Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Screaming Idiot posted:

Gravity Beetle's theme is one of the few really good songs in MMX3, but I've yet to hear a remix that isn't loving awful. Has there ever been a good rock remix of it? All I've heard is the lovely mind-numbing raver generic techno crap that OCremix turns practically every VG theme into.

The only mixes of it I've liked have been FM Synth ones (Genesis sound chip).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

His "pick up and toss Mega Man X with his head pincers" attack is likely based on an actual thing stag beetles do

Is there an explanation for why he can teleport too?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

You've never seen stag beetles teleport?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Tengames posted:

That is also an actual thing stag beetles do.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Tengames posted:

Beetles teleport all the drat time, dude. How else do you think they evade their foes? Not every enemy can be killed by tossing them around or hitting them with spheres of super-dense graviton clusters! It's like you never paid attention to your entomology classes. I bet you're probably going to ask about how hornets shoot bombs next, or whether or not rhinos can burrow.

(The answer is yes, rhinos can burrow, they are the world's greatest burrowing mammals.)

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

The only mixes of it I've liked have been FM Synth ones (Genesis sound chip).

Aw, that's a shame. :( Gravity Beetle and the opening stage in MMX2 are amazing songs that have never been improved, and that makes me sad.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Screaming Idiot posted:

Gravity Beetle's theme is one of the few really good songs in MMX3, but I've yet to hear a remix that isn't loving awful. Has there ever been a good rock remix of it? All I've heard is the lovely mind-numbing raver generic techno crap that OCremix turns practically every VG theme into.

Here's one

Here's another one

Also, here's a medley (give it 45 seconds to get going) from Dwelling of Duels, which is kind of like OCRemix but way more metal.

A good poster fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Aug 23, 2015

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Tengames posted:

The fact that he is fast. Nothing to do with being a beetle. He is just really fast.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Please.

Kabuto is not the stag beetle in that show, Gattack is. Kabuto is a rhinoceros beetle.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I couldn't find a good video of Gattack clocking up and showing off the teleporting effect. :saddowns:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Any remixes by Breis will be pretty good.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

It's.. It's real fun guys. We aren't wrong.

X3 isn't good. I'm sorry, but somebody had to tell you one of these days.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

A good poster posted:

Here's one

Here's another one

Also, here's a medley (give it 45 seconds to get going) from Dwelling of Duels, which is kind of like OCRemix but way more metal.

Oh, nice! You are a good poster!

Merry Deciever
Aug 20, 2015
Pillbug
So a friend sent me a link to this recently, and I had to try it out.
http://store.steampowered.com/video/322110/2035814
It's Early Access, so a mound of salt and all that, but I was able to co-op it,
and it was fun, even if bosses could get taken down in a minute flat. Something
to keep an eye on anyway.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Scissors Shrimper Crush Crawfish is the best X3 maverick.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Blackheart posted:

Scissors Shrimper Crush Crawfish is the best X3 maverick.

Pfft, Blast Hornet says hi. :colbert:

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Merry Deciever posted:

So a friend sent me a link to this recently, and I had to try it out.
http://store.steampowered.com/video/322110/2035814
It's Early Access, so a mound of salt and all that, but I was able to co-op it,
and it was fun, even if bosses could get taken down in a minute flat. Something
to keep an eye on anyway.

I was going to say the level design looked kind of iffy, but then I saw it mentioned it's got a Roguelike thing going on where it generates them and they look pretty good from that standpoint. Might be worth checking out.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Legacy Collection will be on Steam Tuesday

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM
Why do people dislike X3 again? I had always liked it for the many secret upgrades and the Vile side stage.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Stages are full of bizarrely empty stretchs, the songs have an unpleasant grungy tone, bosses looooove ramming the walls, weapons are kind of awkward. Not judging the silly story, a silly story is still better than the torrent of incomprehensible nonsense that followed in the psx era.

A lot of it really felt to me like it wasn't quite done cooking yet.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Hexmage-SA posted:

Why do people dislike X3 again? I had always liked it for the many secret upgrades and the Vile side stage.

I love X3, but I am a rare breed apparently.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
X3's upgraded buster felt awkward to use, and the Ride Armors felt more or less useless. Zero was a great novelty, but he honestly wasn't as fun as X to play.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Screaming Idiot posted:

Zero was a great novelty, but he honestly wasn't as fun as X to play.

He wasn't great until X4, I'll agree there.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Agreed. It was cool playing as the guy every X fan -- and Inafune, apparently -- idolized since the first game, though. And he was overpowered compared to basic X, although as X got more upgrades he outpaced Zero in every way, which is what they were going for. I didn't care for Zero feeling sluggish compared to X, though; X's mobility is what makes makes the series different than classic Megaman.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Screaming Idiot posted:

but he honestly wasn't as fun as X to play.

He wasn't really meant to be. In X3 he's more of an early-game crutch/desperation throw, which is why his use is so limited. Though I always thought it was funny how when X4 came out he suddenly gained his now-iconic saber prowess when up to that point he was just like X aside from having a single slashing animation, and in trade his buster nailed his feel to the ground.

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM
If they ever make a new X game I hope they use and expand upon the character switching mechanic. I wouldn't mind seeing tag assists like in Marvel vs Capcom.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Hexmage-SA posted:

If they ever make a new X game I hope they use and expand upon the character switching mechanic. I wouldn't mind seeing tag assists like in Marvel vs Capcom.

Good news, competitive Marvel 3 IS a Megaman X game!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

I would buy a box of that.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

Hexmage-SA posted:

Boring boss design, bad music, lots of flat level design. It's not terrible, it's still a SNES MMX game which means it's still great. It's just not nearly as good as X/X2.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I think X3's problems are mainly that the Dust Buster upgrade is awkward to use and fires such a slow shot, you only ever use each ride armor type once at the most, and X becomes a loving demigod by the end of the game. I really don't know why I like it the most out of the others, I really don't. At least it's not as bloated with items as X8.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I think almost all of the X3 upgrades were kinda awkward in a way. Everyone has talked about the buster, but I could never get a hang of the up dash because of the delay at the start and the helmet was useless and just made replaying the regular stages annoying since it has stop you to bring up a map which you can't bring up ever again unless you restart the stage.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

The big 3 flaws for me (and many others, it seems) are the music (although it feels more like the instruments or whatever), the excess of boss patterns that just dash wall to wall, and above all else, the loving horrible X-Buster upgrade I hate that drat thing.

It's still a decent game and worth replaying.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Blackheart posted:

The big 3 flaws for me (and many others, it seems) are the music (although it feels more like the instruments or whatever), the excess of boss patterns that just dash wall to wall, and above all else, the loving horrible X-Buster upgrade I hate that drat thing.

Should have been a Genesis game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnAh_x79Vok

arcsig
May 29, 2015

Yeah, that's what I thought too when I played it recently. The MIDI guitars used in X3 sound pretty bad, some badass Genesis FM guitars might have fixed all of the music's problems.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Fun fact about the SNES: it doesn't have its own MIDI synthesizer. Music you hear from an SNES was probably sampled.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
You know, I'm surprised there aren't any romhacks of NES Mega Man games that add the charge shot and slide. You know what MM1 and 2 really need? Charging and sliding.

They have made plenty of endless mode hacks though, which is cool and I can totally dig.

Also, 9 and 10. You'd think it would be as easy as swapping Mega Man and Protoman's sprites in gecko.

This image is making my PTSD kick in.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Gammatron 64 posted:

This image is making my PTSD kick in.

Then I guess this won't help much. :kheldragar:

(It's actually a really nice touch, shame it's PxZ.)

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!
Hi, Legacy Collection comes out tomorrow, or tonight at 9pm Pacific if you're playing it on Steam.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
My problem with X3 is how little choice you have if you're going for a 100% run. Bit/Byte/Vile have to be taken down with very specific weapons, meaning you have to prioritize those bosses or risk screwing up the whole run. It's not like X2, where you could do things in whatever crazy order you felt like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Then I guess this won't help much. :kheldragar:

(It's actually a really nice touch, shame it's PxZ.)

It really is a nice touch that they did that.

I have the original project x zone and as much as I love me some Capcom franchises, I have trouble stomaching that. Not my kinda game.

Mega Man is my favorite game series, but drat Street Fighter and Darkstalkers are loving up there.

I think the reason people get so pissy about Capcom these days is because back in the 90's, Capcom was THE poo poo. Capcom's collection of video game characters are second only to Nintendo.It's the Star Wars effect.