Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dec 26, 2012

Effectronica posted:

There's nothing wrong with ability scores, even with having them alongside class, level, and skills. A bigger issue is that they're often implemented terribly and counterintuitively when that's the case, such as in D&D past 2e. But it's not exactly hard to see a game where you have two silos, one with class and level as the key elements and another with ability scores and skills as the key element. Ability scores also allow you to, if they're well-designed, sum up a character with a glance (D&D doesn't do this very well at all) even if they're cosmetic, which helps with roleplaying somewhat. You could also use them as the centerpiece of a damage system.

I like what was done with ability scores in pillars of eternity, in concept anyway (never mind the execution).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Len posted:

People apparently took guns to a Pokemon tournament. https://www.facebook.com/BostonPoliceDepartment?fref=nf
Never take a Pawniard to a gunfight.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

My Lovely Horse posted:

I like hunting and going range shooting as much as anyone else but gently caress it, gun control ain't gonna cut it. Ban all guns and melt them down into bike racks or something.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

Doublade

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

01011001 posted:

I like what was done with ability scores in pillars of eternity, in concept anyway (never mind the execution).

I hated having one or two less points to meet a skill check, and knowing that I just needed to rest in a specific inn or something to get it. I'd think it ought to be a percentile based chance of success, except that's also an annoying pain in the rear end where you're constantly reloading the game to beat the skill check.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Gravy Train Robber posted:

which is probably the only decent World of Darkness property

What, you didn't like Monte Cook's World of Darkness?

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

El Estrago Bonito posted:

What, you didn't like Monte Cook's World of Darkness?

Thank you for reminding me that exists. Is there an F&F of it?

For anyone not aware, it was a d20, class based World of Darkness game that had nothing to do with the World of Darkness, by Monte "The Moon" Cook

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

I am almost positive there was.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah, it was Monte's "reimagining" of the WoD, which basically meant that he was taking the main five supernatural types and changed them all around so they had nothing to do with the oWoD. I remember it being something like "a big supernatural rifts open up in the middle of <major city>, dark spirits leak out and possess people, and the possessed people are the vampires/werewolves/mages/wraiths/changelings."

Oh, and it tried to work Mage's freeform magic system into d20.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
It was an earlier time. A darker time.

The time of d20.

For all the jokes about 4E being a video game I remember right when 3E came out they released a goddamn Diablo 2 conversion guide so you could play Diablo 2 in D&D

Gravy Train Robber fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 24, 2015

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

yes

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

The time of d20.

For all the jokes about 4E being a video game I remember right when 3E came out they released a goddamn Diablo 2 conversion guide so you could play Diablo 2 in D&D

That cover is goddamn amazing.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The time of d20.

I love the look on the barbarian's face. Like he's so sick of waiting for the sorceress to finish up whatever the hell she's doing back there.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Not as amazing as this one

I can't believe it was a whole product line

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

"Dammit, why aren't these birds I summoned impressed by all this underboob I'm rocking? This is totally harshing my endless demon-slaughter buzz."

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

I have discovered an amazing new well. Whaaaaaat

Dec 26, 2012

Bedlamdan posted:

I hated having one or two less points to meet a skill check, and knowing that I just needed to rest in a specific inn or something to get it. I'd think it ought to be a percentile based chance of success, except that's also an annoying pain in the rear end where you're constantly reloading the game to beat the skill check.

One of the tricks to making something like that work is to take out any sort of temporary ability score boosters because otherwise you run into those exact kinds of problems.

Harthacnut
Jul 29, 2014

The time of d20.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

For anyone not aware, it was a d20, class based World of Darkness game that had nothing to do with the World of Darkness, by Monte "The Moon" Cook
Yeah, you know how the whole point of the World of Darkness is that it's our world, just with supernatural monsters existing in the shadows and influencing things? Monte's WoD was the exact opposite - a post-apocalyptic setting where a giant rift had opened in a city, destroying it, and letting loose hordes of monsters who wander around in public.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

:vince:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

:captainpop:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yeah, it was Monte's "reimagining" of the WoD, which basically meant that he was taking the main five supernatural types and changed them all around so they had nothing to do with the oWoD. I remember it being something like "a big supernatural rifts open up in the middle of <major city>, dark spirits leak out and possess people, and the possessed people are the vampires/werewolves/mages/wraiths/changelings."

Oh, and it tried to work Mage's freeform magic system into d20.

That sounds fairly win.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

01011001 posted:

One of the tricks to making something like that work is to take out any sort of temporary ability score boosters because otherwise you run into those exact kinds of problems.
And/or have more than one tier of success, so that "you need one more skill point SUCKS poo poo TO BE YOU" becomes "You needed one more skill point to get the good reward, have the OK tier reward instead" or "you needed one point more point to get the OK reward, but you're not too annoyed because it was only OK after all".

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
If I hadn't toxxed my account for something I'm bound to lose on, I'd be picking up the Diablo cover as a new av

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

If I hadn't toxxed my account for something I'm bound to lose on, I'd be picking up the Diablo cover as a new av

What did you even do?

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Bedlamdan posted:

What did you even do?

:bernget:

Outside the context of Trad Games.

But I am really morbidly curious to pick up those D2 books. I have no idea how they could have possibly translated the game into 3E. Looking into it more, there was a whole line in 2nd Edition as well :psyduck:

Diablo 2 "Fast Play D&D", fast play looks like some abomination between 2E and using nothing but D6s

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

But I am really morbidly curious to pick up those D2 books. I have no idea how they could have possibly translated the game into 3E. Looking into it more, there was a whole line in 2nd Edition as well :psyduck:

Diablo 2 "Fast Play D&D", fast play looks like some abomination between 2E and using nothing but D6s

I flipped through them in stores a million years ago and they were mostly just huge strings of random generators. Endless reams of "21: Flaming, 22: Frosty, 23: Lightningy, 24: Shiny"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Let's not forget:

I have no fondness for most of Blizzard's output, but it can't be understated how badly WotC squandered the licenses with boring and misconceived products.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

inklesspen posted:

Well, the forum as a whole will happily sell you a banner ad slot. If you meant just talking it up, that's fine too. Just be sure to disclose that you're here to tell us about your friend's game, as opposed to this completely new game which you happened across by accident on the internet.

Also you'll want to make sure the things you say about it are true and well-supported. For example, if you were to mention that the RPG has an innovative approach to character creation, it would be a good idea to explain what those innovations are (and make sure they haven't been done by 50 other games already).

Yeah, I just meant talking up something a friend made, there's no super convenient stumble upon coincidence here :shobon:.

I'm pretty bad at selling things, but, uh. A friend of mine made an RPG named Succession. It's rules-light (the pdf itself is thirteen pages long) based on John Harper's Ghost/Echo, and made to be GM-less. Very Dark Souls-y in tone. The only game I ever played of it was pretty fun, and I enjoyed the little system in play for making Quests. Plus, it's only three dollars.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

To be perfectly honest Gravy Train Robber, I have a hard time understanding people who bet their accounts for forums cred, or bother to come back after being banned u_u

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
:feelsgood:

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Let's not forget:

I have no fondness for most of Blizzard's output, but it can't be understated how badly WotC squandered the licenses with boring and misconceived products.

Blizzard hasn't had the best of luck with licensing out their stuff to other companies. The first people they had producing the WoW TCG were involved in like fraud, if I remember correctly, then they had to deal with Cryptozoic, they let things lapse with FFG right as board gaming began to really take off (I heard the Starcraft board game was actually pretty decent), and they've had a few other missteps.

And some genuinely odd choices for licensed products like BANG! Heroes of the Storm Edition

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

The cheap answer is: they didn't.

The longer answer is: very, very badly. Take, for example, the Amazon, a fighting class that has to use full-round actions to activate most of her powers, or the Paladin's prayer ability that takes a full-round action and heals 2, yes, 2 points of damage to himself and allies up to 5, yes, 5 feet away. It does make attempts to try and dumb things down all over the place, so it's almost like 4e where almost all class options and spells relate to combat, only it's full of trap options and those bad early ideas about balance (where "use clubs at +1" and "get free potions by searching corpses" are somehow equivalent). Also, weapon breakage, because that's the most important thing to emulate from Diablo. :v:

It's not as awful as Starcraft but it has the handwavey loosey-goosey design you see in most early 3e products. (And yes, 3.5 had it too, but to a far lesser extent.)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

At-will attacks powered by mana? I can dig it!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

the Paladin's prayer ability that takes a full-round action and heals 2, yes, 2 points of damage to himself and allies up to 5, yes, 5 feet away.

To be fair the actual Prayer Aura in the video game was not that much better :v:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Don't remember which of the two it was, but my group totally did one of those, and it was everything you imagine and more.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

Don't remember which of the two it was, but my group totally did one of those, and it was everything you imagine and more.

Details? Commentary?

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I like that it never dawned on anyone that making a clunky RPG version of the one of the first accessible multiplayer action RPGs was a bad idea. Kind of like the Everquest or World of Warcraft D20 games.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lmao yeah dude its a bad idea to make a low effort tie-in of a popular property that will give you a lot of sales for name recognition alone

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

To be fair the actual Prayer Aura in the video game was not that much better :v:

I suppose filling a game with awful trap options is pretty true to Diablo II, upon reflection.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Helical Nightmares posted:

Details? Commentary?
It's been many years and I remember the circumstances more than the campaign itself, really. We were coming off our very first D&D experience, and weirdly enough we beat the statistics on that by having a proper campaign with an ending and everything. Much of it was due to an experienced DM. In retrospect the whole thing was really groggy in many ways but, you know, first experience.

So after that one of the players wanted to try his hand at DMing and he was the flakiest of the bunch, nice guy but with no capacity to improvise or handle things not 100% according to RAW, and it was pretty much a disaster. I made a(nother) new character for the campaign and he tried to force an alignment change to Lawful on me first thing, because "I feel like you change characters too much". It was a bard. Old DM turned out to have glaring mental issues as a player, had a thing about his character underperforming even he was by far the most min/maxed of the bunch, and after a minor meltdown of his, we met once or twice more and then the whole thing fizzled. If you count that as part of the "first D&D experience" I guess that makes it fall back in line with most people's!

The actual game as far as I remember it was deathly boring and it didn't help that I had never played Diablo or been all that interested in it. "The man introduces himself as... Deckard Cain." - "Uh-huh...?"

e: we used our old characters in it, dunno if that was how you were supposed to do it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Looking at that Diablerie thing, some of the ideas came close: the Amazon can, as a full-round action, turn her arrow shot into a Fire Arrow for 1d6 extra damage.

Setting aside the actual amount of damage, she has a bunch of these (gasp) at-will powers. So does the Barbarian, so does the Paladin.

And then you get to the Necromancer and the Sorceress and instead of a similar lay-out where the Necromancer can pick between shooting a Bone Spear as a full-round action for 1d8 Shadow damage or inflicting poison damage with a melee touch attack, you instead get spells-per-day and having to pick spells out of a spellbook.

• Locked thread