Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

I can't remember if it was this thread or another but a bunch of people who worked construction were saying the owner needs to stay away and not "spy" and warn the workmen when they're coming and it was "disrespectful" and "annoying" to be snooping around. It's your own loving property you can hover there all day, specially when so many workers do awful awful work if no on else is around. If I was having a house built I'd be there multiple times a day inspecting the gently caress out of everything. I don't care if the trades like that or not, I don't want a meat-void in my house or corners cut.

There's a big fat line between overseeing the work being done and being unreasonably overbearing. Dropping by at the end of the day to go over the work with your general contractor and look for deficiencies or concerns is totally reasonable. But hovering over the crew all day is going to end up costing you twice as much because you're micromanaging and nothing will ever get done. And if you think you had lovely workers before, just wait until all your skilled tradesmen say "gently caress this" and move on to another project where the homeowner isn't hovering over their shoulders and telling them how to do their jobs.

If you don't trust your general contractor to manage the work and act in your best interests then you either didn't hire the right g.c., or you've signed a lovely contract that doesn't protect you in the event of completion delays / poor workmanship, or you don't have a contract at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I was under the impression that end of the day inspections are fine but coming more than every now and then during the workday is going to annoy the tradesmen. Besides a daily inspection should catch anything of note because it isn't like the framing, plumbing, and drywall go in on the same day. Additionally if you want to endear yourself to your future neighbors then walking around the lot and street in front with a magnetic sweeper is a great way to do it.

A friend also used his nightly walkthrough to install wiring for his surround sound system the night before the drywall went in :ninja:

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I'm actually sitting at home right now having taken the day off because I didn't want to leave the guys working on our wall here by themselves, partially because of security reasons but also in case they had any questions since there were some particulars about wiring that needed to be handled.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Shifty Pony posted:

I was under the impression that end of the day inspections are fine but coming more than every now and then during the workday is going to annoy the tradesmen. Besides a daily inspection should catch anything of note because it isn't like the framing, plumbing, and drywall go in on the same day. Additionally if you want to endear yourself to your future neighbors then walking around the lot and street in front with a magnetic sweeper is a great way to do it.

A friend also used his nightly walkthrough to install wiring for his surround sound system the night before the drywall went in :ninja:

Yeah that's what I was talking about. After the work day ends and nobodys around is a great time to walk around your property and make sure everything is what you were expecting. You could come by during the day sometimes for walkthroughs or whatever but don't harass the tradesmen during the day :psyduck:

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

When I was a kid, one of the neighbor kids got his knee hosed up and had to have surgery...because they were using a slip n' slide in the yard, and it turns out the builders just threw their beer bottles in the yard during construction. Once the dirt got softened up by all the water, the glass happened to be close enough to the surface that it just hosed him right up.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

KillHour posted:

I'd do this, but also bring pizza once a week around lunch time. I don't want them doing things to spite me when I'm not looking.

One of my friends' fathers, through the magic of being a supervisor for a construction company + being portuguese, was able to waltz into his suburb tract home under construction during odd hours with trays of coffees and claim to be a supervisor for the developer and direct modifications from the usual plans and have nobody blink an eye or ask any questions.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

taiyoko posted:

When I was a kid, one of the neighbor kids got his knee hosed up and had to have surgery...because they were using a slip n' slide in the yard, and it turns out the builders just threw their beer bottles in the yard during construction. Once the dirt got softened up by all the water, the glass happened to be close enough to the surface that it just hosed him right up.

Not quite as bad, but I had to help someone dig up their suburb backyard and that just happened to be the place where all the brick cutoffs n shards for the surrounding houses got dumped, and also where a ground-compacting thoroughfare for big earthmovers et al ran. Even with a big rented auger and several helpers that was still the slowest post-hole digging I've ever seen short of when they gotta do it manually with a spud bar when the ground's frozen.

SolidElectronics
Jul 9, 2005

Cmdr Tomalak posted:

I have one of those weird switches too. There's a switch in the dining room that controls the upstairs bathroom exhaust fan. Which is...nowhere even NEAR the dining room. I can't imagine a situation in which someone in the dining room would need to turn on the upstairs bathroom fan...

I have one of those too. It's beside the thermostat and my real estate agent told me to run it to circulate air out of the house. Like some sort of cheap half-assed HRV. I ripped out the switch and put a blank plate on it because gently caress that.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ambrose Burnside posted:

Not quite as bad, but I had to help someone dig up their suburb backyard and that just happened to be the place where all the brick cutoffs n shards for the surrounding houses got dumped, and also where a ground-compacting thoroughfare for big earthmovers et al ran. Even with a big rented auger and several helpers that was still the slowest post-hole digging I've ever seen short of when they gotta do it manually with a spud bar when the ground's frozen.

Cry me a river. My parents house (and indeed, the entire neighborhood, as well as many others,) are built on a multi-foot-thick solid layer of crushed oolite coral rock, with maybe a foot of soil on top so stuff (weeds) will grow. Shortening their driveway and turning the soil over both involved a pickaxe and a sledge.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

taiyoko posted:

I'm a gardener, and while digging in my front garden to plant a new bush, I found an entire lump of plaster in the shape of the bag they're sold in. I'm guessing a builder just tossed his extras out on the dirt when they were building this place. The hole it left was so big, I had to get some more dirt to fill it in.

I've also heard stories of people popping the tires on their riding mowers from nails and screws in their yard.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
I planted a 5 foot tall cherry blossom tree in our backyard when we moved in and discovered a poo poo ton of broken concrete chunks. It appears that when the builders demolished the old structure (well before we moved in, we aren't the first owners) they just buried the foundation and built on top of it. I always wondered why it didn't have a basement.

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth
when I was a wee chile we moved onto a property that had a bunch of plastic animal feeding equipment from the 70s thrown into a (massive) hole and lightly buried. my father thought it would be good to get rid of it, so he set it on fire. it burned for three days, massive black billowing smoke. kept smouldering for another few days.

the fire department was kinda pissed but here wasn't anything they could do. anyway after the land was clear, dirt was hauled in & pushed around, the land was split up into lots, rezoned, and sold for a profit. and now people have homes built on a plastic graveyard. :spoopy:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Jesus a 3 day smoldering plastic fire I can't even imagine how that smelled. Actually I can imagine how that smelled after a dude who's car was filled with various plastic containers caught on fire. But 3 days? I'm imagining one of those old coal mining towns with the eternal subterranean fires, but with 70's lawn garbage instead of coal.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

If I'm paying someone thousands of dollars or more they can go gently caress themselves as far as how often I show up to my own property. As long as I dont interfere with the work itself.

You have nothing to fear if you have nothing to hide :ninja:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sylink posted:

If I'm paying someone thousands of dollars or more they can go gently caress themselves as far as how often I show up to my own property. As long as I dont interfere with the work itself.

You have nothing to fear if you have nothing to hide :ninja:

And the most skilled tradesmen will say gently caress this micromanagement bullshit, and go to another job site for the sub or the gc.

So, well done?

As was said, end of the day inspections are cool. Hovering over the job site during the day is being a dick.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
You're paying the general contractor to do that. Check on the work, not the workers, and try to avoid instructing individual contractors. Look at the end of the day, and if it's poo poo talk to the general or tear him a new one, if you want. If that doesn't fix things, fire the guy and hire a good one.

If you want to be in charge of all the day to day details, hire the contractors directly and organize it yourself. Otherwise, actually respect people and let them do their jobs. You're undermining the general contractor by going around them.

If you're worried about something being covered up, set inspection hold points so you can see things before they're closed.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

SolidElectronics posted:

I have one of those too. It's beside the thermostat and my real estate agent told me to run it to circulate air out of the house. Like some sort of cheap half-assed HRV. I ripped out the switch and put a blank plate on it because gently caress that.

Are you sure it wasn't a whole house fan? Those things are amazingly effective in the right climate.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

At every single Home Depot I've been to recently they have floor displays of LED bulbs where you can look at the color temps, if there's one near you you should go check it out. I've slowly converted all my bulbs to LED, the living area ones are "warm" and stuff like the closet that I don't really give a gently caress about is the cheaper "traditional ugly blue." I'm just amazed that they cost like, $15-$30 each but are warrantied for twenty one loving years. By the time it burns out I'll be 45 and it will be the cyberpocalypse anyway. My mind can't wrap around the fact that light bulbs just... don't... burn out... anymore. Crazy :2bong:

Just finished mainlining the thread, and even though this is a few pages back, I still wanted to mention this :science:

http://99percentinvisible.org/episode/there-is-a-light-that-never-goes-out/

This incandescent bulb has been lit continuously for the last 114 years. It wasn't until the 1920's that all the lightbulb manufacturers banded together and formed a cartel that fined manufacturers if their bulbs lasted more than x hours.

Also, a lot of what kills incandescents is the thermal expansion/contraction from turning them off and on.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

OSU_Matthew posted:

This incandescent bulb has been lit continuously for the last 114 years. It wasn't until the 1920's that all the lightbulb manufacturers banded together and formed a cartel that fined manufacturers if their bulbs lasted more than x hours.

There is no such thing as a free lunch.

In an incandescent lamp, if you run the filament cooler, it lasts a long time, but it emits little light per watt. If you run it hotter, it’s more energy efficient, but the filament burns out comparatively quickly.

That 114-year bulb is monstrously inefficient.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 23, 2015

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Platystemon posted:

There is no such thing as a free lunch.

In an incandescent lamp, if you run the filament cooler, it lasts a long time, but it emits little light per watt. If you run it hotter, it’s more energy efficient, but the filament burns out comparatively quickly.

That 114-year bulb is monstrously inefficient.

4000 kWh consumed in its lifetime.

I have some 60W GE Reveal bulbs in my ceiling fan in my bedroom, which is hooked up to a soft-dimmer. They ramp up in brightness (over about a second) and ramp down as well. I still have the same set of bulbs from when I moved in, in 2007, and they are still just as bright. One went out when my wife knocked over a stepstool and it smacked the floor ... I'd replace it, but its the one that points at our faces while we're lying in bed, so it hasn't been a huge priority. Still, the remaining three have easily 2000 hours of life and 4000 on/off cycles on them :catstare:

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Just finished mainlining the thread, and even though this is a few pages back, I still wanted to mention this :science:

http://99percentinvisible.org/episode/there-is-a-light-that-never-goes-out/

Also, a lot of what kills incandescents is the thermal expansion/contraction from turning them off and on.
Isn't that just a 220v bulb being run on 110v?

Though I have heard of the soviets deciding that tungsten was too scarce, so light bulbs were made with a bit more tungsten to make them last longer and thereby use less tungsten in the long run.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
I think that lightbulb is old enough to have a carbon filament

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Also what did that lightbulb cost in 2015 to manufacture?

"Things last half as long as they used to."
"But they do twice as much and cost a tenth."
"Don't make em like they used to!"

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Deedle posted:

Isn't that just a 220v bulb being run on 110v?

Though I have heard of the soviets deciding that tungsten was too scarce, so light bulbs were made with a bit more tungsten to make them last longer and thereby use less tungsten in the long run.

The guy that invented that particular bulb would travel around with a giant marquee sign stuffed with competitors lightbulbs and would demonstrate how awesome his bulbs were by gradually cranking up the amps till every other bulb blew out, one by one.

Nobody really knows what it's made out of, since they can't dissect it while it's still running.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

OSU_Matthew posted:

The guy that invented that particular bulb would travel around with a giant marquee sign stuffed with competitors lightbulbs and would demonstrate how awesome his bulbs were by gradually cranking up the amps till every other bulb blew out, one by one.

Nobody really knows what it's made out of, since they can't dissect it while it's still running.

It's made of unicorn hair and fetal stem cells

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

My neighbors are building a new patio and it is of the highest quality.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

Oh sweet Jesus.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Oh sweet Jesus.

I believe the back of it is either sitting on the ground, or attached to the rickety fence, there are 4x4s that are just sitting on the ground, butt joints are just made wherever they ran out of wood and are not supported, no lag bolts anywhere, etc, etc, etc.

This is in Canada too, so those cemented posts that are down 6 inches or so will be shifting the hell out of that come winter.

All in all, it's wonderful :allears:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Don't forget the random rear end spacing of those crossmembers! :science:

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

The trees are my favorite part of that, don't know why.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I hope they're going to be load-bearing components, they'll probably be the best part of the deck.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Ashcans posted:

I hope they're going to be load-bearing components, they'll probably be the best part of the deck.

It can work out well if you do it right!

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

At least it's only a few feet off the ground, and death isn't certain when it inevitably fails.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Why would you want to cover over half your back yard with a lovely wood platform?

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Especially the part of the yard not connected to your house.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Maybe they're going to permanently install a live band on their new lovely stage? Or maybe they just want to have an easier time peeping over the back fence.

Anyhow, begin countdown to them setting a hot tub on top of the deck...

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Bad Munki posted:

Maybe they're going to permanently install a live band on their new lovely stage? Or maybe they just want to have an easier time peeping over the back fence.

Anyhow, begin countdown to them setting a hot tub on top of the deck...

Naah, they're going to just put plywood down and turn it into a home for wayward raccoons.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh, so like a public service, except it's more, like, against the public. Depending on their neighbors I may be able to support that, I mean we're already of at least one dude who's all peepin' over their fence taking pictures of their top secret fort of awesome 'coon collection and posting them on the internet. :v:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

What are those white/pale grey things? And are they just sitting on top of the ground?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

GotLag posted:

What are those white/pale grey things? And are they just sitting on top of the ground?

Concrete pylons, for when you need a "foundation" on the cheap. And yes, they do appear to just be sitting on the ground.