Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Strobe posted:

I wouldn't even bother with R2 Astromech on Garvin. 99 points is more valuable as an initiative bid than shaking the stress from the X-wing's exactly one red maneuver. Garvin shouldn't be the primary target to start.

On the other hand, if you have two ships flying at PS 10 then Initiative bidding becomes less of a concern, because who puts VI on Soontir?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I greatly prefer having the initiative bid to not having it. R2 Astromechs are cool, and I really like them, but in a list like that I prefer the option to taking initiative from someone else with PS10 (like Boba with VI).

I, on the other hand, am super psyched about those points costs. It'll probably come down to the dial, but they're more durable than regular X-wings, have reposition options, and you can still fit four of them into a list.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Haha that Tie with the super wingman ability. All the shuttles will stall forever!

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I've been a Star Wars nerd way longer than I've been an X-Wing player, I'm actually more interested in the lore bits on the generic pilots, but I can't read them. Can someone transcribe?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
I can't make out the upgrade on the standard Tie fighters, which you can only fit six of in a force (but that leaves you with ten points to upgrade some).

I also can't make out the background fluff and abilities.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I just noticed the generic 4-kill T-70 has an EPT.

Yay. :unsmith:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Yeah if these X-Wings have a great dial I'm sure the 24 pt PS2 will make sense.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Strobe posted:

I just noticed the generic 4-kill T-70 has an EPT.

Yay. :unsmith:

They should...they're Red Squadron Veterans.

(Still looking for some love for the T65 and Y-Wing, c'mon FFG.)

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
It means that I'm going to really enjoy running three of them with Predator and Proton Torpedoes.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Geisladisk posted:

I've been a Star Wars nerd way longer than I've been an X-Wing player, I'm actually more interested in the lore bits on the generic pilots, but I can't read them. Can someone transcribe?

zeta looks like it says

"the fragility of Tie fighters during the galactic civil war led engineers to improve durability resulting in a more durable starfighter" :downs:
I cant read the epsilon one for poo poo

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I'm not sure the generic tie/f0s really make sense in a list but the new x-wing will be pretty cool- i could see a couple of the 24 pointers taking the place of, say, 4 bandits in lists like that.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
So Poe is the only named pilot with an actual name (as opposed to just a call-sign)? Disappointing. I was hoping for a Captain Phasma at least.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
This is just the core set. Don't forget we've got the individual expansions to add more pilots.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Strobe posted:

This is just the core set. Don't forget we've got the individual expansions to add more pilots.

True enough. And if this really is hitting shelves on or around Force Friday, I can't imagine that Disney would want FFG spoiling any more of the film than necessary.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

jivjov posted:

So Poe is the only named pilot with an actual name (as opposed to just a call-sign)? Disappointing. I was hoping for a Captain Phasma at least.

Star Wars nerds haven't had a chance to whip up meticulously detailed backstories for every incidental character in the movie yet, give it some time.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Still missing from X-Wing:

- Assault Gunboats
- Ice Cream Machine Guy

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
If we're going to get episode 7 ships, am I the only one that wants episode 3 ships as well? I mean yeah the films are garbage but I'd love to see an Arc-170.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Tekopo posted:

Still missing from X-Wing:

- Ice Cream Machine Guy

I don't think that even in the deepest depths of Legends continuity that he was a starfighter jockey.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

jivjov posted:

I don't think that even in the deepest depths of Legends continuity that he was a starfighter jockey.
He had a dream man, he wanted to be in the stars.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

jivjov posted:

crew member. Ice cream vendor

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Yawgmoft posted:

If we're going to get episode 7 ships, am I the only one that wants episode 3 ships as well? I mean yeah the films are garbage but I'd love to see an Arc-170.

FFG has the rights to utilize prequel stuff, I believe there's some stuff in their Star Wars RPGs that calls back to Episodes 1-3, but they seem to have decided to take a staunch "no prequels" stance with X-Wing considering they're willing to draw on stuff like the K-Wing from the rear end-end of the Expanded Universe before they've even hinted at using anything from the prequels.

jivjov posted:

Crew upgrade.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
I was a bit confused and thought they'd introduced a new type of upgrade then I realised they have apparently started putting the modification icon on the upgrade bars.

The T70 looks pretty excellent even as a generic, the TIE/FO generics less so. I think it'll come down to preference and pilot ability which is best in a given list. Which is pretty much as it should be.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The ice cream vendor would make Porkins OP

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

EdBlackadder posted:

I was a bit confused and thought they'd introduced a new type of upgrade then I realised they have apparently started putting the modification icon on the upgrade bars.

That's not the modification icon.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Strobe posted:

That's not the modification icon.

Huh, guess I was right the first time then. Never believe my terrible eyes and then they turn out to tl be right. Any leaks suggest what it is?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
It looks like a new droid or something similar, and it's available to both Rebel and Imperial ships in the spoiled stuff.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Interesting.

As are Tie fighters with shields.

I'll be getting the new starter and one of each of the new X-wings and Tie Fighters. Here's hoping for some cool ships in Ep7.

And there is room for the Ep3 V-wings, V-19 torrents, 1st model Y wings, Arc-170s. But this then gives you a problem of which faction has access to them. They all start off in use by the Republic/Empire, but V-19s end up in the hands of scum and 1st model Y-wings would be available to the Rebels.

It gives you multi-faction ships. It also poses the question of why the hell the Empire stopped using V-wings when they are as well armed as Ties and shielded as well.

Also why in Episode 3 the Victory style Star Destroyers carried 200 fighters each whereas in the original trilogy they carry two squadrons.

Basically Episodes 1-3 were a loving mess.

For the EU, I'd like to see Preybirds, uglies, assault shuttles, cloakshape fighters and some of the real crappy little ships. I'm sure there's a planetary defence fighter that should be ten points.

Hell, are you able to get models for all the ships from X-wing Alliance from somewhere?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
There's a bunch on shapeway

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
unfortunately i forgot to include who posted it in the screenshot i took a while ago, but shout out to whoever posted this as a suggested starter setup for learning a few different things at once

played it with a mate yesterday and we both had a blast, even if i spent a long time ramming my TIEs into each other and he accidentally flew luke way off in the wrong direction when he got confused about his ship's facing, he took out one interceptor with a lucky shot from the rookie pilot and an unfortunate evade roll on the first round of combat (2 crits v 0 evades, one crit was the one that is worth 2 damage), but ultimately when we called it i'd managed to take out the a-wing and rookie pilot and my only other casualty was one of the academy pilots. definitely a much more involved and tricky game once you start putting down more than just one x-wing and 2 ties hahaha

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Since I already own 2 cores, Probably just gonna grab 2 of each and see what happens. There wasn't any unique pilots or upgrades in the core set anyway, right? It's been a long time, I could be forgetting.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Carteret posted:

Since I already own 2 cores, Probably just gonna grab 2 of each and see what happens. There wasn't any unique pilots or upgrades in the core set anyway, right? It's been a long time, I could be forgetting.

Dunno about upgrades, but Luke's from the core set for example. It definitely had unique pilots that were not in the expansion for the X-Wing or TIE Fighter.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

The Gate posted:

Dunno about upgrades, but Luke's from the core set for example. It definitely had unique pilots that were not in the expansion for the X-Wing or TIE Fighter.

The R2-D2 Astromech upgrade is unique to the core set as are Luke Skywalker along with Mauler Mithel and Backstabber, two pretty decent TIE pilots.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Backstabber was in the stand alone Tie actually along with howlrunner.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Dark Curse, then. There are two unique TIEs in the Core that aren't in the TIE Fighter expansion.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Huh, I could have sworn it was Mauler and Backstabber since they're both Vader's wingbros but it's been so long since I cracked the core set I'm probably mistaken.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

...goddamnit. But I don't want to buy another core. :(

The poo poo only found in the Core Set, per http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/topic/573-full-card-list-by-expansion/

R2-F2
R2-D2
"Night Beast"
"Dark Curse"
"Mauler Mithel"
Biggs Darklighter
Luke Skywalker

Carteret fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Aug 24, 2015

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

jivjov posted:

Poe is probably the only named person to step into a Wang or TIE on-screen in Episode 7.

zVxTeflon posted:

crew member. Ice cream vendor

2 points. Rebel only. Discard this card at the start of the activation phase to remove a stress token from this ship.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Geisladisk posted:

Poe is probably the only named person to step into a Wang or TIE on-screen in Episode 7.

Or at least the only one that they care to use for this set. Disney is trying (with mixed success) really, really hard to keep details on Episode 7 under wraps considering it's only about 4-5 months away by this point.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

The expansion sets will probably have 2 named pilots as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Kai Tave posted:

Huh, I could have sworn it was Mauler and Backstabber since they're both Vader's wingbros but it's been so long since I cracked the core set I'm probably mistaken.

It is absolutely Mauler Mithel and Dark Curse in the Core set, as I have a few extra Backstabbers I use as bookmarks. From memory, the other named TIE pilot in the Core set is Night Beast.

• Locked thread