Sessions has not officially endorsed anyone. Trump did get some State legislators though...

Litany Unheard posted:

They'll line up behind him if he gets enough of a vote lead. I just don't think that if he wins Iowa it'll be by enough of a margin to pressure the party elites into supporting him.

They very well may line up behind him. Trump's personality and cash could upset the apple-cart, but who's to say? We are still 5 months out, anything can happen.

Montasque fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Aug 24, 2015

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Dahbadu posted:

Basically, you look at everything. In no particular order...

- Is this person a good speaker / debater

- Is this person likable

- Is this person passionate

- Is this person a strong leader

- How much do you think the base trusts this person

- Does this person have a propensity to screw up in ways that matter

- Does this person have a strong narrative or a story

- Is this person building real lasting momentum vs. manufactured momentum

- What do the polls say about this person

- How much does negative and positive media seem to affect this person

- How much do opinion shapers on each side seem to support this person

- How much money does this person have. How much money can they get. How effectively can they use that money

- what do you know about human nature, what do you know about people that vote dems, what do you know about people that vote repub

- what do you know about the media

- what type of establishment backing does this person have

- and a bunch of other things

then you throw half of those away and find a way to make the others support your faith-based conviction in the eventual victory of the candidate you support

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Litany Unheard posted:

Trump hasn't stumbled once. He has repeatedly said things that 20-30% of the Republican voters agree with. Yes, that includes calling out John McCain, RINO extraordinaire and his easily written-off calls for what you people seem to believe is UHC.

However, among that same 30% are a whole bunch of people who realize that, while Trump may be speaking truth to power, he's ultimately saying things that make him completely and totally unelectable in a general. These people will be desperately casting about for a sane establishment candidate come election day.

masses of republican voters dont make strategic decisions like this.

Xanderg
Feb 13, 2008

Mitt Romney posted:

Also Jeb has this:

And the entire backing of the GOP establishment, plus backing of the entire Koch organization (which has field operations right now that are as strong as a presidential campaign) once the race thins out.

There's no way Trump can keep up this in all the states which his comparative less resources and organization. Three speeches a week isn't going to cut it.

The real danger for the GOP though is if he lasts long enough into 2016 to where he runs 3rd party; although I suspect that all of his supporters will quickly disappear if it appears that he's a loser to Jeb.

One of the things I don't get about this is why the GOP candidates raise most of their money through super pacs? SuperPACs have some glaring disadvantages (can't control the message, more expensive ad buys w/r/t radio, tv, print, etc). The only thing I can guess is because donors feel more comfortable giving to a superpac in case the candidate folds the Super PAC can just move toward helping the winning candidate?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

masses of republican voters dont make strategic decisions like this.

Individual voters do, and I expect a lot of people are going to be less and less comfortable voting for a reality TV star as they get closer to election day.

Or I'm wrong, whatever. Just enjoy the ride.

Xanderg posted:

One of the things I don't get about this is why the GOP candidates raise most of their money through super pacs? SuperPACs have some glaring disadvantages (can't control the message, more expensive ad buys w/r/t radio, tv, print, etc). The only thing I can guess is because donors feel more comfortable giving to a superpac in case the candidate folds the Super PAC can just move toward helping the winning candidate?

Unlimited donations. I can only give a candidate $2,700, but I can write a Super PAC however big a check my bank will honor.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Xanderg posted:

Because GOP candidates are bankrolled by a few billionaire sugar daddies.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Xanderg posted:

Because GOP candidates aren't very good at campaigning, or inspiring potential donors to do the old shell corporation/give your family and some employees exactly the donation limit and "encourage" the to donate it game to evade limits

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

awesmoe posted:

then you throw half of those away and find a way to make the others support your faith-based conviction in the eventual victory of the candidate you support

I'm not throwing anything out. I'm saying that you should try to put things in context and see the forest from the trees. Don't get too caught up on the importance of a single tree (and yes, some trees are bigger than others and do matter more).

The Real Paddy
Aug 21, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Litany Unheard posted:

However, among that same 30% are a whole bunch of people who realize that, while Trump may be speaking truth to power, he's ultimately saying things that make him completely and totally unelectable in a general. These people will be desperately casting about for a sane establishment candidate come election day.

This is the part that interests me here. Sincere question: how do you know this? Really, think about it: why are we so sure that these people will abandon him? Thank our Lord Jesus Christ for President Trump, but eh, I'm not actually going to vote for him? Yes, of course not all supporters are that rabid, but this seems like quite a bold claim to take on faith with no substantiation.

Indeed, until a primary is held, we can't even assume that Trump supporters won't be more likely to turn out, than say, Jeb Bush's famously enthusiastic followers. In that context, it is important to also consider, or, in anticipation of mockery of this idea, it is not immediately so ridiculous so as to warrant flippant dismissal to consider the impact that Trump may have on demoralizing the opposition by making them look like, to use a phrase Boosted shamelessly and seemingly unironically employs,little beta bitches. Trump may yet lose, but he doesn't blink.

Lastly, I think a hugely underrated and underdiscussed aspect of his candidacy is that he has spent enough years watching ratings to know just how short the average attention span is today. My major concern is that he's using August to shore up the crazy vote and will then swing to the center (which we've already seen him capable of doing, AND without losing conservative "credibility") - of course, this remains to be seen, but he has the loudest voice and comes across as sincere: combine that with short attention spans and an obsessive attention to the media narrative process...I guess we'll see.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Sorry, original still more disturbing.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

That doesn't make them bad arguments.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

The Real Paddy posted:

This is the part that interests me here. Sincere question: how do you know this? Really, think about it: why are we so sure that these people will abandon him? Thank our Lord Jesus Christ for President Trump, but eh, I'm not actually going to vote for him? Yes, of course not all supporters are that rabid, but this seems like quite a bold claim to take on faith with no substantiation.

Indeed, until a primary is held, we can't even assume that Trump supporters won't be more likely to turn out, than say, Jeb Bush's famously enthusiastic followers. In that context, it is important to also consider, or, in anticipation of mockery of this idea, it is not immediately so ridiculous so as to warrant flippant dismissal to consider the impact that Trump may have on demoralizing the opposition by making them look like, to use a phrase Boosted shamelessly and seemingly unironically employs,little beta bitches. Trump may yet lose, but he doesn't blink.

Lastly, I think a hugely underrated and underdiscussed aspect of his candidacy is that he has spent enough years watching ratings to know just how short the average attention span is today. My major concern is that he's using August to shore up the crazy vote and will then swing to the center (which we've already seen him capable of doing, AND without losing conservative "credibility") - of course, this remains to be seen, but he has the loudest voice and comes across as sincere: combine that with short attention spans and an obsessive attention to the media narrative process...I guess we'll see.

I, like everyone else here, am pulling things out of my rear end.

Polling is notoriously unreliable this far out and national polls mean nothing. I don't think Trump will be able to maintain such strong leads all the way into February, but I can't prove that because I can't see into the future.

Vote Trump, kill your parents.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Bob Ojeda posted:

That doesn't make them bad arguments.

I would say that it doesn't make them invalid arguments. I think some arguments can be stronger than others.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Legit question what would bernie do if Warren Buffet put his money where his mouth was and started a SuperPAC for his campaign?

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

Dahbadu posted:

I would say that it doesn't make them invalid arguments. I think some arguments can be stronger than others.

Sure.

I tend to think that structural knowledge of the primary process makes for stronger arguments than just sort of naively looking at polling numbers. But that's an argument that you can make, probably.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility

DynamicSloth posted:

Sorry, original still more disturbing.

(attributed to this person: https://twitter.com/TomAdelsbach)

e: original tweet: https://twitter.com/TomAdelsbach/status/635503457265324032

Von Sloneker fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Aug 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Mitt Romney posted:

Also Jeb has this:

Donald Trump could probably scrape up the amount of money that is represented on that entire graph without having any material effect on his standard of living. I don't understand why "Jeb! has A HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS" is supposed to be some kind of magic bullet against a billionaire. A lack of a field operation isn't a problem that Trump money can't solve.

• Locked thread