Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Steam's saying August 31st, but both can be technically correct if this is midnight release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

ShootaBoy posted:

#steamgoons brings you a little over an hour of gameplay.

One of these streams finally downs a convoy and they don't collect the ornament? :mediocre:

Mokinokaro posted:

The only game Denuvo caused issues in was Lords of the Fallen and that was 50% the games lovely coding

Arkham Knight's suffering is often stated to be from a combination of terrible port job and Denuvo, too.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So it looks like your car never actually explodes and can always be repaired. That's different to most games, except maybe like, Arkham Knight or something; lots of games like this, you just grab whatever car you can. Think I even saw a bit where he expended some scrap to have Chumbucket repair it while it was still rolling.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Speedball posted:

So it looks like your car never actually explodes and can always be repaired. That's different to most games, except maybe like, Arkham Knight or something; lots of games like this, you just grab whatever car you can. Think I even saw a bit where he expended some scrap to have Chumbucket repair it while it was still rolling.

Yeah, you just get dumped out if it takes too much damage. You can only really die on foot.

(Or if a storm just blows the car up. They can do that.)

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
Yeah there's an option where you can repair your car instantly (not sure if fully repair or not) for the cost of scrap. Which from what I've seen will be useful in chasing down convoys :v:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Speedball posted:

So when you car runs out of health a timer pops up, five seconds, you get out of the car or you die. It does explode in that situation. If you get out of the car in time, Chumbucket will start repairing it for no scrap cost while it sits still. You also have the Quick Repair option, which scales in scrap cost with damage amount, which like you said can be used while moving. Stuff can prevent you from getting out of the car, like getting rammed by enemy cars or having sufficient momentum when it starts to explode, but otherwise you can pretty much always just get out and repair it.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Capn Beeb posted:

One of these streams finally downs a convoy and they don't collect the ornament? :mediocre:

They go back and get it eventually.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
So shiny, very chrome.

Also that video had a top difficulty level camp and holy poo poo there were a lot of enemies inside :stare:

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
The game looks way too fast compared to the movie, and actual cars.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
When you stab a guy with a shiv and he survives you can actually see the shiv sticking out of him, attention to detail :allears:

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I really still hope nitro makes everyone around you slower and for time to speed up so it just looks like you are fast.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PAiwOUl6Dg

Another 1h 30min video from StreamCoco.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I dig how Max's getup is a mixture of old and new. It seems mostly inspired by The Road Warrior, with the tighter leather and zipped up jacket, but he's also got that white cotton undershirt and green paracord bracelet from Fury Road.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Doesn't Max get better equipment as the game goes on? I remember it from somewhere.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Fat Samurai posted:

Doesn't Max get better equipment as the game goes on? I remember it from somewhere.

Yeah you can see in the most recent videos you can kit him out with tactical gear and poo poo. Also beards.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Gonna play as start of Thunderdome Max with that beard

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Glorious mullet-mane.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Fat Samurai posted:

Some are unlocked by leveling up your legend and then having enough scrap for it, other parts like enemy car hood ornaments are unlocked by either destroying their cars or hopefully bringing some back and scraping them at a base if that's possible.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

tehsid posted:

Ha, "Punch people with the fist of your car" is a good way to describe this game. Pretty cool that the developers also have pre-made templates for the car for people that don't want to figure out what kind of car to drive.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
The more I see of this game the more I want to play it. Hopefully the soundtrack will be similar to Fury Road or I'll just have to play Brothers in Arms on the background while chasing down enemy convoys.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Meta-Mollusk posted:

The more I see of this game the more I want to play it. Hopefully the soundtrack will be similar to Fury Road or I'll just have to play Brothers in Arms on the background while chasing down enemy convoys.

Same, I was going to pick between this or MGS V but now they're both day one buys, barring an outpouring of bad reviews.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Fat Samurai posted:

Also a rad hobo beard.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

tehsid posted:

Had to put this on mute like five minutes in. Didn't stop me from getting the game, though. One thing that I would like to see if it is indeed an option, is to action hijack cars and stuff, Sleeping Dogs style. Something tells me they possibly removed it as a "stop convoy button". I'm hoping that's not the case.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Pretty sure you just drive your car. This is more like interstate 76: mad Max edition than GTA

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah you can get other cars but they seem to be rewards, not stuff you steal.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Joe Gillian posted:

Had to put this on mute like five minutes in. Didn't stop me from getting the game, though. One thing that I would like to see if it is indeed an option, is to action hijack cars and stuff, Sleeping Dogs style. Something tells me they possibly removed it as a "stop convoy button". I'm hoping that's not the case.

I have no idea if that is in the game but if it is it's probably a later upgrade and you'd have to take out everyone bar the driver in the target car with your extremely limited shotgun shells.

echronorian posted:

Pretty sure you just drive your car. This is more like interstate 76: mad Max edition than GTA

Nah you can drive other cars, if you take the guy out without blowing it up. You get scrap for taking them to a stronghold or there's an upgrade you can buy that makes dudes recover all wrecked/empty cars in the area around their stronghold and you get the scrap. They are probably lovely compared to the main car and don't have chumbucket to repair them for you though (he sticks in the main car and brings it to you if you need it).

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

No biggie, I can easily see it breaking the pace of some of the more involving road battles. The ability to handicap the enemy rather easily by removing a tire seems like a nice tradeoff. I am a bit disappointed by the lack of motorcycles, but I imagine that was a balancing nightmare for them to try and implement.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

thebardyspoon posted:

They are probably lovely compared to the main car and don't have chumbucket to repair them for you though (he sticks in the main car and brings it to you if you need it).

I see them as preconfigured versions of the main car. You also use them in some missions/activities.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

thebardyspoon posted:

Nah you can drive other cars, if you take the guy out without blowing it up. You get scrap for taking them to a stronghold or there's an upgrade you can buy that makes dudes recover all wrecked/empty cars in the area around their stronghold and you get the scrap. They are probably lovely compared to the main car and don't have chumbucket to repair them for you though (he sticks in the main car and brings it to you if you need it).

Actually that hour playthrough discussed that some other cars will have unique abilities, like the ability to drop mines, which isn't something that the Magnum Opus can ever do, apparently. They specifically mentioned that they want to reward players for trying new things with different cars from time to time, like selecting a car that drops mines and using it for a road race to give yourself a pretty distinct advantage.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really wish this wasn't coming out on Phantom Pain day.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

ImpAtom posted:

I really wish this wasn't coming out on Phantom Pain day.

It looks rather bad, so roll on Metal Gear.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Crappy Jack posted:

Actually that hour playthrough discussed that some other cars will have unique abilities, like the ability to drop mines, which isn't something that the Magnum Opus can ever do, apparently. They specifically mentioned that they want to reward players for trying new things with different cars from time to time, like selecting a car that drops mines and using it for a road race to give yourself a pretty distinct advantage.

You still have a garage full of vehicles you can collect though, you don't always have to drive the MO if you don't want. At least that's what the devs have said in these playthroughs.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

It looks rather bad, so roll on Metal Gear.

No, it doesn't. It looks rather good.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

echronorian posted:

No, it doesn't. It looks rather good.

Trolling is against the rules. You should read them so you don't embarrass yourself like this again.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Certainly looks better than this pile of meh.

Cripes, it's so empty and the car combat looks like it's going to get old very fast.
Looks like there isn't really much vehicle variety either, man are there EVEN motorcycles and gyrocopters?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Deakul posted:

Certainly looks better than this pile of meh.

Definitely. Can't believe the foolishness going on here. It's embarrassing that the people making this game think it's even close to George Miller's Mad Max films.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Well, it looks good to me,and no amount of lecturing from you dudes will convince me otherwise.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

Definitely. Can't believe the foolishness going on here. It's embarrassing that the people making this game think it's even close to George Miller's Mad Max films.

Yet mad max looks better than the new metal gear what ever game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

Fortunately nobody actually claimed that.

I don't think Shadow of Mordor is close to the Tolkien books but i still think it is a good game. Somehow A does not mean B.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Fortunately nobody actually claimed that.

I don't think Shadow of Mordor is close to the Tolkien books but i still think it is a good game. Somehow A does not mean B.

This looks like a bad game, and one that lacks any meaningful connection to Mad Max, though. Change the main character's name and this could be a Twisted Metal reboot, or a Rage sequel. Even if it wasn't that uninspired, having a plethora of generic gameplay systems lifted from other generic games and slapped together isn't a particularly impressive experience to build a game around.

Even Shadows of Mordor, for all it's faults and misteps, had an interesting core to build off of.

wjs5 posted:

Yet mad max looks better than the new metal gear what ever game.

Get a load of this guy!

• Locked thread