Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The main inventory killer right now are all the identified items. I throw away bombs and meat and other pet stuff since Lin makes them obsolete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

If you're gonna dump bombs and meat just gently caress all of your bombs at a group before you fight and then get an extra turn and kill em for a large party xp boost. No need to drop them entirely.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Shibawanko posted:

What's Dawn of Mana like?

A very beautiful, incredibly slow version of Kingdom Hearts with little to no move variety and a physics engine where you throw poo poo at enemies to scare the crap out of them long enough to beat them to death.

It's chapters are also split out more like levels, and your character level is reset for every chapter and the max level is 5 and what level you're at determines your combo string/what spells you can use/your health.

It's very weird but I love the hell out of it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phantasium posted:

A very beautiful, incredibly slow version of Kingdom Hearts with little to no move variety and a physics engine where you throw poo poo at enemies to scare the crap out of them long enough to beat them to death.

It's chapters are also split out more like levels, and your character level is reset for every chapter and the max level is 5 and what level you're at determines your combo string/what spells you can use/your health.

It's very weird but I love the hell out of it.

In comparison I'll say I hated Dawn of Mana a lot and found it horrifyingly boring and an example of the worst of the worst post-HL2 "everything has to have physics fuckery' gameplay. The English version is actually improved slightly over the Japanese version in terms of how medals and stuff are handled and it still sucked.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

In comparison I'll say I hated Dawn of Mana a lot and found it horrifyingly boring and an example of the worst of the worst post-HL2 "everything has to have physics fuckery' gameplay. The English version is actually improved slightly over the Japanese version in terms of how medals and stuff are handled and it still sucked.

I understand completely, it's pretty repetitive despite being incredibly short. But I think we've both mentioned this at several points now and leads me to believe that no one else played it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I didn't get chance since they never bothered releasing it here.

Apparently Ryuichi Sakamoto worked on the soundtrack???

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phantasium posted:

I understand completely, it's pretty repetitive despite being incredibly short. But I think we've both mentioned this at several points now and leads me to believe that no one else played it.

I wouldn't be shocked. It is like one of the most Forgotten games I can ever thing of despite being SD4. Like people mention Dragon Quarter a lot more than DoM.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

I wouldn't be shocked. It is like one of the most Forgotten games I can ever thing of despite being SD4. Like people mention Dragon Quarter a lot more than DoM.
What about Sword of Mana

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Isn't Sword of Mana just a remake of the original Final Fantasy Adventure? It was okay but showed its age.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

What about Sword of Mana

It's okay. It's a simple remake with some new features. I didn't particularly love it but from what I recall it was perfectly competent.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Tae posted:

The main inventory killer right now are all the identified items. I throw away bombs and meat and other pet stuff since Lin makes them obsolete.

Food/Bombs are absurdly good actually, because they can group enemies together and weaken them up. You get bonus XP for how many enemies you fight at once and how fast you kill them.

You lose your inventory capacity upgrades if you restore too IIRC so be careful. As soon as you get access to the Ant village you should start that poo poo up ASAP because it gives you access to a ton of stuff, as well as has a huge bonus dungeon at the end of it if that's your thing.

Since a couple of people were asking how the heck you deal with the bossrush bosses and such without Dragon form, the trick with Ryu is to save up a second full action bar before you start attacking, and make sure you have the power up skill equipped as well. Boss's shields regenerate every turn (or is it ever attack string?) so your goal is to focus everything into big combos. IIRC this also applies if Ryu or Lin knocks an enemy into a Trap, so you can stack 3x traps, do a big combo, end by pushing them into the traps, etc.

And yeah the game is very doable without NG+ at all once you understand how to manage the D-Counter, food/bombs, and combo systems. Abusing Restore helps a lot for the boss rush area though, since there are multiple paths. D-Counter buildup from walking around or passing turns in combat is completely negligible, it's not a very long game.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

What about Sword of Mana

If you're at all competent with the crafting system you'll kill most of the bosses in the game in under 10 seconds.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Grandia 2 is up on Steam.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Terper posted:

Grandia 2 is up on Steam.

It has one private negative review for some reason as well.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Don't buy it yet, I don't think anybody can even play it right now. It's not downloading all the files or something?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I kiiiiind of want to give Grandia II a whirl again. I beat it on the PS2 of all things and seem to remember liking it, but it'd be nice to try again on a (hopefully) better release.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Was the dub for Grandia 2 good, It's been so long that I forgot. It has the JP voice option at least if it is I guess.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Was the dub for Grandia 2 good, It's been so long that I forgot. It has the JP voice option at least if it is I guess.

It was cheesy as hell. Cam Clarke voices the main character if you want an idea of how cheesy.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

It was cheesy as hell. Cam Clarke voices the main character if you want an idea of how cheesy.

So you're saying there's no reason to use the JP voice track then

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

I think it's better than most other JRPG dubs of the time but it's still really hammy, Colonel Campbell as a smartass bird is a nice touch

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

If you like your RPGs to sound like a mediocre Saturday morning cartoon you'll probably like the Grandia 2 dub.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's like a reunion of Metal Gear Solid characters. Cam Clarke, John Cygan to name a few.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Red Red Blue posted:

Don't buy it yet, I don't think anybody can even play it right now. It's not downloading all the files or something?

Ya the GoG version is currently much bigger in file size.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

If you like your RPGs to sound like a mediocre Saturday morning cartoon you'll probably like the Grandia 2 dub.
they sound like that in japanese, also

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

If you're wondering how the port is, this site seems to have a hands on impression.

http://www.rpgsite.net/preview/4504-hands-on-with-grandia-ii-s-anniversary-edition-pc-port

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Looks like it's downloading the rest of the game now

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Endorph posted:

they sound like that in japanese, also

If you like your RPGs to sound like a mediocre Saturday morning cartoon you'll probably like the Grandia 2 dub. :downs:

Mr. Fortitude posted:

If you're wondering how the port is, this site seems to have a hands on impression.

http://www.rpgsite.net/preview/4504-hands-on-with-grandia-ii-s-anniversary-edition-pc-port

Hard Mode: Now it takes 20% more time to kill bosses which have no chance of ever hitting you.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
Well, the new version of Grandia II doesn't crash when Milenna first uses Zap. That's farther than my original PC copy back in the day.

Hard Mode is only a 20% increase in enemy HP? :lol: That's not stopping the basic boom spell from clearing random encounters for the first half of the game.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I'm like halfway into Grandia 1 (I just got the big dude into my party after crossing over the wall, forget his name) and I kind of don't have the drive to finish it. Should I? Does it get incredibly cool in the latter half or anything? I'm being really tempted to just start Grandia 2 right now.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Amppelix posted:

I'm like halfway into Grandia 1 (I just got the big dude into my party after crossing over the wall, forget his name) and I kind of don't have the drive to finish it. Should I? Does it get incredibly cool in the latter half or anything? I'm being really tempted to just start Grandia 2 right now.

Please stop playing Grandia 1.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

in atelier rorona is there some place to get good cabbage after the festival? i need to make the cabbage pie but i wasted all my good ones, best i have left are in the 50s

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Davincie posted:

in atelier rorona is there some place to get good cabbage after the festival? i need to make the cabbage pie but i wasted all my good ones, best i have left are in the 50s

The Nearby Forest should have a cabbage area.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Amppelix posted:

If you didn't enjoy the first half I can't remember anything that would make you love the back half, so you're probably safe to just move on

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Golden Goat posted:

Please stop playing Grandia 1.

What, is it supposed to be bad? I quite enjoyed what I've played of it, it's just a combination of slow story and easy fights that's driving me away.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Amppelix posted:

What, is it supposed to be bad? I quite enjoyed what I've played of it, it's just a combination of slow story and easy fights that's driving me away.

It's just super plain and never really picks up. Go ahead and try Grandia 2

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
grandia 2 is great. as long as nothing terrible is said about the port, so far it seems like theres only a minor glitch about not battles occasionally not giving gold/exp, go buy it so every rpg ever comes to steam please and thank you

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

ImpAtom posted:

The Nearby Forest should have a cabbage area.

Just to add to this, I think you'll want to use a Tonic before harvesting to get one at high enough quality.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

wait you can do that? i've been missing out

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

grandia 2 is great. as long as nothing terrible is said about the port, so far it seems like theres only a minor glitch about not battles occasionally not giving gold/exp, go buy it so every rpg ever comes to steam please and thank you

It has some really weird audio issues I hope they can patch out. Stuff like footsteps are obnoxiously loud. They've also added music to scenes where there previously was not any and that's not bad, exactly, but it doesn't always fit well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Levantine posted:

It has some really weird audio issues I hope they can patch out. Stuff like footsteps are obnoxiously loud. They've also added music to scenes where there previously was not any and that's not bad, exactly, but it doesn't always fit well.
honestly i wouldn't be surprised if the 'fade audio out' script was screwed up/glitched out.