Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

I've watched entire groups run up to kill Atomos because their DPS was slow as hell compared to the other parties, or because another group didn't have 4 people on a pad so they were doing no damage (the more common case). You don't have to sit 4+ people on a pad the entire time. Pretty sure it just goes by # of people alive in each section because even in the fights where a pad has less than 3 people for a good 5-10 seconds no Iron Giant ever spawns but if you run in with 3 or less people in one pathway the IG appears almost immediately.

wrooooooooooooooooong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

How much damage does the IG do, anyway?

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

vOv posted:

How much damage does the IG do, anyway?

9999, repeatedly, as a cleave, until everyone is dead.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Evil Fluffy posted:

Poetics should simply remain forever because there's still a big chunk of level 50 MSQ stuff you go through and while you get soldiery gear from running it, poetics lets you get better stuff to use in to the low-mid 50s when you enter Ishgard.

Yeah just doing the story trials and dungeons gets around 1300 Poetics, which can get you a few nice upgrades.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

^^^ Not all MMOs require you to enter credit card info when entering a box code. Maybe WoW does but I can't remember the last MMO I played that required it. Maybe Warhammer? Don't recall AoC requiring it but I try to remember as little about AoC as possible.

I know for sure back in the day WoW needed you to enter a credit card or time card to get the free 30 days. I remember this because kid me found it out after a 30-40 minute round bus trip from the store.

I recall Warhammer doing it too because I made sure to check after I made the mistake with WoW. :v: Pretty sure SWtOR did this too back when it was sub-only too.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

kharaa posted:

9999, repeatedly, as a cleave, until everyone is dead.

But is that the real amount of damage, or just displayed?

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

But is that the real amount of damage, or just displayed?
People have killed them before. The damage is tankable.

What's funny though is that if one dies, another immediately spawns.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
Yay

Also lol at the fat chocobo theme being called Big-Boned

Kithyen fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 24, 2015

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

sword_man.gif posted:

unsynced is undersized

Didn't they patch it so you can be a full party and unsynced about a month after release?

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
Ultimate endgame

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

The low polyness of those looks worse than I expected :(

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

nuru posted:

Didn't they patch it so you can be a full party and unsynced about a month after release?

Yes. Initially you could not but now you can.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

SirPhoebos posted:

Hey same here! I assume we were the same group last night-what's your IGN? (I'm My Immersion)

I haven't run Castrum or Praetorium since the MSQ-are they going to change it so that the queue gives Law or even Esoteric tomes?

We were. I was Meowy Bento, one of the WHMs.

Now it's time to take on Ravana Ex :unsmigghh:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I got my warrior to 60 yesterday and geared up. Today out of boredom I decided to dummy fight between PLD and WAR. Warrior is far and away better with aoe, but running maximum DPS combos for both in Sword Oath and Deliverance puts warrior at 130-150DPS better than an identically geared PLD on a single target. I didn't know the gulf was that large. Paladin definitely needs a big buff.

Also I tested around with using fracture to keep from clipping Goring Blade and it's a DPS loss at least via ACT.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 24, 2015

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

I got my warrior to 60 yesterday and geared up. Today out of boredom I decided to dummy fight between PLD and WAR. Warrior is far and away better with aoe, but running maximum DPS combos for both in Sword Oath and Deliverance puts warrior at over 100 DPS better than an identically geared PLD. I didn't know the gulf was that large. Paladin definitely needs a big buff.

Also I tested around with using fracture to keep from clipping Goring Blade and it's a DPS loss at least via ACT.

Huh, I would have expected fracture to fit into warrior rotation easily. Maybe dragoon can still use it effectively?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also Equilibrium is leagues better than Clemency. Same potency, but it's instant cast and costs nothing, and it restores TP if you don't need the heal. The only thing Clemency has going for it is that you can cast it on other people, but really, if you've reached the point where your main or off tank needs to heal other people, you've really hosed up.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

DolphinCop posted:

Huh, I would have expected fracture to fit into warrior rotation easily. Maybe dragoon can still use it effectively?

Fracture does fit in for a warrior. It's just not any good on PLD or DRG.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

DolphinCop posted:

Fracture hasn't been good on Dragoon since the rebalance in 2.1

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Mr. Nice! posted:

I got my warrior to 60 yesterday and geared up. Today out of boredom I decided to dummy fight between PLD and WAR. Warrior is far and away better with aoe, but running maximum DPS combos for both in Sword Oath and Deliverance puts warrior at 130-150DPS better than an identically geared PLD on a single target. I didn't know the gulf was that large. Paladin definitely needs a big buff.

Are you factoring slashing debuff?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

nuru posted:

Yes but people still call them undersized for some dumb reason. And I'm willing to be not everyone knows you don't have to take just 7 people.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the button to do the thing is labeled "undersized party", maybe they should change the name but that's why people call it that

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Eej posted:

Are you factoring slashing debuff?

I did not. However I just ran a couple of tests going straight path instead of eye and was still 40 DPS above the PLD.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

The only time I really fracture anymore is with that extra gcd after the third fell cleave in a berserk cycle, and even then only if whatever it is is going to be alive another 30 seconds. It really doesn't seem to be worth it otherwise, and at the very least I'm doing ridiculous DPS as it is so it can't be a huge difference, though if this could be confirmed or debunked by more hardcore theorycrafters I'd be interested in hearing it.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

SirPhoebos posted:

Hey same here! I assume we were the same group last night-what's your IGN? (I'm My Immersion)

I was the moron who didn't know Bismarck flings you into the abyss if you stay on his back in ex!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
It's really hard to get a fracture in a berserk cycle and still get three fell cleaves except as you said at the tail end. It's a 300 potency attack, so it's good to have in your rotation periodically, but it's definitely not something to sacrifice a fell cleave for.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Should I be using abyssal drain or emo flash to grab aggro in big groups? The first pull of Vault I usually get enough MP back with blood price that I can keep spamming DA abyssals and grab so much threat that I can just leave my computer for a minute, but generally that doesn't seem super helpful.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Seems weird that according to that ACT parse then 1 single tick of Goring Blade (2 possibly depending on your skill speed) would be more damage than the initial hit plus 8 ticks of fracture. Unless it was running out of TP sooner, I'm not sure how long that test parse ran for.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Male of the Century posted:

Seems weird that according to that ACT parse then 1 single tick of Goring Blade (2 possibly depending on your skill speed) would be more damage than the initial hit plus 8 ticks of fracture. Unless it was running out of TP sooner, I'm not sure how long that test parse ran for.

You also have to factor in that you're not doing your other combos as frequently, especially Royal Authority. Getting 2 RAs every 25 seconds rather than 22.5 is a pretty significant loss.

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
Its got nothing to do with the single tick of goring. It's all about average potency of GCDs. Fracture is 220 total potency for non WAR and the halone combo is slightly below 220. Goring and royal authority are above an average of 220. This means when you fracture you are delaying 3 GCDs that will each average out to more damage than fracture.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

It's really hard to get a fracture in a berserk cycle and still get three fell cleaves except as you said at the tail end. It's a 300 potency attack, so it's good to have in your rotation periodically, but it's definitely not something to sacrifice a fell cleave for.

4+ stacks, have maim/eye up -> Heavy swing -> Berserk -> Internal Release -> Fell Cleave -> Infuriate -> Fell Cleave -> Maim -> Vengance -> Storm's Eye -> that front parry buff I forget the name of offhand -> Heavy Swing -> Skull Sunder -> Fell Cleave -> 1 more GCD, either for Butcher's Block or Fracture

With Selene's buff at just the right time I've had just enough skill speed to squeeze in a second GCD but this has only happened maybe 3 times, but who knows what might happen when more skill speed is available?

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Boten Anna posted:

The only time I really fracture anymore is with that extra gcd after the third fell cleave in a berserk cycle, and even then only if whatever it is is going to be alive another 30 seconds. It really doesn't seem to be worth it otherwise, and at the very least I'm doing ridiculous DPS as it is so it can't be a huge difference, though if this could be confirmed or debunked by more hardcore theorycrafters I'd be interested in hearing it.

Fracture is 300 potency for a gcd, higher than every other warrior attack with the exception of IB (same potency) and Fell Cleave (500). BB combo is 210 potency per gcd, Eye is 203, and Path is 197. This bit of napkin math puts Fracture at approximately 30% better than any other gcd in a standard rotation with the exception of Fell Cleave.

Now, this isn't perfectly accurate because it doesn't take into account stack generation or slashing debuff. Stacks can theoretically be considered as 100p, since you need 5 to get a Fell Cleave off. This increases each combo by 200p total, or 67p per gcd; BB is now 277p/gcd, eye is 270, and Path is 264. If you're in Defiance, the stack value is reduced to 60, or 120p per combo.

Factoring in the Debuff, we can increase the initial hit of each attack by 20%. BB combo becomes 252(direct attacks) + 67(stack), = 319, Eye becomes 244 + 67 = 311, and Path is 303. However, the initial hit of Fracture is increased by 20% as well, increasing the total potency of the Fracture GCD to 320.

tl;dr: Fracture is very marginally worth it in Deliverance and worth it in Defiance assuming you have TP and the dot will tick for all 8 hits.

:negative:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The slashing debuff is only 10%, unless I'm missing something.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Boten Anna posted:

4+ stacks, have maim/eye up -> Heavy swing -> Berserk -> Internal Release -> Fell Cleave -> Infuriate -> Fell Cleave -> Maim -> Vengance -> Storm's Eye -> that front parry buff I forget the name of offhand -> Heavy Swing -> Skull Sunder -> Fell Cleave -> 1 more GCD, either for Butcher's Block or Fracture

With Selene's buff at just the right time I've had just enough skill speed to squeeze in a second GCD but this has only happened maybe 3 times, but who knows what might happen when more skill speed is available?

I normally don't hit both Vengeance and Raw Intuition and just hit my third fell cleave after Butcher's Block. I've experimented around with doing it like you said, but I think the best spot for fracture is at the tail end. The lowest I can get right now is a 2.42 second GCD and that isn't quite fast enough. I think with a 2.4 you can sneak it in. Going to have to experiment more with it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Fister Roboto posted:

Yes. The healing reduction buff from eye is 20%.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Fister Roboto posted:

Ah you're right, I misread the 20% healing down as 20% healing down and damage up.

That puts Fracture as 310, BB combo at 298, Eye as 289, and Path at 283.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

I normally don't hit both Vengeance and Raw Intuition and just hit my third fell cleave after Butcher's Block. I've experimented around with doing it like you said, but I think the best spot for fracture is at the tail end. The lowest I can get right now is a 2.42 second GCD and that isn't quite fast enough. I think with a 2.4 you can sneak it in. Going to have to experiment more with it.

At worst, Raw Intuition comes off cooldown just in time to be used again so unless you're main tanking a huge pack why not hit it also why are you single targeting a huge pack (ok maybe you're in A2S haven't done it yet so not sure if you would for some reason.) Sometimes you need to save Vengeance for a thing but not really on like any of the casual content so far and in A1S I figured out the timing to use it in an opener berserk cycle* where it's kind of necessary because that what'sitcalled AOE move that puts poison on the ground takes a GCD from the end of the berserk cycle, so it's either pop both or no third Fell Cleave (and who wants that?)

I don't really go in with a "sick opener" like I see some WARs do though, as it seems way better to build up four stacks then blow everything in a triple roided fell cleave berserk cycle rather than running in with berserk/infuriate/IR/whatever.

*And that timing, since A1S is on a clock, is to immediately open with maim/path combos, then set up/start triple fell cleave, hitting Vengance right after the second Fell Cleave. Should have several seconds to spare on the Vengeance clock before the tankbuster later.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

bonewitch posted:

Ah you're right, I misread the 20% healing down as 20% healing down and damage up.

That puts Fracture as 310, BB combo at 298, Eye as 289, and Path at 283.

Another problem with your analysis is that you're adding 2/5 of FC's potency to each combo but not 2/5 of its GCD, since you still need to actually use FC for it to matter. That makes BB more like 268 potency/gcd (divide by 3.4 instead of 3).

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Boten Anna posted:

At worst, Raw Intuition comes off cooldown just in time to be used again so unless you're main tanking a huge pack why not hit it also why are you single targeting a huge pack (ok maybe you're in A2S haven't done it yet so not sure if you would for some reason.) Sometimes you need to save Vengeance for a thing but not really on like any of the casual content so far and in A1S I figured out the timing to use it in an opener berserk cycle* where it's kind of necessary because that what'sitcalled AOE move that puts poison on the ground takes a GCD from the end of the berserk cycle, so it's either pop both or no third Fell Cleave (and who wants that?)

I don't really go in with a "sick opener" like I see some WARs do though, as it seems way better to build up four stacks then blow everything in a triple roided fell cleave berserk cycle rather than running in with berserk/infuriate/IR/whatever.

*And that timing, since A1S is on a clock, is to immediately open with maim/path combos, then set up/start triple fell cleave, hitting Vengance right after the second Fell Cleave. Should have several seconds to spare on the Vengeance clock before the tankbuster later.

Anyone that pops a bunch of cooldowns pre-pull is stupid. And usually I'm saving vengeance in case I need the damage reduction.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

Anyone that pops a bunch of cooldowns pre-pull is stupid. And usually I'm saving vengeance in case I need the damage reduction.
so you're classifying the basic openers of all the DPS classes stupid then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ilifinicus posted:

so you're classifying the basic openers of all the DPS classes stupid then

I'm talking about the guys that pop four to five cooldowns before they even pull. I personally hit battle litany right at the pull for the rest of the group, but it's stupid to hit multiple things pre-pull. You lose out on some of their effectiveness.

• Locked thread