Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Klaus88 posted:

Has one of LLs wild salvos hit a little closer to home then usual? :sympathy:

Also, right wing satire is an oxymoron.

quote:

The short, five-minute videos feature three main characters: overbearing Scott “Gov” Govinksy (Government), his trusting girlfriend, Alexis (Alexis de Tocqueville), and Alexis’ best friend, Libby (Liberty), who vainly tries to get Alexis to ignore Gov’s bad advice.

Hahahahahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, LED's or gently caress off. Those compact florescent or what ever are garbage and I understand the backlash against them. LED's are so good now though.
The first generation of them were definitely garbage, but the newest (good) CFLs light up near instantly and have a nice spectrum, not that sickly pale blue color.

LEDs are still better though.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Oh Putin-san you are so manly I wish you were our dictator :swoon:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I guarantee no one in the Russian government refers to Putin by his first name.

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

Julio Cruz posted:

I guarantee no one in the Russian government refers to Putin by his first name.

He prefers "Daddy"

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Clochette posted:

He prefers "Daddy"

The fact that the Russians called the Tsar's "Little Father", that is probably true.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

VitalSigns posted:

Oh Putin-san you are so manly I wish you were our dictator :swoon:

getyourgrubbyhandoutofmypocket is a really long username for facebook. They must be running out of conservative "zinger" names.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I found this on a gas pump: BEWARE OF WILL SMITH!

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

I don't get the background image here. Since when does LL101 care what the White House thinks?

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Fulchrum posted:

Yeah, so many ones of people.

Putting Shaun King on there is especially vile. Considering the fact that right wing media completely made that poo poo up to discredit him.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/08/20/1413881/-Race-love-hate-and-me-A-distinctly-American-story

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Fulchrum posted:

A sizeable amount.

For a good example,

Part 2.

I scraped together what I could find, but you have no idea how badly they hosed up simple interfacing.

Republicans claiming that they have relativistic awareness and need the light to go on faster than a microsecond, I guess.

Besides the other points being completely false (except in cold weather, where CFLs tend to suck...though for LEDs there's no problem); no, tungsten-filament incandescents are not safe to dispose of:

https://pubs.acs.org/cen/science/87/8703sci2.html

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.

Defenestration posted:

Putting Shaun King on there is especially vile. Considering the fact that right wing media completely made that poo poo up to discredit him.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/08/20/1413881/-Race-love-hate-and-me-A-distinctly-American-story

i was just surprised to see paul wall the people's champ on there

i guess he still has the internet goin' nuts

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Jurgan posted:

I don't get the background image here. Since when does LL101 care what the White House thinks?

Since it supports the narrative they're trying to push, duh!

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Well hello schizophrenia mixed with a dash of racism.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

VitalSigns posted:

Even though my dad gets super-mad about PC environmentalists and complained about the light bulb ban, I had to respect that he still went out and bought a bundle of the fluorescent bulbs for the house when they came out because he looked at the savings and it was worth it.

A friend of mine finally replaced all the bulbs in his restaurant to LEDs. Electric bill went from ~$1200/mo to ~$700/mo. I'm sure he's kicking himself for not doing it sooner.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Choadmaster posted:

A friend of mine finally replaced all the bulbs in his restaurant to LEDs. Electric bill went from ~$1200/mo to ~$700/mo. I'm sure he's kicking himself for not doing it sooner.

I wish I could convince my grandparents to swap out their 15 or so hundred watt bulbs for LEDs, that would make a big dent in their electricity bill.

Refind Chaos
Sep 16, 2007

King of 'tisms mountain

Choadmaster posted:

That's what I never got about the whole "gently caress energy effecient bulbs." Like why the gently caress did people want to just throw money away for no apparent reason beyond spite? It always boggled my mind that there was such an outrage about using them. I changed over as fast as I could to save money. My parents, die hard team R voters, changed over as fast as they could to save money. Then I'd go to a store and some jackass is standing in the light bulb aisle ranting at some poor clerk there about how terrible this stuff is, and the clerk is just standing there having to take this person's insane rant while trying to show them whatever options they do have. Aren't they supposed to be, at least on the face of it, the party for fiscal conservatism, so why rage against something that is fiscally conservative?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Refind Chaos posted:

That's what I never got about the whole "gently caress energy effecient bulbs." Like why the gently caress did people want to just throw money away for no apparent reason beyond spite? It always boggled my mind that there was such an outrage about using them. I changed over as fast as I could to save money. My parents, die hard team R voters, changed over as fast as they could to save money. Then I'd go to a store and some jackass is standing in the light bulb aisle ranting at some poor clerk there about how terrible this stuff is, and the clerk is just standing there having to take this person's insane rant while trying to show them whatever options they do have. Aren't they supposed to be, at least on the face of it, the party for fiscal conservatism, so why rage against something that is fiscally conservative?
The early generation of them were pretty terrible, and the idea of banning incandescents was being thrown around before mature alternatives were really on the market.

The (classical) liberal argument is that the government didn't have to step in and ban any lights before then. People switched from rushlights to manufactured candles, from candles to oil lamps, from oil to gas lights, and from gas to incandescent electric without the government needing to step in and ban the old technology, people just saw that the replacement was brighter, safer, and more cost effective and switched over, so why do they need to force it this time?

The paleoconservative argument is gently caress anything new especially if it's being pushed by big government marxists.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Using new light bulbs makes the ghost of American hero, Thomas Edison cry.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I tried to report Will Smith for spying on my checkbook, but Fbi.Government.org is down. :ohdear: How high does this conspiracy go?!

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

JFC I had to unfollow a family member because for the last few months its been nothing but right wing meme posts non-stop. I mean, literally no other kind of post on Facebook except that poo poo.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Radish posted:

Using new light bulbs makes the ghost of American hero, Thomas Edison cry.

Yeah people literally/unironically believe that Edison's lightbulb couldn't possibly have been improved upon

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Refind Chaos posted:

That's what I never got about the whole "gently caress energy effecient bulbs." Like why the gently caress did people want to just throw money away for no apparent reason beyond spite?

The Utility Monster is real.

I can't find the research, but they did a thing where people in a neighborhood were shown how much energy they consumed compared to their neighbors and were given tips on how to lower their consumption.

Most people responded by lowering their usage based on a social desire to conserve electricity. There were some people who had the opposite reaction and became competitive about using more because gently caress EARTH.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

The Utility Monster is real.

I can't find the research, but they did a thing where people in a neighborhood were shown how much energy they consumed compared to their neighbors and were given tips on how to lower their consumption.

Most people responded by lowering their usage based on a social desire to conserve electricity. There were some people who had the opposite reaction and became competitive about using more because gently caress EARTH.

That's not really the utility monster though. That's just a person being an rear end in a top hat. For it to be a utility monster, you need to short circuit the way utilitarianism determines morality. The person would have to derive more utility from that extra consumption than anyone else would, and continue to do so no matter how much energy they consumed.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yeah people literally/unironically believe that Edison's lightbulb couldn't possibly have been improved upon

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Lightbulbs - static technology that will never ever need to change.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

You see, Edison was a captain of industry, you filthy communist. All technological progress and invention stems from these brave men who part the filthy water of collectivism using their superior bootstraps.

He wasn't one of those lying scientists or high-and-mighty engineers that came up with these so-called "better" lightbulbs.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Mr. Edison, there's a government fellow FROM OVER 100 YEARS INTO THE FUTURE at the door with a funny looking lightbulb, claims that over the course of those 100 some years people did in fact manage to develop a better lightbulb.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Scruff McGruff posted:

Mr. Edison, there's a government fellow FROM OVER 100 YEARS INTO THE FUTURE at the door with a funny looking lightbulb, claims that over the course of those 100 some years people did in fact manage to develop a better lightbulb.

"Now, how can I steal this idea and patent it in my name and then sue them?"

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Edit: Whoops, beaten.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 24, 2015

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
I'm not a 1800's version of a patent troll American Hero Inventor tm :911:, but if I invented something and I went 100 years into the future and found that no one had created a better or improved version of my invention I'd probably be pretty disappointed.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

But the Shah was poo poo and the whole reason Iran had the revolution, and that's somehow Carter's fault?

AK47's are unamerican. Also, that shotgun looks a bit big for trying to maneuver around a house.

Except the fact that the agreement did work and it wasn't until after it all fell apart (during the Bush administration!) that NK gained enough plutonium to build bombs.

http://www.pri.org/stories/2015-07-21/iran-nuclear-deal-has-north-korea-written-all-over-it

Real American leadership by making arms deals with terrorists?

Jackie Mason, noted expert in international relations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Wait, what? It was wrong of Carter to give Iran to Muslims? How, exactly? Last I heard the nation was very heavily populated by Muslims. Who the gently caress else would the country belong to?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I think they're saying that it's Carter's fault that the Shah was overthrown.

http://www.theblaze.com/contributions/35-years-ago-an-iranian-revolution-thanks-to-jimmy-carter/

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Who the gently caress else would the country belong to?
Do you need to ask this question of a right wing meme? :911:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

computer parts posted:

The fluorescent bulbs do take forever to warm up though. Fortunately they're not the modern energy efficient technology.

I don't even remember the last time I bought a CFL that didn't come to full brightness instantly, what are you talking about? That said, LED bulbs are clearly superior to both CFL and incandescent.

EDIT
Beaten many, many times.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 24, 2015

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Scruff McGruff posted:

I want to see the comic with a whaling ship captain and a oil lamp with a sailor telling him, "Captain, there's a man named Edison here that says he knows better than you."

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
You cannot tell the difference between LED and incandescent. I challenge any shitlord who doesn't like them.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Aeka 2.0 posted:

You cannot tell the difference between LED and incandescent. I challenge any shitlord who doesn't like them.

Yeah, but I can SEE the difference if I look directly at the bulb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Have LED bulb prices come down significantly? I remember when they first came to market, they had all the benefits, but the cost of them meant that they wouldn't pay themselves off until 10 years of use or so.