Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Slavvy posted:

Yeah but hcc is white, I know this for a fact.

:lol: if you think being white makes you immune to police misconduct.

I'm white too, it didn't stop Ofc. rear end in a top hat McRoidRage from threatening to "put a motherfucking bullet in [my] motherfucking head" because he couldn't be bothered to yield to oncoming traffic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Not sure if this has been posted, but a >$600k Nissan Juke is somethingterrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hw8iOkrdpE

:barf:

At least the SRT Jeep Cherokee is almost-sort-of a muscle car-SUV that is at least relatively affordable. This Juke fails at everything

hedgegnome
May 20, 2008
nope. that thing is ridiculous and i love it :D

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
Heres a tuned one vs a Veyron.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTSbPB3nXDM

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dr.Caligari posted:

Not sure if this has been posted, but a >$600k Nissan Juke is somethingterrible.

At least the SRT Jeep Cherokee is almost-sort-of a muscle car-SUV that is at least relatively affordable. This Juke fails at everything

You fail at this thread.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow
FUUUCK

Five years of hard work, $15,000, and a Pristine Rust-Free Arizona Corvair wasted by the negligence of one braindead moron. The loving Jerkoff who hit me attempted to take a 25MPH 90º curve in a residential neighborhood at a good 45-50MPH. By the time we saw him, he was so far over the center line that we couldn't do much to get out of the way. Of course he was drunk. Seeing the cops shove him cuffed into the back of a Cruiser was the only gratifying moment of the night. I'm thankful I'm not hurt but I'm so drat mad. The guy who helped me build this car Has Terminal ALS and won't be around much longer. This is the last Corvair he ever built, and we just finished it this spring. He never got the time to finish his own projects.
:fuckoff: Drunk Driving assholes.

On the bright side, His brand new 2015 Sentra is wasted and I have a chunk of his front end to hang on my Garage wall as a trophy. He bounced off us like a drat tennis ball.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Sep 10, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Geoj posted:

I'm white too, it didn't stop Ofc. rear end in a top hat McRoidRage from threatening to "put a motherfucking bullet in [my] motherfucking head" because he couldn't be bothered to yield to oncoming traffic.

Some years ago we were leaving a club I was randomly selected by an officer to test some new crowd suppression techniques. One of which involved him connected my head to the hood of a car and then applying my face to the pavement. As a final demonstration he apply pressure to my windpipe with his foot as his hand were occupied aiming the gun at me and the taser at my friends.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Geoj posted:

Rhyno posted:

Some years ago we were leaving a club I was randomly selected by an officer to test some new crowd suppression techniques. One of which involved him connected my head to the hood of a car and then applying my face to the pavement. As a final demonstration he apply pressure to my windpipe with his foot as his hand were occupied aiming the gun at me and the taser at my friends.

You guys live in a defacto police state, hth.

MullardEL34 posted:

FUUUCK

Five years of hard work, $15,000, and a Pristine Rust-Free Arizona Corvair waisted by the negligence of one braindead moron. The loving Jerkoff who hit me attempted to take a 25MPH 90º curve in a residential neighborhood at a good 45-50MPH. By the time we saw him, he was so far over the center line that we couldn't do much to get out of the way. Of course he was drunk. Seeing the cops shove him cuffed into the back of a Cruiser was the only gratifying moment of the night. I'm thankful I'm not hurt but I'm so drat mad. The guy who helped me build this car Has Terminal ALS and won't be around much longer. This is the last Corvair he ever built, and we just finished it this spring. He never got the time to finish his own projects.

On the bright side, His brand new 2015 Sentra is wasted and I have a chunk of his front end to hang on my Garage wall as a trophy. He bounced off us like a drat tennis ball.

Truly the worst thing posted in this thread for quite some time, my god.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

MullardEL34 posted:

FUUUCK

Five years of hard work, $15,000, and a Pristine Rust-Free Arizona Corvair waisted by the negligence of one braindead moron. The loving Jerkoff who hit me attempted to take a 25MPH 90º curve in a residential neighborhood at a good 45-50MPH. By the time we saw him, he was so far over the center line that we couldn't do much to get out of the way. Of course he was drunk. Seeing the cops shove him cuffed into the back of a Cruiser was the only gratifying moment of the night. I'm thankful I'm not hurt but I'm so drat mad. The guy who helped me build this car Has Terminal ALS and won't be around much longer. This is the last Corvair he ever built, and we just finished it this spring. He never got the time to finish his own projects.

Aw, poo poo. :(

Glad you're ok, at least. gently caress drunk drivers though. All day.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Dr.Caligari posted:

I would invent new places to drive if I had this.

poo poo, sorry to see/hear that. I know it isn't going to replace the time lost, but I hope you get a huge check to cover the financial loss, if possible.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

MullardEL34 posted:

FUUUCK

Well godammit, that suck major rear end. This is really the only thing that I fear about owning a nice/classic car, particularly one that I like and/or put lot of time into.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

you just can't have nice poo poo. if it didn't get hosed to all hell by a drunk driver it would get bumped into in a parking lot or doored or keyed by some jealous gently caress or stolen and joy rided by crack heads.

Just no nice poo poo allowed in this world.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Sucks. A lot.

Hopefully the guy had decent insurance from the financial side at least, and hopefully he'll get to spend some really warm time in Joe's tent city. Drunk drivers are terrible.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

The Locator posted:

Sucks. A lot.

Hopefully the guy had decent insurance from the financial side at least, and hopefully he'll get to spend some really warm time in Joe's tent city. Drunk drivers are terrible.

I wish we were in Arizona, but this is Ohio, and you don't know how lucky I was to find this car here. A family had trailered it up here for a restoration project that never happened, and I found it on Cleveland CL for $800 in 2009. Everyone who worked on it said it was the cleanest body they'd ever seen on a 53 year old car. Rebuilt engine, suspension, paint, interior, everything. It took us five years. :smithicide:

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

That's heart-wrenching to hear about your Corvair, Mullard. Hopefully that rear end in a top hat gets put away for a long while.

I followed a guy on a car forum who spent 3 years or so restoring an S13 240SX. He had the finished car a week before someone in a pickup in the oncoming lane made a left turn right in front of him and destroyed it.

ComfyPants fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Aug 24, 2015

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That sucks, and that's the reason why I'd be scared to death to drive a car I spent that much time on. You can't put a dollar value on something like that.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

MullardEL34 posted:

I wish we were in Arizona, but this is Ohio, and you don't know how lucky I was to find this car here. A family had trailered it up here for a restoration project that never happened, and I found it on Cleveland CL for $800 in 2009. Everyone who worked on it said it was the cleanest body they'd ever seen on a 53 year old car. Rebuilt engine, suspension, paint, interior, everything. It took us five years. :smithicide:

My condolences to you and your friend, ALS is just as bullshit and senseless as getting hit by a random drunk. Being mad is appropriate response and I hope you do find peace.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Dr.Caligari posted:

Wrong thread.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

NoWake posted:

My condolences to you and your friend, ALS is just as bullshit and senseless as getting hit by a random drunk. Being mad is appropriate response and I hope you do find peace.

It really is. My father in law did medivac in Vietnam and Desert Storm and now he's dying from some version of ALS caused all the chemicals he was exposed to. Injustice doesn't even begin to describe it.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

8ender posted:

It really is. My father in law did medivac in Vietnam and Desert Storm and now he's dying from some version of ALS caused all the chemicals he was exposed to. Injustice doesn't even begin to describe it.

It's really the biggest tragedy here. Mike, my friend battling ALS, is one of the last real Corvair experts in NE Ohio. He spent so much time helping other people with their cars that he never got to finish his own projects, including a 1969 Monza Convertible that he was going to pass down to his grandson. Him, being part of this car's history, made it that much more special to me, and seeing something like this happen makes coming to grips with it even tougher. It's not just a 2004 Corolla that you write off, junk, and move on from. I never wanted to be one of those guys who owned a garage queen, but this is making me think twice about driving something I care about regularly.

In the mean time, I'm going to be spending as much time with Mike as I can.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Aug 24, 2015

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Dr.Caligari posted:

I agree with you on this if only from the standpoint that it's a GTR drivetrain in a Juke.

You could have a GTR Citroen 2CV if you really wanted.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

MullardEL34 posted:

In the mean time, I'm going to be spending as much time with Mike as I can.

This is the best possible thing you can do. He sounds like an awesome dude with far too little time left.

Cars can be brought back from the dead. People can't :(

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Update
I just got the police report. The guy who hit me blew a healthy .17 back at the police station.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

MullardEL34 posted:

Update
I just got the police report. The guy who hit me blew a healthy .17 back at the police station.

:eyepop:

Welcome to jail I guess

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

MullardEL34 posted:

Update

drat, son. That would qualify for an "Extreme DUI" back here in AZ.

30 days in jail. Tent City.
Year of interlock 1200 ish bucks. (Edit: The year doesn't start until he replaces his vehicle and gets interlock equipped. He can't skate it by not having a car)
Fine starting at 2500 bucks. 4000 is more likely. Depends on the judge
Therapy 500ish bucks
Random DMV paperwork around 2-300 dollars
Community service
Whatever the insurance hike costs him.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 24, 2015

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Maker Of Shoes posted:

drat, son. That would qualify for an "Extreme DUI" back here in AZ.

30 days in jail. Tent City.
Year of interlock 1200 ish bucks. (Edit: The year doesn't start until he replaces his vehicle and gets interlock equipped. He can't skate it by not having a car)
Fine starting at 2500 bucks. 4000 is more likely. Depends on the judge
Therapy 500ish bucks
Random DMV paperwork around 2-300 dollars
Community service
Whatever the insurance hike costs him.

Getting off too light.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Yes and no. While AZ is pretty high on the 'hammer criminals into financial non existence from which they will never recover and likely commit the same crime again because of it' score, AZ is piss poor bad at 'education and prevention'. It's a revolving door that solves nothing.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
http://dui.drivinglaws.org/drink-table.php

Just for reference, 0.17 would require 108 fl. oz. of beer within a relatively short time for a 180lb man (not an absolute reference, I know). I don't like drinking that much, PERIOD....alcohol or not.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
^^^^^
Yeah, if you drink the 3.2% beer they assume.

.17 is solidly drunk, but not omg drunk. No one gets excited for anything under .20 and only above .3 is anyone shocked.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
What's the legal limit in the US? I know here in AU its 0.05 which would give them a stupid high fine and loss of license for a considerable time.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

nm posted:

.17 is solidly drunk, but not omg drunk. No one gets excited for anything under .20 and only above .3 is anyone shocked.

Yeah, but that's back at the station some time later. You gotta figure he was pretty smashed when he staggered back to the car and got behind the wheel.

Mr. vacuum tubes, that is really terrible. My dad gave me his truck a couple years ago, and I had been coveting it my whole life. Not two months later, and some kid with no insurance plowed into it. My circumstances are better, since my dad is still around and the truck is fixable, but I can guess at what you're feeling and I don't envy your position.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Puddin posted:

What's the legal limit in the US? I know here in AU its 0.05 which would give them a stupid high fine and loss of license for a considerable time.

Depends on the state. The common one is 0.08. Arizona is 0.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

AZ is not "0.0" like every other state, they are .08 OR too impaired to drive safely. Given that there is no research ever to show persons under .04 to be under the influence, no expert will testify to that.
That's just some bullshit scare tactic dreamed up to say no drink anything and drive. Try claim this in a lot of states, it is true no where.

Raluek posted:

Yeah, but that's back at the station some time later. You gotta figure he was pretty smashed when he staggered back to the car and got behind the wheel.
Assuming he was on the decline, you only lose about .015 per hour.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

nm posted:

3.2% beer

These are mutually exclusive terms :colbert:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

nm posted:

AZ is not "0.0" like every other state, they are .08 OR too impaired to drive safely. Given that there is no research ever to show persons under .04 to be under the influence, no expert will testify to that.
That's just some bullshit scare tactic dreamed up to say no drink anything and drive. Try claim this in a lot of states, it is true no where.

Considering the latter of which is at the discretion of the arresting officer and contesting their "discretion" results in a year suspension of your licence regardless of the outcome of the case it's effectively zero.

I get what you're saying and yes it's a scare tactic but it works. Especially considering the demographic its targeted at.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Panty Saluter posted:

These are mutually exclusive terms :colbert:

It's Utah for "beer".

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Four pints of an IPA (7.4%) one of my local breweries makes, over the course of 3 hours, puts me at 0.16. Not a very hard amount to drink. Well according to a calculator I found.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Considering the latter of which is at the discretion of the arresting officer and contesting their "discretion" results in a year suspension of your licence regardless of the outcome of the case it's effectively zero.

I get what you're saying and yes it's a scare tactic but it works. Especially considering the demographic its targeted at.

If it is like other states, the suspension can be fought. In CA, a blood result under .08 will result in no suspension without a conviction (of DUI, a lesser charge like a reckless with alcohol), if fought, for example. You have some due process interest in keeping your license, so there is almost certainly some hearing.
Yes, you'll be arrested but you'll be arrested for a lot of poo poo.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

nm posted:

If it is like other states, the suspension can be fought. In CA, a blood result under .08 will result in no suspension without a conviction (of DUI, a lesser charge like a reckless with alcohol), if fought, for example. You have some due process interest in keeping your license, so there is almost certainly some hearing.
Yes, you'll be arrested but you'll be arrested for a lot of poo poo.

In AZ the MVD, as far as I understand it, can issue suspensions kind of like APS in California but the neither the officer or the court issue anything to the driver. It's all done separately and often times before the conviction is final. Appeals and hearings through the AZ MVD are entirely by mail. Sometimes an MVD "judge" might even call you to say no.

jamal posted:

Four pints of an IPA (7.4%) one of my local breweries makes, over the course of 3 hours, puts me at 0.16. Not a very hard amount to drink. Well according to a calculator I found.

Yeah it doesn't take much to get to .15.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

You contest their discretion in court, not in the street. The year suspension is if you refuse to consent to the testing.