Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

MonsieurChoc posted:

I think you're wrong. Even Demon, with it's Kaleidoscope approach, still had the layers all vanished by modern times and Earth and Humanity at the center of it all. It's pretty explicit about that too. In Werewolf, it's pretty explicit that there's nothing outside the Solar System except the weird Deep Umbra, and Mage doesn't actually contradict that despite the existence of the Void Engineers: all the weird stuff from outside of Earth is eventually given an origin on Earth, from the weird cthonic beings to the Ziggraugglurr and the Ka'Luon.

That's backwards. It all vanished by modern times to leave a universe in which Earth and Humanity weren't the center of it all. That's why, like, atheists were capable of existing in the oWoD. Unless they actually saw a ghost with their own eyes, they could perform the same science experiments and point telescopes at the same distant places as we can in the real world. Even "Earth" and "Humanity" could be taken as referring to sapient life everywhere, or whatever - wouldn't God love the Arcturans, too?

"There's nothing outside the Solar System except the weird Deep Umbra" is perfectly homologous with There's nothing outside the Solar System except the weird Outer Space."

quote:

As for cosmic nWoD being just as humanocentric, I don't see it. It's written from a human perspective, because we are humans reading it and playing it, but that applies to everything else ever written.

You'll have a much harder time proving that anything of supernatural import exists outside the lunar sphere in nWoD than you would in the oWoD. On top of that, oWoD humans generally have cosmos-affecting stuff done to them or piled on their shoulders; nWoD humans wreck poo poo completely on their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Ferrinus posted:

That's backwards. It all vanished by modern times to leave a universe in which Earth and Humanity weren't the center of it all. That's why, like, atheists were capable of existing in the oWoD. Unless they actually saw a ghost with their own eyes, they could perform the same science experiments and point telescopes at the same distant places as we can in the real world. Even "Earth" and "Humanity" could be taken as referring to sapient life everywhere, or whatever - wouldn't God love the Arcturans, too?

"There's nothing outside the Solar System except the weird Deep Umbra" is perfectly homologous with There's nothing outside the Solar System except the weird Outer Space."

Except the Deep Umbra is shown to be just a place where all kind of weird stuff exist on the boundaires of the oWoD universe. It's not infinite, and is in fact quite (cosmoligcally) small.

Pretty much all the Apocalypse scenarios are based on these facts, and a couple of the other end of the world ones too. The fact that they included some token efforts to try to make the universe seem like our own and then undermined them all later doesn't change that.

Attorney at Funk posted:

Even taking all of your factual claims as given, it simply doesn't follow that a world whose cosmology makes reference to the story-venue posits a smaller or less frightening world than one whose cosmology is relevant to the story-venue but also vague.

That's a matter of opinion, I think. I feel that a smaller world where humanity is super special awesome is inherently less frigthening than one where this isn't the case.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

MonsieurChoc posted:

That's a matter of opinion, I think. I feel that a smaller world where humanity is super special awesome is inherently less frigthening than one where this isn't the case.

Why?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

MonsieurChoc posted:

Except the Deep Umbra is shown to be just a place where all kind of weird stuff exist on the boundaires of the oWoD universe. It's not infinite, and is in fact quite (cosmoligcally) small.

Pretty much all the Apocalypse scenarios are based on these facts, and a couple of the other end of the world ones too. The fact that they included some token efforts to try to make the universe seem like our own and then undermined them all later doesn't change that.

Deep space is also not infinite, and pretty much a place where weird stuff exists on the boundaries of our world. People (here I include both humans and humanlike monsters) experience the world the same way in either setting, and indeed in the same way you and I do and quite possibly that every human who'll ever live ever will.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Well, to me, that's pretty simple: What'S scarier, the known or the unknown? Being on top or being on the bottom? Being powerful or powerless?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Well, to me, that's pretty simple: What'S scarier, the known or the unknown? Being on top or being on the bottom? Being powerful or powerless?

None of those things are rendered true or false by a significant position in the cosmology, though. People in the oWoD aren't actually demonstrably more powerful or special or influential on an individual scale than they are in the nWoD. Rhe idea that we're less "on the bottom" in the oWoD, a setting with a much more conscious and explicit anti-authoritarian throughline, borders on farcical.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Remember when you had a good hearty lol at the idea that you were some bland Lovecraft poseur, and then the joke turned out to be that those guys actually have a more interesting vision of horror than you do

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Knowing that God is real and doesn't give a poo poo about you is probably scarier than wondering.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

MonsieurChoc posted:

2001: A Space Odyssey is scarier than Psycho?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I'm enjoying this argument because it isn't about Mage :allears:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Gilok posted:

Don't you jinx this by even mentioning That Game. :ssh:

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

New England's Puritans had a very strict, well-understood cosmic order. They knew they were special, that Almighty God was protecting the righteous, and that they would live eternally no matter what was done to them. They were infinitely more afraid of The Woods than most modern Americans.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Zarick posted:

Knowing that God is real and doesn't give a poo poo about you is probably scarier than wondering.

Yeah, but that's not the position the oWoD took. Except if you're a Demon. The oWoD was full of rah-rah-go-Humanity stuff.

But whatever. I can see the usual "let's argue for the sake of arguing" internet effect is already there, so whatever, I'm dropping it.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

MonsieurChoc posted:

The oWoD was full of rah-rah-go-Humanity stuff.

No it wasn't.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Ferrinus posted:

No it wasn't.

Yeah, uh, oWoD was hilariously misanthropic, even if it was anthropocentric, but this argument's been going in circles since I went to bed last night, it seems.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Daeren posted:

Yeah, uh, oWoD was hilariously misanthropic, even if it was anthropocentric, but this argument's been going in circles since I went to bed last night, it seems.

when you have two points only one of which is going anywhere, typically you end up with a circle, yes

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Attorney at Funk posted:

when you have two points only one of which is going anywhere, typically you end up with a circle, yes

makes u think

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Gilok posted:

A Mysterium mage would make a good defense attorney because its all about hiding evidence and facts.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Ferrinus posted:

And there are a few MtAs sources that treat the two as virtually synonymous, like the grey aliens rode who their flying saucers to Earth from the Deep Umbra.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Werewolf's fixed Umbral realms (Malfeas, et al) aren't in the Deep Umbra, they're in the Middle Umbra. Werewolf doesn't really ever touch on the Deep Umbra because it's all but irrelevant to Werewolf's cosmology and conflicts, and Mage rarely references Werewolf's realms for essentially the same reason.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

gtrmp posted:

And there are a few MtAs sources that treat the two as virtually synonymous, like the grey aliens rode who their flying saucers to Earth from the Deep Umbra.

Those dudes got retconned, actually, they're the evil mutant reflection of the Void Engineers to go with all the other Negative Zone Technocrats. So they're humans mutated by being trapped in the Avatar Storm.

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me

Mors Rattus posted:

Those dudes got retconned, actually, they're the evil mutant reflection of the Void Engineers to go with all the other Negative Zone Technocrats. So they're humans mutated by being trapped in the Avatar Storm.
Wait I thought the Void Engineers convention book specifically went out of their way to emphasize that there were no warped versions of them, and that this was scary to them because it suggested possibly awareness to avoid them, or that it would make them look even more suspicious than they already do to everybody else. Did something else contradict that, or did I misread it?

Edit: Also minor thing, but it wasn't the avatar storm itself that did the warping, it's just something that happens in the oWoD Umbra, called acclimatisation iirc. The longer you spend in the umbra, the more spirit-like you become. It's possible to ward against it, and some paradigms/individuals seem more susceptible than others, but anyone spending more than 3 months in the umbra without protection becomes a spirit of themselves or whatever they believe. That's why the Technocracy rotated staff between "deep space" installations, and why Mages didn't spend all their time loving about there.
Thinking of it, it was probably a Revised-era change, in order to cut down on the Wacky Umbral Adventures side of Mage, maybe?

Sorry for swinging chat back to mage.

Ambi fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Aug 25, 2015

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

IIRC it's a new Mage20 change/reveal.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

Ambi posted:

Sorry for swinging chat back to mage.

It always gets there anyway. I wonder why that is. What the hell is it about Mage?

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

It always gets there anyway. I wonder why that is. What the hell is it about Mage?

Daeren posted:

And thus we come full circle back to oMage, the infinite, bloated ouroboros at the center of the RPG world.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Well, Mage is really cool, is the main thing.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

It's a game so extremely confused to its purpose or premise that, given enough sourcebooks, it confirms to whatever preconceived interpretation the reader wants.

Then two different readers meet, and have arguments.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's a game so extremely confused to its purpose or premise that, given enough sourcebooks, it confirms to whatever preconceived interpretation the reader wants.

Then two different readers meet, and have arguments.
Premise: yer a wizard harry
purpose: gently caress yeah be a wizard!

It's that simple. The problem (in and out of character) is when two+ wizards disagree about how to be wizards best.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

No, it's not about being a wizard, I read Guide to the Technocracy, it's about fulfilling humanity's potential with awesome science.*
* I super don't care save to provide an example of how easy it is to start this sort of fire.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The wallpaper...must be green.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

I really wish I was better at not being an rear end in a top hat and letting my games die on here. I can manage them IRL, but online I don't seem to be able to. I feel like a total dick over it.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Loomer posted:

I really wish I was better at not being an rear end in a top hat and letting my games die on here. I can manage them IRL, but online I don't seem to be able to. I feel like a total dick over it.

I can do online but only if it's fixed-time chat/skype/whatever games. Roll20 good, pbp bad. I have no idea why :(

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Alien Rope Burn posted:

No, it's not about being a wizard, I read Guide to the Technocracy, it's about fulfilling humanity's potential with awesome science.*
* I super don't care save to provide an example of how easy it is to start this sort of fire.

It has the potential to be many things to many people, often quite different depending on the person, just like magic. Perhaps each argument brings us closer to Atlantis.

Or maybe that's just the drowning sensation I get from reading them.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

spectralent posted:

I can do online but only if it's fixed-time chat/skype/whatever games. Roll20 good, pbp bad. I have no idea why :(

Play by post is a really bad format, honestly. It's way too easy to lose track and get bogged down with it- Roll20 owns.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Kavak posted:

Play by post is a really bad format, honestly. It's way too easy to lose track and get bogged down with it- Roll20 owns.

The problem PbP runs into is when two (or more!) characters want to actually have an in-character conversation and then uh-oh everything's ground to a halt.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm surprised there isn't a WoD game based on being a writer, director, (or game designer?) based on how frequently those occupations get involved with the supernatural in horror.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

bewilderment posted:

The problem PbP runs into is when two (or more!) characters want to actually have an in-character conversation and then uh-oh everything's ground to a halt.

This's basically why I've always struggled with freeform, particularly. To my mind, good IC convos go like this:

Bob: "It's a pity that Baron Bloodfang's eating everyone"
Janet: "Baron Bloodfang is a fine citizen and you are satan"
Bob: "I may be satan but this has nothing to do with the cannibalism going on"
Janet: "But do demons not eat people?"
Bob: "A common misconception, we only eat souls"
etc etc

Whereas freeform always seems to exist in this space where you type up like 300-500 word posts, and either you throw loads of unnecessary padding or have everyone monologue at each other, and it reads really weird to me.

With RP PbP the issue runs deeper, IMO, since any point of interaction slows things down, including combat, skill use, social scenes, investigations...

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

moths posted:

I'm surprised there isn't a WoD game based on being a writer, director, (or game designer?) based on how frequently those occupations get involved with the supernatural in horror.

I've always thought a Hunter game built around a reality TV show like Mountain Monsters actually finding real monsters would be awesome.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Loomer posted:

I've always thought a Hunter game built around a reality TV show like Mountain Monsters actually finding real monsters would be awesome.

Basically that one quest in Bloodlines expanded to a whole scenario/campaign? Sounds great.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Loomer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSZZKw8g3UI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That new oWoD ghosthunters book is coming, right?