Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

PerrineClostermann posted:

I've finally fully-upgraded my New York, and I feel like I have a BB that can somewhat reliably citadel cruisers. Is there a set of guides or resources that tell you where to shoot ships? Coming from Tanks, it's really weird not knowing where to shoot/aim.

I made a small tutorial on aiming with battleships against cruisers at mid tier. I dont know how well it works with Japanese BB but its pretty good for US ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

quote:

World of Warships - 0.4.1 patch release

Greetings Captains!

We are happy to announce the release of the 0.4.1 update for World of Warships.

The World of Warships servers will be unavailable on 27/08/2015 from 03:00 to 04:30 UTC due to this update.

Thank you for your understanding and patience.

Action Stations!

Your Customer Service Team
Well, its coming sooner than I thought. Can't wait!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Hazdoc posted:

How surprising. Of the top 10 boats with the highest win rates, 6 of them are CVs. The top 12 survival rates are CVs. I'll say nothing more on the matter.

Of course CVs are going to have the highest survival rates, they're ships meant to be played as far away from the gun battles as possible because they can't defend themselves, and this is a game where every battle mode has capture the point as a method of victory.

inkwell
Dec 9, 2005

Hazdoc posted:

Well, its coming sooner than I thought. Can't wait!

Do they have detailed patch notes out yet?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

NTRabbit posted:

Of course CVs are going to have the highest survival rates, they're ships meant to be played as far away from the gun battles as possible because they can't defend themselves, and this is a game where every battle mode has capture the point as a method of victory.

I would be fine with that, but that, coupled with their high average damage, high win rates, etc... you don't see a pattern?

inkwell posted:

Do they have detailed patch notes out yet?

Not yet.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Hazdoc posted:

I would be fine with that, but that, coupled with their high average damage, high win rates, etc... you don't see a pattern?

Yea it's as if they don't want us to bother playing anything else. Only they made carrier boring as gently caress to play.
Might be better with the CV vs CV rebalance patch as it is still CV > all.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Getting rid of the ability to drop torps 5 feet from your ship would help.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Are they nerfing the Myoko? I just got it :( and it doesn't seem OP.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

PirateBob posted:

Are they nerfing the Myoko? I just got it :( and it doesn't seem OP.

It isn't OP but it has better guns than the lackluster Ibuki and must therefore be nerfed.
:wargaming:

Stats on AA DPS:

Krogort fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Aug 24, 2015

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Regarde Aduck posted:

Seriously. I had a dude flying two torp wings on top of each other. He just went around dropping 12 torps at point blank range on everything. If you didn't make a nice AA ball, there's literally nothing you can do to stop being one-shot.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Regarde Aduck posted:

I was in my Arkansas Beta and using an island for what I thought was cover, thinking that they cant launch from the island side, they'll have to fly around and launch from seaward. Nope; :wargaming:. The CV driver dropped his torpedoes in like the 20 feet of water between my BB and the island, giving me 2 or 3 hits.

inkwell
Dec 9, 2005

MoraleHazard posted:

I was in my Arkansas Beta and using an island for what I thought was cover, thinking that they cant launch from the island side, they'll have to fly around and launch from seaward. Nope; :wargaming:. The CV driver dropped his torpedoes in like the 20 feet of water between my BB and the island, giving me 2 or 3 hits.

Well, using an island as cover is kinda silly since it restricts your range of freedom of maneuver. Putting off a torp bomber squadron requires a fair amount of effort, but it can be done. You need your speed up and you need to be paying that torp bomber squad your undivided attention (as the CV pilot is doing likewise, microing that manual drop).

The only real counter to torp bombers though is to hope your team has a carrier with fighters that is actually keeping the fighters as air cover for your BB stack.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Your application is still bugged Sporks. :(

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Maybe if the Japanese used their ace Zero fighter planes to spot DDs at cap points, the Pacific Theatre would have ended differently.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So I was looking at the plans for the future tech trees and I stumbled across the N-3 class battleship.
3x3 18" main battery, 16x2 6" secondary. I look forward to it (in late 2016).

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Hazdoc posted:

So a game that is trying to at least semi-realistically model WW2 era naval battles has aircraft carriers as the top dogs?

How did Wargaming get so close to this kind of accuracy?

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
How big is a mini map square in KM?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Foxtrot_13 posted:

So a game that is trying to at least semi-realistically model WW2 era naval battles has aircraft carriers as the top dogs?

How did Wargaming get so close to this kind of accuracy?

I mean if they want historical accuracy, they'd be spot on. Except for the whole arbitrary point where ships blow up, no ammo limit on ships, no worries about operational range, crew, etc. So, barring this being a historical recreation, some balance would be nice.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

TSBX posted:

How big is a mini map square in KM?

roughly 4km.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Hazdoc posted:

I mean if they want historical accuracy, they'd be spot on. Except for the whole arbitrary point where ships blow up, no ammo limit on ships, no worries about operational range, crew, etc. So, barring this being a historical recreation, some balance would be nice.

Not to mention Battleship = Cruiser = Destroyer in term of power.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Hazdoc posted:

I don't get the argument that a game shouldn't be balanced for historical reasons when it is a game played for fun either, but at least ships blowing up is not arbitrary speaking from a historical viewpoint.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Junkozeyne posted:

I don't get the argument that a game shouldn't be balanced for historical reasons when it is a game played for fun either, but at least ships blowing up is not arbitrary speaking from a historical viewpoint.

Yeah, I'm just mentioning how ships blow up when their HP hits zero, not taking into account what shell did that last hit, be it a dinky HE shell hitting the top of a battleships superstructure that's already burnt to a crisp from multiple fires before, or a carrier being able to eat 5 torpedoes and keep operating as if nothing is wrong. Also, how one of the ship's HP pools can run out, causing an amusing situation where you drain the bow of the ship of HP, then hit the bow with 20 torpedoes, none of which do any damage.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Hazdoc posted:

Yeah, I'm just mentioning how ships blow up when their HP hits zero, not taking into account what shell did that last hit, be it a dinky HE shell hitting the top of a battleships superstructure that's already burnt to a crisp from multiple fires before, or a carrier being able to eat 5 torpedoes and keep operating as if nothing is wrong. Also, how one of the ship's HP pools can run out, causing an amusing situation where you drain the bow of the ship of HP, then hit the bow with 20 torpedoes, none of which do any damage.

About the last, ships have actually gotten their bows shot entirely off and survived.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

xthetenth posted:

About the last, ships have actually gotten their bows shot entirely off and survived.

I'm sure they weren't very combat capable afterwards, though. Though if they were, that'd be pretty badass.
Though the same thing can be applied to the stern, the midsection, or the superstructure. The torpedo example doesn't work in the midsection (or superstructure for obvious reasons, FLYING TORPEDOES), though, as the midsection always takes a specific percentage of damage from torpedoes, equal to the ship's torpedo defense. Taking a bunch of 16 inch shells (that don't citadel, as those always do damage), though...

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 24, 2015

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

wdarkk posted:

Your application is still bugged Sporks. :(

I opened a ticket on Saturday but nothing from support yet. Meanwhile I can still add new members.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
World of Warships: You might see me in the straits but nigga you dont know me.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Servicio en Espanol posted:

I didn't care for the Cleveland because it felt like the shells were basically being lobbed underhanded.

They are actually true to reality, I looked up the gun specs and did the math and they are actually that slow in real life...

inkwell
Dec 9, 2005

Washout posted:

They are actually true to reality, I looked up the gun specs and did the math and they are actually that slow in real life...

I don't have the Cleveland yet, but one thing i know is that almost all of the guns in this game have way too high shell velocity. A simple look at the time of flight calculations on the in game hud will show you many of the guns with flatter trajectories are travelling at speeds approaching 2 km/s. That's around double what they should be doing. As for the cleveland's its possible that they are relatively slower than the other ingame guns, but in fact they are proboably way too fast like most others in absolute terms.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

inkwell posted:

I don't have the Cleveland yet, but one thing i know is that almost all of the guns in this game have way too high shell velocity. A simple look at the time of flight calculations on the in game hud will show you many of the guns with flatter trajectories are travelling at speeds approaching 2 km/s. That's around double what they should be doing. As for the cleveland's its possible that they are relatively slower than the other ingame guns, but in fact they are proboably way too fast like most others in absolute terms.

The scale of the game is deliberately off so that it's more fun than firing 20 salvoes with over 1 minute flight time before landing the first hit of an hour long engagement.

And honestly, while I hate going against Clevelands since I seem to be permanently on fire and losing 3k HP every 6 seconds to HE shells, when I'm trying to use mine at more than about 8km range my accuracy is pathetic.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

At what tier does it actually become cost-effective to pick up the upgrades on ships? I'm feeling like it's around tier 5, but half a million credits still seems like a lot for some reason. Is there a consensus as to which ones are must have or idiot traps or anything?

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Ones to take are reduced engine damage chance on destroyers (and reduced detection range when you get it), accuracy on IJN BBs, and it's usually a good idea to get AA gun range on cruisers. Optionally secondary gun range on Nagato onwards. Never take the spotting upgrade because all it does is let you visually see enemies that others have spotted but are outside of your range. I don't think anything else makes enough difference to be a must have. Bear in mind the turret turn speed one is double edged as it reduces your RoF.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
The one that reduces the main battery chance for critical damage also reduces your chance of getting detonated. At T5+, many ships have the option of getting the mod that increases your main battery's accuracy (for US BBs, this is range instead). The upgrade that reduces rudder shift time is very good, or you can forgo it and take the damage control mods that reduce the chance of fire/flooding, and the duration of those DoTs. The concealment mod at T8+ is very pricey, but absolutely necessary on DDs, and at T9 you get the OTHER DPS styled mod for ships, which is also good.

Basically, splurge on mods if you want an edge and can stomach the credit cost. They resell fairly ok with the ship once you're done, but so long as you're grinding the ship, you get the bonus, which is nice. Be aware that a lot of people will be buying them too, so you may be playing catch up if you don't spend the credits.

Don't take the mod that increases your turret traverse speed, as it also "increases reload time", which actually means, it increases how LONG it takes for your guns to reload, an effective nerf to your firing speed. The module that decreases your turret traverse speed INCREASES your firing rate, on the flip side, but that one is only available at T9, I believe.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Wait, that mod INCREASES reload time?

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
so the Aoba is so much fun at citadeling everything in sight.

However, gently caress the cleveland forever.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Kinetica posted:

so the Aoba is so much fun at citadeling everything in sight.

However, gently caress the cleveland forever.

The Aoba is great at everything until a Cleveland or 2 Omahas show up. The turret rotation speed really becomes an issue when trying to dodge an orange wall every 8 seconds.

inkwell posted:

Well, using an island as cover is kinda silly since it restricts your range of freedom of maneuver. Putting off a torp bomber squadron requires a fair amount of effort, but it can be done. You need your speed up and you need to be paying that torp bomber squad your undivided attention (as the CV pilot is doing likewise, microing that manual drop).

The only real counter to torp bombers though is to hope your team has a carrier with fighters that is actually keeping the fighters as air cover for your BB stack.

Problem with having to focus on bombers is that while a carrier pilot is doing that, he generally doesn't have to worry about other things. Any other ship has a lot of other things to deal with.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Night10194 posted:

Wait, that mod INCREASES reload time?

Yes.
AKA, don't take it, unless you like slower firing, faster turning guns.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hazdoc posted:

Yes.
AKA, don't take it, unless you like slower firing, faster turning guns.

Well, gently caress. Time to remove it from everything I put it on.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
EDIT: Reading is really, really hard.

TSBX fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 25, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It IS there, it says +10% Loading Time, but you think 'Oh, +, this must be a bonus.'

Jokes on them, I'm not paying them poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
When removing a mod, you have to right click it to get the option to destroy the mod. You cannot sell mods unless they are being sold along with your ship (when selling your ship, select the "Sell" instead of "Demount" option).