Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

icantfindaname posted:

Okay

"Children are naturally predisposed to autism, or childlike behavior is a symptom/similar to autism"

-noted psychiatric expert, SA forums poster 1000 Brown M and Ms

You're a loving idiot, and using accusations of mental disability as a casual insult is incredibly lovely.

Dude, chill out. 1000 Brown's just stating a simple fact: children's brains, being undeveloped, are unable to process certain concepts and ways of thinking. Have you ever heard of "cognitive development?" It doesn't happen overnight. Object permanence, empathy, symbolism, social cues, etc., take time to understand and develop. Until those things develop, children share some behavior and thinking patterns with adults who are autistic--or sociopathic, have ADHD, are developmentally disabled, and so on. It's not a statement on people's worth, or an insult to the autistic, it was a glib way of saying, "Children have cognitive shortfalls that resemble certain traits of autism."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Thank you.

I probably could have phrased it better, but that's exactly what I was trying to say.

Stupid_Punk
Dec 1, 2002

Forum DJ and Musician
Haha as it if can't get any more interesting, there's one not too far from me that went out and slaughtered animals so now the ones in Pittsburgh here are just all fighting each other over it.

What's with the animal abuse that goes on? Apparently quite a few go out and do it for sport.

Also, seems like they're also attacking the rc fox guy for going out and partaking in charity things. I thought the furries were into charity?

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Stupid_Punk posted:

Haha as it if can't get any more interesting, there's one not too far from me that went out and slaughtered animals so now the ones in Pittsburgh here are just all fighting each other over it.

What's with the animal abuse that goes on? Apparently quite a few go out and do it for sport.

Also, seems like they're also attacking the rc fox guy for going out and partaking in charity things. I thought the furries were into charity?

Define 'animal abuse'. Obviously, I've mentioned at length the sexual abuse of animals by a minority of the fandom and the conspiracy of silence/GSF reasons why it's either condoned or just not generally commented on, but I've not heard anything about someone 'slaughtering animals' at any point. Some furs hunt (I did/do), but perhaps some more context is needed?

And have to admit, never heard of 'RC Fox' or any controversy relating. Might be a more local thing.

Stupid_Punk
Dec 1, 2002

Forum DJ and Musician

Camrath posted:

Define 'animal abuse'. Obviously, I've mentioned at length the sexual abuse of animals by a minority of the fandom and the conspiracy of silence/GSF reasons why it's either condoned or just not generally commented on, but I've not heard anything about someone 'slaughtering animals' at any point. Some furs hunt (I did/do), but perhaps some more context is needed?

And have to admit, never heard of 'RC Fox' or any controversy relating. Might be a more local thing.

I found a screen shot of the incident, apparently a guy slashed a racoon to death. It's causing quite a ruckus on the local news.

Oh RC Fox is a Pittsburgh guy, I found his wiki page here. http://en.wikifur.com/wiki/R.C._Fox
I've seen him around a few times when I was out jogging around the city. Seems quite nice.

EDIT: I think I may have met him according to his wiki page since he was a raver like I was about the same time. My mind is blown.

Attached, is the screenshot I observed.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Stupid_Punk fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 10, 2015

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax

paradoxGentleman posted:

Maybe you can explain this to me: why does everybody hate furries in particular? I mean, it's a fetish like any other that happens to be more organized. What have they done to deserve the Internet's spite?

It's extremely weird and sad, as an adult, to be the kind of person who is big into dressing up as a cartoon animal. For whatever reason, be it social or sexual. There are certain things that are like this in life.

Nouvelle Vague
Feb 16, 2011

Endut! Hoch Hech!

Faux-rear end Nonsense posted:

It's extremely weird and sad, as an adult, to be the kind of person who is big into dressing up as a cartoon animal. For whatever reason, be it social or sexual. There are certain things that are like this in life.

That, and I think they were prominent before any of the grosser fetishes (diaper-lovers and the like) came out.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Stupid_Punk posted:

I found a screen shot of the incident, apparently a guy slashed a racoon to death. It's causing quite a ruckus on the local news.

Oh RC Fox is a Pittsburgh guy, I found his wiki page here. http://en.wikifur.com/wiki/R.C._Fox
I've seen him around a few times when I was out jogging around the city. Seems quite nice.

EDIT: I think I may have met him according to his wiki page since he was a raver like I was about the same time. My mind is blown.

Attached, is the screenshot I observed.

Why did you scribble out the name of "Shoop Shep," and where did you find the post you screenshotted?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Nouvelle Vague posted:

That, and I think they were prominent before any of the grosser fetishes (diaper-lovers and the like) came out.

I think it's more of 'weird + lack of charisma + insufferable personalities' that made them the perfect target. There is a lot of weird on the Internet. Even in the late 90s, there was a lot of weird, but the furry community responded to pokes and jabs in a really awkward manner that made them an even easier target and that just kinds of builds on itself.

SamLikesCake
Oct 6, 2006

... and he is my navigator.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I think it's more of 'weird + lack of charisma + insufferable personalities' that made them the perfect target. There is a lot of weird on the Internet. Even in the late 90s, there was a lot of weird, but the furry community responded to pokes and jabs in a really awkward manner that made them an even easier target and that just kinds of builds on itself.

Yeah, basically this. They're a super defensive bunch as a rule and take any form of criticism of the hobby as tantamount to racism... which is wrong on so many levels that I can't even go there right now. Instead of admitting that MAYBE their hobby is kinda bizarre and moving on with their lives they start these stupid crusades that draws even more negative attention. And they don't learn. It's always the same people.

Then again, I'm a furry and find the crazy reactions to supposed "fursecution" hilarious. Granted, the fandom is far from the most important thing in my life. The ones who lash out at critics and trolls are usually the types who have no social interaction outside of the community. They've made it their entire life and so when someone laughs at them, their whole world is being attacked. All the more reason for them to branch out a bit, make non-furry friends and learn to take it on the chin when someone laughs at their $3000 wolf costume.

I've actually seen similar reactions from really hardcore anime fans, but furries are by far the worst when it comes to reacting badly to criticism.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

SamLikesCake posted:

Yeah, basically this. They're a super defensive bunch as a rule and take any form of criticism of the hobby as tantamount to racism... which is wrong on so many levels that I can't even go there right now. Instead of admitting that MAYBE their hobby is kinda bizarre and moving on with their lives they start these stupid crusades that draws even more negative attention. And they don't learn. It's always the same people.

Then again, I'm a furry and find the crazy reactions to supposed "fursecution" hilarious. Granted, the fandom is far from the most important thing in my life. The ones who lash out at critics and trolls are usually the types who have no social interaction outside of the community. They've made it their entire life and so when someone laughs at them, their whole world is being attacked. All the more reason for them to branch out a bit, make non-furry friends and learn to take it on the chin when someone laughs at their $3000 wolf costume.

I've actually seen similar reactions from really hardcore anime fans, but furries are by far the worst when it comes to reacting badly to criticism.

Anime fans can be pretty bad for the same reason, but the real modern treasures of the Internet are bronies right now. I think a lot of the reason the furry hate train has come to a stop is because bronies are everything the early 2000s furries were, only worse and with all the same social flaws.

Stupid_Punk
Dec 1, 2002

Forum DJ and Musician

As a Millennial I posted:

Why did you scribble out the name of "Shoop Shep," and where did you find the post you screenshotted?

I didn't, that's what I obtained from someone's tumblr.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Stupid_Punk posted:

I didn't, that's what I obtained from someone's tumblr.

Yeah, I can't read the crappy screenshot, but that looks like someone killed a raccoon. There's a hunting season for them, which is essentially all winter, and they're legal to live-trap and kill if necessary as vermin the rest of the year.

Furries will get up in arms over literally anything.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I'm Loving It

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Seriously, it's a loving raccoon and i bet a lot get killed in inhumane ways if you really care to look. It has little to do with furries in particular
as far as I can see.

SamLikesCake
Oct 6, 2006

... and he is my navigator.

Foreverally amazing.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

SamLikesCake posted:

Yep, and the various hugboxes that people have created on forums and social media absolutely don't help, because that just creates and perpetuates this collective delusion of special, unassailable snowflakosity. It gets to the point where certain people will absolutely explode if you offer a balanced critique of their art, tell them that something they said or did was rude or inappropriate, or tell them that they shouldn't have worn their fursuit or ears to work or class. This poo poo even annoys other furries.

It also doesn't help that some people have opted to go to the other extreme, and claim they're being "honest" or what have you when they're just being lovely, rude, and hipster-esque. When this type meets that type, you end up with an online explosion of epic proportions.

I have also seen these same behaviors in bronies and otakus, absolutely.

I'd also agree with SamLikesCake that a lot of the problem often seems to stem from people putting all of their eggs in one basket, so to speak, so that they don't develop other interests, values, or relationships outside of that one narrow interest. The furries (and other people, natch) that have multiple interests, have realistic life goals and aspirations, and who belong to multiple social circles are typically more balanced and well-adjusted, in my experience.

TheAbominableSnow
Nov 20, 2012

a thousand puns and not one of them worth saying
OP, thanks for the read so far--European furries are way different from the USA ones, and I'm kinda glad I deal mostly with a stateside crowd. Sounds like you guys have a lot more dogfuckers. I make most of my small cash during the school year by drawing commissions for furries, which requires a pretty heavy involvement in the fandom despite my overall lack of interest (it's worth it because these people are CRAZY generous with money, way more than any other crowd I've worked with).

Here's my question: how much of an otherkin movement did you have to deal with, both early on and in recent years? Were they legit serious about it in a spiritual way, or was it more of an attention grab? You sorta touched on this already, but just wondering if there were any personal experiences. I have to handle so many sad fuckers who think that they're really an elemental sparkledog wolf canine-like monster, sorry, in the wrong body. Or at least pretend they are, which is sadder. There are a lot of kids nowadays who seem to join the fandom in a weird sort of rebellion (like they know that furries have a bad rap, but that's part of the appeal--very weird 'cool outsider' thing attached to it recently), and the overlap with insane tumblr otherkin is strong, since that's the site a lot of tweens get on when they're starting their gullible idiot internet phase. Tumblr's also had a huge hand in romanticizing mental illness and victimization, so I feel like a lot of fragile young people may grab the concept of otherkin to explain their awkwardness while simultaneously making them feel special/giving an excuse for a pity-party/etc. It's more a bizarre form of validation than an actual spiritual belief at this point. Is this more of a US cultural thing, a modern thing, or did you have a similar brand of this poo poo a decade ago in Europe?

TheAbominableSnow fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 13, 2015

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Tartarus Sauce posted:

It also doesn't help that some people have opted to go to the other extreme, and claim they're being "honest" or what have you when they're just being lovely, rude, and hipster-esque. When this type meets that type, you end up with an online explosion of epic proportions.

You say that as if it is a bad thing.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Abominable Snow, there has actually been a bit of research done on therians and furries who experience a kind of self-body discrepancy: here, here, and here.

This is a bit out of my wheelhouse, as my contact with therians has been pretty limited. There do appear to be people who've reportedly experienced phantom limbs, "shifting," and a general feeling of malaise about being human, and they seem to be as sincere as they can be about that. These people are typically remiss to share about these feelings and experiences with other people, for fear of being seen as "crazy" or "faking." My strictly personal read of many (but not all) of the therians I've met is that they came across as very geeky and shy, bordering on (or actually crossing into) Aspergian.

Then, there are the Tumblr teens who grandstand about being foxes or cougars the same way they also grandstand about being demisexual transgender self-diagnosed Aspergians. They tend not to be bashful about murring and purring and barking and yipping and bragging about their non-humanness with anyone within earshot, and they seem to really enjoy lamenting about how oppressed and misunderstood they are. They seem to consider identity a kind of bingo game that one uses to get attention.

But, this is another stateside opinion.

Furries are indeed uber-generous with money. I've noticed that too. On the positive side, this means that they're willing to pitch in, when, say, someone who's been kind to them is in dire straits, or when one of their own is in actual trouble. It also means that artists make bank at conventions. On the negative side, moochers and leeches are legion, and some people have a tendency to spend all of their money on furry frills, or video games, or other luxuries, and not have any left over for, yannow, electricity and rent. Some (usually young) people also act like attending conventions is a human right, so they don't see a problem with asking others to pay their way.

Tartarus Sauce fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Aug 15, 2015

TheAbominableSnow
Nov 20, 2012

I'm actually decently familiar with the 'serious' type of therians, but not from within the furry community. People who legit identify as a wolf or the concept of space are a little more common because of new-agey stuff, imo. I respect that as much as any other spiritual belief, to be honest--most of them seem like functioning, happy people, so more power to them. The only time I'm met people who feel phantom limbs or experience 'mental shifts' are those I've met through furries/tumblr though, so I guess that was why I was interested in furry otherkin specifically; those are also the people who don't just identify as wolves, but magical ice beasts or angels or dragons or what have you, and sincerely believe they existed in that fantasy form at one time.That strikes me as a lot crazier than the...normal, I guess, therians I've known (I go to an art college, so I have met a lot of people in all of the above categories).

Tumblr is just the loving worst, though. I post a lot of mythology art on my blog and sometimes make the mistake of checking tags/comments/people who've reblogged it, and fuuuuck. Pictures of my own characters get tagged as 'kin' or 'kinselves'. I've had to stop looking at tags because I run across so many blogs who have about 100 different characters/special animals on their 'kinpages' and it just makes me angry. It makes me ESPECIALLY angry when I see how many of these kids have a (usually self-diagnosed) mental illness they won't seek treatment for, and you know they're either the worst kind of attention whore or in legitimate need of help and the kin poo poo is a coping mechanism. I honestly much prefer furries to otherkin, because the overall community seems healthier for those involved.

I also know a dude who lives with his mom who just sold his car to pay for a fursuit, so there's also that. And another friend who mooched off his parents for three years while spending every paycheck on furry art. Some of those people feed off of drama and fiscal irresponsibility and I just feel bad taking their money.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

TheAbominableSnow posted:

It makes me ESPECIALLY angry when I see how many of these kids have a (usually self-diagnosed) mental illness they won't seek treatment for, and you know they're either the worst kind of attention whore or in legitimate need of help and the kin poo poo is a coping mechanism.

Yup. Even the ones who are malingering or exaggerating could clearly use some mentoring and help--that is, if they were willing to accept it--because that sort of behavior just isn't healthy, and definitely has an expiration date (read: yesterday).

I've said that more geek cons could use panels on topics like communication skills, conflict resolution, self-care, and mental health, because it's clear a lot of people ain't learning this stuff otherwise.

quote:

I also know a dude who lives with his mom who just sold his car to pay for a fursuit, so there's also that. And another friend who mooched off his parents for three years while spending every paycheck on furry art. Some of those people feed off of drama and fiscal irresponsibility and I just feel bad taking their money.

Well, you know what they say about fools and their money. But yeah, it's sad.

I like your Tumblr, by the way. Love the picture of your sparkledemon with the wings and the third eye. Neato :).

You do body horror, too, which is also cool. What are those commissioners like, if I can ask? Any different from the other types of commissioners? (Curious if people who commission different types of art are more or less likely to be demanding, creepy, polite, dodgy, etc., etc.)

Tartarus Sauce fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 15, 2015

TheAbominableSnow
Nov 20, 2012

Tartarus Sauce posted:

Well, you know what they say about fools and their money. But yeah, it's sad.

I like your Tumblr, by the way. Love the picture of your sparkledemon with the wings and the third eye. Neato :).

You do body horror, too, which is also cool. What are those commissioners like, if I can ask? Any different from the other types of commissioners? (Curious if people who commission different types of art are more or less likely to be demanding, creepy, polite, dodgy, etc., etc.)

True. I do think it has something to do with the culture exacerbating the bad habits of the individual--there's a kind of collector mentality with the furry groups I frequent, where every piece of character art is basically a mark of popularity/success. Like you said earlier, helps artists make bank (especially at conventions, holy poo poo their badge-based insanity is great), but it lead to a lot of drama, begging, and gofundmes eventually.

And hey, thanks! I have a soft spot for sparklethings from my deviantArt days, and made it mostly as a fun-to-draw example character for commissions. Been very effective, actually. Once a furry sees a piece they like, they want one exactly like it and it's great for business.

As for commissioners...the weirdos have actually been the ones who asked for fairly innocent stuff, in my experience. I was recently asked to draw a homestuck character turning into a werething (with lots of blood and pain specifically requested), but the commissioner was super polite and normal about it. On the other hand, I was doing pretty plain con badges at FWA last year for quick cash and had some uncomfortable stuff happen. Mostly huge, balding babyfurs making transparent comments about how cute certain art examples looked, and this one dude who insisted on giving me a hug after I finished his badge. Which would have been fine, except he was in a fursuit, and it was only as he grabbed me in a bear hug that I realized he stank like hell and was SOAKED, I mean absolutely completely drenched, in hot sweat. My forearms were shining with moisture and actually dripped once or twice as he pulled away. Needless to say, I reeked of horrendous BO for the rest of the day (delightfully, the con would reassign an artist alley space if vacated, so I had to stay all day long with no breaks if I wanted my spot). Also the person next to me was drawing balloon furry inflation badges and babyfur art all day and made twice as much as I did, despite their low skill level. It was honestly impressive--I can't say I wouldn't do the same if I relied on furries as my main income source like she did.

I think self-awareness plays a part inasmuch that body horror/guro fans KNOW they're into weird stuff and tend to make an effort to avoid creeping their artist out, whereas more 'normal' furries may not be watching their filters as much. It's always been the generic sparkledog anime roleplayers who proposition me for sex or demand art of my characters loving them or whatever. The times I've been cheated out of money have been from the same brand of people. I'm sure I'll end up working for some gross perverts eventually, since I have to pay back college loans somehow (and the SFW art I do is nowhere as lucrative as erotica), but average cutesy furries have always been the hidden gems of awful so far!

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

I think self-awareness plays a part inasmuch that body horror/guro fans KNOW they're into weird stuff and tend to make an effort to avoid creeping their artist out, whereas more 'normal' furries may not be watching their filters as much.

That makes perfect sense.

When people are willing to admit to or even more, joke about their own weirdness or eccentricity, that's usually a good sign.

It makes me think of other subcultures where the (self-aware) "weirdos" are actually more decent than some of the presumed "normals."

quote:

Mostly huge, balding babyfurs making transparent comments about how cute certain art examples looked,

Yeah, there's definitely a difference between some people remarking that something's cute, and certain people remarking that something is cute in a way that sends chills down my spine, at least.

quote:

grabbed me in a bear hug that I realized he stank like hell and was SOAKED, I mean absolutely completely drenched, in hot sweat. My forearms were shining with moisture and actually dripped once or twice as he pulled away

....and I just gagged.

I'm so sorry.

Good luck with those college loans, ha. :(

Tartarus Sauce fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 15, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Tumblr is just the loving worst, though. I post a lot of mythology art on my blog and sometimes make the mistake of checking tags/comments/people who've reblogged it, and fuuuuck. Pictures of my own characters get tagged as 'kin' or 'kinselves'. I've had to stop looking at tags because I run across so many blogs who have about 100 different characters/special animals on their 'kinpages' and it just makes me angry. It makes me ESPECIALLY angry when I see how many of these kids have a (usually self-diagnosed) mental illness they won't seek treatment for, and you know they're either the worst kind of attention whore or in legitimate need of help and the kin poo poo is a coping mechanism. I honestly much prefer furries to otherkin, because the overall community seems healthier for those involved.

I do apologize if I am missing something obvious here, but why does it bother you that people are tagging your art as "kin"? I can understand if it's your own character they are hijacking, but what about the rest?

And yeah, good luck with the loans.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 15, 2015

TheAbominableSnow
Nov 20, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

I do apologize if I am missing something obvious here, but why does it bother you that people are tagging your art as "kin"? I can understand if it's your own character they are hijacking, but what about the rest?

And yeah, good luck with the loans.

Mostly because the art I see those tags on is drawings of like...wendigos and Jack the Ripper and just generally gross or inappropriate monsters/fantasy figures. Like, you really think you're spiritually a monster that is DEFINED by the act of cannibalism? That's seriously what you're going with? You can't just wear tripp pants and eyeliner like a slightly more functional person? The act of tagging 'kin' doesn't peeve me off that much, in and of itself, but usually the kind of people who do that thing come off as insufferable after about 2 seconds delving into their blog. Trust me when I say that the people who need to claim they're a reincarnation of the goddamn Antichrist (but in a cool and nice and ~tumblr safe space~ way) are unbelievably grating.

Also some content I post is original designs of mythical things that are sometimes pretty personal, so when I hear "Hey, this is exactly what my true shape looks like! Like this! Exactly!" on a concept I spent ages on it's just...vaguely insulting in a way I can't place. Like no, I came up with this, thanks. Don't stake some kind of claim on it because it's your kintype of the day or whatever.

ALSO, related to that last one: I used to run a fandom ask blog kind of thing (terribly nerdy, I know) where that happened CONSTANTLY. It was for a character from a weird indie game that left a lot up to interpretation, so most of the content came from me creating my own theories and explanation for canon events, then illustrating them in the character's own words. I usually loved it when people used my art or adopted the same theories, because hey, it was just a chill fanproject. But there were a shitload of people who believed/pretended they were this character, and nothing bugged me like seeing them reblog something with a comment like "Wow, great explanation! Now I know what to say when people ask me why I did _____", with ______ being filled in with whatever problematic or evil thing the character had done in-game. It was less the fact that they thought they were a pixel viddy game man and more that they were so goddamn unoriginal that they couldn't figure out 'their' own motives. Like, I just pooped that stuff out in my free time, man. Are you that incapable of original thought?

But yeah, just my reasons as an artist. None of this would be annoying if it did not happen constantly. Kind wears down my tolerance for it overall I guess.
EDIT: And thanks for the good wishes on the loans, guys :3:

TheAbominableSnow fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 16, 2015

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Mostly because the art I see those tags on is drawings of like...wendigos and Jack the Ripper and just generally gross or inappropriate monsters/fantasy figures. Like, you really think you're spiritually a monster that is DEFINED by the act of cannibalism? That's seriously what you're going with? You can't just wear tripp pants and eyeliner like a slightly more functional person? The act of tagging 'kin' doesn't peeve me off that much, in and of itself, but usually the kind of people who do that thing come off as insufferable after about 2 seconds delving into their blog. Trust me when I say that the people who need to claim they're a reincarnation of the goddamn Antichrist (but in a cool and nice and ~tumblr safe space~ way) are unbelievably grating.

Also some content I post is original designs of mythical things that are sometimes pretty personal, so when I hear "Hey, this is exactly what my true shape looks like! Like this! Exactly!" on a concept I spent ages on it's just...vaguely insulting in a way I can't place. Like no, I came up with this, thanks. Don't stake some kind of claim on it because it's your kintype of the day or whatever.

ALSO, related to that last one: I used to run a fandom ask blog kind of thing (terribly nerdy, I know) where that happened CONSTANTLY. It was for a character from a weird indie game that left a lot up to interpretation, so most of the content came from me creating my own theories and explanation for canon events, then illustrating them in the character's own words. I usually loved it when people used my art or adopted the same theories, because hey, it was just a chill fanproject. But there were a shitload of people who believed/pretended they were this character, and nothing bugged me like seeing them reblog something with a comment like "Wow, great explanation! Now I know what to say when people ask me why I did _____", with ______ being filled in with whatever problematic or evil thing the character had done in-game. It was less the fact that they thought they were a pixel viddy game man and more that they were so goddamn unoriginal that they couldn't figure out 'their' own motives. Like, I just pooped that stuff out in my free time, man. Are you that incapable of original thought?

But yeah, just my reasons as an artist. None of this would be annoying if it did not happen constantly. Kind wears down my tolerance for it overall I guess.

I can totally see why you'd be pissed. You put in all this effort trying to be unique and original and at the end of it all, up pops some shitstain essentially saying that you didn't design it at all, you were merely depicting how it really is. Said shitstain is likely to steal your ideas and start drawing their kinself/OCs using your designs.

Stupid_Punk
Dec 1, 2002

Forum DJ and Musician

blowfish posted:

Seriously, it's a loving raccoon and i bet a lot get killed in inhumane ways if you really care to look. It has little to do with furries in particular
as far as I can see.

IT still amuses me, tho.

I just found out they have another convention coming up next month called wpafw and it is held just north of Pittsburgh at a park.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

To be honest, furry art, from the cartoons to the suits, is aesthetically awful. I know that's just an opinion, though I'm sure there's some arbitrary High Art reason too, but I just see how ugly it all looks and wonder how someone could want to devote their life to recreating it. People have already posted some well drawn pictures. But even if someone took years perfecting Optimus Prime in watercolour or whatever, it's still going to be vapid garbage because it says nothing, however good the technical skill. We don't need to figure out a moral high horse (though god knows there are plenty) - it's perfectly ok to loudly complain about not liking a style of 'art'.

Also, any description of people as holding

Camrath posted:

respected/powerful positions within the fandom
despite no meaningful power or serious money actually passing through their hands is a pretty reliable red flag for broken, cultish poo poo.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Strategic Tea posted:

To be honest, furry art, from the cartoons to the suits, is aesthetically awful. I know that's just an opinion, though I'm sure there's some arbitrary High Art reason too, but I just see how ugly it all looks and wonder how someone could want to devote their life to recreating it. People have already posted some well drawn pictures. But even if someone took years perfecting Optimus Prime in watercolour or whatever, it's still going to be vapid garbage because it says nothing, however good the technical skill. We don't need to figure out a moral high horse (though god knows there are plenty) - it's perfectly ok to loudly complain about not liking a style of 'art'.

despite no meaningful power or serious money actually passing through their hands is a pretty reliable red flag for broken, cultish poo poo.

I'm not going to argue ground of taste or preference- that's just a black hole with no resolution. But I will say that there are some genuinely talented furry artists, as well as a great many incredibly bad ones. And the talented ones most often have a non-furry portfolio as well that just doesn't make the rounds so much.

For your second point though- for a start, serious money DOES pass through the hands of some people, particularly con organisers. While they may not be taking a slice for themselves (as far as I know), if you simply do the maths the actual amount of cash involved in a four day convention for several thousand people in a convention hotel.. the figures get staggering.

Interestingly, I've been hearing from some of my sources on the inside about a lot of issues that have been raised at various european cons. I'm not going to comment further without verification and further info, but it seems that there's a change afoot at least to some degree.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Strategic Tea posted:

I'd be careful about that point of view. Art subject and styles only got broadened away from the institutes and favoured few by people making pretty pictures that mean nothing other than decoration. We all benefit from it being wrestled away from the few high art idiots who think anything other than X is trash. You can dislike any style or prefer specific ones, but using such a broad brush to go "all of this is worthless trash that means nothing" is far more worthless and trashy than the poo poo they draw.

There is massive amounts of money in the scene and if anything the artists are being extremely savvy filling that market. $600 for a poorly rendered painting of a furry girl in a bikini that takes maybe 20 hours of work is $30 an hour. These artists could be funding actual personal work with meaning like every other artist in history or snorting coke off fur suits.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Oh yeah I'm not saying the artists are necessarily unskilled, or that they're bad people for milking the cash cow. But I mean even the trashiest paperback probably hassomething to say about how middle class housewives are ok after all or whatever

E: And while those books will make absurd amounts of money, they won't get anywhere near the devotion a fandom would entail (usually)

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Aug 24, 2015

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Actually I find that the inherent meaningless nature of the art to be a benefit, and I hold xxDarkSonic99's latest masterpiece dennis the hegehog to be on the same caliber as Duchamp's Fountain in their impact of smashing the traditional, elitist view of art.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

In a century some grad student's going to write their dissertation on the use of sparkledogs as democratic heraldry and it will be the most beautiful thing you'll never get to read

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 24, 2015

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

In a century some grad student's going to write their dissertation on the use of sparkledogs as democratic heraldry and it will be the most beautiful thing you'll never get to read

Greysexual lithromantic, a néon vert spakledog rampant, forelegs charged with Bad Dragon dildos.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Dienes posted:

Greysexual lithromantic, a néon vert spakledog rampant, forelegs charged with Bad Dragon dildos.

lol

everyone knows still lifes are really a reminder of the transitory nature of material gain, but did a museum placard ever tell you that sad manwolf with like a hundred spears sticking out of his back is actually a message to appreciate life in all its joys and sorrows

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Aug 25, 2015

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

My girlfriend did actually make a sparkledog heraldic symbol, but only for a LARP and as a secret joke between us. When I get home I'll see if I can find it.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Strategic Tea posted:

Oh yeah I'm not saying the artists are necessarily unskilled, or that they're bad people for milking the cash cow. But I mean even the trashiest paperback probably hassomething to say about how middle class housewives are ok after all or whatever

E: And while those books will make absurd amounts of money, they won't get anywhere near the devotion a fandom would entail (usually)

A. Well, there is a bunch of so called "meaningful" furry artwork that does have a message. It's just... you can't take it seriously. There is the oft cited artwork of a fox crying in front of a gay pride flag. It's supposed to be a powerful image about the atrocities and bigotry that LGBT people have experienced over the years. Except the fact it's a loving anthropomorphic fox. So it's stupid.
B. Fifty Shades, dude. Sex sells. It's why furries are so protective of it. This is how they make a living. The rest of us got jobs dude. These people draw boners for a living.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
My belief has always been that if you rely on art as your sole income you've made a dicey choice as tastes come and go. Keep it as a way to earn extra coin on the side plus you get to keep the passion that would otherwise be destroyed by worrying about if Yiffy the Hedgehog will pay the electric bill.

• Locked thread