Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
What I was getting from his monologue was that all that pain and suffering exists forever in the Khert unexpressed. What he's doing is giving it a way to express itself, to find catharsis in at least loving poo poo up. So he's not resolving the suffering, but he's giving it a way to be heard, and killing dudes while he's at it which also owns (in his opinion).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib
And let's not forget his novel ideas about soup. I bet he's just full of modest proposals.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Autonomous Monster posted:

Well, Delicieu's assertion is that dispersal into the Khert wasn't a release for them either.
I took it to mean their negative (and positive) emotions linger in the Khert while their sense of self is at least dismantled (and possibly reassembled, I thought - can't remember, it's been awhile). Delicieu's concern seems to be less people as individuals and more their experiences as unexpressed energy.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I dunno, my main takeaway from Delicieu's philosophy is "gently caress this gay earth." He finds the metaphysical state of the world abhorrent and is loving it up for its own sake--it's not clear that he regards any of this as a real fix for anything, just a massive protest against an afterlife he perceives as monstrous (coupled with a little bit of revenge for his people being genocided.)

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Welp, guess that's it for Ana.

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe

Flesh Forge posted:

I love the depth and complexity of this comic but lately I always have a lot of trouble visually parsing what the gently caress is going on. I feel really bad about this because I'm pretty sure the problem is with me and not the art.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. I have had a lot of issues too, especially with the most recent pages where everything is red and tendrils.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Gabriel Pope posted:

I dunno, my main takeaway from Delicieu's philosophy is "gently caress this gay earth." He finds the metaphysical state of the world abhorrent and is loving it up for its own sake--it's not clear that he regards any of this as a real fix for anything, just a massive protest against an afterlife he perceives as monstrous (coupled with a little bit of revenge for his people being genocided.)

I think this is pretty well stating the "Death is the gods' crime" thesis in drawn out monologue form.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wow, eight pages today. Sadly that means a few weeks without updates, but still, a lot happened on these pages. I can see why she wanted this scene to happen all at once.

Also, wow, Delicieu is an rear end in a top hat. Look at what he's doing to Ana there. Plus side, Knock-Me-Down managed to make a clever escape, and also we got some amusing Duane-Quigley-Toma bickering.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Roland Jones posted:

and also we got some amusing Duane-Quigley-Toma bickering.

It's absolutely fantastic.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Roland Jones posted:

and also we got some amusing Duane-Quigley-Toma bickering.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

It's absolutely fantastic.
I could empty-quote this for days.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Roger Explosion posted:

I could empty-quote this for days.

It's absolutely pitch perfect, spot on character-based comedy smack dab in middle of the most horrific atrocity in the entire comic's run and I love it.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
This is one of those moments the comic was really building towards in terms of character chemistry.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Unsounded is a webcomic full of beautiful pages, but this might be the most beautiful yet:

Also: Boo did something! Sette's intervention worked!

I love it when she gets something right.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

i like that boo turned out to actually be the font of all goodness and light, apparently

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

i like that boo turned out to actually be the font of all goodness and light, apparently

It seems that the pymary that Boo is made of is basically just a bunch of happy thoughts that chase away the bad ones. It also seems that the good thoughts infused into the first silver that was going to stab Duane in the face, which I think will become the thing that finishes this fight.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
All pymarics eventually get infested with ghosts from the khert, and that includes Boo. It just turns out that the ghost-memories he's infested with are happy and adventurous ones as opposed to the horrifying mess that Cutter has been using to power his WMD.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Well hey that's one more (admittedly relatively minor) mystery solved. Why does Boo seem unusually smart and emotive? Possessed by pleasant ghosts!

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Now Boo has a bit of first silver to play around with as well.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

reignonyourparade posted:

Well hey that's one more (admittedly relatively minor) mystery solved. Why does Boo seem unusually smart and emotive? Possessed by pleasant ghosts!

That's a hell of a mystery that no one thought was a mystery and didn't even really need solving, but drat if it didn't just get solved. Nice work.

Flesh Forge posted:

I love the depth and complexity of this comic but lately I always have a lot of trouble visually parsing what the gently caress is going on. I feel really bad about this because I'm pretty sure the problem is with me and not the art.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

There's a lot of silver, ghosts, and gooey bits. While to Ms. Cope's credit it all looks detailed and well-rendered, there's not always a clear line of action or sufficiently strong sense of scene composition (to tell the eye and the subconscious what is or is not important visual information) directing the eye when all of those visual elements are in play at the same time.

So it's a reasonable problem to have.

I've been unable to visually parse half the pages of this comic ever since the first silver monster showed up. At this point I'm given up and am just along for the ride.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I didn't even see the monster grab Ana the first time until a reread. It just sort of happens in the background.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Yeah, I always thought I had a pretty good bead on the flow of the action, but these last couple pages have completely lost me at points.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

PleasingFungus posted:

That's a hell of a mystery that no one thought was a mystery and didn't even really need solving, but drat if it didn't just get solved. Nice work.

I've been unable to visually parse half the pages of this comic ever since the first silver monster showed up. At this point I'm given up and am just along for the ride.

I'm genuinely confused how someone could be unable to parse what's going on. Like...what's unclear? The big monster is basically a ghost cocoon around the people embedded with first silver and is entangled with the building using that silver. It is also trying to kill our intrepid heroes with tentacles of first silver.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

I'm genuinely confused how someone could be unable to parse what's going on. Like...what's unclear? The big monster is basically a ghost cocoon around the people embedded with first silver and is entangled with the building using that silver. It is also trying to kill our intrepid heroes with tentacles of first silver.

Yes, that much is obvious, but there's SO MUCH big ghost cocoon first silver monster entangled with the building trying to kill our heroes that it can be a little difficult to pick out individual elements of that big ghost cocoon first silver monster tying to kill our heroes.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

Yeah, I always thought I had a pretty good bead on the flow of the action, but these last couple pages have completely lost me at points.

Cope isn't particularly happy with it either, it seems, so you're not alone.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Uhh obviously dude... art is the problem, not the story.

SAY SILVER ONE MORE TIME

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Jackard posted:

Uhh obviously dude... art is the problem, not the story.

SAY SILVER ONE MORE TIME

I WILL

I'm just sayin', it's pretty easy to derive that from the visuals in conjunction with the words. Grasping the story helps me decode the visuals a lot. Silver. :shrug:

Now by contrast, Poppy O'Possum is a comic that visually confused the hell out of me recently because A) seemingly random time jumps mid story arc and B) baddies manifesting abilities that only made sense in the context of explanations given out of the comic.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Aug 25, 2015

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I WILL

I'm just sayin', it's pretty easy to derive that from the visuals in conjunction with the words. Grasping the story helps me decode the visuals a lot. Silver. :shrug:

Now by contrast, Poppy O'Possum is a comic that visually confused the hell out of me recently because A) seemingly random time jumps mid story arc and B) baddies manifesting abilities that only made sense in the context of explanations given out of the comic.

That's actually not what people are saying. Everyone "knows" whats going on because we all know the context, it's just that the visual clutter makes more specific details difficult to parse at a glance because, frankly, a lot of the silver monster massacre frames are not as well composed, in lighting or structure, as people usually expect in this comic. This is very much an art criticism and not a matter of story. This is something even Ashley Cope acknowledges, and like any good artist she intends to do better next time. And this is also something a lot of people have noticed, and they're less complaining and more noting a minor quibble.

There's tons of well-composed frames, scenes, and entire pages throughout Unsounded's run, it's just that the mess of silver and ghosts isn't quite as visually well-constructed as those. The scenes in the khert where as visually dense with information, but composed in such a way that the information never really felt "overwhelming." I suppose the first silver ghost monster being amorphous makes it more difficult for Cope to visualize a way to communicate all of the information and bloodshed in the silverful-panels clearly and efficiently. If anything, this might well be a practice run for when she really has to pull out the stops, since I doubt this'll be the only time a silveragonybomb is going to go off in the story. Indeed, in the panels dealing with Duane, Quigley, and Toma, the rampant chaos is dialed down a bit and the scene is clearly more readable than some of the previous scenes precisely because she cuts back on what visual information to include in each panel, only including exactly as much information as a panel requires.

Rather than using a single cluttered panel to show Toby's corpse attacking Knock while Ana's also being grabbed by silver in the background while the lighting for the entire frame is relatively even in intensity. You might not think that would be a problem, but people have already mentioned that they didn't notice Ana being grabbed at first glance. If Ms. Cope had the time or patience she could've broken that up into maybe a small handful of panels more clearly illustrating the sequence of events, but that's life.

This is in no way a knock on her abilities since she's clearly miles ahead of, say, Aaron Diaz in terms of visual direction. And yes, she has a leg up on Morby in terms of sequential clarity. In contrast, I think Ashley Cope could stand to take some notes from Minna Sundberg's Stand Still Stay Silent on matters of detail and visual composition when dealing with amorphous blob monster tendrils, but Ms. Sundberg could take an entire lesson from Ms. Cope on pacing and storytelling. Arguably Sundberg has a different style of storytelling but when it comes to art and storytelling, "style" is less a conviction and more an excuse.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

It's a palette problem, I tell ya. The only contrast in here is the occasional flash of yellow/blue/green and there's precious little of any of those.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That too.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Ashley's one major comic no-no that she commits is that she literally draws her dialog bubbles in the frame rather than drawing the entire scene then putting them in as a separate layer.

I can parse all of the recent pages but I kinda go through them slowly; the "non-descript underground room" setting kinda makes the silver blob indecipherable in terms of where everything is in relation to it or how it's moving. It certainly makes the scene look as chaotic as it's supposed to be for the characters but if you're trying to read it I could see a lot of people getting really confused at how everyone seems to be teleporting around the scene.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Nice name/post combo.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Just learned about Unsounded yesterday -- wow, I've been missing out, this is amazing stuff -- and am now catching up on this thread and digesting the nearly 800 pages of comic I read yesterday.

The HD pages Ashley posts to the Patreon are pretty amazing. They're 1000x1500 compared to the website versions at 600x900 and with the insane amount of detail, especially in all the chapter 10 mayhem, they help quite a bit sorting out what's going on. I would happily buy a digital version of Unsounded just so I could re-read it all in HD at some point.

Hoping we get a bit of a breather after the current mayhem resolves -- a bit more lighthearted to balance the grimdark would not be unwelcome, though clearly this is not a story likely to be all that heavy on rainbows and sunshine...

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib
It's okay, I'm sure Boo brought enough butt-squishes for everyone.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Interesting post from the unsounded tumblr regarding Sette and Aldish castes...

quote:

Anonymous asked: Do you think Matty's voice has dropped yet? I mean, if his internals are aging really fast, you'd think that he'd sound older.

Nah. Caste ageing doesn’t kick in ‘til you hit around twenty. That’s why the Copper, Jet, and Bronze freeze at that age for a good long while. If it were otherwise, they’d have obscenely long childhoods, which would just be weird for everyone (ask Sette!).

I'd initially assumed Sette was in her early teens at the oldest, but there have been some hints in the story that she isn't aging "normally", and word of god here backs that up, making me wonder just how old she is (and even if she is significantly older than she looks, so she still behaves pretty childishly much of the time). I assume eventually we'll learn what's up with that (and her tail).

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

So long as she's actually Nary's daughter (there's a non-zero chance he found her under a rosebush, I guess, but then he wouldn't get so pissed about having to look after her, he'd just chuck her out), I don't think she can be much older than... mid-thirties? Mid-twenties, probably. I reckon she's a similar age to Anadyne and Stockyard.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

(there's a non-zero chance he found her under a rosebush, I guess, but then he wouldn't get so pissed about having to look after her, he'd just chuck her out)

That really depends on what she is, exactly. It seems clear to me she's not exactly human. Maybe he needs her for something.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

It's a palette problem, I tell ya. The only contrast in here is the occasional flash of yellow/blue/green and there's precious little of any of those.

Unfortunately, people usually keep those colors on their outsides, and at present everyone's outsides are being slathered with liberal coatings of insides.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
And we're back-

Wow. That is sad.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
She had a baby boy who was :perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU