Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
daggerfall is like trying to watch one of andy warhol's films of someone sleeping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

You can't compare old games to old movies because old movies didn't have UI issues, and there isn't really a movie that's made of lovely early CG that's got redeeming values.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Is there a thread for the new Battlefront or anything?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Lurdiak posted:

You can't compare old games to old movies because old movies didn't have UI issues, and there isn't really a movie that's made of lovely early CG that's got redeeming values.

The Last Star Fighter

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

omg chael crash posted:

Is there a thread for the new Battlefront or anything?

There's a Battlefield thread somewhere

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

The Taint Reaper posted:

The Last Star Fighter

The original Star Wars used lovely early CGI for the wireframe sequence where they break down the Death Star trench run. Same with the computer stuff in Alien. And then three years later Star Trek 2 did the entire Genesis Effect sequence with CGI.

Escape From New York had a wireframe sequence but it wasn't CGI, to save money they built a model of the city and painted it black and made the wireframe out of glowing tape.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Sleeveless posted:

Escape From New York had a wireframe sequence but it wasn't CGI, to save money they built a model of the city and painted it black and made the wireframe out of glowing tape.

A decade later, they did the same sequence in Escape From LA but with CGI and it looks worse.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

TheScott2K posted:

There's a Battlefield thread somewhere

i think its called the battlefront 3 thread

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Taint Reaper posted:

The Last Star Fighter

No I mean like a movie made of nothing but that. Early 3D games look hideous the entire time you're playing them, not just for a couple of effect shots.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Lurdiak posted:

No I mean like a movie made of nothing but that. Early 3D games look hideous the entire time you're playing them, not just for a couple of effect shots.

First full 3d animated movie was Toy Story. If you don't think that's old let me tell you it was made in a time before Inverse Kinematics and they animated everything with Forward Kinematics.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
Reboot

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

That's a TV series.

Incredible Crash dummies predates it but IIRC that was just a pilot that got turned itno a TV movie.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Taint Reaper posted:

First full 3d animated movie was Toy Story. If you don't think that's old let me tell you it was made in a time before Inverse Kinematics and they animated everything with Forward Kinematics.

It's old but it doesn't look like dog doo doo, is what I'm saying. Old games totally do. If Toy Story hit theaters looking like Deus Ex, I don't think it'd be remembered that fondly.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Lurdiak posted:

It's old but it doesn't look like dog doo doo, is what I'm saying. Old games totally do. If Toy Story hit theaters looking like Deus Ex, I don't think it'd be remembered that fondly.

it look spretty awful at this point honestly.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I can't read that font.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
wow papyrus in a retail game jeusus

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Yes, I have seen a lot of skinned corpses
:frogon:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

why is there so much platforming in DmC? mission 17 is a horror show of a level.

edit: beat the game lmao what a wet fart of final boss fights. mundus is just even more grappling and vergil is a reskinned normal enemy.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Aug 24, 2015

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Nasgate posted:

Yes, I have seen a lot of skinned corpses
:frogon:

the protagonist is a necromancer detective so he probably has seen a lot of skinned corpses

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

corn in the bible posted:

the protagonist is a necromancer detective so he probably has seen a lot of skinned corpses

I feel if you're versed in the dark art of necromancy then detective would be a waste of your talents.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
You will be ashamed of your words and deeds...

http://www.videogamer.com/reviews/metal_gear_solid_5_the_phantom_pain_review.html

Note: The below review-in-progress is based off of code played over the course of four full days with a near-final build of The Phantom Pain...

...Then there's the microtransaction element. While I didn't get to play around with these, I assume they are related (or easily could be) to the various skill trees and build times relating to items, weapons, Fulton effectiveness, camos and everything else(as well as the online FOB systems, where you can build out bases etc). There are hundreds of such variants, and some of these require time to create, up to 18 minutes in my playthrough. It's here where I assume you can pay for the gear. Fine, if you want to get all the high-level items quickly. Not fine if you can't complete the mission without them and have to wait, like I did. A controversial inclusion which smacks of money-grabbing if indeed it functions this way (and I must stress I don't know this for sure) it remains to be seen how deeply it will affect the final product. Still, that those poorly-chosen character elements persist in a game this ambitious, this big, and this enjoyable disappoints sharply, and there's little excuse for them.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

The Colonel posted:

Arena and Daggerfall have aged pretty terribly, I don't know why anyone would choose to play them over even Morrowind these days.

Procedural generation is really appealing for multiple reasons.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Procedural generation is boring as gently caress and can't hold a candle to hand crafted stuff.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

hand crafted stuff is usually way better, in the sense that there is much more well done hand crafted stuff than procedurally generated stuff. Still, hand crafted stuff is much more of a driven experience, PG feels much more like you're actually exploring a world, so if you prefer the latter you might focus on the 5 games with good PG that exists so far.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Poetic language about "exploring a new world" through procedural generation intercut with clips of that extremely awkward British dude from No Man's Sky talking about his maths and how everything is maths and how he'd love to hug and kiss his maths.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

program666 posted:

Procedural generation is really appealing for multiple reasons.
None of which have to do with making a nicer game and all of which have to do with taking work off of the developer.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

The only times people have praised a game's design when it has randomly made levels is when those levels have a giant dose of handmade pieces thrown into the mix (see: Diablo, Spelunky)

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Great Joe posted:

None of which have to do with making a nicer game and all of which have to do with taking work off of the developer.

this notion is really hilarious considering that procedural generation is so loving hard to be well implemented. Well, at least to me it seems much harder considering the developer will have to balance every element of his PG game against everything else, making no assumptions about the context.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Procedural generation is good in games you start over many times by design, primarily roguelikes. It's almost never as good as handcrafted stuff in anything you only play through once or twice.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

nintendo is making a $40 amiibo. It'll likely outsell most of their fall/winter lineup

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Certainly StarFox for $60

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Poetic language about "exploring a new world" through procedural generation intercut with clips of that extremely awkward British dude from No Man's Sky talking about his maths and how everything is maths and how he'd love to hug and kiss his maths.

I want to hug and kiss that guy's maths too :)

Also procedural generation can involve handcrafted set pieces like Dungeon Crawl's vaults, it's ok, that's still PG, but you need more of them since there's no guarantee a player will actually come across any particular one

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Cardboard Box A posted:

You will be ashamed of your words and deeds...

http://www.videogamer.com/reviews/metal_gear_solid_5_the_phantom_pain_review.html

Note: The below review-in-progress is based off of code played over the course of four full days with a near-final build of The Phantom Pain...

...Then there's the microtransaction element. While I didn't get to play around with these, I assume they are related (or easily could be) to the various skill trees and build times relating to items, weapons, Fulton effectiveness, camos and everything else(as well as the online FOB systems, where you can build out bases etc). There are hundreds of such variants, and some of these require time to create, up to 18 minutes in my playthrough. It's here where I assume you can pay for the gear. Fine, if you want to get all the high-level items quickly. Not fine if you can't complete the mission without them and have to wait, like I did. A controversial inclusion which smacks of money-grabbing if indeed it functions this way (and I must stress I don't know this for sure) it remains to be seen how deeply it will affect the final product. Still, that those poorly-chosen character elements persist in a game this ambitious, this big, and this enjoyable disappoints sharply, and there's little excuse for them.

You made this look like a post relating to Dungeon keeper instead of the intended Metal gear Solid 5.

but yeah metal gear PP has you pay money ontop of already paying for a 60 dollar game and by the end of it you'll be down a few hundred bucks to complete it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhI0OVs_zj0

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Wamdoodle posted:

I feel if you're versed in the dark art of necromancy then detective would be a waste of your talents.

it makes solving crimes easier when you can just ask the victim who killed them (that's what you do in this game)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i hope phantom pain is bad because the only way i can be happy is if millions of nerds are upset

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i hope it is good, because i would like for people to be happy.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I never got that into MGS, but I've always kind of filed it away under "something a lot of goons gush over, but that I probably wouldn't like." I hope the Phantom Menace makes you happy, inasmuch as a gamer nerd could ever be happy.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The Taint Reaper posted:

You made this look like a post relating to Dungeon keeper instead of the intended Metal gear Solid 5.

but yeah metal gear PP has you pay money ontop of already paying for a 60 dollar game and by the end of it you'll be down a few hundred bucks to complete it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhI0OVs_zj0

ack my poor taint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I liked Ground Zeroes but I worry that the full game is going to have too many eyeroll characters and moments. Every time I get into a Metal Gear game I get some sudden reminder, like a character pissing himself or a loving vampire with no explanation, that it's the product of inferior Japanese developers who watch too many American direct to video movies.

• Locked thread