Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

NotWearingPants posted:

If Warren endorses anyone but Bernie she will lose a lot of credibility with the left and then what's the value of her endorsement?

Didn't she already endorse Hillary, or was that just a letter of support?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Gyges posted:

Didn't she already endorse Hillary, or was that just a letter of support?

Probably support, because the press also speculated she was endorsing Biden, because he showed up to her house.

Neurolimal posted:

Still not sure why you hate Bernie outside "he's a long-shot".

One way to make Hillary not look like a bomb in the general is to belittle her opposition.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Spaceman Future! posted:

This is why he needs a blimp

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
It's interesting how some people take the hatred of themselves for being bad posters as hatred for whoever they happen to support. Really makes you think.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

In a surprise move and the greatest political trolling manoeuvre ever, Trump will switch out his running mate during the last minutes of the election. Stepping up will be his long time personal friend ("he's the greatest"), Bill Clinton.

Immediately after the inauguration, Trump will step down from office due to personal reasons, granting William Jefferson Clinton the first third term as president in american history.

Always bet on Trump.

(I bet some of you googled if this was possible)

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

It's interesting how some people take the hatred of themselves for being bad posters as hatred for whoever they happen to support. Really makes you think.

Same way you come crawling out whenever somebody noticed Hillary farted?

Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

mcbexx posted:

In a surprise move and the greatest political trolling manoeuvre ever, Trump will switch out his running mate during the last minutes of the election. Stepping up will be his long time personal friend ("he's the greatest"), Bill Clinton.

Immediately after the inauguration, Trump will step down from office due to personal reasons, granting William Jefferson Clinton the first third term as president in american history.

Always bet on Trump.

(I bet some of you googled if this was possible)

FDR would like to have a word with you.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

maybe I will like him better if he has a blimp.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Spaceman Future! posted:

maybe I will like him better if he has a blimp.

Google Bernie Sanders.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Zelder posted:

Goddamn so I love race and Bernie chat. So many analyses of black people like were an alien species

Well for myself i grew up going to majority black public schools and lived in partially black lower middle class neighborhoods for most of my life and so theyre not so alien to me and i dont think they will vote for sanders in droves. Maybe the social activist inclined ones but they are not the majority. Theres gotta be a connection, and theyve gotta have fire. Most black people like the preacher model of speaker and public servant imo, a little bit of oomph to them. Bernie is whitebread. Hilary isnt much better though. So i think they sit this election out.

Neurolimal posted:

"Abstract beneficial policies" such as hiring a BLM activist to assist in writing a multi-page plan for social reforms, participating in civil rights' marches, giving out candid and direct pro-equality statements the moment he's asked, and relinquishing his spot in a rally for BLM activists to speak to the public (they did a p poo poo job but thats on them)?

I mean, white liberals aren't doing a fantastuc job of swaying black americans to Bernie, but i'd put lack of black support on "nobody knows who Bernie is yet" than "Bernie doesnt care about black people".

Maybe but personality/character is also important and the BLM stuff made him seem like someone people could walk over. Being president is not just about policy, its being the public face of a country and thats part of what people are voting for.

the worst thing is fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 24, 2015

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Tautologicus posted:

Well for myself i grew up going to majority black public schools and lived in partially black lower middle class neighborhoods for most of my life and so theyre not so alien to me and i dont think they will vote for sanders in droves. Maybe the social activist inclined ones but they are not the majority. Theres gotta be a connection, and theyve gotta have fire. Most black people like the preacher model of speaker and public servant imo, a little bit of oomph to them. Bernie is whitebread. Hilary isnt much better though. So i think they sit this election out.

Black voter participation is generally pretty high and I doubt that will change this election. Even in shitlord states with laws designed to suppress the vote with bullshit voter id laws black voters turn out strongly.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Black voter participation is generally pretty high and I doubt that will change this election.

I think you're mistaken, the widespread GOP voter suppression and poling place targeting is mainly because there are only 3 black voters but you never know where they will show up. Everyone else in day long lines is a hologram.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
So on my way into work this morning (I live in Colorado) I saw a Ford escape with not one but three (3) Ben Carson campaign stickers.

Sandwiched between 2x of:

Also featuring a Texas flag sticker with the word "SECEDE" printed in blue bold text. The license plate was a commemorative Vietnam Veteran special issue.

Driving past them, the driver and passenger was a late-60s white couple. Of course.

I wasn't aware that Ben Carson was able to draw enough support to ever see a bumper sticker for his campaign out in the wild, especially not in Colorado, but here we are.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
China dumb doodoo heads.

Told you, China bad.

Vote Trump 2016

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Black voter participation is generally pretty high and I doubt that will change this election. Even in shitlord states with laws designed to suppress the vote with bullshit voter id laws black voters turn out strongly.

Says here they lagged every other group until Obama

http://www.ssdan.net/sites/default/files/briefs/vtbrief.pdf

And that was pretty likely because of Obama.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Tautologicus posted:

When it comes to the national election, they'll probably come out if there's someone to drive the hype, otherwise, they may deign to show up at all. For the primaries, the BLM stuff itself is literally a non issue and for most low info voters, it's a sideshow. At the end of the day, it's public exposure which Hillary has in spades. Unless she says something obviously racist (all lives matter falls under the BLM thing) or obviously against their interests, they'll go to her over Bernie or just not show up.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Shageletic posted:

Then you're in luck!

She's been calling for a raise in taxes on hedge fund manageers since 2007.

Yes but the way Trump just phrased it is so much more palateable to the average american voter. You're not 'raising taxes' you're just swapping two different tax rates out: investors pay what workers pay and vice versa. Workers win out. I'd love to see the other campaigns adopt that particular phrasing because it's still a compact soundbite but it's a bajillion times more effective than what the left side of the spectrum has been saying.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Boosted_C5 posted:

The problem is she isn't also calling for slashing the hell out of the upper marginal income rates that are slaughtering main street and small business.

There is ZERO excuse for ANY tax rate at or above 30%.

The Democrats have had the power recently to alter tax policy and they used it to push up marginal income tax rates. They have ZERO credibility when it comes to making the tax code flatter and fairer and making wall-street pay its fair share so main street can enjoy lower rates.

The top income tax rate in 1952 was 91% and the average corporate tax rate was 52%, yet somehow the world didn't end. I would like you to explain why, please.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Tautologicus posted:

Says here they lagged every other group until Obama

http://www.ssdan.net/sites/default/files/briefs/vtbrief.pdf

And that was pretty likely because of Obama.

That pdf is awful. Black voters have consistently had greater turnout than any other minority demographic for a long time.

They lagged white turnout until Obama. White people generally turn out in greater numbers than any minority but black voters turn out way more than any other minority.

Here have a pdf that isn't poo poo https://www.census.gov/prod/2013pubs/p20-568.pdf

I could see it dropping a few points but it's still strong relative to other demographics.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 24, 2015

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alter Ego posted:

The top income tax rate in 1952 was 91% and the average corporate tax rate was 52%, yet somehow the world didn't end. I would like you to explain why, please.

Yes and no one ever paid at either of those rates in the way they do today. Income was taxed in brackets and there were a lot more deductions to take. Taxes were actually effectively lower overall during that time. I went down this same train of thought at one point

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Fat Ogre posted:

Watching Biden run would be loving hilarious. The Gun politics alone would gently caress him over every chance they could get.

Dude supported the original AWB and the failed one after Sandy Hook, gave terrible advice about firing warning shots where a dude cited him as his defense and still lost.

I'd just love to watch him explain his position on guns in a debate against Cruz, Paul or Trump. He'd come off like such a slimeball or utterly detatched from reality.

no one gives a poo poo about gun control except for single issue crazies like you

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Nuclearmonkee posted:

That pdf is awful. Black voters have consistently had greater turnout than any other minority demographic for a long time.

They lagged white turnout until Obama. White people generally turn out in greater numbers than any minority but black voters turn out way more than any other minority.

Here have a pdf that isn't poo poo https://www.census.gov/prod/2013pubs/p20-568.pdf

I could see it dropping a few points but it's still strong relative to other demographics.

Blacks were the largest minority until recently, how is it at all meaningful if they vote in larger numbers than asians or native americans or whoever. They are the group that had the most to lose from the system and largely still has the most to gain. Latinos just arent in the same situation (besides the illegals).

And those small percentage points matter given how politically fractured the country is, so if they vote proportionally even slightly less of the time that is significant. But yea theyre not at 20% or anything sure. Hell i didnt even vote last time, im not judging from up high. gently caress this system, Trump 2016

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Philthy posted:

China dumb doodoo heads.

Told you, China bad.

Vote Trump 2016

I thought his line was that China was super smart and taking advantage of America's dumb leaders?

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

HappyHippo posted:

I thought his line was that China was super smart and taking advantage of America's dumb leaders?

They did, by inflating their figures and market and getting greedy american investors to jump in with sacks of cash..that just ended today

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Goddamn ive got a GED and im schooling people on these forums all over the place

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Feather posted:

FDR would like to have a word with you.

Pshh, war times. That doesn't count.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

If this China crash turns into slowdown or even a recession it will be pretty good for both Trump and Sanders, although bad for the Democrats in the general.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Isn't there a thread I shitted up or something where you guys can talk and whitesplain to me about what it is to be black?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Veskit posted:

Isn't there a thread I shitted up or something where you guys can talk and whitesplain to me about what it is to be black?

yes the bernie vs hillary thread take all of that poo poo there.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think Bernie should go play the saxophone on Arsenio Hall, surely then the blacks will understand.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

yes the bernie vs hillary thread take all of that poo poo there.

Rather rude to call it poo poo :(

greatn posted:

I think Bernie should go play the saxophone on Arsenio Hall, surely then the blacks will understand.

:sigh:

This is my life.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Tautologicus posted:

Goddamn ive got a GED and im schooling people on these forums all over the place

They are called LEDs, lots of people have them. My entire house is LED bulbs.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Tautologicus posted:

Blacks were the largest minority until recently, how is it at all meaningful if they vote in larger numbers than asians or native americans or whoever. They are the group that had the most to lose from the system and largely still has the most to gain. Latinos just arent in the same situation (besides the illegals).

And those small percentage points matter given how politically fractured the country is, so if they vote proportionally even slightly less of the time that is significant. But yea theyre not at 20% or anything sure. Hell i didnt even vote last time, im not judging from up high. gently caress this system, Trump 2016

Please learn to read a graph. That is participation rate as a percentage.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Veskit posted:

Well i wouldnt do that, but i do think its harder to articulate what your own group of people does than it is another group that you can observe from outside. Not necessarily that everything would be 100% correct, but at least it would be articulated. Describing yourself vs another person is the same principle imo.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

greatn posted:

They are called LEDs, lots of people have them. My entire house is LED bulbs.

Nah i dropped out of high school the day i turned 16

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Politico comments lol

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/08/elizabeth-warren-reelection-2018-senate-run-121657.html

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Trump has done it again!

https://instagram.com/p/6xi2dEGhfn/

EVEN BARB HATES JEB

Okonner
Dec 11, 2008

by exmarx

a shameful boehner posted:

I wasn't aware that Ben Carson was able to draw enough support to ever see a bumper sticker for his campaign out in the wild, especially not in Colorado, but here we are.

The same Ben Carson who's been in the top 3 of several polls since the first debate? You should not be surprised by this.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Tautologicus posted:

Well i wouldnt do that, but i do think its harder to articulate what your own group of people does than it is another group that you can observe from outside. Not necessarily that everything would be 100% correct, but at least it would be articulated. Describing yourself vs another person is the same principle imo.

There's an entire thread to talk about this. It's right here! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3736857&pagenumber=24#lastpost If you post about race I'll respond, and a lot of people will get angry, but it's cool dw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Montasque posted:

Trump has done it again!

https://instagram.com/p/6xi2dEGhfn/

EVEN BARB HATES JEB

I was waiting for when this would come otu again

• Locked thread