Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Chillpicks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Is there a place where I can just read a bunch of crazy dwarf fortress adventures and comics?

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Hihohe posted:

I actually like getting peasants. They are blank slates ready to be engraved with mosquitos new skills. I always feel obligated to keep dwarves im their profession. It just feels weird to see a fisher crafting stuff.

I keep wanting to do this, but every time my will breaks and I resort everyone in Dwarf Therapist. I think part of it is just not having enough dwarves to start with to cover every profession I need to get going.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I'm lazy and don't care about maximum efficiency, so I make a couple of broadly defined pre-set jobs in Therapist and hand them out like candy. A farmer job with all the farming labors on, a crafter job with all the crafting labors on, and so on.

I'll eventually turn extra labors off on individual dwarves who've managed to specialize themselves to a useful level. Eventually when there's enough skilled dwarves in essential jobs, 90% of every immigration wave gets tossed into the military and forgotten about. The remaining 10% gets to be haulers.

Existing skills? Life dreams? Material preferences and personality traits? What are those?

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.

Haifisch posted:

I'm lazy and don't care about maximum efficiency, so I make a couple of broadly defined pre-set jobs in Therapist and hand them out like candy. A farmer job with all the farming labors on, a crafter job with all the crafting labors on, and so on.

I'll eventually turn extra labors off on individual dwarves who've managed to specialize themselves to a useful level. Eventually when there's enough skilled dwarves in essential jobs, 90% of every immigration wave gets tossed into the military and forgotten about. The remaining 10% gets to be haulers.

Existing skills? Life dreams? Material preferences and personality traits? What are those?

Honestly I do the same thing, I don't really think you're supposed to care about efficiency. I can play without dwarf therapist and I just ignore what people's jobs are, I only turn on jobs when something just isn't being done. If things are getting done who really cares who is doing what?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

When I get new migrants I just assign them every labor associated with whatever color they are. When things aren't getting done I pull dudes off of the farming set of labors and give them whatever needs to be done instead (god drat half the fort always ends up being farmers)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Is there a place where I can just read a bunch of crazy dwarf fortress adventures and comics?

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Dwarf_Fortress_webcomics

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Haifisch posted:

Life dreams? Material preferences and personality traits?

Do these affect the way a dwarf does its job? Like if my Masterwork Metalworker absolutely loves tin, will she go an extra mile to get a tin ingot instead of using up all the gold piled up around her?

(I know the answer to this is 'no' so consider this a suggestion/pipedream)

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
No, unless they are in a strange mood. Then all rules are off.

However, if the dwarf likes a particular material, they will gain a happy thought from interacting with it. That's the "satisfied at work" tag. So if some dwarf really likes oak wood wood and makes a table out of oak then he will be pretty happy. Doubly happy if he also likes tables.

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer
I decided to give dwarf fortress another go and downloaded the latest lazy newbie pack, but the game seems to be crashing a lot. What's going on?

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

Bundle of Keys posted:

I decided to give dwarf fortress another go and downloaded the latest lazy newbie pack, but the game seems to be crashing a lot. What's going on?
What are the circumstances? Crashing during worldgen? During embark? When the caravan attempts to leave the map? While fast-traveling in adventure mode? At season changes? When retiring a fort?

If it seems to be happening randomly during fortress mode gameplay, and you're in a forested area, then it's possible that you've run into this bug. If so, you can either try to settle at wasteland, tundra, and desert sites -- which will incidentally improve your FPS (trees are somewhat number-crunchy). If you want to stick with forested sites (e.g. for easy access to lumber and charcoal) then either avoid building anything on the surface, or make absolutely certain that you've clear-cut the construction zone (i.e. don't build within ten tiles of a living tree).

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.
Or just deforest your embark location as soon as possible. That's what I do. Have a dwarf dedicated from the start to chop down trees.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

I've been working on a dfhack script that will allow you to peek at an evil-region embark's effects before you decide to settle there, in case you're curious or want to know just what sort of a challenge you're in for. So far, though, it only spits out information about every possible evil region type in worldgen (and your world is probably only going to be using 3 or 4 at most I think). I'm having the damnedest time trying to figure out how to match the Interactions to what regions they belong to. Each interaction also has a CORPSE target that I'm having a hard time figuring out the purpose for. I imagine it determines what flora and fauna are dead by default, but I can't be sure because of a naming conflict in dfhack. Here's what it spits out to the console so far, though:

king salmon
Oct 30, 2011

by Cowcaster
Do you still have to turn off all the beekeeper labors except for one dwarf if you don't want it to be horribly bugged?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Neurion posted:

good work

I don't think we have tools for this yet. Keep it up.

king salmon posted:

Do you still have to turn off all the beekeeper labors except for one dwarf if you don't want it to be horribly bugged?

Nah, it's all good.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Oh and about that (CORPSE) thing. Look at these extracted raws for one evil region I've had.

code:
[INTERACTION:REGIONAL_6]
    [GENERATED]

[I_SOURCE:REGION]
    [IS_REGION:EVIL_ONLY]
    [IS_REGION:SAVAGE_ALLOWED]
    [IS_REGION:ANY_TERRAIN]
    [IS_FREQUENCY:100]

[I_TARGET:A:CORPSE]
    [IT_LOCATION:CONTEXT_REGION]
    [IT_AFFECTED_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]
    [IT_REQUIRES:FIT_FOR_ANIMATION]
    [IT_FORBIDDEN:NOT_LIVING]

[I_EFFECT:ANIMATE]
    [IE_TARGET:A]
    [IE_INTERMITTENT:MONTHLY]

[SYNDROME]
    [CE_FLASH_TILE:TILE:165:3:0:0:FREQUENCY:2000:1000:START:0]
    [CE_PHYS_ATT_CHANGE:STRENGTH:120:300:TOUGHNESS:200:400:START:0]
    [CE_SPEED_CHANGE:SPEED_PERC:60:START:0]
    [CE_ADD_TAG:NO_AGING:NOT_LIVING:OPPOSED_TO_LIFE:EXTRAVISION:NOEXERT:NOPAIN:NOBREATHE:NOSTUN:NONAUSEA:NO_DIZZINESS:NO_FEVERS:NOEMOTION:PARALYZEIMMUNE:NOFEAR:NO_EAT:NO_DRINK:NO_SLEEP:NO_PHYS_ATT_GAIN:NO_PHYS_ATT_RUST:NOTHOUGHT:NO_THOUGHT_CENTER_FOR_MOVEMENT:NO_CONNECTIONS_FOR_MOVEMENT:START:0]
    [CE_REMOVE_TAG:HAS_BLOOD:TRANCES:MISCHIEVOUS:START:0]

[I_TARGET:B:MATERIAL]
    [IT_MATERIAL:MATERIAL:CREATURE_MAT:HUMAN:INDEX024:WEATHER_FALLING_MATERIAL]

[I_EFFECT:MATERIAL_EMISSION]
    [IE_TARGET:B]
    [IE_INTERMITTENT:MONTHLY]
Bundle #2 from the top is what you're puzzled by. It appears separately from the spontaneous weekly reanimation. I can't speak for the trees, but I'm fairly sure that this is what makes random wildlife spawns appear in zombie form right off the bat.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

scamtank posted:

Oh and about that (CORPSE) thing. Look at these extracted raws for one evil region I've had.

code:
RAWS
Bundle #2 from the top is what you're puzzled by. It appears separately from the spontaneous weekly reanimation. I can't speak for the trees, but I'm fairly sure that this is what makes random wildlife spawns appear in zombie form right off the bat.

I thought it made wildlife spawn as zombies immediately as well, but I've found that ALL regional interactions have the CORPSE target, even those in which no reanimation occurs and wildlife always spawns in a living state. I presume it just sets all corpses as a valid target for reanimation, and only applies the reanimation when paired with the ANIMATE effect just below it.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Haifisch posted:

I also do this. I'll try to find a noble that doesn't have item preferences so they aren't spamming work orders on me, and I'll try to find military dudes that aren't stress balls (only the first 10-15 or so though), and that's about it.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Neurion posted:

I thought it made wildlife spawn as zombies immediately as well, but I've found that ALL regional interactions have the CORPSE target, even those in which no reanimation occurs and wildlife always spawns in a living state. I presume it just sets all corpses as a valid target for reanimation, and only applies the reanimation when paired with the ANIMATE effect just below it.

As odd as it seems, I think you're right. It's like the game reserves the interaction target "A" to be zombifiable corpses regardless of what the region actually throws at you. I can't find any evidence of stuff that'd rely on that to work (animation interactions that don't define [I_TARGET:A:CORPSE] beforehand, if that even works), so it has to be just an oversight on Toady's part.

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer

Shayu posted:

Or just deforest your embark location as soon as possible. That's what I do. Have a dwarf dedicated from the start to chop down trees.

That seems to have done the trick. Thanks guys!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Neurion posted:

I've been working on a dfhack script that will allow you to peek at an evil-region embark's effects before you decide to settle there, in case you're curious or want to know just what sort of a challenge you're in for. So far, though, it only spits out information about every possible evil region type in worldgen (and your world is probably only going to be using 3 or 4 at most I think). I'm having the damnedest time trying to figure out how to match the Interactions to what regions they belong to. Each interaction also has a CORPSE target that I'm having a hard time figuring out the purpose for. I imagine it determines what flora and fauna are dead by default, but I can't be sure because of a naming conflict in dfhack. Here's what it spits out to the console so far, though:

The LOSES TRAIT: HAS_BLOOD is really terrifying to me. I didn't think that husks could get any scarier, but here we are.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

GorfZaplen posted:

The LOSES TRAIT: HAS_BLOOD is really terrifying to me. I didn't think that husks could get any scarier, but here we are.

Most thralls also gain a speed boost of 20% to 60%, which makes them terrifyingly quick. There are interaction effects which can change material tags on its targets, so theoretically you could make an interaction which transmutes an undead's bones and flesh into steel. Fortunately Toady is merciful and those effects are not part of any generated syndromes.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Neurion posted:

Most thralls also gain a speed boost of 20% to 60%, which makes them terrifyingly quick.

Well... the CE_SPEED_CHANGE:SPEED_PERC thing is an absolute percentage. Those are fairly horrible speed handicaps. Zombie/thrall syndromes can be saddled with either one of those slowing effects.

If there's anything that's making them faster, it's the impossible amount of muscle that's meat-puppeting them around.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

scamtank posted:

Well... the CE_SPEED_CHANGE:SPEED_PERC thing is an absolute percentage. Those are fairly horrible speed handicaps. Zombie/thrall syndromes can be saddled with either one of those slowing effects.

If there's anything that's making them faster, it's the impossible amount of muscle that's meat-puppeting them around.

Ah, I guess I was misled by DFHack calling that field bonus_perc and assumed it was a positive gain. I'll fix my script to account for this.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Toady One posted:

Just whittling away the list -- fixed issues with full citizenship petitions and how the game tracks the state of visitors, fixed minor issues with occupation assignments in the new multi-zone locations, stopped a problem causing some scholars to not show up in city libraries, stopped the adventurer from starting with a stone-stringed instruments, fixed a long-standing world gen crash where I lucked out and got a repeatable seed... and so on! It feels like we're entering a period of posts along these lines where there will sometimes be interesting logs like the last log, and often logs that are just lists of now-unbroken known features, he he he. The collection of problems is growing smaller, anyway!

It nears.

:iit:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Alehkhs posted:

It nears.

My body is ready.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
No, my bauxite stringed "violin"!

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Alehkhs posted:

It nears.

Does this mean newbies should wait for the new version before giving DF a go?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

QuantaStarFire posted:

Does this mean newbies should wait for the new version before giving DF a go?

Nah. Get some practice with a stable version, and move on to the next once the worst problems have been ironed out.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

my dad posted:

Nah. Get some practice with a stable version, and move on to the next once the worst problems have been ironed out.

Cool. I look forward to hearing stories of dwarves being crushed by the weight of their own blood and poo poo when the new version hits, while I struggle to have my first fort survive winter in the old version.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Hey nothing wrong with stone-stringed instruments. Surely you can build an asbestos-stringed lute.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

my dad posted:

But the current version isn't stable either :haw:

Save frequently if you are doing stuff near trees.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
So I just started playing DF again after a long break. Forgot how addictive it is. I had a couple of early failures, but my latest embark seemed to be going pretty good. I made it through the first year with very little incident, found a huge pile of marble and made a glorious marble room that will one day be either a meeting hall or a grand tomb. Even found a ton of copper early, but no coal or any other metals yet.

Then I realized I have absolutely no water on the map and haven't dug into any yet. How hosed am I?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Keep going and punch into the first cavern layer. If there isn't a lake down there, you just have to deal with never letting your booze run out and accepting that your bedridden/imprisoned fools may well die of thirst.

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

Well I may finally lose my 27 year old fort to carelessness. A werecoyote appeared, I sent my three legendary squads to attack it while the rest of the fort (165 or so dwarves) was ordered to the dining room. I go to close the game at the end of the day and I have about 14 dwarves left because I forgot to turn the alert off.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Budget Dracula posted:

Well I may finally lose my 27 year old fort to carelessness. A werecoyote appeared, I sent my three legendary squads to attack it while the rest of the fort (165 or so dwarves) was ordered to the dining room. I go to close the game at the end of the day and I have about 14 dwarves left because I forgot to turn the alert off.

What was the fortress name, because RIP that fortress.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

that's 7 time as many dwarves left as Bronzemurdered

You.
Must.
Rebuild.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
We have a game chat thread in Games, and I like it but the guys there feel much more focused on console games, and I never see guys from this thread or the X3 thread there. So, do any of you guys know if is there some sort of game chat thread where the people are more focused on PC games/crazy poo poo like X3, Mount and Blade, Dwarf Fortress, etc.?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
There is a grog thread where we complain about the prices of grog games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Now I'm going to imagine one of my dwarves as Strongest Man Kurosawa. All putting cooked wombat livers into their fellow miners' lunchboxes so they'll like him more.