Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Gwaihir posted:

This is the new "Printout of a web page scanned in to a PDF and insert in to a word document then attached to an email" and it's beautiful.

I can't actually quote the post because it's archived. buuuuut...

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3022717&userid=124874&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post390142721

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

whelp it's a good thing i'm not allowed to bring my gun to work.

Someone just sent me "a picture".

It was a word document that contained a scan of the back (lcd) of a digital camera while it displayed the pictures that were taken.

I may have to extract for humors sake.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Backpedaling...
it's not a scan but just a picture of the back of a camera displaying the picture that we need within a word doc that had been zipped up using winrar and saved as a .txt file somehow instead of a .doc

I extracted images from .txt file for you all to enjoy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

OwlFancier posted:

At least put a box over it or something, Christ.

Look at the bright side.

At least it's labeled.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

nexxai posted:

Wait, why the gently caress are VMs being stored on a USB drive?

It's cool, he has five of them and put them in raid, he even has a hotspare.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Didn't that get turned into a crochet of a 3D bar code?

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

I want to believe they at least software RAID 1 this.

I want to believe there is SOME sense of reason here.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Renegret posted:

Look at the bright side.

At least it's labeled.

True, and neatly so at that.

I just really hate USB sticks that stick out like that, because they're just asking for that lovely crunchy noise of despair when you realise you put something heavy down next to the laptop.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I have USB sticks like that connected to a server in a branch office. I keep software installs (IE AutoCAD install files) on it because they don't want to buy more server storage.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is that loving mario paint?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

OwlFancier posted:

Is that loving mario paint?

pasted into an excel file...

I need an adult

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Lightning Jim posted:

RAID 0 :getin:

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
A client has four dead drives in one of their Promise arrays which is a Bad Thing. I'm trying to work with my PC to get him replacement drives but the PC wants him to try to force the drives back online first (the array is already rebuilding to the spares). He wants the client to do this because he found a Promise article about how sometimes drives are marked as dead after a power failure or an incorrect boot sequence....neither of which happened. So the client is left with multiple dead drives while I go back and forth with the PC.

Non technical people trying to advise on technical matters drives me up a loving wall. This is a constant issue with this particular PC who has a tendency to forget things, tell clients (and other techs) incorrect information and be an obstinate jackass in general. Apparently it's been brought up to upper management before and they've said they're "working on it".

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

I just really hate USB sticks that stick out like that, because they're just asking for that lovely crunchy noise of despair when you realise you put something heavy down next to the laptop.

Our desktops guys would end up calling in a Dell tech to come and replace a motherboard about once a week because of this. People would put the little logitech wireless keyboard/mouse receiver or a small thumb drive in, forget about it and then toss their laptops in the car seat, backpack,etc and jam the usb drive in breaking the port and on at least one occasion causing the motherboard to short.

Which also reminds me of one of my favorite stories from that past job. We had a director who broker her laptop like that. She was headed out of country for some important meeting and she was a director so we got her a new laptop and said we'd handle any offline storage transfer when she got back. Comes back and she spills coffee all over her new laptop. So we send that in to get replaced under the accidental coverage warranty and give her her old one back. She keeps having weird issues with it so we call in another warranty repair on it.

The poor Dell tech pops it open (it was a newer Latitiude 7000 something with the small flat internal battery) and he brings me over and says "look at all of this corrosion here", like something had spilled on it. There was a bunch of blue and white mold, fungus, corrosion, whatever all over everything inside. So I ask the user is she knows what could've happened and she denies everything. So we end up getting a replacement for that, I chalked it up to condensation from leaving it outside in the car during winter or something.

Finally when the replacement arrives and shes all set up she comes clean. She was incredibly embarrassed about destroying two new laptops and finally admits that her new puppy peed all over the second laptop. She was afraid to say anything so she just tried to let it dry out and then wiped off the outside case with some wetwipes and tried to soldier on. The Dell guy never knew he was touching moldy dog pee, the poor poor soul. I felt bad for those outsourced Dell techs before, but I felt even worse for that poor bastard.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

totalnewbie posted:

Didn't that get turned into a crochet of a 3D bar code?
I think it was turned into a QR code, then built in minecraft then crocheted.

uncurable mlady posted:

:coolbert:
opened the .mpq in notepad, screenshot pasted into word, snipping tool sent image to outlook, opened email in IE, printscreen IE, scan to pdf attachment back to email, open email on cell phone, picture of screen taken with blackberry

"Captain Capacitor" posted:

Here's a daytime version.

then there was a bunch of poo poo with MS tags, ASCII QR codes, morse code, etc...
I'd post all of it but we just had an intern show up.
My boss is supposed to task him with stuff, but boss is not here... The intern is here for 2 days. I cannot think of a single thing that we could use a highschool kid for in the next 2 days that doesn't require constant supervision.

Bonus hilarity:

CommanderApaul posted:

Picked up this this morning. Screenshot of our patient orders system, printed out, scanned in as a pdf, printed again, then hand-annotated and captioned, faxed, scanned again as a PDF, emailed to the Asst Director of Pharmacy, then forwarded to me. To go along with that, the Asst Director is the one who called me, who was called by the second person in line who annotated the PDF, who was called a manager in the pharmacy who took the original screenshot, who was called by the pharmacy tech who originally had the problem entering the order.

And of course he couldn't give me any information other than what's in the screenshot. So glad it's Friday.

edit: gently caress here's one better:

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 24, 2015

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Lightning Jim posted:

look into your heart

it'll be raid 0

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

My boss is supposed to task him with stuff, but boss is not here... The intern is here for 2 days. I cannot think of a single thing that we could use a highschool kid for in the next 2 days that doesn't require constant supervision.

Thing's I'd use free labour with questionable competence for:
- Sorting network cables by length
- Drawing a map of the office with patch panel port numbers labeled
- Making a list of users that still use VGA or PS/2
- Destroying 6 months backlog worth of hard drives

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
A ticket came in...

A student's laptop wasn't connecting to the internet.

Zscaler (our web filter) was blocking chrome. Which is actually an adware that somehow made it's way onto the image we use. That I imaged 150 computers with. Manually. That someone else is going to have to deal with because I leave at the end of the week :smug:

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

spankmeister posted:

look into your heart

it'll be raid 0

Actually, my heart believes there's no RAID at all, just 2 drives. Even a RAID 0 would have had some thought put into it.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Lightning Jim posted:

Actually, my heart believes there's no RAID at all, just 2 drives. Even a RAID 0 would have had some thought put into it.

Basically this. They are just two standalone 64GB thumb drives.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

peak debt posted:

Thing's I'd use free labour with questionable competence for:
- Sorting network cables by length
- Drawing a map of the office with patch panel port numbers labeled
- Making a list of users that still use VGA or PS/2

cables are sorted and every hdd has been dban'd by our last intern.
the ports have all been identified (and phone).
the only thing I think I can use him for is sorting through stuff to be disposed, which still requires boss' approval of each and every single individual loving item.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Gwaihir posted:

This is the new "Printout of a web page scanned in to a PDF and insert in to a word document then attached to an email" and it's beautiful.
FCoE on a PPPoE link on an ATM based MPLS network... :unsmigghh:

How much can we torture the OSI model?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

peak debt posted:

How can you possibly have difficulty finding someone to sanitise hard drives? Unless you got to do it to printers I can't think of any more cathartic job.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

the only thing I think I can use him for is sorting through stuff to be disposed, which still requires boss' approval of each and every single individual loving item.

gently caress it, hand him a box of cable, a box of heads, some crimpers and some cable testers. Have him cut you 10/20 foot cables till his time is up.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Rhymenoserous posted:

gently caress it, hand him a box of cable, a box of heads, some crimpers and some cable testers. Have him cut you 10/20 foot cables till his time is up.

I might have him pull the batteries out of hosed batt backups.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Do you have any dry cleaning that needs picking up?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If he's doing like, school work experience or something then I would think he'd just be glad to observe. When I did work ex at a primary school I got stuck in an office photocopying end of year reports until I got high off the ozone.

Just about anything that lets you take busted electronics to bits would be more fun I would think.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

If he's doing like, school work experience or something then I would think he'd just be glad to observe.

"Now watch me browse these forums for a few hours"

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

"Now watch me browse these forums for a few hours"

We don't want them to know what work is ACTUALLY like. Just some idealized version of what he thinks it SHOULD be like.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

ChubbyThePhat posted:

We don't want them to know what work is ACTUALLY like.

All the printers are broken.

Here's a cart full of paper. Go fix the printers.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

True, and neatly so at that.

Like what happened to my bottle opener drive like two days after getting it.

:smith:

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

People who let keys dangle off the end of thumbdrives plugged into the front of desktops are monsters.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

nexxai posted:

Your response is the perfect explanation of "just because you can doesn't mean you should".

Yes, technically, we can run a VM on a USB 1.0 zip drive - that doesn't make it any less of a completely loving stupid idea.

That reminds me of a company that was our customer back in my sysadmin days. They had a pretty good USB tapedrive, but for some reason we had to schedule the start of backups earlier in the afternoon each time to make sure they completed before 9 AM, resulting eventually in backups starting at 5:30 PM and finishing at like 8:45 AM. Put it down to a fluke in some settings for further analysis when we went on-site for other maintenance tasks.

When I went to test their backups I noticed that the system was terribly slow with reading out and restoring. Turned out their relatively new Dell server only had USB1 ports, no USB2 port to be found anywhere on it. This was in like 2008/2009 too.

Of course they were too cheap to invest in either an internal tapedrive or at least a USB2 PCI card, so we just kept it at that and hoped their dataset wouldn't keep growing too much.

And another client we took over had dual external HDs for their backups, with one set for every day of the week(10 drives, neatly labeled with days of the week, all the same brand and model of consumer HDD) They just swapped them out in the morning by unplugging them from USB and power, then plugging in the new set. By the time we got there, half the drives had either died or gone corrupt, no backup logging or testing had ever taken place, just a Windows Backup task. Forgot to swap out the drives? Then the previous day's backup was just gone, since they were all new full backups, no incrementals. They were stored on-site in a metal desk cabinet. Sold 'em a tapedrive and some actual good backup software, no issues since.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Client puts in a ticket saying he can't get a machine connected to the SAN even though he's run our setup script and the metadata network is active! The implication here being that our script must be wrong.

I remote in and take look. The system can't see the LUNs since the fibre doesn't look to be plugged in. :eng99:

It's totally our script buddy. Can't have anything to do with you didn't plug the fibre in.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Boogalo posted:

People who let keys dangle off the end of thumbdrives plugged into the front of desktops are monsters.

:ohdear:

(It helps me not forget that I've plugged it in somewhere...)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Sirotan posted:

Presumably that is not very heavy, whereas a set of keys is much more so. :)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think that's permissible, when people do it with keychains with twenty rings and the keys to the garden shed it's less forgivable.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Sirotan posted:

Where'd you get that little octopus dude?

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

everythingWasBees posted:

Sirotan, you need to get a namechange to "little octopus dude" now, we in #bofh have deemed it necessary.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

everythingWasBees posted:

She's clearly a seal

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Ha! Look at this guy with his Outlook 2007 setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Boogalo posted:

Incidentally, the opposite case holds true as well. My mechanic got on my case for leaving my car key on my carabiner when I started my car up; apparently it doesn't take a whole lot of added weight to gently caress up your ignition system.

• Locked thread