Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

The Ego and Its Own - Max Stirner

Hahhaa I told a guy in the reading challenge thread to read this for his wildcard and he hasn't replied since so I think he must've achieved freedom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

stirner is the weirdest loving anarchist

like wtf dude

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

My favourite almost certainly apocryphal Max Stirner story is that Nietzsche always pretended he'd never read him then accidentally let slip to a woman that The Ego and Its Own was basically the basis for everything he ever did and made the woman swear not to say anything.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

stirner is the weirdest loving anarchist

like wtf dude

Stirnerr is way better than Chomsky if we are talking "anarchist" writers

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

CestMoi posted:

Hahhaa I told a guy in the reading challenge thread to read this for his wildcard and he hasn't replied since so I think he must've achieved freedom.

Lmao not yet

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I just finished The Dictionary of the Khazars and it was really really good but my insanely millenial brain has no idea what it was actually about.

I like it more than Calvino but less than Marquez and Borges. That's my review. thanks

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 23, 2015

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I just finished The Dictionary of the Khazars and it was really really good but my insanely millenial brain has no idea what it was actually about.

eggs

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I like it more than Calvino but less than Marquez and Borges. That's my review. thanks

it's about slavs

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I really don't understand what Suk ended up doing with his magic egg

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

DannyTanner posted:

Lmao not yet

Sorry that it was a sort of weird thing but people kept seeming to recommend wildcards that were dull and that seems like not what a wildcard should be. I hope you got/are getting something out of it, even if it doesn't make you abandon all thought of higher power and become radically egoist.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Tree Goat posted:

it's about slavs

This is true of 99% of literature.

Caustic Chimera
Feb 18, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Just finished it too. I had trouble with the style because I am a child and I have read nothing like it before. I really wish I hadn't read it straight through, but the idea of jumping around like the beginning mentioned didn't occur to me until like halfway through and then I didn't want to change.

Any recommendations for people who do better with fairly straightforward things? I read Count of Monte Cristo a couple years back and really liked it, but I haven't touched anything else of Dumas'. The most brain bendy I typically get is Murakami and I've given up on understanding his books.

Otherwise I'm probably just going to grab some Mishima because I really liked Confessions of a Mask and my university library has a lot of his stuff.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Hit up some nobel prize winners, or grab some russian or german-language authors. They're usually not as challenging stylistically as The Khazars, Pynchon, and so on

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Caustic Chimera posted:

Any recommendations for people who do better with fairly straightforward things? I read Count of Monte Cristo a couple years back and really liked it, but I haven't touched anything else of Dumas'. The most brain bendy I typically get is Murakami and I've given up on understanding his books.

You want more stuff like Count of Monte Cristo? Literary, but not too far out there, and a reasonable amount of excitement?

I'd say go with Arthur Perez-Reverte's Club Dumas for a fun read, and if you want to challenge yourself, try Umberto Eco's Name of the Rose. If you tackle Rose, be aware that there's a passage at the beginning that he made deliberately difficult -- it's a threshold for the reader to pass.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

CestMoi posted:

My favourite almost certainly apocryphal Max Stirner story is that Nietzsche always pretended he'd never read him then accidentally let slip to a woman that The Ego and Its Own was basically the basis for everything he ever did and made the woman swear not to say anything.

Yeah that sounds about as true as Diogenes telling Alexander the Great to stop blocking the sun, mostly because it pre-supposes Nietzsche was popular enough with women to have that happen.

Caustic Chimera
Feb 18, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

You want more stuff like Count of Monte Cristo? Literary, but not too far out there, and a reasonable amount of excitement?

I'd say go with Arthur Perez-Reverte's Club Dumas for a fun read, and if you want to challenge yourself, try Umberto Eco's Name of the Rose. If you tackle Rose, be aware that there's a passage at the beginning that he made deliberately difficult -- it's a threshold for the reader to pass.

After sleeping on it and consulting my Goodreads, yeah, basically. I don't really trust my interpretations very much. I enjoyed One Hundred Years of Solitude for example, but it drove me nuts not understanding what the hell was going on.

Perhaps my favorite (I'm not sure I can pick honestly) is Agota Kristof's The Notebook, the Proof, the Third Lie. If nothing else that book has stuck with me for years. I would love to read more like that (in small doses. I found that book soul-crushing).

Other than that, it's stuff like Count of Monte Cristo and a lot of Japanese literature.

I'll pick through a Nobel prize list, and I'll see about Club Dumas and Name of the Rose. Thanks for the warning.
As for Russian or German, is The Master and Margarita a good place to start? I have that one on my shelf and I've been meaning to read it. I also have a copy of Crime and Punishment.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
That or Gogol is what I've been told, I haven't delved in yet.

To add, I disagree and don't think that there is any kind of 'test' at he beginning of Name of the Rose nor is it a book that you'd have to 'tackle.' There's some historical talk that you have to wade through but it's all interesting and actually impacts the story to a degree, so if you're not an impatient little nerd you'll probably find it to be pretty fast moving when it does get going. I'd say that 100 Years of Solitude is comparable, except that has a complex genealogical network to keep track of instead of historical papal politics. either one I'd recommend to pretty much anyone with those caveats

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

name of the rose has maybe the weirdest sex scene i've ever read outside of schlock fantasy

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Caustic Chimera posted:

After sleeping on it and consulting my Goodreads, yeah, basically. I don't really trust my interpretations very much. I enjoyed One Hundred Years of Solitude for example, but it drove me nuts not understanding what the hell was going on.

Perhaps my favorite (I'm not sure I can pick honestly) is Agota Kristof's The Notebook, the Proof, the Third Lie. If nothing else that book has stuck with me for years. I would love to read more like that (in small doses. I found that book soul-crushing).

Other than that, it's stuff like Count of Monte Cristo and a lot of Japanese literature.

I'll pick through a Nobel prize list, and I'll see about Club Dumas and Name of the Rose. Thanks for the warning.
As for Russian or German, is The Master and Margarita a good place to start? I have that one on my shelf and I've been meaning to read it. I also have a copy of Crime and Punishment.
Master and Margarita is really really fun. I love Russian lit but it's definitely one of the best and most accessible Russian novels out there. Count of Monte Cristo is up there with my favourites as well, which I guess makes me a plebe, but I guess means we might have similar tastes so you should enjoy TM&M too!!!

Name of the Rose is really good too yeah, the start is intentionally a bit weird but I just shrugged and skimmed it because I could tell he was being a wanker on purpose.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Caustic Chimera posted:

If you like Kristof, you would like Kafka

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.
Kristof is also great for weird sex scenes.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Caustic Chimera posted:

Master and Margarita is fun and a lot easier than Crime and Punishment but everyone should read Crime and Punishment because it is one of the best books ever.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...
Trash

rest his guts fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 24, 2019

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

rest his guts posted:

I just finished Master and the Margarita and am a genius now and I recommend that once you finish it you should go ahead and read Tolstoy instead of Dostoevsky.

hm

i think you should read both

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

V. Illych L. posted:

hm

i think you should read both

i agree

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The Master and Margarita posted:

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.
'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!'

tupac holocron
Apr 23, 2008
The son of Maryam is about to descend amongst you as a correct ruler, he will break the cross and kill the pig!
but what about andreyev

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Read the first two chapters of the accursed and I'm pretty sure the pastor is the bad guy and he used the looming spectre of racism and old southern values to summon a literal spectre, how close am I to the truth?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I am reading some short stories by Giuseppe di Lampedusa that he wrote following The Leopard which is one of my favorite novels. I've only read the first one so far, which is very different in tone, takes place during the Fascist era, but briefly does mention a connection to the family of the Leopard. The story itself broadly concerns memory of Sicily and a sort of debate over the ideas of purity and wildness. More specifically it concerns an old man who claims to have hosed a mermaid but refuses to describe much about the encounter because "your sort" (referring to the narrator of the story, a Sicilian journalist living in Turin; but also to you, the modern reader) are too vulgar and stupid to understand it. The other stories I believe also have some faint connection to The Leopard but again take place in later periods.

the collection is called The Professor and the Siren

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Aug 27, 2015

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Caustic Chimera posted:

Just finished it too. I had trouble with the style because I am a child and I have read nothing like it before. I really wish I hadn't read it straight through, but the idea of jumping around like the beginning mentioned didn't occur to me until like halfway through and then I didn't want to change.

Otherwise I'm probably just going to grab some Mishima because I really liked Confessions of a Mask and my university library has a lot of his stuff.

Dumas wrote a ton of poo poo. If you liked his style you can always pick up the D'Artagnan Romances and they'll keep you busy for a while.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

novamute posted:

Dumas wrote a ton of poo poo. If you liked his style you can always pick up the D'Artagnan Romances and they'll keep you busy for a while.

You have to be careful with Dumas because he didn't actually write a lot of the stuff published under his name - much like Tom Clancy, he had a stable of ghost writers helping him out. Some were decent writers but on the whole if you haven't heard if a given Dumas title before, there's likely a reason.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Also Twenty Years After is kinda bad.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I finally finished Atonement and man was it overhyped. Really bad pacing IMO and ultimately boring.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

blue squares posted:

I finally finished Atonement and man was it overhyped. Really bad pacing IMO and ultimately boring.

Atonement is in the same boat as Cold Mountain for me where its just so tearjerking and overearnest that it ultimately sacrifices its own literary merit.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

You have to be careful with Dumas because he didn't actually write a lot of the stuff published under his name - much like Tom Clancy, he had a stable of ghost writers helping him out.

speaking of which, I think someone forgot to tell Clancy's ghost writers that he has been dead for two years, because they keep coming out with new Tom Clancy books

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Earwicker posted:

speaking of which, I think someone forgot to tell Clancy's ghost writers that he has been dead for two years, because they keep coming out with new Tom Clancy books

Tom Clancy hasn't written a Tom Clancy book in 20 years so are you really surprised?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Atonement is in the same boat as Cold Mountain for me where its just so tearjerking and overearnest that it ultimately sacrifices its own literary merit.

And the little trick at the end where it reveals the lovers' fate was too cute for its own sake.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

blue squares posted:

And the little trick at the end where it reveals the lovers' fate was too cute for its own sake.

"It's about the redemptive power of fiction!" - a stupid poo poo

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Earwicker posted:

Well duh that's why they're ghost writers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

i read Castle of Crossed Destinies it was good and the end like 2 bits were really good but not as good as Invisible Cities on the whole IMO :am: