Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Mzbundifund posted:

T...there's five death quests? I am awful at minecraft and I only got to three. I have been ordering things from the supplier whenever I want and not particularly attempting to grind reputation, and I have 750 mission outlook. How does this even happen?

It's really easy to get to -60 if you're just grinding the supplier on cooldown, then make no attempt to complete any quests.

From there is just 9 deaths and you lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I added a friend to our group after we were a few hours in, and he was sitting in the corner quietly with a quest book, I assumed just reading it, then he said "hey wow I can just keep completing these quests"

I stopped him just in time, another 30 seconds and he probably would have made us lose hahaha, he used like 250 reputation in a less than a minute

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Ciaphas posted:

Botania question. I know dropping stuff from an open crate with a redstone signal on it stops flowers from picking them up for about ten seconds, but is there any way to selectively delay the pickup?

I was thinking about how to automatically farm and replant potatoes (and later automatically cook them). I figure a drum breaks the potatoes (on a long timer), rannuncarpus picks up as many as needed to replant and leaves the rest, hopperhock stuffs the remainder into an inventory after a short delay. Haven't tried it yet, though.

Rannucarpus can't plant crops. A dispenser can, however. (botania specific feature to vanilla dispensers)

Typically how you automate that is with the corporea network and a lot of funnels. However, if you haven't been to the End yet, you can't do this.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Come to think of it, I only really knew about reputation from reading up on HQM editing and putting together the book for BFSR. I chose not to use it because I wanted to shove the next components they needed for proceeding under their noses as quest rewards. I don't know if HQM really set up the reputation system to work that way or not. The fact that requesting stuff is a "quest" is confusing in itself, but HQM isn't giving an alternative.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I made a decent amount of progress on a new blightfall world, added a couple people to my party, and now a bunch of quests are just... gone. Every scout quest has disappeared except ore caches, over half the geologist quests are gone, the colonist quests are gone, etc. Even several quests that I had completed have disappeared. Using /hqm edit even didn't reveal them. Is there some file I can delete and replace to reset our progress and then just cheat it back with the book?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Taffer posted:

I made a decent amount of progress on a new blightfall world, added a couple people to my party, and now a bunch of quests are just... gone. Every scout quest has disappeared except ore caches, over half the geologist quests are gone, the colonist quests are gone, etc. Even several quests that I had completed have disappeared. Using /hqm edit even didn't reveal them. Is there some file I can delete and replace to reset our progress and then just cheat it back with the book?

I guess you could wipe out players.dat in the world file and restart the server. This wipes all quest progress for everyone, though, if that's a problem.

This happens I believe if you join a party of someone who's registered for a different biodome than you. If you set up quests to show up if you've completed one of a group of quests and the others you haven't completed are supposed to be invisible, it bugs out if you're marked as completing two of them and won't let you continue.

If this is the case, you might want to wipe one of your customnpc player files, too, since the player in question will be marked as belonging to their biodome in customnpc's too. This isn't a huge deal (if they get to the correct biodome, it will be available as a teleport location and so will their "original" one) but if it bothers you & you want to make them go manually grab their original biodome, you'll wanna wipe out their player file in customnpc's. Luckily it's not in one giant heap of bytes because customnpc's is not a catastrophe.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

30.5 Days posted:

I guess you could wipe out players.dat in the world file and restart the server. This wipes all quest progress for everyone, though, if that's a problem.

This happens I believe if you join a party of someone who's registered for a different biodome than you. If you set up quests to show up if you've completed one of a group of quests and the others you haven't completed are supposed to be invisible, it bugs out if you're marked as completing two of them and won't let you continue.

If this is the case, you might want to wipe one of your customnpc player files, too, since the player in question will be marked as belonging to their biodome in customnpc's too. This isn't a huge deal (if they get to the correct biodome, it will be available as a teleport location and so will their "original" one) but if it bothers you & you want to make them go manually grab their original biodome, you'll wanna wipe out their player file in customnpc's. Luckily it's not in one giant heap of bytes because customnpc's is not a catastrophe.

Thanks for the help, unfortunately there is no players.dat file in the world folder. Unless you mean deleting the player files in playerdata. Is that where the quest progress is stored?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
If I'm a weirdo who actually likes vanilla minecraft rain sound, can I just go into my Blightfall mod folder and rename the two betterrain jars to .jar.bak and they won't be active anymore or is it more complicated?

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Ambaire posted:

If I'm a weirdo who actually likes vanilla minecraft rain sound, can I just go into my Blightfall mod folder and rename the two betterrain jars to .jar.bak and they won't be active anymore or is it more complicated?

Yeah that'll work

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Taffer posted:

Thanks for the help, unfortunately there is no players.dat file in the world folder. Unless you mean deleting the player files in playerdata. Is that where the quest progress is stored?

I think it's in world/hardcorequesting. There's some kind of player file in there.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

Botania question. I know dropping stuff from an open crate with a redstone signal on it stops flowers from picking them up for about ten seconds, but is there any way to selectively delay the pickup?

I was thinking about how to automatically farm and replant potatoes (and later automatically cook them). I figure a drum breaks the potatoes (on a long timer), rannuncarpus picks up as many as needed to replant and leaves the rest, hopperhock stuffs the remainder into an inventory after a short delay. Haven't tried it yet, though.

Can't you just... use golems? Or a harvester/planter setup?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Clairetic posted:

Watching people play games badly is like NTR.

Meaning what, exactly? 'Cuz I googled NTR, aaaaand apparently it's some kind of anime cuckolding fetish.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

30.5 Days posted:

I think it's in world/hardcorequesting. There's some kind of player file in there.

Ah, that was obvious. That worked, thanks! Had to redo all our quest progress with the edit book so we have quite a bit of extra reputation since deaths were forgotten, but I can live with that.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Anyone have any idea how much mana a gourymallis will produce from a loaf of toast? I'm curious whether the RF output from a tree farm or a wheat farm (of equal size) would be better - you could do golem harvest and gather, autocraft it with a mortar and pestle, then smelt it twice in an infernal furnace before feeding it to a gourymallis.

Alternately you could have a barley field powering victus for a breeding lamp with a butcher golem, feed the steak to a furnace, feed gourymallis with steak. For the extremely ambitious, automate olive oil production and the super steak meal that's like 7 pips of hunger. This would probably be the best food based power production if harvestcraft trees are compatible with golems

Magres fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 24, 2015

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Magres posted:

Anyone have any idea how much mana a gourymallis will produce from a loaf of toast? I'm curious whether the RF output from a tree farm or a wheat farm (of equal size) would be better - you could do golem harvest and gather, autocraft it with a mortar and pestle, then smelt it twice in an infernal furnace before feeding it to a gourymallis.

Alternately you could have a barley field powering victus for a breeding lamp with a butcher golem, feed the steak to a furnace, feed gourymallis with steak. For the extremely ambitious, automate olive oil production and the super steak meal that's like 7 pips of hunger.

one of the gimmicks of botania is that none of the numbers are supposed to be available, so this is pretty hard to answer without digging through the botania source code

the steak idea works well, though use botania's eye of the ancients (comparator out the back, signal 15 into the side, lead out the front) and a dreadthorne (invert lead, connect to this) so you don't slaughter yourself down to only 2 cows

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
Is it possible to build a mob farm in Blightfall? I haven't seen a hostile mob spawn once since I've started, even in dark areas clear of taint.

e: and if not how am I supposed to get poo poo like spider eyes and ender pearls? Just request random mobs until I get lucky, and repeat until I have enough? That seems like a lot of reputation.

Steelion fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 24, 2015

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Steelion posted:

Is it possible to build a mob farm in Blightfall? I haven't seen a hostile mob spawn once since I've started, even in dark areas clear of taint.

e: and if not how am I supposed to get poo poo like spider eyes and ender pearls? Just request random mobs until I get lucky till I have enough?

hostile mobs don't spawn on taint, just cure a goodly area then build a mob tower as normal

alternatively if you can scrounge up a division sigil from the world somewhere you could probably use that to make cursed earth

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Magres posted:

Alternately you could have a barley field powering victus for a breeding lamp with a butcher golem, feed the steak to a furnace, feed gourymallis with steak. For the extremely ambitious, automate olive oil production and the super steak meal that's like 7 pips of hunger. This would probably be the best food based power production if harvestcraft trees are compatible with golems

Does the Gourmaryllis suffer from Spice of Life :v:

Glory of Arioch posted:

one of the gimmicks of botania is that none of the numbers are supposed to be available, so this is pretty hard to answer without digging through the botania source code

SOURCE CODE DIGGING INCOMING

Gourmaryllis' produce mana equal to the square of the half-ham hocks they eat, times 64. So a four ham-hock food earns 4096 mana, (eight half-ham hocks = 8^2x64 = 4096) each while a one half ham-hock cookie produces 1^2x64 = 64 mana.

For comparison, a single Endoflame produces 30 mana per second, and produces mana for half as long as the usual cook time of the fuel it ate. So a piece of charcoal which normally burns for 1600 ticks, would burn for 800 ticks, and produce 1200 mana.

20 ticks per second, 800 ticks, 30 mana per second, = 40 seconds = 1200 mana.

So yes, a properly fed Gourmaryllis is immensely more profitable than an endoflame, at the cost of being somewhat trickier to automate without wasting food. I recommend an automagy magical hourglass to get your drop times precise.

For comparison, a Kekimurus produces 1800 mana per cake slice, so one cake produces 10,800 mana. Could be easier to manage, especially if you have an MFR rancher for auto-milking and a collection of chickens near a hopperhock.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Glory of Arioch posted:

the steak idea works well, though use botania's eye of the ancients (comparator out the back, signal 15 into the side, lead out the front) and a dreadthorne (invert lead, connect to this) so you don't slaughter yourself down to only 2 cows

Awe jeeze, now I want to do this instead of the potato farm. I even already have two cows, I could totally do this with that breeding plant and a wheat farm (lord knows the wheat would go a long way).

I need to figure out how vanilla comparators work though. Vanilla redstone mechanics and movement confuses the hell out of me. :(

(edit) Then again, it'll take an awful lot of cows to get the same throughput as my baked potatoes...

McFrugal posted:

Can't you just... use golems? Or a harvester/planter setup?

Nope! Playing Botania Garden of Glass.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009

Glory of Arioch posted:

hostile mobs don't spawn on taint, just cure a goodly area then build a mob tower as normal

alternatively if you can scrounge up a division sigil from the world somewhere you could probably use that to make cursed earth

Something must be wrong then, otherwise I'd by up to my armpits in poo poo. Almost everything outside the dome looks like this, and the only light sources are ethereal blooms or otherwise glowing things:

and I've literally never seen anything spawn except animals, occasionally.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Nothing's wrong, unless you consider thaumcraft tainted mob mechanics to be wrong. Tainted mobs don't despawn easily, and since they don't die out during the day, they tend to fill up all the hostile mob slots in an area and never leave space for vanilla stuff. In order to see vanilla stuff you have to clean out an area big enough to both have valid spawning terrain the appropriate number of blocks from you, be unlit, not be in a tainted land biome, and have there be available spawn slots for hostile mobs.

Passive mobs have a different cap, so that's why you see friendly animals showing up.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Glory of Arioch or other botania experts I'm dumb and need your help :(

That Dreadthorne should be deactivated by the redstone going into it, right? But when I spawn a cow in the fenced area, it gets gibbed. What do? :(

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ciaphas posted:

Glory of Arioch or other botania experts I'm dumb and need your help :(

That Dreadthorne should be deactivated by the redstone going into it, right? But when I spawn a cow in the fenced area, it gets gibbed. What do? :(

You're missing the static signal strength 15 lead going into the side of the comparator. Without that, the eye will output a signal when there are any animals nearby.

When you give a comparator a signal on its side, it tells it to compare what's being generated by the back to the side, and to only output when the back signal is greater than or equal to the side signal. By giving it a full strength signal (use a torch and one piece of dust between them; torches only give indirect power) you make it so the signal only occurs when there are 16 or more animals.

The way your lead is going out of the torch might be incorrect, too. Make sure it's a straight lead pointing directly into the flower, no bends. You can also use a repeater with the business end pointed at the flower, or even put a piece of dirt on top of that torch, then plant the dreadthorne on top of that. (redstone torches power blocks strongly above them)

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Steelion posted:

Something must be wrong then, otherwise I'd by up to my armpits in poo poo. Almost everything outside the dome looks like this, and the only light sources are ethereal blooms or otherwise glowing things:

and I've literally never seen anything spawn except animals, occasionally.

You haven't cleared a big enough area. Bats spawn in cleared out dark underground areas, which then fly around in the taint and turn into thaumslimes, which hog the mob slots. You will on rare occasion get some hostile mobs, but they tend to just spawn underground since there's more area there to spawn. Tainted creepers will also be created then, which hog the mob slots too! You have to clear out a fairly large area AND kill all the tainted animals near you on the surface. It helps to clear out the taintacles and swarmers too, but I think taintacles will spawn randomly on their own, and swarmers will pop up again in large enough piles of crusted taint after a while of there being none there.

The quickest way to get hostile mob drops is to find spawners. Dungeons or burial mounds (I know there's at least one in the world) for zombies and skeletons, mineshafts for cave spiders, Sinister nodes for furious zombies (brains and rotten flesh galore).

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

for furious zombies (brains and rotten flesh galore).

bottling a sinister node and moving it into a pain factory sounds like a great idea

do they only spawn zombies at night or is it light level based

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
So basically I have to kill all the tainted critters, track down the slimes that are clogging the caves (which I need to find first) and then keep all the passive mobs e: and bats :suicide:)that spawn in the cleared ground (using a different cap) from wandering off and turning into more tainted critters.

Welp.

e: rotten flesh and bones aren't the things I want more of, really I just want endermen (and blazes, but christ I'm not looking forward to trying to clear off the volcano.)

Steelion fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 24, 2015

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Glory of Arioch posted:

bottling a sinister node and moving it into a pain factory sounds like a great idea

I think it might even be player proximity...

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Glory of Arioch posted:

You're missing the static signal strength 15 lead going into the side of the comparator. Without that, the eye will output a signal when there are any animals nearby.

When you give a comparator a signal on its side, it tells it to compare what's being generated by the back to the side, and to only output when the back signal is greater than or equal to the side signal. By giving it a full strength signal (use a torch and one piece of dust between them; torches only give indirect power) you make it so the signal only occurs when there are 16 or more animals.

The way your lead is going out of the torch might be incorrect, too. Make sure it's a straight lead pointing directly into the flower, no bends. You can also use a repeater with the business end pointed at the flower, or even put a piece of dirt on top of that torch, then plant the dreadthorne on top of that. (redstone torches power blocks strongly above them)

It had to be a straight line into the flower, yeah.

Now I've got a new problem: the dreadthorne randomly decides it's going to stop slaughtering, even when it doesn't appear to have a redstone signal going in, and it has plenty of mana:

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Steelion posted:

So basically I have to kill all the tainted critters, track down the slimes that are clogging the caves (which I need to find first) and then keep all the passive mobs e: and bats :suicide:)that spawn in the cleared ground (using a different cap) from wandering off and turning into more tainted critters.

Welp.

e: rotten flesh and bones aren't the things I want more of, really I just want endermen (and blazes, but christ I'm not looking forward to trying to clear off the volcano.)

Slimes will die on their own when out of a tainted biome, so you can just keep cleaning and they will reduce in number. You don't actually need to kill endermen to get ender pearls. The ender pearl requisition quest will open up on its own eventually as you clear quests (not sure which), and so will the blaze rod and ghast tear quests. Also there are ender lily seeds in a chest somewhere, go find them!

Glory of Arioch posted:

I think it's just light level. Also, you have to be near it, like any other spawner. I think Botania has something that keeps a spawner active at all times.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
I have ender lilies, even with ender cores under them they take forever to grow, and requisitioning ender pearls every time I want to make enderium, or spark augments, or terrasteel, or anything else gets expensive fast. Guess I should get to work setting up a bread factory.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ciaphas posted:

It had to be a straight line into the flower, yeah.

Now I've got a new problem: the dreadthorne randomly decides it's going to stop slaughtering, even when it doesn't appear to have a redstone signal going in, and it has plenty of mana:

That's a strange one. The only thing I can think of is some other signal nearby maybe shutting off the dreadthorne?

Also try just a regular lead into the dreadthorne instead of a comparator. This SHOULDN'T be the problem, but might as well try.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I've only noticed hostile non-thaum mobs spawning near my massively cleared out area back when I had a silverwood grow with a pure node and started changing the biome. Only around it would the usual Vanilla guys appear and as soon as I lit the tree up they stopped appearing.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

McFrugal posted:

Slimes will die on their own when out of a tainted biome, so you can just keep cleaning and they will reduce in number. You don't actually need to kill endermen to get ender pearls. The ender pearl requisition quest will open up on its own eventually as you clear quests (not sure which), and so will the blaze rod and ghast tear quests. Also there are ender lily seeds in a chest somewhere, go find them!

I think it's just light level. Also, you have to be near it, like any other spawner. I think Botania has something that keeps a spawner active at all times.

The animal requisition quest also returns endermen, but for obvious reason it's usually a pain in the neck to actually kill them.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
That's when you net 'em and start spawning them for your own gains, using xp essence grinded off of Cursed Earth or Thaumcraft necromancy.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Glory of Arioch posted:

That's a strange one. The only thing I can think of is some other signal nearby maybe shutting off the dreadthorne?

Also try just a regular lead into the dreadthorne instead of a comparator. This SHOULDN'T be the problem, but might as well try.

Yeah, it seemed to be the comparator. Soon as I replaced that with a line, it started working.

Vanilla redstone sucks :(

edit nope it stopped working, wtf

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Or add EnderIO for the sword. :D (And every other goodie it brings)

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

McFrugal posted:

You haven't cleared a big enough area. Bats spawn in cleared out dark underground areas, which then fly around in the taint and turn into thaumslimes, which hog the mob slots. You will on rare occasion get some hostile mobs, but they tend to just spawn underground since there's more area there to spawn. Tainted creepers will also be created then, which hog the mob slots too! You have to clear out a fairly large area AND kill all the tainted animals near you on the surface. It helps to clear out the taintacles and swarmers too, but I think taintacles will spawn randomly on their own, and swarmers will pop up again in large enough piles of crusted taint after a while of there being none there.

The quickest way to get hostile mob drops is to find spawners. Dungeons or burial mounds (I know there's at least one in the world) for zombies and skeletons, mineshafts for cave spiders, Sinister nodes for furious zombies (brains and rotten flesh galore).

There are a number of zombie spawners and/or eerie nodes that spawn furious zombies on the island with the obsidian tower. For the former, look for the weird hill on the island that isn't the meteorite that has a small clear path on it and dig down; for the eerie nodes, look for the obsidian totems that are in clear patches, it's them and they'll poo poo out zombies at night.

Steelion posted:

Welp.

One of the thaumcraft obsidian shrines towards the southern part of the mountain range dead east of biodome alpha has 5 ender lily seeds in it. I can't recall the exact location but it's between the marble shrine and the summit waypoints somewhere.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ciaphas posted:

Yeah, it seemed to be the comparator. Soon as I replaced that with a line, it started working.

Vanilla redstone sucks :(

edit nope it stopped working, wtf

hrm double check its mana and make sure it is connected to a mana pool (wear a manaseer's monocle for this I think)

the way botania flowers work now is they bind to a block location and if the pool moves, they don't try to connect to a different one

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Yeah, it's a creative pool.

I picked up the flower, planted it away from everything (but still close enough to bind to the pool) and it still didn't kill anything for like five minutes. Then it started again, so I picked it up, put it back in the circuit, and it started acting as expected.

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

President Ark posted:

Alternately, just set your base up in the tower. You've got a nice flat space on top for farming and a ton of big empty floors for all your machines and magic poo poo. It being enclosed also makes it safe and the grass being isolated means the chances of an animal getting tainted by accident and eating your other animals is really, really low.

Yeah, I live in the giant satanic tower, what of it? :devil:

Did you just live with those blood splotches or did you find a way to destroy them? You can't place blocks on them, pickaxes don't seem to do anything, and my excavation focus just goes right through the dang things. Are they indestructible?