Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Countblanc posted:

sorry that you think adding slopes is going to suddenly turn nintendo's countless michelangelos and warhols into mindless sheeple i guess.

lmao what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

VideoGames posted:

because we're not making full mario games. we're making levels.

Actually you can make full 4 level worlds in SMB1 style, though even if you couldn't it'd still be cool to be able to create unavoidable enemy encounters. Whilst I can think of ways to possibly work around the current limitations (having to wait for a moving platform to arrive inside a boss room in order to leave it for instance) there's no reason you couldn't build a scenario like that anyway even if a win item existed, except then you'd have even more possibilities

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

Countblanc posted:

sorry that you think adding slopes is going to suddenly turn nintendo's countless michelangelos and warhols into mindless sheeple i guess.

It's a shame SMM won't allow Mario to make giant leaps like this one

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Actually you can make full 4 level worlds in SMB1 style, though even if you couldn't it'd still be cool to be able to create unavoidable enemy encounters. Whilst I can think of ways to possibly work around the current limitations (having to wait for a moving platform to arrive inside a boss room in order to leave it for instance) there's no reason you couldn't build a scenario like that anyway even if a win item existed, except then you'd have even more possibilities

you can, but the idea is you make levels and then each person plays the random 100 levels challenge which grabs stuff. itd be weird to have a boss level in 1-3 or something.

sure they could have boss level flags but again the way this game has been advertised is a level maker. not a full mario game maker. the big draw here is the random level challenges thing. that appears to be what they wanted to create for the public.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The only mechanical thing I'd like to see would be some simple on-interaction trigger tool, like "when this item is killed/used, this item appears/disappears". Then you could have walls that vanish after killing a boss or pipes that only appear when you hit a series of blocks in the right order or whatever

But that seems to go against the visual nature of the level design toolset as it currently exists, where everything is just made to be understood as an individual 'toy' you can stick into the level or glue to other 'toys' to get weird interactions, so i can't blame them for avoiding any logic-based tools

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Metroid guy used those time delay falling donuts to prevent people from skipping the boss

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

blablablabla posted:

Metroid guy used those time delay falling donuts to prevent people from skipping the boss

that only works if the boss moves around enough to force people out of the corner like that though. it wouldn't work for everything. but it is a clever solution

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

VideoGames posted:

you can, but the idea is you make levels and then each person plays the random 100 levels challenge which grabs stuff. itd be weird to have a boss level in 1-3 or something.

sure they could have boss level flags but again the way this game has been advertised is a level maker. not a full mario game maker. the big draw here is the random level challenges thing. that appears to be what they wanted to create for the public.

I don't see why they couldn't coexist. They have a manual level search by popularity/uploader/most played too so the system is obviously built for methods of play other than random disconnected levels through the 100 life challenge. I'm not sure why you're insistent the full priced retail release title needs to pidgeonhole itself so much, I look forward to building short SMB3-style levels for the X-life challenges and longer exploration based levels in the create-a-world mode

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Doesn't seem like much to program a enemy to drop something like a p-switch. Slopes would be nice and an angry sun + desert motiff would help me make my retelling of the second Iraq war level a lot easier.
That said these things seem pretty trivial compared to all the things you could do at launch.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

A Steampunk Gent posted:

So how do creatively handle a boss level? Right now there's nothing in place just to stop you walking past them to the exit, that seems more like it's enforcing a single method than encouraging original level designs
I get where you're coming from, but none of the main things people are clamouring for are straws that would break the camel's back, they're core functionality that have been part of the series for decades

So people have the choice to either run past or fight the boss, and you think that's forcing them to only beat it in a certain way?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I don't see why they couldn't coexist. They have a manual level search by popularity/uploader/most played too so the system is obviously built for methods of play other than random disconnected levels through the 100 life challenge. I'm not sure why you're insistent the full priced retail release title needs to pidgeonhole itself so much, I look forward to building short SMB3-style levels for the X-life challenges and longer exploration based levels in the create-a-world mode

im not insistent on anything pidgeon holing anything. im saying what this game is apparently designed to be.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Booourns posted:

So people have the choice to either run past or fight the boss, and you think that's forcing them to only beat it in a certain way?

Bypassing a challenge isn't the same as beating one, unless you liked flying over the entirety of most of the levels in SMB3 and SMW. So yes I do think if you design something in a game to be overcome it shouldn't be able to be trivially ignored

VideoGames posted:

im not insistent on anything pidgeon holing anything. im saying what this game is apparently designed to be.

I'm not sure if we're just talking past each other at this point but this game does have a create-a-world mode and several boss enemies so it was evidently designed to be more than random Mario level program :confused:

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Bosses have always been the weakest part of Mario games so I don't care that we can't make bosses

PandaCookies
Mar 19, 2009

Delicious endangered confection!
I think bosses, and checkpoints aren't really the point. It's supposed to be a small experience each level. Although I guess Nintendo doesn't need anybody to fight for them. I'm just sayin' I've already preorder and am very excited for this game. I ain't even care about none of that stuff!

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Saying "limitations breed creativity" is dumb as gently caress in this context when the entire point of the game is to be a big open sandbox for players to make Mario levels.

The point of content creator games like this isn't to "challenge" the content creator into being creative with a narrow set of creation tools, it's the opposite. You give the person access to as much poo poo as possible in order for them to be able to figure out how they can creatively impose their own limitations on themselves when designing. That's where the fun comes from with these games. "I'm going to make an interesting level using only bricks" "I'm going to make an interesting level that is fun to play but doesn't have any 'ground' you can stand on at all" or "I'm going to make a level that constantly keeps Mario invincible but must still be challenging and fun" and so on.

I'm having a hard time understanding what's so hard to grasp about this idea. Maybe it's that in that case, the amount of fun you can have would be proportionate to how creative you are, which is a lot to ask of a lot of people who play video games I know.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

GreatGreen posted:

Saying "limitations breed creativity" is dumb as gently caress in this context when the entire point of the game is to be a big open sandbox for players to make Mario levels.

The point of content creator games like this isn't to "challenge" the content creator into being creative with a narrow set of creation tools, it's the opposite. You give the person access to as much poo poo as possible in order for them to be able to figure out how they can creatively impose their own limitations on themselves when designing. That's where the fun comes from with these games. "I'm going to make an interesting level using only bricks" "I'm going to make an interesting level that is fun to play but doesn't have any 'ground' you can stand on at all" or "I'm going to make a level that constantly keeps Mario invincible but must still be challenging and fun" and so on.

I'm having a hard time understanding what's so hard to grasp about this idea. Maybe it's that in that case, the amount of fun you can have would be proportionate to how creative you are, which is a lot to ask of a lot of people who play video games I know.

Lol

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

GreatGreen posted:

lmao

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sb3UFp7HajQ

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
that was a long post

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

My biggest issue with this game is it's somehow going to have to share gaming with MGS5. Why did the two hypest releases of the year have to come a week apart?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Remember, remember the 11th of September

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

this commercial is cool and i hope it gets a lot of kids excited about making their own mario levels

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

A Steampunk Gent posted:

My biggest issue with this game is it's somehow going to have to share gaming with MGS5. Why did the two hypest releases of the year have to come a week apart?

Because Konami doesn't have the balls Nintendo has to launch a game in 9/11

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Its a tough life for us

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I've been watching a lot of videos and streams for Mario Maker recently, and I'm getting really annoyed that nobody bothers to try and show off all the weird combinations you can do with different items and enemies. I remember one video where the guy was going through a level and there was a Kuribo's shoe with wings. Mario looks at the shoe and then turns right the gently caress around and continues on his merry way. What does the winged shoe do? Why would you not just take the extra second to jump in the drat thing and show it off? I'm more interested in how everything changes when you attach wings to it or what you can put in a lakitu than the same level everyone else shows off that isn't even going to be on the sever when the game is officially released.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
The biggest thing I got from watching some youtube videos and streams is that people don't seem to know poo poo about the Mario games. One youtuber never used the run button. Then you have streams from gaming web sites where no one seems to know the basic rules of the game such as standing next to a pipe or bullet bill blaster stops anything from coming out of it. They kept dying for stupid reasons and complaining that levels were poorly designed. No, you just suck at Mario.

What kind of levels is everyone planning on making? I kind of want to start out by trying to make some levels that feel like they could be an authentic missing world from SMB (overworld, underground, athletic level with moving platforms, and a castle). I was looking at maps of the levels from SMB and SMB3 last night and was amazed at how short and simple most of them look. I figure then I'll take a shot at a tricky SMW ghost house with plenty of doors and P-switch shenanigans. Then go all out crazy with the tools making challenging or just ridiculous courses.

PandaCookies
Mar 19, 2009

Come November anyway it won't matter because everyone is going to be talking about Fallout 4 non-stop for 24 hours a day =\

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'll be very upset if the people in the Super Mario Maker and Wii U threads are only talking about Fallout 4, that's for sure

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I won't because Bethesda games are buggy and broken 90% of the time and I don't care enough about fallout to deal with it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
witcher 3 has replaced other rpgs, especially bethesda ones

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

GI_Clutch posted:

The biggest thing I got from watching some youtube videos and streams is that people don't seem to know poo poo about the Mario games. One youtuber never used the run button. Then you have streams from gaming web sites where no one seems to know the basic rules of the game such as standing next to a pipe or bullet bill blaster stops anything from coming out of it. They kept dying for stupid reasons and complaining that levels were poorly designed. No, you just suck at Mario.

It's really bizarre how many people there are that play videogames for the internet but are completely incompetent at Mario games, especially since they're mechanically pretty simple compared to any given flavor of the month game they have to pump out videos for.

PandaCookies
Mar 19, 2009

Motto posted:

It's really bizarre how many people there are that play videogames for the internet but are completely incompetent at Mario games, especially since they're mechanically pretty simple compared to any given flavor of the month game they have to pump out videos for.

I find this really weird too. I have some younger friends that can't play a 2D mario game for poo poo, but they can play a 3D mario game. Although those people mostly play Minecraft and Call of Duty and aren't really my friends.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

PandaCookies posted:

Come November anyway it won't matter because everyone is going to be talking about Fallout 4 non-stop for 24 hours a day =\

why would i bother with fallout4 when GOTY forever, Super Mario Maker, is in my wiiu being used?

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.

There's a lot to unpack, here. I dunno, w.r.t. limitations, it all kind of clicked with me when somebody brought up how it wouldn't actually be fun if Mega Man could shoot up. Made me think of how boring Half-Life was when I put noclip on. Designing/playing around a limitation does make a more cohesive end product imo.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

zfleeman posted:

There's a lot to unpack, here. I dunno, w.r.t. limitations, it all kind of clicked with me when somebody brought up how it wouldn't actually be fun if Mega Man could shoot up. Made me think of how boring Half-Life was when I put noclip on. Designing/playing around a limitation does make a more cohesive end product imo.

I think the root of the issue is the things people are missing are things which have already been in numerous games, Mega Man has never been able to shoot up so people don't expect him to be able to, but Mario has been able to slide down slopes since SMB3 so not going able to sticks out far more

VideoGames posted:

why would i bother with fallout4 when GOTY forever, Super Mario Maker, is in my wiiu being used?

We agree on one thing :cheers:

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Will I be able to make a SMW themed version of Fallout 4 with the limited tools at my disposal in this upcoming video game?

Will I be able to make Mario Maker in Fallout 4 with the modding tools Bethesda will be releasing?

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Wake me up when Bethesda makes a non poo poo leveling system

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

zfleeman posted:

Counterpoint: Mega Man 2's Metal Blades being most folks' first pickup when they play through that particular game, for the very purpose of being able to fire in any direction, especially up.

For my part, I'm actually pretty okay with the omissions in the toolset so far. For what it's worth, the only romhack Mario game I've ever played to "completion" is Super Mario Bros 3Mix and it is for this reason that I'm actually curious to see what people do with the limitations.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I wish this game was already out, I've seen too many videos and really want to play. Great move by Nintendo getting all the review copies out so early to get everyone hyped. At least I'm finally finishing Super Luigi U.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
3mix is really good and everyone should play it.

• Locked thread