Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Basically World War I was a huge shock to Europe's intellectual community and while a lot of them went "gently caress the world" and invented Dadaism, a few instead decided "actually, war is awesome and manly!" Those were the Futurists. I mean, they had some other poo poo going on too, they were very big on motion and technology, but they're mostly remembered for being weird young men who wrote manifestos and were uncomfortably close to fascism.

e: Woolie Wool put it better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Woolie Wool posted:

monumental but sparsely decorated buildings

Hey now, some of us actually like brutalism.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Cingulate posted:

What's Yud got to do with the Hugos?

He's been trying to figure out ways to get HPMOR in the running, including trying to tap his dad's SMOF connections.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Curvature of Earth posted:

Hey now, some of us actually like brutalism.

I was more thinking of the Concrete Rome style of Albert Speer, with these phony classical buildings whose sheer scale makes their bland faux-Roman architecture and dopey colonnades look ridiculous.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Woolie Wool posted:

It's not just "the artistic part of fascism", it's fascism as art. It's a violently emotional and histrionic (:ironicat:) form of expression based on glorifying raw, naked power. Its themes include loud, powerful machines, monumental but sparsely decorated buildings, weapons and warfare, swaggering martial music, and young strapping white men in uniforms making Hard Decisions and dying heroically for their country.

Hey this sounds like nerd-dom, only the young white guys in futurism are hot.

I hate to be that guy, but just in case it ever comes up: histrionic and histrionics are etymologically unrelated to hysterical and hysteria. They're both Latin, but histr+ basically means of or relating to an actor or acting. It is the root of history and historian, I guess because history used to involve public recitation. That doesn't matter if somebody imagines or enforces a connection, but it seems like the kind of petty garbage contention one of these turds would use if backed into a corner. Kind of like the reason they probably all have "niggardly" tucked away in their back pockets like so much pocket-sand.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

StandardVC10 posted:

Basically World War I was a huge shock to Europe's intellectual community and while a lot of them went "gently caress the world" and invented Dadaism, a few instead decided "actually, war is awesome and manly!" Those were the Futurists. I mean, they had some other poo poo going on too, they were very big on motion and technology, but they're mostly remembered for being weird young men who wrote manifestos and were uncomfortably close to fascism.

e: Woolie Wool put it better.

Actually, The Futurist manifesto predates WWI by 5 years, and the movement is a lot more complex than that. A big part of it, for example, is that Italy had recently unified, and tried to turn it's gaze outward, with the hope of building an empire of it's own. However, it found that it was kinda late to the game, and there was very little left for them to invade and become rich off of. Surrounded by other, greater powers, Futurism was related to a belief among Italian intellectuals and the middle class that to gain it's rightful place, Italy would need to go to war. In addition, it worshiped technology as a means to achieve this seizing of the Imperialist dream, and advancement overall, as only half of Italy was really industrialized at the time. Futurist art tends to focus on machines (often to the neglect of people) and violence. Paintings of racecars, fighter planes, tracers crossing a battlefield, and such.

I'll shut up, though, and repost this bit from the Futurist Manifesto, because you can practically hear it right from the mouths of a lot of the DE types.

F.T. Marinetti posted:

1. We want to sing the love of danger, the habit of energy and rashness.
2. The essential elements of our poetry will be courage, audacity and revolt.
3. Literature has up to now magnified pensive immobility, ecstasy and slumber. We want to exalt movements of aggression, feverish sleeplessness, the double march, the perilous leap, the slap and the blow with the fist.
4. We declare that the splendor of the world has been enriched by a new beauty: the beauty of speed. A racing automobile with its bonnet adorned with great tubes like serpents with explosive breath ... a roaring motor car which seems to run on machine-gun fire, is more beautiful than the Victory of Samothrace.
5. We want to sing the man at the wheel, the ideal axis of which crosses the earth, itself hurled along its orbit.
6. The poet must spend himself with warmth, glamour and prodigality to increase the enthusiastic fervor of the primordial elements.
7. Beauty exists only in struggle. There is no masterpiece that has not an aggressive character. Poetry must be a violent assault on the forces of the unknown, to force them to bow before man.
8. We are on the extreme promontory of the centuries! What is the use of looking behind at the moment when we must open the mysterious shutters of the impossible? Time and Space died yesterday. We are already living in the absolute, since we have already created eternal, omnipresent speed.
9. We want to glorify war — the only hygiene of the world — militarism, patriotism, the destructive gesture of the anarchists, the beautiful ideas which kill, and contempt for woman.
10. We want to demolish museums and libraries, fight morality, feminism and all opportunist and utilitarian cowardice.

11. We will sing of the great crowds agitated by work, pleasure and revolt; the multi-colored and polyphonic surf of revolutions in modern capitals: the nocturnal vibration of the arsenals and the workshops beneath their violent electric moons: the gluttonous railway stations devouring smoking serpents; factories suspended from the clouds by the thread of their smoke; bridges with the leap of gymnasts flung across the diabolic cutlery of sunny rivers: adventurous steamers sniffing the horizon; great-breasted locomotives, puffing on the rails like enormous steel horses with long tubes for bridle, and the gliding flight of aeroplanes whose propeller sounds like the flapping of a flag and the applause of enthusiastic crowds.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

My favorite part of the Sims interview was the bit that went "Hmf, typical leftist." "No, I was asking about your statement that you could've done the story in 250 issues, instead of the three hundred you did do." "Oh, sorry, I misunderstood."

Way to not be a dominant figure, Sims.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Woolie Wool posted:

It's not just "the artistic part of fascism", it's fascism as art. It's a violently emotional and histrionic (:ironicat:) form of expression based on glorifying raw, naked power. Its themes include loud, powerful machines, monumental but sparsely decorated buildings, weapons and warfare, swaggering martial music, and young strapping white men in uniforms making Hard Decisions and dying heroically for their country.

Hey this sounds like nerd-dom, only the young white guys in futurism are hot.

Basically Warhammer and Warhammer 40k then? :v:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Klaus88 posted:

75% of nerdy fiction, really. All of which was stolen inspired those things.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

404 reading comprehension not found, please ignore this post

Woolie Wool has a new favorite as of 04:51 on Aug 24, 2015

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Klaus88 posted:

Not enough cute twinks. :gay:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Actually, The Futurist manifesto predates WWI by 5 years, and the movement is a lot more complex than that. A big part of it, for example, is that Italy had recently unified, and tried to turn it's gaze outward, with the hope of building an empire of it's own. However, it found that it was kinda late to the game, and there was very little left for them to invade and become rich off of. Surrounded by other, greater powers, Futurism was related to a belief among Italian intellectuals and the middle class that to gain it's rightful place, Italy would need to go to war. In addition, it worshiped technology as a means to achieve this seizing of the Imperialist dream, and advancement overall, as only half of Italy was really industrialized at the time. Futurist art tends to focus on machines (often to the neglect of people) and violence. Paintings of racecars, fighter planes, tracers crossing a battlefield, and such.

I'll shut up, though, and repost this bit from the Futurist Manifesto, because you can practically hear it right from the mouths of a lot of the DE types.

Hmm, seems I got some of my facts wrong. Thank you for the correction.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
The best response to reactionary sci-fi nerds is either Norman Spinrad's The Iron Dream, a sci-fi novel written by Hitler that reads like so much bad fiction, or Michael Moorcock's essay Starship Stormtroopers. Both were written in the 70s or 80s. Noted SJW George RR Martin also had some good takedowns of the Puppies. Their agenda didn't resemble any sci-fi I've read, except maybe Heinlein.

Woolie Wool posted:

Is there a Grand Unifying Theory of Nerd Awfulness somewhere?

https://stuffgeekslove.wordpress.com/ Is great.

Night10194 posted:

What was Italian Futurism?

The source for one of the most inspiring manifestos in history. Politics aside, it's a call for art that engages with and glorifies technology instead of going back to pastoral cliches.

TIME AND SPACE DIED YESTERDAY

http://www.italianfuturism.org/manifestos/foundingmanifesto/

Count Chocula has a new favorite as of 05:47 on Aug 24, 2015

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

They can't be that like the Dork Enlightenment because DE hates "degenerate" art like literally anything that's not exact realistic depictions of things.

I mean pretty spot on in every other way, though.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
DE proponents can't be all that like Italian Futurism because right there it says IF hates utilitarianism, and if there's one thing hyper-rationalist internet-thinkers love it's discussing how suffering and inconvenience are totally fine to visit on massive percentages of the population to enrich a slim majority. :v:

But seriously. They're both a curse.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Pierson posted:

DE proponents can't be all that like Italian Futurism because right there it says IF hates utilitarianism, and if there's one thing hyper-rationalist internet-thinkers love it's discussing how suffering and inconvenience are totally fine to visit on massive percentages of the population to enrich a slim majority. :v:

But seriously. They're both a curse.

Isn't that literally the exact opposite of utilitarianism? Short of a hypothetical utility monster scenarios utilitarianism is about trying to do the maximum amount of good for the largest number of people. The increased utility of the rich getting slightly richer is not even in the right order of magnitude to counteract the decreased utility or the poor being unable afford basic necessities.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Vorpal Cat posted:

Isn't that literally the exact opposite of utilitarianism?

Exactly. The first lesson of DE is that nerds don't understand philosophy.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Exactly. The first lesson of DE is that nerds don't understand __________.

You can fill in the space with anything.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Vorpal Cat posted:

Isn't that literally the exact opposite of utilitarianism? Short of a hypothetical utility monster scenarios utilitarianism is about trying to do the maximum amount of good for the largest number of people. The increased utility of the rich getting slightly richer is not even in the right order of magnitude to counteract the decreased utility or the poor being unable afford basic necessities.
This may be just bias and misunderstanding on my end. I do get the moral argument of utilitarianism but it seems like in real life this kind of logic is only invoked by a majority to excuse a bad situation for a minority, or in crazy theoretical situations that will never happen.

See also; Yud and that insane thought experiment he made about it being preferable to torture a single man for forty years than for ten thousand people to get a mote of dust in their eye, and his cabal slavered over it and how rational it was.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

They can't be that like the Dork Enlightenment because DE hates "degenerate" art like literally anything that's not exact realistic depictions of things.
I know it's literally called reaction, but was there ever a reactionary, or fascist, or just militantly right-wing group that appreciated avant-garde art?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pierson posted:

See also; Yud and that insane thought experiment he made about it being preferable to torture a single man for forty years than for ten thousand people to get a mote of dust in their eye, and his cabal slavered over it and how rational it was.
To be fair, I am quite sure it only works once you enter the territory of numbers where our intuitions completely fail, not a mere 10.000.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cingulate posted:

I know it's literally called reaction, but was there ever a reactionary, or fascist, or just militantly right-wing group that appreciated avant-garde art?
Some Nazis, most notably Goebbels, liked Expressionism.
http://www.jstor.org/stable/261167?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emil_Nolde

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The other difference between Futurists and the Dark Enlightenment is that Futurists produced cool, inventive art when they weren't glorifying mass-murder, writing ghastly screeds about women, and signing up to die horribly in the First World War (there's a reason the movement was short-lived, and it can be seen by looking at the death-dates of many of its artists). I mean, check out some of Umberto Boccioni's work:

Elasticity

The Charge of the Lancers

Unique Forms of Continuity in Space

Materia

Laughter

Dynamism of a Soccer Player

Meanwhile, the DE have created... what? Hoon and the Sarkeesian Effect?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

HEY GAL posted:

Some Nazis, most notably Goebbels, liked Expressionism.
Well Goebbels also liked Russia, and in his active cultural policy was anything but conductive to the expression of progressive art ...

Darth Walrus posted:

Hoon

haha

Also, I don't think The Sarkeesian Effect has been truly created yet, has it?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Cingulate posted:

To be fair, I am quite sure it only works once you enter the territory of numbers where our intuitions completely fail, not a mere 10.000.

It never works, ever, because the difference between torture and a speck of dust is not one of degree. You cannot multiply enough specks in enough eyes and have it ever equal a single moment of torture.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Darth Walrus posted:

Part of the problem with sneering at every field of study besides engineering and programming is that you end up with zero artistic and aesthetic taste or theory.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Heresiarch posted:

The "nerds will seek stagnation" thing is sadly true, although it's usually true only of a certain percentage of the subculture, the most hardcore obsessives.
See also the hardcore Star Wars fandom's reaction to the unceremonious dispatch of the Extended Universe canon, etc. The more obsessive the fan, the less they like change.

Woolie Wool nailed it before: these people loathe and fear actual art and culture, they only like stuff that validates their egos:

Woolie Wool posted:

Neoreaction/Dork Enlightenment and their cousins over at LessWrong and satellites hate and fear culture. Certainly, they like their commodified pop culture, but more for its signifiers than for its content--many, perhaps the majority of these works have themes and messages that run directly against the sort of thought that underpins these movements. Of course, most obviously and inescapably, Eliezer Yudkowsky's nerd fanfic opus pretty much negates every premise, every theme, every moral of the actual Harry Potter book series, which features an antagonist whose name is French for "flight from death", whose all-consuming lust for immortal life has destroyed his ability to understand or experience even the slightest joy or human attachment. His followers believe in the inherent superiority of a group of people with natural, inherited gifts, even though the actual events of the story show that these people are in character no better, and frequently worse, than "Muggles" without these gifts. He is ultimately defeated by someone who has the natural talent but was raised by those who do not, and successfully integrates the his magical and Muggle sides into a mature identity, accepts his own mortality, and is willing to fight and die even for--especially for--the Muggles that according to Voldemort, he should see himself as innately superior to.

Among these sorts of people (and, I suspect, by other fascist-minded movements of the past), culture and art are reduced to signifiers and bits of "cool" that they attach to themselves. Their own attempts at creating art end up as propagandistic self-promotion and/or fetishistic self-indulgence (see: Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality). Art that cannot be put through this reductive process and left recognizable becomes the tools of the Enemy, a vehicle through which the Cathedral intends to infect virile Neoreactionary rationality with emotions and postmodernism and liberalism and nasty icky girly ~feelings~ because their cargo-cult rationality is so unimaginative and narrow that it leaves them unable to comprehend what it actually is, what it actually means, or why someone might actually like it.

It's kind of a tacit admission of the limits and weaknesses of their "rationality"--it falls apart if it tries to seriously examine culture, philosophy, or anything else that isn't some combination of data and facts. These all get shoved under the banner of the Cathedral, a massive part of the human experience that is now totally off-limits lest it infect you with its insidious mind viruses. It also means that their society would be, in my estimation, hellishly culturally sterile, endlessly recycling old signifiers without meaning in self-indulgent, flatulent spectacles created for the glorification of Neoreaction (see for comparison what happened to art, culture, and music under 1930s fascism). Artists, as inherently mysterious and threatening forces beyond the ken of the Neoreactionary nerd-kings, would be ruthlessly controlled and eliminated if they do anything the rulers feel threatened, insulted, or confused by. The masters of this realm would dream of their transhuman dreams coming to fruition so they can finally excise this troublesome culture from the human animal and we can exist as perfectly sociopathic beings of pure reason, unaffected by other humans' experiences and perspectives. There will be no homes, only sleeping modules; no food, only Soylent; no activities beyond maximizing production, efficiency, and power. For you, at least. Someone has to watch over the human ant farm of the future, hoarding the products of your labor as an immortal AI upload Smaug.

See also why art and culture are a complete waste of time in Effective Altruism, and not just because the EAs literally consider the future robot uprising more important than tawdry global poverty here and now. (That second article being written by a Singerian EA pissed off at the Yudkowskian EAs.)

(Yudkowsky explicitly said there was no place for art in the Singularity before. This was around the time the libertarians asserted hegemony over transhumanism, kicking out the more leftish technocracy types who thought we were all in this together. I mean, the leftish ones were also comfortable white men who never spoke to anyone who wasn't, but at least they'd heard of other humans existing.)

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
What I feel about the singularity can be summed up by that one Pictures for Sad Children comic asking what happens to the rest of the world without running water when the techno-rapture arrives.

Also I didn't know anything about Effective Altruism but holy poo poo those articles. There's probably a metaphor somewhere here about how the lives of people like this are reflections of the buildings they work in. The ones that have glass walkways above street-level so they never need to touch the ground: From school to college to STEM fields to silicon valley and never interacting with real life.

EDIT: Reading the article comments made me feel a little better, which is probably a first for internet comments.

Pierson has a new favorite as of 14:09 on Aug 24, 2015

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Pierson posted:

What I feel about the singularity can be summed up by that one Pictures for Sad Children comic asking what happens to the rest of the world without running water when the techno-rapture arrives.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

divabot posted:

Woolie Wool nailed it before: these people loathe and fear actual art and culture, they only like stuff that validates their egos:

See also why art and culture are a complete waste of time in Effective Altruism, and not just because the EAs literally consider the future robot uprising more important than tawdry global poverty here and now. (That second article being written by a Singerian EA pissed off at the Yudkowskian EAs.)

(Yudkowsky explicitly said there was no place for art in the Singularity before. This was around the time the libertarians asserted hegemony over transhumanism, kicking out the more leftish technocracy types who thought we were all in this together. I mean, the leftish ones were also comfortable white men who never spoke to anyone who wasn't, but at least they'd heard of other humans existing.)

The primary unit of nerd "culture" (as opposed to actual culture, which terrifies them), whose primary purpose is entertainment and establishing one's place on the nerd hierarchy, is the signifier. A signifier is an iconic image, quotation, character, design, or symbol that is imbued with "cool" and one can attach to oneself, absorbing its cool by osmosis. Signifiers are inherently narcissistic--it's an expression of how you're relating something someone else made to yourself. The signature banner showing the hero of Spaceballs and Dark Helmet igniting their lighsaber dicks is ultimately about you, not Spaceballs. Signifiers in and of themselves are not necessarily pathological--nearly everyone indulges in them from time to time, whether though bumper stickers, concert T-shirts, sports memorabilia, or Spanish Inquisition avatars (:ohdear:) but geeks tend to see things they like as a collection of signifiers rather than a piece of actual human culture, and construct their identity entirely around signifiers. The focus on signifiers spares the geek the burden of examining ambiguities, understanding deeper meanings, or, most importantly, evaluating something a nerd likes in the context of the overall culture of the society a nerd is part of, which involves the unacceptable step of actually acknowledging that "normalfags" (using the *chan term because it exposes this worldview at its ugliest and most basic) are important and may possess insights that you do not.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I kind of agree with their take on Sugar Man though. It made that guy look like he had positive impact with regards to apartheid, but all even the movie could muster were a bunch of white south africans who listened to his music and felt rebellious cause he says "gently caress" somewhere, instead of actually doing something.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Warren Ellis posted:

There are doubtless a ton of hot takes about Soylent founder Rob Rhinehart’s recent detailed statement about his current lifestyle and philosophy. Everyone’s done jokes about Soylent, including me, so we’ll leave that to the side. One summation of his new statement would be that he’s living the classic 80s cyberpunk lifestyle – living off a single solar panel and a butane burner, wearing clothes made by subsistence-wage workers in China that he throws away when they get dirty, and writing long, confused philosophical screeds that probably largely make sense only in his head. It would be both pointless and cruel to go after every single example of choplogic and error. All that should be taken from his statement is that he treats humanity in much the same way he treats food — as something “rotting.” The guy’s going to be found living in an old bath in Oakland in five years, and we should only feel pity and concern for his well-being.

Seasteading’s been and gone for the second (third?) time, the secession and Six-State-California guys have been and gone. It is that time in the cycle where the Libertarian App Future Brothers start living off the grid, buying guns and getting good and weird out there alone in the dark. I wonder how we’ll look back at this whole period of the last five or ten years. At how the digital gold rush and the strange pressures of a new, yet accelerated, period of cultural invention cooked a whole new set of mental wounds out of the people swept up in it. Yes, sure, it gave us sociopaths who prefer humans to be drones and believe that everything is rotting. But I think, reviewing the era, that we will be sad. I think we may look back and consider that, one more time, we saw the best minds of our generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked, dragging themselves after an Uber that isn’t actually there because Uber fake most of those little cars you see on the Uber app map.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Ellis has always been a doofus but I have always enjoyed his tireless mocking of technoutopians.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
So do you want to play a tabletop RPG made by one of these clowns? No? Well I'll just leave this here anyway

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Heresiarch posted:

And for anyone still confused about all of it, the Wired writeup on the Hugo shitstorm is very good.

I'm running a bit behind the thread, but thanks for this! I hadn't heard about the whole Puppygate thing beforehand so I was confused when everyone started talking about it here.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

DarklyDreaming posted:

So do you want to play a tabletop RPG made by one of these clowns? No? Well I'll just leave this here anyway

Oh my god this is amazing, it's like FATAL made for Stormfront members rather than 4chan/Chimpout members. :stare:

Also skraelings/weaklings was what the Norse called Inuit in Greenland shortly before the Inuit kicked all kinds of Viking rear end. :laugh:

E: actually the term was used for the natives of Newfoundland, who kicked even more Viking rear end.

Woolie Wool has a new favorite as of 22:27 on Aug 24, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
You know I get that he's an insane racist grognard, but you'd think he'd know better than to use Papyrus.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Pierson posted:

Also I didn't know anything about Effective Altruism but holy poo poo those articles. There's probably a metaphor somewhere here about how the lives of people like this are reflections of the buildings they work in. The ones that have glass walkways above street-level so they never need to touch the ground: From school to college to STEM fields to silicon valley and never interacting with real life.

EDIT: Reading the article comments made me feel a little better, which is probably a first for internet comments.

As long as we're making GBS threads all over Effective Altruism, my biggest beef is the way it feels like just shameful rationalization for things EA's would do anyway. Maximizing lives saved per dollar is pretty cool, but deciding that the best way to save the world is by either becoming rich or working on a cool computer science problem rather than actually helping people is less so. 'Sides which, it seems to me that fixing global poverty would be a necessary step to fixing any higher problems; more people trying to avert an AI apocalypse or build space stations can only help, and by some fortunate coincidence there are several billion people looking for paying work.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

DarklyDreaming posted:

To be fair, I did technically ask for it.

MizPiz posted:

Please tell me there's a rulebook for this game. I want know more about this perfect world of libertarian monarchies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
Hugo Nominee John C. Wright, ladies and gentlemen.

quote:

The Hugo Award voters paid me the signal honor of burning down two or perhaps three whole categories of awards merely to prevent me from being awarded the spaceship which the breakdown of the votes shows I was due.

I am humbled by the laud shown my work: it is not everyone who can point to the smoking wreckage of a great city whose fanes and temple, colonnades and palaces, baths and coliseums and alabaster towers the burghers burnt with their own hands to prevent falling into his.

Even stranger to behold the beast-yowling burghers dancing with odd jerks of the elbows and knees around the bonfires of their own homes where all their best beloved scrolls and trophies burn, as if some signal victory is won, while the putrid smoke climbs up forever.

Nevertheless, I take no joy and proffer no vaunt. I am no barbarian, but a Christian conqueror, and I pity even my foes. Therefore let us take a moment of solemn silence to doff our helms and lower our eyes for the dissolution of a once great institution.