Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Why do white people always want to add poo poo to guacamole? IMO simpler is better totally applies to guac.

It's particularly bad here in New England, where people often add loving sour cream to guac, which is just so very wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I dunno, pea/avocado/lime/cilantro/tomato/onion/garlic dip sounds pretty tasty.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Yeah, but that point, does it really need any 'cado?

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Squashy Nipples posted:

It's particularly bad here in New England, where people often add loving sour cream to guac, which is just so very wrong.

That doesn't seem that starange to me. It's a fairly common occurence in Swedish guacamole recipies. It's the tragic result of having to deal with a poor supply of ripe and cheap avocados.

As for peas in guacamole, are we sure it's not some perverse British attempt at rebranding their sad mushy peas?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
How much are avocados there? Here in Australia they are at least $1 ea in their short season unless some cyclone has wiped out the crops in the north, (which happens every other year). So you may as well price them at $2 ea.

^ That's a lot of words to say I never have bought an avocado.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Aug 24, 2015

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

They are getting more expensive because of the drought in California.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Avocados are $3-4 each here. RIP me.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Avocados are $3-4 each here. RIP me.

59 cents a few weeks ago

:911: Aldi :911:

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
My friends and I broke down a whole pig last weekend, and I came away with one of the hocks. Freezing it for Soup Season (not quite there yet), but I figured I’d plan ahead, and that one of you guys would have a good recipe, white bean or otherwise.

Thanks guys :respek:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Real Name Grover posted:

My friends and I broke down a whole pig last weekend, and I came away with one of the hocks. Freezing it for Soup Season (not quite there yet), but I figured I’d plan ahead, and that one of you guys would have a good recipe, white bean or otherwise.

Thanks guys :respek:

Ham hock and split pea soup tastes like my childhood

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Alighieri posted:

Not sure if anyone can recall this recipe, but it was a Sloppy Joe recipe posted about 4-5 years ago that I failed to save/print out. I think it was part of an ICSA or an old thread about sloppy joes. From what I recall the most distinct part of the recipe was simmering all the ingredients for 2-3 hours after combining them all together. It was a rather sweet tasting recipe, but searching the forums turns up nothing and the wiki doesnt have it.

Found it:

1 lb. ground beef, browned
1/2 tbsp sugar
1/2 tbsp honey
8-9 oz ketchup
2 tbsp dried onion
1 tbsp spicy brown mustard
1 tbsp vinegar

Combine all and simmer for 1-3 hours

As basic as it gets.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

DekeThornton posted:

Swedish guacamole

The restaurants I worked at would always cut their guac with cucumbers or lettuce. Shredded iceberg lettuce is like....hair in your guacamole.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Well. I think Stockholm is a pretty fantastic food city in many ways, but Mexican food sure as hell is not our area of expertise. It has improved the past four or five years, but it's still very far from good, sadly.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Plus_Infinity posted:

I have a giant mixing bowl full of the most beautiful jalapeños from my garden. What can I do with them? Are there any jalapeño based hot sauces I could make that would be good?

I made cornbread with jalapeño last night but that only used up 3 and I have about 50 left!

You could probably make a decent Jalapeno hot sauce. All you really need are the peppers, Garlic, vinegar (white is fine, Apple Cider would work too), a little salt, and a blender. Here's a basic recipe http://jalapenomadness.com/recipe_jalapeno_hot_sauce.html. That calls for 20 peppers and makes about 4 cups if I'm guessing right.

Otherwise Poppers are not a bad choice. Slice jalapenos in half lengthwise and seed them. Stuff with softened cream cheese or a mix of cream cheese and shredded cheddar. They can either be breaded/battered and fried or wrapped in bacon and baked or probably grilled.

I suppose you could do a kind of mini Chile Rellenos. Cut open the peppers, but don't slice all the way through. Remove the seeds and ribs, stuff with shredded Monterey Jack, and coat in an egg white batter. Pan Fry and serve on top of red salsa. But getting in the pepper without breaking it into pieces might be more trouble than it's worth.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Squashy Nipples posted:

Why do white people always want to add poo poo to guacamole? IMO simpler is better totally applies to guac.

Latest issue of Food & Wine has Enrique Olvera's pea guacamole on the cover. He's pretty Mexican. Rick Bayless may not be Mexican, but he knows the food better than most. He's added grilled ramps and garlic chives, roasted tomatillos, crispy bacon, strawberries, sesame seeds, blackberries, corn, watermelon, tequila, ginger, pickled cauliflower, roasted fennel, grapefruit, apples, almonds, chicharrónes, brown butter, porcini mushrooms and even crab.

Adding little things to a guac and having them pop is great. (I typically will use toasted pepitas for that. ) It's like adding capers to a remoulade, olives in a nicoise or raisins in your oatmeal. Enough to spark interest in the taste buds, not too many to obscure the hero. Which in a guac is the Avocado. I can see peas working nicely.

Sour cream though? Never. Seems utterly pointless to me.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Cavenagh posted:

Sour cream though? Never. Seems utterly pointless to me.

I don't Think anyone adds sour cream because it provides something extra. It's a way to make a lot of guacamole out of too little avocado, like adding bark to your bread after a bad harvest.

Edit: At least it's not this popular and wonderful tex mex style dip, formerly known as guacamole until some fascist regulators decided that Guacamole has to contain more avocado than salt if it's to be called guacamole.

DekeThornton fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 24, 2015

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You can make an even more peaful guac by replaceing the avas with chickpeas and olive oil too.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I think some of the Mexican restaurants around here add sour cream to their guac. It's so light green and smooth, it's loving creepy.

Does anyone know what's up with the Mexican places that have been popping up? They claim to have different owners but they are all the exact same when it comes to the inside of the joint and the food. Same basic food, disgusting margarita mix, and they have some obscene furniture:

Is it like Chinese restaurants where they all get their food from the same 1-2 distributors, so they end up with the same calendars and menus and poo poo?

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Squashy Nipples posted:

Found it:

1 lb. ground beef, browned
1/2 tbsp sugar
1/2 tbsp honey
8-9 oz ketchup
2 tbsp dried onion
1 tbsp spicy brown mustard
1 tbsp vinegar

Combine all and simmer for 1-3 hours

As basic as it gets.

Thanks, will be cooking this week sometime.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Wookums posted:

You can make an even more peaful guac by replaceing the avas with chickpeas and olive oil too.

I do just that, but add a good helping of tahini too. That's good guac.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Bob Morales posted:

I think some of the Mexican restaurants around here add sour cream to their guac. It's so light green and smooth, it's loving creepy.

Does anyone know what's up with the Mexican places that have been popping up? They claim to have different owners but they are all the exact same when it comes to the inside of the joint and the food. Same basic food, disgusting margarita mix, and they have some obscene furniture:

Is it like Chinese restaurants where they all get their food from the same 1-2 distributors, so they end up with the same calendars and menus and poo poo?

I recently ate at the worst loving Mexican place I've ever visited, had possibly the worst meal I've ever had, and it looked like that decor-wise. If this is a nationwide thing I'm horrified.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

guppy posted:

I recently ate at the worst loving Mexican place I've ever visited, had possibly the worst meal I've ever had, and it looked like that decor-wise. If this is a nationwide thing I'm horrified.

There's a Mexican family in my hometown that owns half a dozen such places; last I checked, most don't even have more traditional fare on the menu. Gotta appeal to the gringos who don't know any better.

Yep, I'd personally prefer that to white beans. Thanks!

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Real Name Grover posted:

There's a Mexican family in my hometown that owns half a dozen such places; last I checked, most don't even have more traditional fare on the menu. Gotta appeal to the gringos who don't know any better.

I'll bet you it's just a food distributor, sort of how you can buy everything you need to run a generic "Chinese Food" joint from the one place.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
My grandmother gave me a bread maker because I always have trouble getting it right that and pizza dough. I don;t think I did it right, are these things supposed to shake and wobble all over? I also made the mistake of thinking 3:15 meant 3 minutes and 15 seconds I thought that was a short time for bread but figured it's a machine that does it for me. Nope 3 hours and 15 minutes. I'm gonna be up for a while.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 25, 2015

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Anyone have a good double-crust steak and kidney pie recipe? I have a craving and couple pounds of kidney in the fridge.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Butch Cassidy posted:

Anyone have a good double-crust steak and kidney pie recipe? I have a craving and couple pounds of kidney in the fridge.

I like Marco Pierre White's version. Does take time to cook and cool the elements, but it's worth it. The recipe I have is for Steak & Kidney Pudding, but the filling can be used with shortcrust pastry.

For the filling:

Preheat oven to 170C / 340F.

Brown Oxtail or Chuck or Shin. Any tough cheap fatty cut that takes long time to cook, preferably on the bone. It's not a grilling steak cut that's called for, but a braising cut. .
Add 2 Carrots, 3 Celery, 2 Leeks, 2 Onions (all peeled and roughly chopped) and 1/2 a Garlic bulb.
Cover meat and veg with hot Beef stock and a bottle of wine (Stout or Brown Ale also works). Add a couple of bay leaves and 10 black pepper corns.
Put lid on pot, put pot in oven and bugger off for three hours or so. Until the meat is nice and flakey.
Remove from oven and set to cool

Dice kidneys into 1.5 cm cubes. Cover with cold water, bring to boil, drain and rinse under cold running water.
Place in pan with Bay leaf, black peppercorns, handful of thyme and cold water. Bring to simmer and simmer for a couple of hours.
Drain and let cool.

Pull meat out of the braising liquor. Pick meat from bones.
Reduce liquor by two thirds.
Allow to cool.
Mix liquor with meat and kidneys. Stir in a handful of parsley or chervil. I'll sometimes add a little caramalised onion and/or roast mushrooms too.
It's best left overnight in the fridge.

For the shortcrust pie pastry:

8g salt
50ml Cold Water
250g Unsalted Butter
400g Plain Flour
1 Egg Yolk

Dissolve salt in the water
Rub the butter into the flour until it resembles bread crumbs.
Add egg yolk and water.
Mix to dough.
Wrap in cling film
Chill for an hour in fridge.

As the filling is already cooked, you don't need to blind bake it.
So, Make pie.
Egg wash pie.
Cut slits in top to let steam out.
Bake at 200C / 400F until golden brown.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
I ordered egg biryani from a local Indian joint and it came with raita, which I am familiar with, but this particular raita had a cheesy taste to it and it was delicious. Is there a name for this type of raita? Other raitas that I've had definitely have the tang of yogurt but never a cheese-like taste.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

canoshiz posted:

I ordered egg biryani from a local Indian joint and it came with raita, which I am familiar with, but this particular raita had a cheesy taste to it and it was delicious. Is there a name for this type of raita? Other raitas that I've had definitely have the tang of yogurt but never a cheese-like taste.

DO you like raita? Because I'd like to get raita up on you. :shepface:

Can you not just add cheese to the mix? Goat cheese or crumbled paneer, maybe? A nice Gruyere.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

canoshiz posted:

Maybe it was made with kefir instead of yogurt? (a different strain of bacteria)

Labne made with kefir has a cheesy taste to it.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Cavenagh posted:

I like Marco Pierre White's version. Does take time to cook and cool the elements, but it's worth it. The recipe I have is for Steak & Kidney Pudding, but the filling can be used with shortcrust pastry.

For the filling:

Preheat oven to 170C / 340F.

Brown Oxtail or Chuck or Shin. Any tough cheap fatty cut that takes long time to cook, preferably on the bone. It's not a grilling steak cut that's called for, but a braising cut. .
Add 2 Carrots, 3 Celery, 2 Leeks, 2 Onions (all peeled and roughly chopped) and 1/2 a Garlic bulb.
Cover meat and veg with hot Beef stock and a bottle of wine (Stout or Brown Ale also works). Add a couple of bay leaves and 10 black pepper corns.
Put lid on pot, put pot in oven and bugger off for three hours or so. Until the meat is nice and flakey.
Remove from oven and set to cool

Dice kidneys into 1.5 cm cubes. Cover with cold water, bring to boil, drain and rinse under cold running water.
Place in pan with Bay leaf, black peppercorns, handful of thyme and cold water. Bring to simmer and simmer for a couple of hours.
Drain and let cool.

Pull meat out of the braising liquor. Pick meat from bones.
Reduce liquor by two thirds.
Allow to cool.
Mix liquor with meat and kidneys. Stir in a handful of parsley or chervil. I'll sometimes add a little caramalised onion and/or roast mushrooms too.
It's best left overnight in the fridge.

For the shortcrust pie pastry:

8g salt
50ml Cold Water
250g Unsalted Butter
400g Plain Flour
1 Egg Yolk

Dissolve salt in the water
Rub the butter into the flour until it resembles bread crumbs.
Add egg yolk and water.
Mix to dough.
Wrap in cling film
Chill for an hour in fridge.

As the filling is already cooked, you don't need to blind bake it.
So, Make pie.
Egg wash pie.
Cut slits in top to let steam out.
Bake at 200C / 400F until golden brown.

Thanks. I'll save this one for the second kidney I tucked away in the freezer. It's similar to the recipe I dug up and went with but looks better.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I splurged on some ahi tuna steaks since they were on sale, but I have no idea what to do with them. Any suggestions?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I get a pan as hot as I can stand it and sear each side for a minute or two, leaving the middle cold. Salt and pepper.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

So it really is a steak? Why is it okay for the middle to be cold? The bacteria can't get down there?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

That's the shorthand reason, yes. The inside should be safe, and searing the outside kills stuff out there.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

So it really is a steak? Why is it okay for the middle to be cold? The bacteria can't get down there?

1.) Sure, probably depending on how you define steak and that's really up to you i guess
2.)same reason it's ok to eat raw fish in sushi and nigiri, 2.5) surface is where bad bacteria breeds and most commercial fish are flash frozen immediately to take care of parasites

Plus_Infinity posted:

I have a giant mixing bowl full of the most beautiful jalapeños from my garden. What can I do with them? Are there any jalapeño based hot sauces I could make that would be good?

I made cornbread with jalapeño last night but that only used up 3 and I have about 50 left!

My fav hot sauce is:
4-5 cloves garlic
3 shallots
1 blender of chiles
1 bunch cilantro
Heavy Splash of rice wine vinegar*
Salt to taste
Oil to texture

Throw the shallot and garlic in the bottom on your blender, rough chop chiles (I use serrano but jalapeño is perfectly valid) add the vinegar and blend. Rough chop the cilantro and blend again, then slowly add oil until desired thickness. Check seasoning w salt and vinegar.

*this is mostly bc i almost exclusively buy gallon jugs of rice wine vinegar, but white, sherry, or apple cider would all probably work, also lemon and lime juice.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Aug 27, 2015

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I want some ramekins. I wouldn't mind making some custards, souffles, and mini-cobblers. I also want to make larger things like pot pies.

What sizes should I get? What materials should I avoid?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

I want some ramekins. I wouldn't mind making some custards, souffles, and mini-cobblers. I also want to make larger things like pot pies.

What sizes should I get? What materials should I avoid?

I like 6oz ceramic for custards. It's a reasonable size unless you're feeding fatasses who want to supersize it. For individual souffles I think 8 oz ramekins work better.

And then of course for creme brulees, I would recommend 4 or 6 oz creme brulee ramekins, which are wide and shallow so that you can get a little topping with every bite.

I have both melamine and ceramic ramekins and I haven't noticed a difference in how they cook, but I think the ceramic ones present better, and cleanup is a breeze.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Buy all the sizes.

Seriously, I love ramekins, big and small. You can cook in them, serve in them, use them as prep bowls. 6 inches is the biggest I have, and most of them are white Corningware glass, the rest ceramic.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I also vote for several sizes, when I do crème brûlée I get really shallow wide ones because everyone really just wants the crust

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

pile of brown posted:

1.) Sure, probably depending on how you define steak and that's really up to you i guess

I just meant as in how you season and cook it, that's how I season and cook cow steaks.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 27, 2015