Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Holy poo poo, that's a good portmanteau.

Sadly, I can't take credit for that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Forums Terrorist posted:

A lot of Irish ones are in the middle of gently caress all nowhere, but that's entirely a function of most of Ireland being fuckall nowhere and as a consequence everyone flies into Dublin anyway.

Canada has some real "hidden gems" too

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Prop Wash posted:

Canada has some real "hidden gems" too

Quiet living at this former DEW Line site!

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Kafouille posted:

It's not that simple, while stainless nearly 3 times as heavy as AL, it's also has about 3 times the yield strength. It still probably would end up heavier but not by all that much, the choice is puzzling because stainless is a pain in the rear end to work with as far as i know, it's hard and rather brittle. (Note that i am not an engineer so feel free to correct me if i'm wrong)

Captain Postal posted:

Steel, Al, Mg all have different tensile strengths. In terms of weight/unit load supported, a steel beam is much lighter than Al or Mg of equivalent strength in pure tension, Al is much lighter in pure compression and Mg is much lighter in pure bending. Other materials are better when the applied load vector is in an intermediate direction.

So look at that structure and figure out which elements are in tension/compression/bending and since all members are under a mix of loadings, how much of each load is being applied. And then choose a material. Then look at how the proportion of each load type varies under dynamic loading like vibration and gusting, and how each bolt/rivet is applying a shear load onto its supporting member, and then choose the best material again. And then redo it all once more as the structure expands and contracts at different rates under thermal loading to introduce internal tension/compression.

It's a really loving complex problem, and when you put it all together you just might find steel is the lightest material to use. And that's before looking at other properties like ease of manufacture and corrosion resistance.

I stand corrected, I hadn't even given thought to the material affecting the design.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
This is a lovely year for airshow incidents, at least one dead in Switzerland after two Ikarus C42 collide.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

MrLonghair posted:

This is a lovely year for airshow incidents, at least one dead in Switzerland after two Ikarus C42 collide.

Was that the grasshoppers?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Eagerly awaiting the NY Airshow at Stewart next week. There's a Harrier there.

Pray for me.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

VikingSkull posted:

Eagerly awaiting the NY Airshow at Stewart next week. There's a Harrier there.

Pray for me.

In a strange twist of fate, the Harrier will be the only thing that doesn't catch fire or fall out of the sky.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Headline act is a Raptor, soooo

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Colonel K posted:

Was that the grasshoppers?

Yup http://flightclub.jalopnik.com/two-aerobatic-planes-collide-at-swiss-air-show-one-pil-1725956126

For more cheerful interesting content, Kermit Weeks has a Tempest V project going, two videos for now http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOC84qwgDHkUPwfeLKL40tQ lots of talk with old British fogeys for now, he had or has a Tempest II. Consider it the ForgottenWeapons channel but for classic planes.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 23, 2015

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

VikingSkull posted:

Headline act is a Raptor, soooo

Did they ever sort out the OBOGS problem, or did it just suddenly stop trying to kill pilots and everyone pretended it's ok now?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
@Camarillo air show. Will have pics tonight.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

MrLonghair posted:

Yup http://flightclub.jalopnik.com/two-aerobatic-planes-collide-at-swiss-air-show-one-pil-1725956126

For more cheerful interesting content, Kermit Weeks has a Tempest V project going, two videos for now http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOC84qwgDHkUPwfeLKL40tQ lots of talk with old British fogeys for now, he had or has a Tempest II. Consider it the ForgottenWeapons channel but for classic planes.

Thanks for the link that's better than I could find. I know the club owner and the lead pilot, and have hangared an aircraft whilst visiting earlier in the year. Hopefully he's ok. But it's sad for all involved whomever it is.

I've no idea how Kermit Weeks keeps track of his projects, it must be about a full time job in itself.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

Did they ever sort out the OBOGS problem, or did it just suddenly stop trying to kill pilots and everyone pretended it's ok now?

Depends on who you ask. The official story was that their new-fangled G-suit (Combat Edge garment) was putting too much pressure on the pilots' torsos due to a problem with the BRAG valve. This exacerbated/was exacerbated by the fact that the Raptor is insanely high performing, which means that you are able to pull higher g loads at a much higher altitude than previous fighters. Combine that with the fact that aerospace physiology had atrophied quite a bit in the USAF and thus you get this.

Others would disagree with the assessment that the Combat Edge is the sole cause. I'd tend to agree with the skeptics. The whole "Combat Edge" thing is a half-assed bandaid on the issue, nothing more.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

iyaayas01 posted:

Depends on who you ask. The official story was that their new-fangled G-suit (Combat Edge garment) was putting too much pressure on the pilots' torsos due to a problem with the BRAG valve. This exacerbated/was exacerbated by the fact that the Raptor is insanely high performing, which means that you are able to pull higher g loads at a much higher altitude than previous fighters. Combine that with the fact that aerospace physiology had atrophied quite a bit in the USAF and thus you get this.

Others would disagree with the assessment that the Combat Edge is the sole cause. I'd tend to agree with the skeptics. The whole "Combat Edge" thing is a half-assed bandaid on the issue, nothing more.

"Oh, our plane is just so badass that it was causing some unexpected issues".

I don't know why that would trip your bullshit sensor, sounds completely legit. :v:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Major Kong tells us what he's learned about airplanes from the movies.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

How could he leave out Executive Decision?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

fknlo posted:

How could he leave out Executive Decision?

We don't mention Executive Decision.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Here are some of my unedited pics from the show. By the time I got there the WWII stuff was already being moved to the airfields. I have a dozen or so more pics in the gallery.

http://imgur.com/a/vws0J

Edit: I put the pics in timg, it worked for the post preview, but it doesn't seem to be working for me after the post. Is it working for everyone else?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Ahh, the b-25, how many forward firing guns do you need on a bomber?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Ardeem posted:

All of them!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Ardeem posted:

Depends. How many have we got?

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011
As long as at least one is a 75mm cannon, who cares?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
So this is pretty :stare:

tl;dr - Rivet Joint at Offutt has the entire back end catch fire on the take-off roll, crew starts screaming about fire, pilot thinks someone burnt up a hot pocket in the microwave but goes ahead and aborts the takeoff, crew safely evacs the aircraft. Here's pictures of the aftermath:

Yeah no, gently caress that. If that had happened in the air everyone on board would be dead and the plane would be a smoking hole in the ground. The best part: root cause was found to be shoddy depot maintenance by L-3 on the high-pressure oxygen system, primarily involving hand-tightening fittings that were supposed to be torqued. The leaky fitting in question melted once the fire ignited, which allowed even more oxygen to escape which contributed to the severity of the fire. Since the faulty fitting melted in the fire can't definitively say that the fitting was torqued incorrectly....but given that multiple fittings on the aircraft were found to be hand tight instead of torqued, it seems like a logical conclusion to draw. No word on what they found when they presumably did a OTI on the rest of the fleet.

It was complete dumb luck that the leak decided to ignite at that point instead of any other point in the sortie or any other sortie for that matter.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Aug 24, 2015

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!
Could that be considered a billion dollar oopsie?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

ehnus posted:

Could that be considered a billion dollar oopsie?

Damage was estimated at $62M, it was patched up and is at L-3's facility in Greenville getting depot repaired now (presumably not by the same bunch of idiots who don't know how to use a torque wrench, wait who am I kidding it's a military contractor so it's totally the same bunch of idiots.)

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Those guys got loving lucky.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Yeah, everyone on that crew should've bought lottery tickets because holy poo poo that was almost Bad.

I'm kind of surprised it's repairable. Rugged 707 design makes it relatively reasonable or the fact that it's completely irreplaceable?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I hope they fix the toilet as well.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Wiring and patching the hole. Had the fire consumed the pressure plate at the rear of the fuselage, that could put it in write off territory.

There's not much in that area that's of huge importance equipment wise.

bloops fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Aug 24, 2015

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

What's up with the bands around the fuselage? Is it similar to the C-133s where they basically flew them to pieces and banded the fleet to hold everything together?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Jumpingmanjim posted:

I hope they fix the toilet as well.

Let's not get crazy.

It might not even be emptied from the last sortie.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

joat mon posted:

On Tinian, the bombs were put in pits to load into the B-29s

I think March Field Air Museum has one of those, although I'm not sure as I didn't have time to read exactly what it was, maybe someone else here might know for sure.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I don't remember a B-29 at March, but I moved away 7 years ago so maybe they got one?

Or maybe I just don't remember.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

RandomPauI posted:

Here are some of my unedited pics...

Great stuff, thanks!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Godholio posted:

I'm kind of surprised it's repairable. Rugged 707 design makes it relatively reasonable or the fact that it's completely irreplaceable?

Irreplaceable. At its age, that airframe is a write off in any normal circumstance where replacement is an option. The $62M repair bill quoted upthread is more than a third the purchase price of a brand new equivalent airframe, but the USAF can't build new ones because any new airframe program they start costs a trillion dollars.

(I know that it would cost a lot more than a regular airliner to replace a JSTARS, but it also shouldn't cost multiple hundreds of millions of dollars just to fit the mission suite in a new airframe.)

Advent Horizon posted:

What's up with the bands around the fuselage? Is it similar to the C-133s where they basically flew them to pieces and banded the fleet to hold everything together?

What bands?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Last night, I watched an Air Disasters episode on FedEx Flight 705 wherein an employee attempted to take control of the airplane and the Pilot and Co-pilot (each at different times) pushed the DC-10 WAAAY past it's limits to try to turn the fight to their favor.

quote:

Tucker pulled the plane into a sudden 15 degree climb, throwing Sanders, Peterson and Calloway out of the cockpit and into the galley. To try to throw Calloway off balance, Tucker then turned the plane into a left roll, almost on its side. This rolled the combatants along the smoke curtain onto the left side of the galley. Eventually, Tucker had rolled the plane onto its back at 140 degrees, while attempting to maintain a visual reference of the environment around him through the windows. Peterson, Sanders and Calloway were then pinned to the ceiling of the plane. Calloway managed to reach his hammer hand free and hit Sanders in the head again. Just then, Tucker put the plane into a steep dive. This pushed the combatants back to the seat curtain, but the wings and elevators started to flutter. At this point Tucker could hear the wind rushing against the cockpit windows. At 530 mph, the elevators on the plane became unresponsive due to the disrupted airflow. Tucker realized this was because the throttles were at full power. Releasing his only usable hand to pull back the throttles to idle, he managed to pull the plane out of the dive while it slowed down.

They managed to get the plane on the ground without any serious damage (though I guess some of the skin on the elevators started rippling from the airspeed). All of the flight crew suffered multiple blows to the head with hammers, so they all had fractured skulls and high amounts of blood loss. Guy who tried to gain control of the plane got two consecutive life terms.

The plane is still in service to this day. It had about $800,000 worth of damage to it from the maneuvering.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 24, 2015

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

bull3964 posted:

Last night, I watched an Air Disasters episode on FedEx Flight 705 wherein an employee attempted to take control of the airplane and the Pilot and Co-pilot (each at different times) pushed the DC-10 WAAAY past it's limits to try to turn the fight to their favor.

They managed to get the plane on the ground without any serious damage (though I guess some of the skin on the elevators started rippling from the airspeed). All of the flight crew suffered multiple blows to the head with hammers, so they all had fractured skulls and high amounts of blood loss. Guy who tried to gain control of the plane got two consecutive life terms.

The plane is still in service to this day. It had about $800,000 worth of damage to it from the maneuvering.

Holy poo poo, I've never heard of this. Fuckin' Walter White tries to hijack a airplane -

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Yea, their attacker was a former F-14 pilot who was their flight eng. His master plan was to take out the Fed Ex building in Kentucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

Holy poo poo, I've never heard of this. Fuckin' Walter White tries to hijack a airplane -

You mean attempted air piracy.

That is the literal charge that got him life in prison. Air piracy.