Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Truga posted:

I'm more pointing at the fact that SE has absolutely no obligation to lock you into steam for all future expansions

Yes they do. Valve isn't just a reseller and if a company wants to sell something through Steam they've got to follow Steam's rules. MMOs that make accounts through Steam have the SteamID as part of the MMO account's info. They aren't two separate things. Even games like Path of Exile work that way. When PoE came out on Steam you could take an existing account and use it via Steam but it was a one way trip because it converted your standalone account in to a SteamID one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I'm gonna give this a whirl on my PS4 and since I'm a filthy lazy casual gamer I'd like to use a controller. What's the class/job that uses the least buttons?

DerVerrater
Feb 19, 2013
WHATEVER HAPPENED ON DISCORD, I WAS NOT INVOLVED
Dearest goons

With the release of heavensward i am tempted to play again however being a working man with an energetic dog im lucky to get an hour or two to game a night, Will it be possible to progress and enjoy the game in thy opinions with this restriction?

Burger McAngus
May 24, 2010

Sirbloody posted:

Also what is a good server to play on? I am going to buy a Heavensward key and start over and she can join me if she wants. I used to play on Ultros (and Gilgamesh wish her).

The main server that goons play on is Excalibur. It's a pain in the rear end to make a character on Excal, but it's worth it if you don't mind getting up early/staying up late to do it.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

DerVerrater posted:

Dearest goons

With the release of heavensward i am tempted to play again however being a working man with an energetic dog im lucky to get an hour or two to game a night, Will it be possible to progress and enjoy the game in thy opinions with this restriction?

I don't see why not. You can still do duty finder stuff and progress through the MSQ. Hardcore raiding is probs a no-go but only a sliver of the population does that anyway

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

acumen posted:

I'm gonna give this a whirl on my PS4 and since I'm a filthy lazy casual gamer I'd like to use a controller. What's the class/job that uses the least buttons?

All of them use a lot of buttons. Thankfully, controller scheme is real good in this game. You can do any role effectively with it.

There are a few of us who even use controllers while playing on PC.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Kibner posted:

All of them use a lot of buttons. Thankfully, controller scheme is real good in this game. You can do any role effectively with it.

There are a few of us who even use controllers while playing on PC.

Yeah, in case you're not familiar it's not a case of "choose an ability for square and an ability for triangle". You hold L2 and then you press any four of the dpad buttons or any four of the face buttons. Or you hold R2 and press any of the 8 buttons. Or you hold L2, then while holding that you also hold R2 and then press any of the 8 buttons. Or you hold R2, then L2, then any of the 8 buttons.

Right there that's instant access to any of 32 different skills (which becomes second nature very quickly), and if that's somehow not enough, just hold R1 and push any of the 8 buttons to select a completely different active bar that L2 and R2 map to. I played WoW up to LK with KB+M, but there's no way I'd ever give up my DS4 no matter which platform I play FFXIV on

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Denmo makes cool videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75nMJZa46tM

Also, this game is really pretty. I sometimes forget while i'm so focused on properly setting things on fire.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Sentient Data posted:

. Or you hold R2 and press any of the 8 buttons. Or you hold L2, then while holding that you also hold R2 and then press any of the 8 buttons. Or you hold R2, then L2, then any of the 8 buttons.

It should be noted that this is an option you have to turn on in the menu. But it's worth it.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Just like legacy movement :getin:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Also consider swapping the 1s and 2s, I at, least found that much more natural. That was on the DS3 though, it matters much less on the DS4.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

vOv posted:

Just like legacy movement :getin:

I like legacy movement for backpedalling out of AOEs, but when I play a caster in legacy, holding right click to turn and follow moving targets during casts (so they don't cancel) doesn't work. Only in standard controls. :(

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Why do you have to manually turn at all for spells? I get that it's a thing with auto-attack, but even if it mattered does auto-face not work for you? I haven't had anything cancelled due to target moving, aside from just plain moving out of range

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

Sirbloody posted:

She was a tank in WoW but in every other MMO she likes to heal. I typically heal in every MMO I play so since she enjoyed WHM I swapped to Lancer.

Also what is a good server to play on? I am going to buy a Heavensward key and start over and she can join me if she wants. I used to play on Ultros (and Gilgamesh wish her).

Maybe have her try a tank class? GLA/PLD is very strictly "I want to be the main tank and eat damage like a pro" whereas MRD/WAR is very "I like taking hits, but I also really like hurting things".

Goons play on Excalibur, but it's not an easy server to get on.

e: Big thing to know about FF14's healing is that at low levels (and since you said you quit around the time you got to Titan, so you were still fairly low level) healers are basically slightly weaker DPS that have the ability to also cast healing spells. Around Haukke/Brayflox, healers have to start paying attention to healing.

Tanks are always tanks. They're a lot more comparable to other tank classes in other MMOs. Healers in FF14 are expected to figure out when they can get in damage spells along with keeping their parties alive, which is fairly unique (among WoW-likes) to FF14.

Willias fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 23, 2015

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
auto face is tied to client positions so if the mob runs out of your field of vision according to the server it will interrupt casts

You can counter this on standard controls by leading your camera a bit

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Sentient Data posted:

Why do you have to manually turn at all for spells? I get that it's a thing with auto-attack, but even if it mattered does auto-face not work for you? I haven't had anything cancelled due to target moving, aside from just plain moving out of range

You auto-face at the start of the cast, not during wind-up

Take that jackass spider monkey dinosaur in Sohm Al for example, I lose probably a third of my casts because I don't turn to "follow" (read: lead, because lag) him at the right time and in the right direction :mad:

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
There is an actual auto face command that will lock you to a target but like I said it's client-side positioning and often useless

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer
Is there a way to turn off the auto-face at start of cast thing?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Pews posted:

Yes.

I forget what set of options it's under tho! Sorry.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Doublestep posted:

There is an actual auto face command that will lock you to a target but like I said it's client-side positioning and often useless

Oh yeah I forgot about that lock on thing, I thought that was purely cinematic

But I guess if it's client side it might as well be :v:

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Pews posted:

Yea it's drat near essential for ranged classes and casters in T7 lmao

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Rei_ posted:

it was essential in T7 before they completely ruined that encounter and made everything trivial in it

least you get some of that old T7 feeling again in the savage version

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Rei_ posted:

The good old days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rqlv0L1gZLU

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

best part of that is how the perpetrator turns around "nope wasn't me" right after

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

I'm kinda worried this games raids peaked with SCOB just in terms of setting and gravitas and like, just poo poo popping off in a manner as to destroy friendships

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

drat do you have that bookmarked

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

a kitten posted:

Yes.

I forget what set of options it's under tho! Sorry.

Found it!

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Doublestep posted:

drat do you have that bookmarked

No, but you chose a memorable title.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Rei_ posted:

I'm kinda worried this games raids peaked with SCOB just in terms of setting and gravitas and like, just poo poo popping off in a manner as to destroy friendships

A3-4 is pretty raid killing tbh, i forsee a lot of easy going groups falling apart on them cause its very obviously geared towards i210 and savage level players

Scob is still the best raid tier so far though

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know

DerVerrater posted:

Dearest goons

Unless you feel you're not getting the amount back from your 13 bucks by only playing an hour or two a night its perfectly fine. I play about that amount as well and I'm enjoying it as much as the next person.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

There are actually a couple of different auto-face options that do somewhat different things.

There's "automatically face target when auto attacking" and "automatically face target when using an action", both in character options. These are kind of self explanatory. However they only check at the start of the action. If you start casting a spell and the target decides to run past you before you finish, your spell will whiff because you are now pointing in the wrong direction to cast it.

There's /lockon, which camera locks you to the target. This can be mapped directly to a gamepad button. You and the camera will both keep the target in front of you, which is cool for melee and pre-WM bards but not as much for casters with no auto attacks. Also it makes looking around the arena for mechanics reasons much more of a hassle since your free look is very limited while the camera is locked. It doesn't keep you facing during a cast either, so that monster that runs past you is still going to laugh when your spell fizzles.

Lockon lets you circle strafe at full speed but you will slowly backpedal away from the target if you try to move away. You also have to manually disengage it, so if you are using it you need to be ready to turn it off quickly so you can dodge orange circles when needed.

Then there's /facetarget, which will not lock your camera but will lock your facing in the direction of the target. This can also be mapped to a gamepad button directly. If the monster runs past you while you are casting you will just spin to keep it in front of you, and as long as no line of sight weirdness happens and the target is still in range you will actually cast the spell at the end of the cast timer.

Facetarget disengages automatically with any movement, so its pretty useless for melee in most cases but handy for casters and bards in turret mode.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Aug 24, 2015

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Thundarr posted:

Then there's /facetarget, which will not lock your camera but will lock your facing in the direction of the target. This can also be mapped to a gamepad button directly. If the monster runs past you while you are casting you will just spin to keep it in front of you, and as long as no line of sight weirdness happens and the target is still in range you will actually cast the spell at the end of the cast timer.

Noooooooooppe it interrupts the cast if the mob is moving fast enough like alarms in a1s or nael after meteor streams

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Doublestep posted:

Noooooooooppe it interrupts the cast if the mob is moving fast enough like alarms in a1s or nael after meteor streams

Yeah I've had really fast moving things break facetarget, or if they move *really* close to you and force you to spin super fast to maintain facing. In most cases it works just fine though. :shrug:

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011
A4S Down.

World First.

Hands shaking....

SS later....

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Chyea posted:

A4S Down.

World First.

Hands shaking....

SS later....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyFQVZ2h0V8

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Chyea posted:

A4S Down.

World First.

Hands shaking....

SS later....

:hfive:

Loot is body armor and a weapon like T5/9/13?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Chyea posted:

A4S Down.

World First.

Hands shaking....

SS later....

Well done dude.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Chyea posted:

A4S Down.

World First.

Hands shaking....

SS later....

congratulations, chyea.... chyeagratulations

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Chyea posted:

A4S Down.

World First.

Hands shaking....

SS later....

Now tell me, are you excited to do it again on tuesday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011

Fight is absurd. We've never maximized to the level we had to do for this week.

Dropped Healer Chest/WHM Cane/Gobdip/Shielding/and a single Mount Whistle.

• Locked thread