Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

So just gotta come in here to brag about a trade I just made in my keeper dynasty auction league. $300 salary cap. One of the guys in my league said he desperately needed running backs and was willing to make a trade. I offered him Carlos Hyde ($3) for JJ Watt ($19). After much negotiating, I ended up essentially trading Carlos Hyde($3) and Megatron ($81) for Steve Smith ($4) and JJ Watt ($19). I was going to cut Megatron anyway, because his contract is too much, but he actually netted me an extra player.

The commissioner was just telling me that it looks like everyone is keeping most of their big salary players, and I have about $200 in cap space to grab all the rookies. I'm hoping someone cuts Jordy so I can stash him later, but regardless, if the cap plays out the way it looks like it is going to, I am going to end up having a majority of the top rookie RB's, WR's and Mariota.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Is that for Steve Smith SR or Steve Smith? :smug: Also, just grab Winston too if you have a ton of roster spots, you never really know and he COULD be REAL good, outside shot at that though.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

RVProfootballer posted:

I mean, you were asking whether you should drop a team's WR1 who is a fantasy WR3 or so, for a 37 year old moving to a new team where he'll likely be the fifth or sixth option in the passing game, at beat. I don't know if there is like anyone I would drop for Reggie Wayne, haha.

I was being sincere when I said thanks. That being said Reggie Wayne had more catches and more yards than Kendall Wright last year so it isn't completely asinine.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
The only thing Janis can do is run a fly route and then sometimes body catch it. It would be bizarre to pick him up for fantasy unless you love picking up a guy who went from WR5 to WR4.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Sataere posted:

So just gotta come in here to brag about a trade I just made in my keeper dynasty auction league. $300 salary cap. One of the guys in my league said he desperately needed running backs and was willing to make a trade. I offered him Carlos Hyde ($3) for JJ Watt ($19). After much negotiating, I ended up essentially trading Carlos Hyde($3) and Megatron ($81) for Steve Smith ($4) and JJ Watt ($19). I was going to cut Megatron anyway, because his contract is too much, but he actually netted me an extra player.

The commissioner was just telling me that it looks like everyone is keeping most of their big salary players, and I have about $200 in cap space to grab all the rookies. I'm hoping someone cuts Jordy so I can stash him later, but regardless, if the cap plays out the way it looks like it is going to, I am going to end up having a majority of the top rookie RB's, WR's and Mariota.

I must be missing something, because trading Megatron and Hyde for JJ Watt and Steve Smith sounds like a terrible deal. I've never done an auction league though so I guess the value is trading away a player who costs a lot so you can now have more to spend on the next draft?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Michael Corleone posted:

Is that for Steve Smith SR or Steve Smith? :smug: Also, just grab Winston too if you have a ton of roster spots, you never really know and he COULD be REAL good, outside shot at that though.

I won't grab him because I think he is a piece of poo poo. Also, I already have Rodgers, Bridgewater and Carr. Four quarterbacks is more than enough. I posted my roster a few pages back. It is almost exclusively players in the first three years of the league and their contracts are structured in such a way that I can hold onto them for their entire careers at minimum cost. I was a bit sad to trade Megatron, because I was planning on bidding for him again and hoping to lower his cost. But JJ Watt is the truth and the positional value he gives me is awesome.

RCarr posted:

I must be missing something, because trading Megatron and Hyde for JJ Watt and Steve Smith sounds like a terrible deal. I've never done an auction league though so I guess the value is trading away a player who costs a lot so you can now have more to spend on the next draft?

It is a long term move. Salaries increase 10% every year the first three years. 20% the 4th year. 50% the fifth year. He is almost 1/3 of my cap, so I couldn't keep him without hamstringing myself. Instead, I flipped him and got the best defensive end in football for a cheap contract. Remember that I said this is a dynasty league, so I can hold these guys forever at the right price. Megatron is the wrong side of 30 and I now have almost $200 going into my auction draft in a very talented rookie pool.

(Note, I love Megatron and think his current ADP in redraft is a bargain. I just don't believe in spending a 1/3rd of my salary cap on one player.)

Sataere fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 24, 2015

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Yep. Value is king in auction keepers. And with talent diluted from the pool, auction prices will be sky high for top of the line players, then back to normalish, you can still get deals though.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

kiimo posted:

I was being sincere when I said thanks. That being said Reggie Wayne had more catches and more yards than Kendall Wright last year so it isn't completely asinine.

Last year Wright had locker clipboard jesus and mett throwing him the ball

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
"Salaries increase 10% every year the first three years. 20% the 4th year. 50% the fifth year. "

Sounds like a pretty cool league, so to understand this, if a player is 10 in year 4 he goes for 15 in year five, right? Then what happens after that? I am being serious, I am trying to structure my league in a 'dynasty' format, but no one is going to do that, so 4 keepers, and 8 bench in a 10 team league will cut it to 6 if we reach 12 which we will, it was supposed to be ten, but it just took off in less than an hour. Also 2 IR slots, may half that if we go to 12, IDK, thinking about it, I don't think I would. Also, got 2 Co-Coms so if anything has to be done manually it won't be that hard.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
So in a draft this weekend, people went TE crazy and left me with Josh Hill. Any chance Rodgers is a better option there?

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
I like Josh Hill in mocks when I just wait for D, K, and TE for last 3 picks, don't know what I will do when it is for real.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

Ben Nevis posted:

So in a draft this weekend, people went TE crazy and left me with Josh Hill. Any chance Rodgers is a better option there?

How crazy? Is Rodgers the best option out there? Did any of Walker, Eifert, or Owen Daniels go undrafted?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Speaking of Daniels. It seems like he's criminally undervalued. Didn't he have a decent year on the Texans last year? Peyton has always liked his TE's.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Michael Corleone posted:

Yep. Value is king in auction keepers. And with talent diluted from the pool, auction prices will be sky high for top of the line players, then back to normalish, you can still get deals though.

Last year, we reset our league and started from scratch. You should've seen how mad people were getting at me, because I was the only guy who went in with the strategy of grabbing a couple of high cost players to get me going and then just not drafting anyone until people spent most of their money. Then I just targeted rookies and second year players for $1 or $2. Nobody was able to bid more than $2 because they had spent all their money. We will see if they've learned their lesson this year. Two weeks today, I plan on having a starting lineup of the following, with nobody costing more than $10. Gonna brag about some of my keepers from last year.

Aaron Rodgers -- $55
Jeremy Hill -- $3
Chris Ivory -- $3
Kelvin Benjamin -- $15 (He will be on IR, but still great value)
Jordan Matthews -- $2
Coby Fleener -- $2
Allen Robinson - $5
Tyler Eifert -- $5
Eric Ebron - $3
Kyle Rudolph -- $3
Teddy Bridgewater - $2
Derek Carr - $3
Christine Michael -$3 (I still hold out hope)

By targetting Coleman, Abdullah, and Gurley , I could have a beast of an RB core
At receiver, I'm owning Cooper and damned the cost, and Agholar should be nice. Kevin White's injury could also be a blessing in disguise, as he can just sit on IR for me.
Throw in Mariota for good measure, and I could just be a monster for the next ten years.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Gobias Ind. posted:

How crazy? Is Rodgers the best option out there? Did any of Walker, Eifert, or Owen Daniels go undrafted?

All gone. Daniels in particular went super early to a guy citing Daniels as being great under Kubiak in Houston.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

EDIT: ^^^^^^ That guy is right.

Michael Corleone posted:

"Salaries increase 10% every year the first three years. 20% the 4th year. 50% the fifth year. "

Sounds like a pretty cool league, so to understand this, if a player is 10 in year 4 he goes for 15 in year five, right? Then what happens after that? I am being serious, I am trying to structure my league in a 'dynasty' format, but no one is going to do that, so 4 keepers, and 8 bench in a 10 team league will cut it to 6 if we reach 12 which we will, it was supposed to be ten, but it just took off in less than an hour. Also 2 IR slots, may half that if we go to 12, IDK, thinking about it, I don't think I would. Also, got 2 Co-Coms so if anything has to be done manually it won't be that hard.

It is a pain to keep track of, but you have it right. I grabbed players with that logic. My players under $10 all just go up a $1 for the next three years. We haven't determined what will happen at year 5 yet. I suspect we will start doing 100%, when people start getting mad at me for destroying them. But once that happens, I already have a new rookie pool to cut those pesky $20 players. :v:

RCarr posted:

Speaking of Daniels. It seems like he's criminally undervalued. Didn't he have a decent year on the Texans last year? Peyton has always liked his TE's.

He absolutely is. Of course, he'll probably get hurt anyway.

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

Ben Nevis posted:

He can't be worse. Hill has been a sub package TE only so far in preseason. Ben Watson has looked like he'll out snap Hill the whole way.

Are Eifert, Ebron, or ASJ available? I'd just carry two long shot TE1s and drop whoever doesn't produce.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Who do you think would be better suited to spend time on my bench waiting for an injury, Ronnie Hilman at Denver or Matt Jones at Washington?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Hillman.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
Idk where all of this hillman hype is coming from.... Anderson is the only back worth owning in Denver baring injury.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

kiimo posted:

Oh yeah, no worries. On second though I just wanted to give a tiny bit of reasoning behind my simple "nope" :)

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Papes posted:

Idk where all of this hillman hype is coming from.... Anderson is the only back worth owning in Denver baring injury.

Anderson isn't that great either and both will probably run well in a Kubiak offense. Hillman should produce if Anderson goes down, while Matt Jones has to contend with a lovely o-line, lovely qb, and lovely WRs.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

Doltos posted:

Anderson isn't that great either and both will probably run well in a Kubiak offense. Hillman should produce if Anderson goes down, while Matt Jones has to contend with a lovely o-line, lovely qb, and lovely WRs.

Anderson was actually one of the highest rated running backs by pff last season.... while hillman and ball graded out horribly

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sataere posted:

:laugh:

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Papes posted:

Hillman is a much better option than Matt Jones. The guy who asked even specifically said who would you rather stash while waiting for an injury. I'm a confident owner of CJ Anderson, and it's still a no-brainer.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Papes posted:

Anderson was actually one of the highest rated running backs by pff last season.... while hillman and ball graded out horribly

So was Zac Stacy two years ago. You have to look at context behind stats.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Plus I keep reading disturbing things where Matt Jones needs to mentally prepare to run hard or some poo poo.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Zac Stacy sucked though? Anderson had a like a 8 game stretch as a top NFL running back.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

RCarr posted:

Zac Stacy sucked though? Anderson had a like a 8 game stretch as a top NFL running back.

Zac Stacy is now fighting for a spot on the Jets roster, behind Chris Ivory and Stevan Ridley. There's little to suggest he'll make it.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Ayudo posted:

He can't be worse. Hill has been a sub package TE only so far in preseason. Ben Watson has looked like he'll out snap Hill the whole way.

Are Eifert, Ebron, or ASJ available? I'd just carry two long shot TE1s and drop whoever doesn't produce.

Donnell as well.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

Doltos posted:

So was Zac Stacy two years ago. You have to look at context behind stats.

Zac Stacy's only relevant fantasy season was his rookie year so I'm not sure what you're getting at honestly.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
You guys keep mentioning Zac Stacy's name and it is starting to get hurtful. I took great pride in being the goon who gave him the "Neck Stacy" nom de guerre before he sunk my season the following year.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Look I'm not saying CJ Anderson is bad in any way. I'm pondering that if CJ were to be out Hillman would be the guy and he'd be more valuable than Matt Jones who is big and fast and apparently awful somehow.

quote:

During full-contact practices during training camp, Jones hasn’t generated the yards after contact that coaches know he is capable of producing. At times, he has gotten stopped in the backfield, and other times after minimal gains.

It’s not a strength issue, however. It’s mental.

That is something I find disturbing.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Zac Stacy is now fighting for a spot on the Jets roster, behind Chris Ivory and Stevan Ridley. There's little to suggest he'll make it.

This was pretty much what I was saying.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
:facepalm: I'm not saying Zac Stacy is a fantasy relevant RB this year, I'm saying lots of RBs have topped statistics in the past and crashed and burned the next year.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

Neither hillman or jones are startable players unless an injury happens.

In the event of injuries Hillman would be the safer option as he is in a much better offense. Matt Jones provides more upside though as he would get goal line carries that hillman probably wouldn't in addition to being the lead back.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Hand Row posted:

The only thing Janis can do is run a fly route and then sometimes body catch it. It would be bizarre to pick him up for fantasy unless you love picking up a guy who went from WR5 to WR4.

I'm hearing rumblings that Ty Montgomery is above him anyway, and the only reason why Janis is even in consideration, is because he's been playing Jordy's spot with the 2s

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

Doltos posted:

:facepalm: I'm not saying Zac Stacy is a fantasy relevant RB this year, I'm saying lots of RBs have topped statistics in the past and crashed and burned the next year.

Zac Stacy graded out poorly because he was an inefficient volume runner though?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Sataere posted:

He's getting outplayed by a UDFA rookie and Seattle probably isn't keeping 4 RBs. The dream is dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Papes posted:

Zac Stacy graded out poorly because he was an inefficient volume runner though?

That's all well and good but PFF even made a loving article about how great Zac Stacy's stats were rookie year (but did concede he ended on a down note).

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/05/29/secret-superstars-2014-rams/

• Locked thread