Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The best part is that there are going to be more people piloting the spider as the story goes on, since the skill that allows such will level up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I wonder what they'll even be in charge of. Webs? Will there be Kumos for different schools of magic?

"Information in charge! We've been spotted by the Earth Dragon!"
"Nai wa! Evasive maneuvers! Fire all Evil Eyes!"
"But the mana..."
"I don't care about the mana! Fire everything we've got! We have to bring that dragon's status down!"
"Yes sir!"
"All Magics, ready your best attacks! We're eating Dragon tonight!"

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
If you read the titles of the upcoming chapters, apparently the spider gets laser beam eyes. The translations just can't come fast enough.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Serious Frolicking posted:

Well, that's another lovely wuxia wn dropped. Long Live Summons had terrible writing, the story and setting were all over the place, and the protagonist was an arrogant little poo poo. Still, for killing time I've read worse things and will continue to read worse things. But abusing a dog? There was just a chapter dedicated to this rear end in a top hat beating up a dog that never harmed him in any way. I can't handle that crap.

It wasn't offensively bad until he suddenly decided to treat anyone not an attractive female as NPCs at best, with no indications that he was actually in a game. And then it just went further and further downhill from there. I stopped reading it ~10 or so chapters ago, glad I dropped it when I did.

Also, read the latest ISSTH for better dog reading.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Cynic Jester posted:

It wasn't offensively bad until he suddenly decided to treat anyone not an attractive female as NPCs at best, with no indications that he was actually in a game. And then it just went further and further downhill from there. I stopped reading it ~10 or so chapters ago, glad I dropped it when I did.

Also, read the latest ISSTH for better dog reading.

I did! I'm glad that Meng Hao found a friend. He seemed pretty lonely ever since all of his friends were abducted. Heck, even the lake is gone now.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

jwang posted:

If you read the titles of the upcoming chapters, apparently the spider gets laser beam eyes. The translations just can't come fast enough.

Instead of lazereyes, she got Gravity machine powers, straight outta DBZ. Kumoko's gonna get swole. Also sounds like it will work great against flying enemies.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Shura's wrath is a hilarious, incoherent mixture of wuxia and vrmmo. The protagonist is doing a bog standard 'find ancient legacies, defeat gods' story, but all of this takes place in a mmo and none of the special stuff applies to other players. It keeps going on and on about how no one ever accomplished this or that in thousands of years, but it is a brand new game so all of the background info is just meaningless flavor text. It is all played completely straight and it never, ever stops riding this boring dude's dick.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I enjoy all these silly VRMMO/reincarnation into an RPG world story, even some of the more poorly written ones, but I don't know why. Every element I can place a preference for can be accomplished just as well, or better, without RPG trappings.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Numerically quantified data? Instead of just "I reached Super Saiyan 900" it's "I reached Super Saiyan 900 with XYZ stats to show how powerful I really am". That and the silliness of quantifying life.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
There's functionally no difference between a lot of VRRMO stories and Wuxia ones, it's all banging your levels against some other dude's levels, but the protagonist has a better quality of levels/some cheat item or ability. It's just that a VRRMO story probably just has it as a straight number, and Wuxia will call it "Celestial refinement" or some bullshit and also a number. Also they both have people that are completely retarded and continue to be shocked that some person did the completely obvious thing that real people would do to reach ultimate power. VRRMO stories are slightly worse about that, especially when it comes to crafting and/or online guides. Nobody in these games ever crafts properly and nobody ever makes a normal loving guide that explains poo poo, because clearly that would give up their amazing advantage that nobody actually has compared to the protagonist that shows up and randomly starts dicking around.

I want the VRRMO that has a western guild invasion that just poses dead bodies in the shape of a giant dick or organizes massive dance meets....shaped like a giant dick. Protagonist shows up to grind for 20 hours, but is shamefully defeated by a server crash caused by the guild "Gay4Pay2Play" logging their hundreds of players on and out at the same spot rapidly for a few minutes straight. The protagonist's guild is destroyed at the last minute before a big battle by the leader giving his account information to a cam whore he met in the game that is secretly a member of the enemy guild who then proceeds to steal out of the guild vault and then disband the guild.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Personally, I love how in all those crappy mmo stories people spend real money on game items but it is treated like a status symbol and not a hilarious mark of shame.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Personally, I love how in all those crappy mmo stories people spend real money on game items but it is treated like a status symbol and not a hilarious mark of shame.

Most of those MMO stories are Chinese. Apparently(?) there's something to be said about being so filthy rich you can buy the world and own n00bs in vidya games.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So apprently Shield Hero #1 is out today but I can't find it in the Kindle Store and they're saying it's some time in Nov. and there's no Ebook version which is an instant not buy.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

FriggenJ posted:

Most of those MMO stories are Chinese. Apparently(?) there's something to be said about being so filthy rich you can buy the world and own n00bs in vidya games.

It's also present in some Korean stuff, which is also why so many Korean MMO companies had problems in the US at the start, thinking they could sell OP equipment in the cash shop as normal in the West.

Took em a while to realize that it's all turned around from their perspective, people will pay TOP DOLLAR for a cute dress for their MMO anime girl but scoff at the idea of overpowered equipment for the most part.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm reading psycho love comedy, which is about a guy interacting with girls with various sizes of baps, the gimmick is that they're in a school for murderers

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The guy is not a murderer, the girls may or may not be, one of them wears a gas mask and has ample baps

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

quote:

"Oh, hey, you two... Don't fight, okay? Big busts and flat chest each have their distinctive qualities, ABCDEFG are all good in their own ways! Let's just leave it at that, okay? Stop arguing, okay? Love & Peace & Oppai! ...Okay? Understand?"

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Seems spiders can be scary too. Maybe not as scary as skeletons, who also have the monopoly on spooky.

I'm betting Kumo will be the reason Julius had to take over as hero. Should give us a firmer timeline.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
They were all reincarnated at the same time, but Kumoko didn't have to waste time going through childhood. So, on top of having access to innate skills and evolutions she spent her life getting stronger. The downside of course is that she didn't get a huge pool of skill points like the rest of them, but the difference in grinding time was huge. So, after 16 years or so of just being completely absurd she ended up as a demon lord with gods as subordinates. The timeline seems clear enough, but the big question now is just how Kumoko made the jump from being the bane of the dungeon to a humanoid demon. A humanoid demon with social skills, no less!

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

The previous hero was the one in the prologue. It's not clear as written but it mentions the hero and demon lord cooperating as being the "tragedy", and they both died from the "backlash" (probably death via mana drain, which explains the time delay before Julius took over) instead of actually hurting each other with their magic. Space magic is also something that can "reach the gods" (psedo-admin power) so they were cooperating to fight an admin.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I wanted to check out the spider novel and didn't even get half a page in before:

That character is multifarious. (その性質は千差万別 TL note: don't know how to translate this)

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

"I recall that I was in a lesson of Japanese language"

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

They were all reincarnated at the same time, but Kumoko didn't have to waste time going through childhood. So, on top of having access to innate skills and evolutions she spent her life getting stronger. The downside of course is that she didn't get a huge pool of skill points like the rest of them, but the difference in grinding time was huge. So, after 16 years or so of just being completely absurd she ended up as a demon lord with gods as subordinates. The timeline seems clear enough, but the big question now is just how Kumoko made the jump from being the bane of the dungeon to a humanoid demon. A humanoid demon with social skills, no less!
Slight spoilers but not really because come on its obvious: she doesn't get social skills she just makes do with newer forms of insanity.

Algid fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 29, 2015

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Algid posted:

The previous hero was the one in the prologue. It's not clear as written but it mentions the hero and demon lord cooperating as being the "tragedy", and they both died from the "backlash" (probably death via mana drain, which explains the time delay before Julius took over) instead of actually hurting each other with their magic. Space magic is also something that can "reach the gods" (psedo-admin power) so they were cooperating to fight an admin.

I don't believe they were cooperating, unless you're getting that from the untranslated novel. The translation reads that they were fighting each other using dimensional magic, killed each other/themselves from backlash, and the magic bled over into other worlds. But I did forget about that.

I knew they were all reincarnated at the same time but we don't know where Kumoko's current time fits into the overall timeline. She could be weeks or months old, though probably not years.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

"I recall that I was in a lesson of Japanese language"

Lol

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I'd probably enjoy the spider book more if I just looked at the raws and translated it myself painfully slowly by hand.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The cross section of translators who are good at japanese and english is depressingly small.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

The cross section of translators who are good at japanese and english is depressingly small.

translator guy posted:

Hi guys. I am new in blogging and also to translating web novels. Started my 1st project just on a whim.

My English is not that good actually and I can't read Japanese. Learned my Japanese through animes only so don't expect much. Well let's just get back to the novel then.
He's pretty much the exact opposite of that.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I gave up, goodbye until next time, LN thread.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I've still read worse. I am able to follow what's going on in this even if the tenses, plurality, and some sentences get mangled. Sure, if this were something I paid money for I'd be getting a refund, but its fine for something someone is doing for fun or to practice at English. Though I think they'd want a literate native English speaking editor to make corrections so they can improve more if that's their goal.

If you want to see something truly unreadable try to read the fan translations of the later mondaiji-tachi novels.]

e: Didn't realize the translator "learned" Japanese from anime. I'm amazed it came out as well as it did, good job on their part even if it's pretty rough at times.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It is a pity that kumoko is fundamentally impossible to animate.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Whoaaaaa. Things just got super serious for Kumo:

Apparently reaching Taboo 10 grants you access to the source code of the world or something? Anyways it made Kumoko super mad now that she found out about how this new world works and now she wants to destroy the world. And she's already a horrific being that sends everything skittering away from her as quick as possible on the first 2 levels of the Elro Dungeon

If they ever make an anime of this, it'd be super trippy with how insane the MC gets. She'd probably fit right in with the rest of Arkham Asylum inmates at this point, though perhaps she'll become so insane that she loops back around to sanity.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Taboo broke Kumo-chan.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Too much anime on my part kind of warped my definition of insanity. Kumo still has her sense of self, isn't deluding herself into seeing a reality that isn't there, and has her emotions in check. The only thing that really counts is her newfound nihilism after discovering the truth. The one definition of unreasonableness fits her for her quest of omnicide, and even that would probably be justifiable given the knowledge we'll eventually find out.

The closest anime shows I could see a Kumo series would be like, would be horror Mushishi and Kino's Journey without the interactions. More like the sense of loneliness, claustrophobia and desperation to live.

Usually characters with Kumo's background end up being the anti hero or the crazed dog side character, it would be an interesting take to see how they would visually entail Kumo's predicament, and not make it repetitive/boring.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 29, 2015

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

The translations for Kumoko are so bad that I am seriously considering starting from scratch and translating them myself. My Japanese reading ability is middling at best (although there are browser plugins to automatically look up kanji) and the main character uses a bunch of web/gaming slang that I'm not really familiar with, but at least I can understand what's going on and put together a comprehensible English sentence.

It would be hard for me to catch up to where the current translations are, though, since he's blazing through them at such a ridiculous speed.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I say go for it. I'll still read his translations, because, well, ridiculous speed. But for something this good, it'd be a shame if the only English translation available was so bad.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Go ahead if you like. we're not baka tsuki who think that only one person is aloowed to work on a project.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I'd definitely re-read it with a better translation. I'd like to do the same thing or help on a project like that but between work and school I just don't have any time. :(

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

blastron posted:

The translations for Kumoko are so bad that I am seriously considering starting from scratch and translating them myself. My Japanese reading ability is middling at best (although there are browser plugins to automatically look up kanji) and the main character uses a bunch of web/gaming slang that I'm not really familiar with, but at least I can understand what's going on and put together a comprehensible English sentence.

It would be hard for me to catch up to where the current translations are, though, since he's blazing through them at such a ridiculous speed.

It's cause he's just machine translating it and then lightly editing, there's probably a bunch of cool stuff missing that a proper translation would bring to light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Read Dawnbringer #1 and, yeah Korean YA authors are just as likely to engage in stupid bullshit as their Japanese compatriots.

There's a good story here but it's drowning in paragraphs in not Sousuke Sagura thinking with his pants and an utterly baffling sequence about sweat.

• Locked thread