Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Megazver posted:

I've skipped to half of a chapter of that to check it out. It wasn't exactly amazing either.
No, but he's easily the best POV character in that. Mostly on account of actually having character. Like, if the next book killed off Atticus and whatsherface I'd probably come back to that series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Wade Wilson posted:

The only reason the latter books got better for Iron Druid is they shifted away from Atticus's viewpoint.

Uh, ok? Way to agree with me I guess!

For the record, I don't think the books have gotten good again, largely because Hearne dug himself such a deep hole, but I do think they're on an upswing. The author has some interesting ideas on having a whole lot of different pantheons exist and interact with each other, and that's enough for me right now.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

thrawn527 posted:

Um....who or what is Mac?

He really doesn't want any trouble in his place.

Mac wields a power known as The Force Galactic.

He just doesn't use it much because he's out.

...maybe sometimes to make a killer steak sandwich. Or that lemonade. Or...

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Hmmm. Has anyone checked out both endings for the Whistleblower Job? I wonder what happens when you choose the elf/the Koreans.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Mac wields a power known as The Force Galactic.

He just doesn't use it much because he's out.

...maybe sometimes to make a killer steak sandwich. Or that lemonade. Or...

Well, Harry is from Earth . . .

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Well Jim won the 2015 best novel of our hearts at the hugos... Which uhh means he didn't win.

Also instead of taking the dumb complaints of the hugos being cliquish and corrupt, the hugos decided to double down and gave out 5 no awards.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
That Skin Game knocked City of Stairs off of the ballot is such bullshit. Between the gender bullshit with Murphy and Ascher and the terrible heist plot that was actually a terrible dungeon crawl it wasn't even a good Dresden book.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Exmond posted:

Well Jim won the 2015 best novel of our hearts at the hugos... Which uhh means he didn't win.

He was nominated by the MRAs and I think he's on record with being happy with not winning because of that.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Exmond posted:

Also instead of taking the dumb complaints of the hugos being cliquish and corrupt, the hugos decided to double down and gave out 5 no awards.
This was their only response to slate votes. Given how lovely the people organizing said slates behaved, it was to be expected.

We need an award that isn't based on worldcon.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

There is the Locus award, if you prefer not to let people vote.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Anias posted:

This was their only response to slate votes. Given how lovely the people organizing said slates behaved, it was to be expected.

We need an award that isn't based on worldcon.

Im a bit dissapointed that Jim didn't win the Best Novel, but thats because Im in the Dresden Files thread and am a fan.

The bigger thing Im unhappy about is the no awards voting. I agree that the people organizing the slates behaved terribly. This whole 2015 hugo award thing has been a gongshow.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Exmond posted:

Im a bit dissapointed that Jim didn't win the Best Novel, but thats because Im in the Dresden Files thread and am a fan.

The bigger thing Im unhappy about is the no awards voting. I agree that the people organizing the slates behaved terribly. This whole 2015 hugo award thing has been a gongshow.
Voting for No Award was a clear example of the majority triumphing over a small minority.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Mars4523 posted:

That Skin Game knocked City of Stairs off of the ballot is such bullshit. Between the gender bullshit with Murphy and Ascher and the terrible heist plot that was actually a terrible dungeon crawl it wasn't even a good Dresden book.

I hate to say it, but Butcher's other inferior series are starting to influence his time and effort on the Dresden Files. I know people like steampunk and pokemon garbage but he's just not a good enough writer to split his time.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Mars4523 posted:

Voting for No Award was a clear example of the majority triumphing over a small minority.

I think its the Hugos showing they wont consider any other nominations and has definitely tainted my impression of the Hugos.

Aren't you the guy that complains dresden files is misogynistic?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Exmond posted:

So, instead they should vote for the best of a group of nominees that did not deserve an award?

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

torgeaux posted:

So, instead they should vote for the best of a group of nominees that did not deserve an award?

They should probably read the books and vote for the categories. They should also fix the way books are nominated if they are going to pull the "No Award" thing as heavily as they have this year.

Were there not non-puppy nominations up for the 5 categories that won no award?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Exmond posted:

I think its the Hugos showing they wont consider any other nominations and has definitely tainted my impression of the Hugos.

It shows that Hugo voters won't allow a radical minority sabotage the award. And this taints your impression of the Hugos?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

torgeaux posted:

Problem is that it was pure anti-puppy vote, instead of considering each work by their own merits.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

adhuin posted:

Problem is that it was pure anti-puppy vote, instead of considering each work by their own merits.

They didn't deserve any such review.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Exmond posted:

They should probably read the books and vote for the categories. They should also fix the way books are nominated if they are going to pull the "No Award" thing as heavily as they have this year.

Were there not non-puppy nominations up for the 5 categories that won no award?

I dunno about all of them, but I know best novella had literally no legitimate nominations, just puppy ballot

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

adhuin posted:

This here is why I considered this whole debacle tainted the Hugos. I don't think everyone did this (Skin games got to third place in Best Novel running) but the amount of vitrol and "IM VOTING NO AWARD" posts were staggering, not something I expect from the most "Prestigious" award in fantasy.

Also Skin games was nominated by the sad puppies, although Jim didn't endorse them.

I will agree that the hugos did get.. uhh, ballot stuffed? Like other legit books got trampled over due to the rigged nominations. People are right to be angry over that, but I think burning a whole category and not reading the works isn't the right way to go about it. IF you are going to do that you might as well ignore the nominations and create your own?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

adhuin posted:

In the shorter fiction awards (novella/ette/short story) there was so little merit No Award was probably the most legitimate choice. That's a side effect of the whole nasty business - the slate-nominated books were not only political but almost universally horrible, taking the space from much better stuff. Hell, the Best Novel winner only got in because the author of one of the puppy nominations has withdrawn. (And that man is the real hero of this entire mess)

So if your choice is to vote No Award or award a story you think is bad - I think they went the right way.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 23, 2015

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

The 5 no awards were given out to categories that were 100% puppy nominations. Puppy nominations got on the ballot because people were rallied to vote for a slate. This means that those nominations absolutely did not get on there because of people nominating stories they had read and thought were good. I repeat, most people who nominated puppy stories had not read those stories.

Given how godawful those stories by and large were, this should be obvious. So I don't understand your tut-tutting of people voting no award over puppy nominations. It's totally legitimate to block nominate things you haven't read to support fascists, but if you block vote against those nominations without having carefully read and considered their value, that's bad?

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Wittgen posted:

The 5 no awards were given out to categories that were 100% puppy nominations. Puppy nominations got on the ballot because people were rallied to vote for a slate. This means that those nominations absolutely did not get on there because of people nominating stories they had read and thought were good. I repeat, most people who nominated puppy stories had not read those stories.

Given how godawful those stories by and large were, this should be obvious. So I don't understand your tut-tutting of people voting no award over puppy nominations. It's totally legitimate to block nominate things you haven't read to support fascists, but if you block vote against those nominations without having carefully read and considered their value, that's bad?

What about the Best Novel award? The 4th slot was picked as no award, 5th slot as Jim Butcher. The board literally picked no award instead of Skin games because of Sad Puppies. Hell, Skin Games was in the running for Best Novel (made it to 3rd round of eliminations).

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Exmond posted:

What about the Best Novel award? The 4th slot was picked as no award, 5th slot as Jim Butcher. The board literally picked no award instead of Skin games because of Sad Puppies. Hell, Skin Games was in the running for Best Novel (made it to 3rd round of eliminations).
What are you smoking? Third Body Problem by Cixin Liu won for Best Novel. While it replaced some book by Marko Kloos, who withdrew his book for being on the Sad Puppy slate, even if it hadn't been there Ancillary Sword and The Goblin Emperor are still far better candidates for the award.

ed: I see what you're saying, but you're kidding yourself if you think that Skin Game (or anything written Kevin J Anderson) is even remotely Hugo worthy.

Mars4523 fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Aug 24, 2015

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wittgen posted:

This is like bizarro world english, what does this have to do with books, the dresden files, and urban fantasy?

"puppy stories" Sounds awesome, and they should win because puppies are awesome.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Mars4523 posted:

What are you smoking? Third Body Problem by Cixin Liu won for Best Novel. While it replaced some book by Marko Kloos, who withdrew his book for being on the Sad Puppy slate, even if it hadn't been there Ancillary Sword and The Goblin Emperor are still far better candidates for the award.

ed: I see what you're saying, but you're kidding yourself if you think that Skin Game (or anything written Kevin J Anderson) is even remotely Hugo worthy.

Sorry yeah, I see you got it ill explain it to everyone else.

For Best Novel there was a long round of eliminations, where you consider 6 books, and knock one out. I think skin games got to 3rd or 4th round of that.

Why this matters is overall the Hugo's decided that Skin Games wasn't even worth of being on the hugos, as No Award won over it. Unfortunately for Jim some stupid movement decided to back it and get him on the nominations. The big question is is did people read the novel or just vote against it because of the stupid movement.

Being a fan of Jim's books I believe Skin Games is remotely Hugo Worthy. This whole 2015 Hugo awards has really soured my impressions of the hugos.

Edit: Here was the hugos for this year

Imagine if something awful book forum held an award and then FYAD brigaded it and somehow got a book onto the nomination, and then people voted to not have an award after that.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Had I been a voting member of Worldcon, I'd have voted No Award over Skin Game as well. I don't mean that as a knock against Jim, really, but it's a mediocre book and did not deserve to be on the ballot, and that's exactly why the No Award option exists.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ornamented Death posted:

Had I been a voting member of Worldcon, I'd have voted No Award over Skin Game as well. I don't mean that as a knock against Jim, really, but it's a mediocre book and did not deserve to be on the ballot, and that's exactly why the No Award option exists.

Yeah, I could have seen a Hugo for Changes but not for Skin Game.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

While i agree, it would have been up against Blackout/All Clear (which won) and The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms, so a nomination would have been the best-case scenario.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, Changes would probably have been a better option than a mediocre episodic book featuring a heist plot that is actually a poorly executed dungeon crawl rather than a heist.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Mars4523 posted:

Yeah, Changes would probably have been a better option than a mediocre episodic book featuring a heist plot that is actually a poorly executed dungeon crawl rather than a heist.
I thought Skin Game was a pretty decent episode of the Dresden series, but didn't think it was one of the 5 best SF/Fantasy books to come out this year. Also, I didn't even pretend to read the Kevin J Anderson or John Wright stuff, because I don't hate myself.

Who's the "board" Exmond is so upset about here? Hugos are voted on by everyone who pays for an attending or supporting (voting only) membership to WorldCon, and is therefore vulnerable to campaigning among people who are willing to throw $40 at it. The Nebula awards are the one voted on by SWFA members, and unsurprisingly their nomination slate looks a lot like the Puppy-free Hugo list.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

heffray posted:

I thought Skin Game was a pretty decent episode of the Dresden series, but didn't think it was one of the 5 best SF/Fantasy books to come out this year. Also, I didn't even pretend to read the Kevin J Anderson or John Wright stuff, because I don't hate myself.

Who's the "board" Exmond is so upset about here? Hugos are voted on by everyone who pays for an attending or supporting (voting only) membership to WorldCon, and is therefore vulnerable to campaigning among people who are willing to throw $40 at it. The Nebula awards are the one voted on by SWFA members, and unsurprisingly their nomination slate looks a lot like the Puppy-free Hugo list.

Allright I guess ill relent, I think skin games is good enough but apparently majority here at SA disagree.

The hugos are nominated by everyone who pays. The nominations go up against uhh, panelists? Like real life authors and people who have invested a lot into scifi. So you can get nomination in easy, but not awards.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Skin Game is at best a fun novel. There are way, way, way better books this year. I don't even think Changes would come close to qualify as the best novel of a year.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
The fact that people who tried to rig the nominations for political reasons are now complaining that a reaction to their bad-faith tactics is political is pretty great.

Unrelated: I found this image from the audio book version of storm front and it is also pretty great

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Exmond posted:

Allright I guess ill relent, I think skin games is good enough but apparently majority here at SA disagree.

The hugos are nominated by everyone who pays. The nominations go up against uhh, panelists? Like real life authors and people who have invested a lot into scifi. So you can get nomination in easy, but not awards.

Nope, the same group who nominate get the final vote.

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

Exmond posted:

I'm not think you really get how this works.

With the Hugo's, if you have a membership, you can both nominate AND vote for the winner. There's no board or panel or shadowy cabal or whatever else you're imagining. It's all very democratic.

Once the nominations are finalized, the voters are given a chance to list who they think deserves to win in order from best to worst. If they're not happy with certain options, they're allowed to put "No Award" above those works, saying they'd rather have nothing given out than have an undeserving work win.

For funsies, you can continue to rank works below "No Award", basically saying "Well this book was poo poo, but THAT book was poo poo filled with cancer".

So basically, enough people said, "Skin Game doesn't deserve the award, but gently caress me if it wasn't better than that garbage Kevin Anderson put out."

Tom Swift Jr. fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 24, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Slanderer posted:

The fact that people who tried to rig the nominations for political reasons are now complaining that a reaction to their bad-faith tactics is political is pretty great.

Unrelated: I found this image from the audio book version of storm front and it is also pretty great

The weirdest Buffy fanfiction.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

XyrlocShammypants posted:

I hate to say it, but Butcher's other inferior series are starting to influence his time and effort on the Dresden Files. I know people like steampunk and pokemon garbage but he's just not a good enough writer to split his time.

Splitting his time didn't seem to turn out too badly the last time he tried it; Codex Alera came out from 2004 to 2009, and that same period of time also saw Blood Rites, Dead Beat, Proven Guilty, White Night, Small Favor, and Turn Coat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

This is like bizarro world english, what does this have to do with books, the dresden files, and urban fantasy?

"puppy stories" Sounds awesome, and they should win because puppies are awesome.

"Puppy stories" means stuff nominated by racist, misogynistic fascists. One camp of puppies is led by a guy who derisively refers to those who write about gay people as SJWs. The worse camp of puppies is led by a guy who calls himself the voice of god and believes he is genetically superior. I guess whether or not you still consider that awesome depends on you.