Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

No Butt Stuff posted:

How about we stop giving exemptions to churches. Let's just stop that poo poo.

Good luck getting elected when the Church is saying you're a dickhead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fans posted:

Yeah pretty much the same problem here as any other "good for people, bad for politicians" reform. You either have to not tell anyone you're going to do it and then somehow get it through on your first term in office (because even if you fail, the attempt will poison your political career so badly you won't get a second one), or be honest about your intentions, get maybe 1% of the vote from the people that actually care about that issue, and never actually have the power necessary to enact any sort of change.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Lascivious Sloth posted:

for reals, this is the answer. if the argument is that churches help people and are charitable, well then they can open up a branch of their church that is a charity, but is scrutinised that the money is actually going to charity and not into the pockets of the church leaders and has to conform to all the standards that NGOs have.

There's so many actual charities and NGOs etc that have a terrible rate of their donations actually getting to people that need them that it makes churches look good by comparison. They're less scammy just by nature of not purporting to have jesus give you a mercedes, but if you think you're helping the children or whatnot you'd do well to look twice at where the money really goes.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Yeah, even charities that are generally good can be incredibly corrupt, depending on where you look. United Way, for example, has a huge swing in actual charity activity based on location.

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

hubris.height posted:

Yeah, even charities that are generally good can be incredibly corrupt, depending on where you look. United Way, for example, has a huge swing in actual charity activity based on location.

I don't know much about charitable organizations, although I am inclined to trust them more than churches when it comes to actually helping people.

That said, my girlfriend talked to a guy at a wedding reception last summer who was bragging about how profitable NGO work is. He literally got into charity for the money.

I guess the lesson is to be aware of how an organization spends its money before donating.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

MrPablo posted:

I don't know much about charitable organizations, although I am inclined to trust them more than churches when it comes to actually helping people.

That said, my girlfriend talked to a guy at a wedding reception last summer who was bragging about how profitable NGO work is. He literally got into charity for the money.

I guess the lesson is to be aware of how an organization spends its money before donating.

It's easy to say that when you only see megachurches and televangelists scamming people. Actual churches that try to practice what they preach often are doing a lot of good running food banks etc. I say this as a life-long atheist fwiw.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Austrian mook posted:

Stupid people don't deserve to be scammed out of their money.

It's not even about being stupid. Everyone has something that they want so badly that they're not completely rational about it. Thinking it's about IQ is not only inaccurate but puts you at bigger risk for being conned yourself.

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

IRQ posted:

It's easy to say that when you only see megachurches and televangelists scamming people. Actual churches that try to practice what they preach often are doing a lot of good running food banks etc. I say this as a life-long atheist fwiw.

I realize that there are many churches that do a lot of good and I didn't intend to suggest otherwise.

Unfortunately many churches also have regressive and morally repugnant positions on abortion, birth control, foreign policy, homosexuality, science, and sex education. I can't justify supporting charity work at the expense of these other issues, and that is why I am inclined to trust charitable organizations more than churches.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

readingatwork posted:

It's not even about being stupid. Everyone has something that they want so badly that they're not completely rational about it. Thinking it's about IQ is not only inaccurate but puts you at bigger risk for being conned yourself.

That always reminds me of the story of Steve Jobs, who delayed treating his cancer for two and a half months because he thought he had magic powers

MrPablo posted:

Unfortunately many churches also have regressive and morally repugnant positions on abortion, birth control, foreign policy, homosexuality, science, and sex education. I can't justify supporting charity work at the expense of these other issues, and that is why I am inclined to trust charitable organizations more than churches.

Are you saying you're incapable of trusting someone who holds different political beliefs than yourself? What kind of childish nonsense is that?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

IRQ posted:

There's so many actual charities and NGOs etc that have a terrible rate of their donations actually getting to people that need them that it makes churches look good by comparison. They're less scammy just by nature of not purporting to have jesus give you a mercedes, but if you think you're helping the children or whatnot you'd do well to look twice at where the money really goes.

The majority of charities (including the big name ones) are entirely on the up and up with the vast majority of non-direct spending being invested into fundraising (ie. allowing for larger direct spending in the future) and miniscule amounts going into admin/wages/etc.?

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Rarity posted:

The majority of charities (including the big name ones) are entirely on the up and up with the vast majority of non-direct spending being invested into fundraising (ie. allowing for larger direct spending in the future) and miniscule amounts going into admin/wages/etc.?

Are we talking charities or nonprofits because then we would also have to take into account the vast amount of sport nonprofits that are definitely aimed at profits before all else.

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

Irish Joe posted:

Are you saying you're incapable of trusting someone who holds different political beliefs than yourself? What kind of childish nonsense is that?

Hi Irish Joe!

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Irish Joe posted:

lmao you're just the worst

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Soylentbits posted:

Are we talking charities or nonprofits because then we would also have to take into account the vast amount of sport nonprofits that are definitely aimed at profits before all else.

Definitely just charities

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I'd call out local "charities" as well, which in some cases basically serve as a hobby for wealthy housewives to fund their next fancy luncheon and at the end hand over very little of the proceeds to the starving kitties/doggies/cancer kids/etc .

....and then there is the entire "Fun Run" industry built under the guise of "charity."

Some tiny small town church or even a large church is going to be helping out a lot more at a personal level.

Televangelists are a special breed of scuzz and old/misguided/potentially dumb people should be protected from them.

Unrelated to televangelists but I'm pretty sure my granpa before he died in his 80's got swindled for at least $25k by some shady investment person he met from his church. Predators are everywhere.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 19, 2015

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

readingatwork posted:

One of those things, amazingly, can be "not to die when you've been told you will die."

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Pick posted:

One of those things, amazingly, can be "not to die when you've been told you will die."

Yes, that's the central con which makes it all work.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Fans posted:

Technically part of the whole no taxes thing is that churches aren't supposed to officially get involved with politics. Like a lot of other parts in practice nobody ever enforces that rule.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

Technically part of the whole no taxes thing is that churches aren't supposed to officially get involved with politics. Like a lot of other parts in practice nobody ever enforces that rule.

I believe at least one priest said he'd refuse to give John Kerry the sacrament because of his abortion views.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Just chiming in to remind you gently caress THE COPELANDS

Chand0X
Sep 15, 2003
John's hit a nerve again.

Christian pastor lashes out at ‘false reverend’ John Oliver for mocking predatory televangelists:

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/08/christian-pastor-lashes-out-at-false-reverend-john-oliver-for-mocking-predatory-televangelists/

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Chand0X posted:

Christian pastor lashes out at ‘false reverend’ John Oliver for mocking predatory televangelists:

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/08/christian-pastor-lashes-out-at-false-reverend-john-oliver-for-mocking-predatory-televangelists/

Apparently the technical term for pissing your money away in hopes that god will fix your gambling debts is “supernatural debt cancellation," which is just golden bullshit spinning.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Apparently the technical term for pissing your money away in hopes that god will fix your gambling debts is “supernatural debt cancellation," which is just golden bullshit spinning.

Yeah, tell that to the department of education and I'll believe in whatever deity that dumb bitch wants me to. Satan himself can't stop the government from getting theirs.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Chand0X posted:

From an interview she had where she talked about this:

"I had never heard of John Oliver until yesterday.

Call me sheltered, but I don't waste my time watching junk on television when I could be making intercession, reading the Word, worshipping God, preaching the gospel, healing the sick or casting out devils."

:shrug:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I hope he gets a ton of flak from scam preachers for his piece. Any attention cast on these turds can only be good.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Any attention cast on these turds can only be good.

Sadly you're wrong. They'll just keep going anyway. Peter Popoff was publicly exposed as a fraud on the biggest show at the time (Johnny Carson) by James Randi, and he's still going today.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

AFewBricksShy posted:

Sadly you're wrong. They'll just keep going anyway. Peter Popoff was publicly exposed as a fraud on the biggest show at the time (Johnny Carson) by James Randi, and he's still going today.

Not to mention that he could use the exact same method to scam people now as he did back then because you can pick up something to encrypt a radio transmission like it was bread.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It'll at least inform people so they know that when their grandma is really into a televangelist it means they're probably getting strung along for a massive scam and need to be talked out of it.

It's like how gambling and the lottery are still big even though everyone with any sense knows that the odds are against you. At least some people understand that it can turn into an addiction and they should get help.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

JT Jag posted:

Tax-exempt status is given to a ton of organizations that don't really deserve it, and the very concept of full tax exemption in the United States should probably be reformed or abolished in favor of large tax credits if your organization can provide reasoning for why they deserve them. Non-profits that primarily do charity work would be able to get a 100% tax deduction in this way, and so forth. But it'd be audited.

It would be a huge burden to smaller charities though. I'm the Treasurer of a very small, very local non-profit and if we had to actually do our taxes every year and not just send the IRS a postcard saying "yeah we're still not making a profit" it would take up almost a quarter of our budget.

Just getting everything set up took over 6 months and dozens of forms and meetings with accountants. If you're not a religious organization there's a lot of hurdles you have to jump through.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I am ready for church.

Edit: I understood all those K-pop references.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Aug 24, 2015

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Geese are rear end in a top hat ducks that got into Crossfit. Yes!!

ChadSexington
Aug 12, 2004
I am so not competitive. In fact, I am the least non-competitive. So I win.
CSPAN callers are crazy as hell, but I really wish he'd give that bit a rest.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Who is the goon that sent the beef jerky?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Take my seed, you rat faced bastard

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
That's a big bag of seed.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Zero One posted:

That's a big bag of seed.

Maybe the cum baker sent it in.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Take my seed, you rat faced bastard

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I am pleased that whenever LWT reaches out to the presidential/party candidates, Bernie Sanders is always on the list of people that responds and is always giving the right answers. Dude probably watches the show or something.

You go Bernie.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Not being a piece of poo poo is one of the reasons to support Bernie. I doubt he watches the show, he just has the right opinions in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Was the LGBT bit part of the main segment?

• Locked thread