Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Is thaumcraft magic cloth any good for bow or crossbow-strings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

SugarAddict posted:

Is thaumcraft magic cloth any good for bow or crossbow-strings?

It's a bit faster than regular string, but also a bit weaker. Flamestring is the opposite.

Magmarashi posted:

If you have the resources to spare to make a Signalum Crossbow Limb, I'd say go for it. You'll have to bolster the durability with a Flux Cap, but the base arrow speed and draw time are worth it.

Note that this is shown without crossbow bolts in my inventory, damage is 18 hearts with unmodified iron/iron/feather bolts.

A Flux Cap? I tried putting a capacitor on one of my tools and it didn't work at all.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

McFrugal posted:

It's a bit faster than regular string, but also a bit weaker. Flamestring is the opposite.

A Flux Cap? I tried putting a capacitor on one of my tools and it didn't work at all.

They're gated by the durability of the tool, now. Lower durability tools can only take smaller fcaps.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Have you guys tried terrasteel for your weapons yet?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

SugarAddict posted:

It doesn't look too exciting from what I'm seeing on NEI.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

McFrugal posted:

It doesn't look too exciting from what I'm seeing on NEI.

From what I've seen direwolf20 using it, it seems to add two or so open modifiers to the blade among other things.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Is there a way to repair Prometheum armor or do I just make new pieces when it breaks?

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Small fix for whenever you get around to making another patch, you need four darkwood saplings to make a tree. Just giving one means you have to get lucky three more times to start growing darkwoods

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

goodness posted:

Is there a way to repair Prometheum armor or do I just make new pieces when it breaks?

There is the thaumic repairer, I don't know what it requires to run, but I think you can use that to repair your armor.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

goodness posted:

vanilla anvil, prometheum bars, and a little xp

is it me or do the vanilla anvils break a lot more quickly than normal

also you can make a new piece, then when they are both low, craft them together to get 110% of the durability of both pieces

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Alternately, just wear it out and then craft armor from a metal you haven't used before because all the different metallurgy armors that I've tried have been uniquely scannable for Thaumcraft research.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

63 Ethereal Blooms and counting. 100% autonomous. Source is milk for Sano, mossy cobble for Herba and Praecantatio, and for vitium :itwaspoo:.

Best part is it creaks and groans under high pressure all the time.

I owe all my success to my very competent assistant.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Another good source for herba/praecacanto is nether wart. Bonus, if you have a centrifuge you can centrifuge the other aspect it gives you (infernal) for more praecacanto!

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

yeah I've been saving up tainted poo poo instead of turning it into useless rep

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So what is the intermediary metal you use to mine gold? You need gold to make tool casts for iron tools, so what is the tool you use to mine the gold in the first place?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

prometheum and oureoclase

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Danger Mahoney posted:

So what is the intermediary metal you use to mine gold? You need gold to make tool casts for iron tools, so what is the tool you use to mine the gold in the first place?

I found some thaumium in a village in like the first hour, you can make it into a pick which can mine gold.

The other best way is probably mining in the desert for nether quartz. The way the book says is bronze, but don't do that because tin and copper are hard as gently caress to find and you don't want to waste them on tools.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Botania question, how can I tell when Gourmarylliseseses are done digesting so it can be fed again? I thought that was when it stopped sparking, but that just seems to indicate it has mana. Is it done digesting as soon as the mana appears?

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

President Ark posted:

prometheum and oureoclase

Don't you still need to cast those at the smeltery? What did you use for your cast material?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ciaphas posted:

Botania question, how can I tell when Gourmarylliseseses are done digesting so it can be fed again? I thought that was when it stopped sparking, but that just seems to indicate it has mana. Is it done digesting as soon as the mana appears?

hold shift and count the number of non-golden ham hocks it restores as hunger

add one, round up if needed

this is how many seconds your hourglass should be set for

if you want to upgrade your circuit, put a comparator facing away from your main mana pool, feed a strength 14 signal into the side, then run the lead into a repeater that is pointing into the side of a repeater between your hourglass and your dispenser for a simple off-switch when your mana gets mostly full

the repeaters look like this

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Danger Mahoney posted:

Don't you still need to cast those at the smeltery? What did you use for your cast material?

You can just make regular-rear end pickaxes out of them. It's only conventional metals that it roadblocks you on.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Wish me luck, boys

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Glory of Arioch posted:

hold shift and count the number of non-golden ham hocks it restores as hunger

add one, round up if needed

this is how many seconds your hourglass should be set for

if you want to upgrade your circuit, put a comparator facing away from your main mana pool, feed a strength 14 signal into the side, then run the lead into a repeater that is pointing into the side of a repeater between your hourglass and your dispenser for a simple off-switch when your mana gets mostly full

the repeaters look like this

Cool, thanks. I've only got the one Gourmaryllis right now but it seems to be overtaking the four Endoflames pretty easy.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Blind Duke posted:

Small fix for whenever you get around to making another patch, you need four darkwood saplings to make a tree. Just giving one means you have to get lucky three more times to start growing darkwoods

I grew a darkwood just fine with one sapling.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ciaphas posted:

Cool, thanks. I've only got the one Gourmaryllis right now but it seems to be overtaking the four Endoflames pretty easy.

Yeah, Gourmaryllises are among the best mana generation (keikimurus are better I think, and cheesing thermalillies with buildcraft is a perennial favorite)

President Ark
May 16, 2010

McFrugal posted:

I assume he means dark oak, which I've been trying to figure out why it doesn't grow forever. :argh:

I assume date saplings have something similar? I got one of those from a seed bag ages ago and it's still sitting outside of my starting area, still a sapling.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Danger Mahoney posted:

I went through the nether wood route from lucky sapling bags. Ghost wood -> Dark Wood -> fuse wood -> blood wood, you should be able to mine all the basic materials including gold.

But it's VERY expensive to make casts out of gold, You are supposed to use aluminum brass for that. Aluminum brass is 3 aluminum 1 copper.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

McFrugal posted:

Dark Oak! I knew I did something wrong when I made that post

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

SugarAddict posted:

I went through the nether wood route from lucky sapling bags. Ghost wood -> Dark Wood -> fuse wood -> blood wood, you should be able to mine all the basic materials including gold.

But it's VERY expensive to make casts out of gold, You are supposed to use aluminum brass for that. Aluminum brass is 3 aluminum 1 copper.

Not really, considering gold is as plentiful as the Vanilla distribution. Things are a bit difficult if you're tooling around in caverns covered in taint but as soon as you've cleared out an area it should be fairly easy to find a lot of gold just hanging out in the lower depths. Whereas copper is stupid rare to the point where I'd only use maybe the first ore for the casts and have gold do the rest.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

SugarAddict posted:

Dunno about in TiCon weapons, but a regular terrasteel sword shoots laserbeams, which is pretty awesome, and will repair itself with mana, which is also awesome. Being a regular weapon also means you have access to the extra enchants, so you Wrath and Sharpness 5 and have a sword that does around 20 damage a swing and shoots lasers.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Why isn't this working? I've tried moving the lower of the two Mortii one hex to the lower right, no dice.

Danger Mahoney posted:

Nope, you can turn those into vanilla tools.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 24, 2015

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Danger Mahoney posted:

I used oureclase under the swamps. It's mined by soft-metal (promethium) and can mine hard-metal.

edit: But you can still use them at the smeltery, too! You just need 9 ingots (4.5 ores) worth of material so that you can cast an entire block in a casting basin.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Ariong posted:

Why isn't this working? I've tried moving the lower of the two Mortii one hex to the lower right, no dice.

Nope, you can turn those into vanilla tools.

Pretty sure it's the slime-terra connection in the upper right. Slime is victus/aqua, not victus/terra.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Sage Grimm posted:

Not really, considering gold is as plentiful as the Vanilla distribution. Things are a bit difficult if you're tooling around in caverns covered in taint but as soon as you've cleared out an area it should be fairly easy to find a lot of gold just hanging out in the lower depths. Whereas copper is stupid rare to the point where I'd only use maybe the first ore for the casts and have gold do the rest.

I really need to get a thaumcraft quarry going. After I get blood magic up so I can craft the diamond pickaxe I need to make it.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

President Ark posted:

Pretty sure it's the slime-terra connection in the upper right. Slime is victus/aqua, not victus/terra.

Ah, thanks. That was supposed to be Victus.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

SugarAddict posted:

I really need to get a thaumcraft quarry going. After I get blood magic up so I can craft the diamond pickaxe I need to make it.

Easy way to break into blood magic is to make yourself a Dislocation Focus (thaumic tinkering) and head for the eerie giant obsidian tower isle on the south of the map. You can steal a free blood altar, a bunch of runes, murder a custom NPC to get a dagger of sacrifice, and use the dislocation focus to steal a zombie spawner from the barrow outside the tower. Bring it all home and set up a spawning pit to stab zombies for infinite blood.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Mzbundifund posted:

Easy way to break into blood magic is to make yourself a Dislocation Focus (thaumic tinkering) and head for the eerie giant obsidian tower isle on the south of the map. You can steal a free blood altar, a bunch of runes, murder a custom NPC to get a dagger of sacrifice, and use the dislocation focus to steal a zombie spawner from the barrow outside the tower. Bring it all home and set up a spawning pit to stab zombies for infinite blood.

I haven't found the research for the dislocation focus, but that custom NPC with the boss bar died like everything else I encounter, with lighting :science:.

Edit: I should have finished it off with a looting sword for more loot though.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Aug 24, 2015

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Mzbundifund posted:

I'm pretty sure it's intended to do that (at least, except the "steal the zombie spawner" part) because you get the blood magic questline once you explore that tower. In fact, it's arguably easier to leave the altar where it is because the ziggurat structure around it is a guide for how to build the blood altar.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

President Ark posted:

I'm pretty sure it's intended to do that (at least, except the "steal the zombie spawner" part) because you get the blood magic questline once you explore that tower. In fact, it's arguably easier to leave the altar where it is because the ziggurat structure around it is a guide for how to build the blood altar.

The fake beacons made out of multiblocks faked me out for a little while. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
And then you steal them for an easy 9 diamonds. And the obsidian totems along one of the stairs to make your osmotic enchanter.