Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I love my 2013 Nexus 7 but I yearn for something a bit bigger on which to watch my moofies.

I wouldn't consider a Nexus 9 due to the SoC and light bleed etc. I was hoping the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 was going to be essentially an 8 or 10 inch Galaxy S6 in terms of build quality, performance and cut-down TouchWiz, but now that dream has gone from me.

Front-facing speakers would also be nice. I'd like minimum 32GB onboard storage; SD slot would be good but not required.

Should I continue to dream on? Is there another Galaxy Tab in our near future?

Oh yeah, I'd considered a Sony Xperia Z3 Tablet, since I love the Xperia Z3 Compact phone. Is that my best bet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I was going to suggest a Nvidia Shield tablet, but it looks like with the recall and them having to replace all the units. You can't find any on the shelves.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Nexus 7 2013 WiFi just got an update - probably the Stagefright fix. 10MB download.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Last night I fired up my Nexus 10 that I still haven't sold off, updated it fully to 5.1.1, and gave it a run compared to the N9.

Make no mistake, the N10 is slower all things being equal (and you can feel it) and the screen is rather muted compared to the N9. However, it's just so much more consistent that it almost feels faster on a whole. It also feels less unwieldy to hold compared to the N9 despite being larger and heavier overall. I think it's because the edges are tapered more.

The N10 just shows none of the random pauses and hangs that the N9 does.

So, this morning I broke down and ordered a Nexus 7 2013 (16gb this time since I don't need 32gb really and it was only $149), almost exactly 2 years to the day from when I originally bought one. I really wanted to like the Galaxy Tab S 8.4 due to the screen, but I just can't get past Touchwiz and I really doubt it's going to get Android M. I may look at one in person this afternoon and we'll see if maybe I'll fall in love and cancel the N7 order, but I don't think so. Plus I already have a carrying case that fits the N7 and my wireless charger will need something to do after I buy a Moto X.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

bull3964 posted:

Last night I fired up my Nexus 10 that I still haven't sold off, updated it fully to 5.1.1, and gave it a run compared to the N9.

Make no mistake, the N10 is slower all things being equal (and you can feel it) and the screen is rather muted compared to the N9. However, it's just so much more consistent that it almost feels faster on a whole. It also feels less unwieldy to hold compared to the N9 despite being larger and heavier overall. I think it's because the edges are tapered more.

So, this morning I broke down and ordered a Nexus 7 2013 (16gb this time since I don't need 32gb really and it was only $149), almost exactly 2 years to the day from when I originally bought one. I really wanted to like the Galaxy Tab S 8.4 due to the screen, but I just can't get past Touchwiz and I really doubt it's going to get Android M. I may look at one in person this afternoon and we'll see if maybe I'll fall in love and cancel the N7 order, but I don't think so. Plus I already have a carrying case that fits the N7 and my wireless charger will need something to do after I buy a Moto X.

The N7 is so nice. I only got an iPad because for a few months I had to read a ton of PDF, and it was just too small. I tried the N9, but it was garbage, so I got an iPad Air. That project is done, and now I wish I had an N7 again.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I really really wish I could have an updated N7 with a Snapdragon 808, 3gb of RAM and a 1440 screen. Keep everything physical about it the same. It would just be perfect.

I'm going to hang on to the N9 for now, probably through the official M rollout, just on the off chance it gets sorted. But even if the performance gets fixed, I flat out just don't like the form factor. 9" 4:3 just isn't clicking for me. It's a stretch to palm even for me so it just isn't as convenient to hold and use.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 13, 2015

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

bull3964 posted:

bull3964 posted:

I'm going to hang on to the N9 for now, probably through the official M rollout, just on the off chance it gets sorted.
Have you tried doing a factory reset on the N9 after installing the 5.1.1 OTA? It made a noticeable improvement on mine.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Rastor posted:

Have you tried doing a factory reset on the N9 after installing the 5.1.1 OTA? It made a noticeable improvement on mine.

Yes, I burned it to the ground completely, formatting partitions and flashing each image manually. It's fine for 2-3 days after something like that is done, then it just goes downhill.

It's just so inconsistent. 1 minute it will be silky smooth and blazing, another it will take 20 seconds to switch from Chrome to Hangouts.

Chrome, especially, it just horribly terrible on it. I just know any time I invoke the browser it'll just tank the whole device.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Out of curiosity, are there any articles that explain why the SoC in the N9 was/is crappy?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

WhyteRyce posted:

Out of curiosity, are there any articles that explain why the SoC in the N9 was/is crappy?
I mean, just :google: Project Denver if you want to learn about the history of their binary translation. Anandtech covered it in their Nexus 9 review though. Basically it relies a lot on preconditioned executables, so non-stochastic workloads (some synthetic benchmarks) Denver's really, really good at -- especially after a couple of runs. In less predictable usage (real world) though, performance is wildly inconsistent.

Anandtech: Nexus 9 Review

quote:

Unfortunately, even in benchmarks where the DCO should be able to easily unroll loops to achieve massive amounts of performance, we see inconsistent performance in Denver. This may come down to an issue with the DCO, or even more simply the fact that Denver is spending more time than it would like to directly executing ARM code as opposed to going through the DCO.
And some of my previous posts on it...

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

There are some synthetic benchmarks that show Denver in a favorable light, but that doesn't make it a good architecture. Their binary translation is cute, but I don't think it's destined for a long shelf life. From an IPC standpoint, Denver's almost embarrassing when you consider NVIDIA needed 2.5GHz to match the single-core performance of a 1.5GHz "Enhanced Cyclone" ARM core.

Really it just sounds like he bought into NVIDIA's hype train that they've been driving since they announced the turd at CES 2011.
On why the Shield Tablet didn't use Denver, instead licensing Cortex cores...

Speculation: Though I'm sure it wasn't planned to be the "good tech" in the Shield Tablet, they went with the safer ARM core choice for that product. It was likely too risky to tie both their future SoC business and Shield marketing dollars to a radical architecture, especially when the GPU is arguably the more important component for the Shield Tablet anyway. Pairing Kepler with an off-the-shelf ARM core for the Shield Tablet just made more sense, and in itself was still a bit of a risk. Save Denver for third-party ODM bids and see how it goes -- so far it doesn't look like anything else besides the Nexus 9 is going to use it.
On the future of NVIDIA's binary translation cores...

It's also interesting to note that NVIDIA's latest roadmap does not show Parker (Denver CPU + Maxwell GPU) for 2015 anymore, only a thrown-together part Erista (licensed Cortex A57/A53 CPUs + Maxwell GPU) that is more akin to the SoC that went into the Shield Tablet. Erista looks to be a beast and will likely power NVIDIA's 64-bit "Shield Tablet 2" or whatever they decide to call it this year.

:rip: Denver
As someone who studies CPU architectures, it's a fascinating attempt at binary translation -- probably the most significant product in that category since Transmeta's x86 attempts a little over a decade ago. Interestingly, NVIDIA ended up with similar results as Transmeta: largely irrelevant (some would argue artificially inflated) synthetic benchmark numbers with lackluster real-world performance.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Aug 14, 2015

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I hope they do another binary translation core because I just love post post postin' about Project Denver. It's not completely unusable, but its performance characteristics and quirks are unlike most CPUs out there,so people sometimes get frustrated at the unusual pauses and hitches.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 14, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If you only want to do one thing on the N9, it works great.

However, if you want to switch between doing many things on the tablet, you want to fastball the thing into the wall.

10-15 seconds to switch from chrome to hangouts is unfuckingacceptable. I used to think it was just lollipop until I actually got lollipop on my phone. Then I just realized it was this device.

Thrice burned by Nvidia, never again. I said it after the Nexus 7 2012, but I got soft and though that HTC and Google would actually build something flagship level with their flagship priced tablet.

If only the thing had the same 805 in it as the Nexus 6 and Droid Turbo, it would have been a pretty nice device (even if I still wasn't thrilled about the form factor.) But an advanced 64 bit processor that can't multitask is just baby town frolics. It shouldn't have gotten out of engineering samples let alone been the launch product for Google's new operating system.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

bull3964 posted:

If only the thing had the same 805 in it as the Nexus 6 and Droid Turbo, it would have been a pretty nice device (even if I still wasn't thrilled about the form factor.) But an advanced 64 bit processor that can't multitask is just baby town frolics. It shouldn't have gotten out of engineering samples let alone been the launch product for Google's new operating system.
Honestly the other Tegra K1 would have been a good choice too.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Honestly the other Tegra K1 would have been a good choice too.

Of course, in both cases, this means Google wouldn't have been able to show off 64 bit android and I think we all know that was the real reason for the choice of Denver.

Edit:

I think I just realized what my main beef of Android tablets is right now. There's no Motorola equivalent out there. Solid hardware with good long term support and sensible enhancements on top of stock Android.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Aug 14, 2015

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

I wish my N10 worked that well, mine is awful and I've just stopped using it entirely. Frequent lags and delays when scrolling, apps takes up to ten seconds to open, even browsing is painful. The only thing it's still good for is watching movies.

I've tried wiping/reflashing it before and I'll try it again when M is released but I don't hold out much hope for it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'm wondering... any of you N9 owners have tried something else than chrome? I hate that poo poo and usually stick with either Opera or Firefox.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Guillermus posted:

I'm wondering... any of you N9 owners have tried something else than chrome? I hate that poo poo and usually stick with either Opera or Firefox.

If your Google-sold tablet on its Google-controlled OS can't run Google services and Google's own browser, would it really be okay if the solution was to just change the browser? I mean even if it worked (and it wouldn't for all the reasons Star War Sex Parrot stated above) wouldn't it bother you that such a thing was required?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

LastInLine posted:

If your Google-sold tablet on its Google-controlled OS can't run Google services and Google's own browser, would it really be okay if the solution was to just change the browser? I mean even if it worked (and it wouldn't for all the reasons Star War Sex Parrot stated above) wouldn't it bother you that such a thing was required?

Flip that:

If your Microsoft-sold tablet on its Microsoft OS with Microsoft's browser got outperformed by Google's browser, wouldn't it bother you?

Seriously you've got a weird attitude toward computers.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

If your Microsoft-sold tablet on its Microsoft OS with Microsoft's browser got outperformed by Google's browser, wouldn't it bother you?

Sounds like a situation that would be worthy of great mockery and general derision.

Fortunately, Edge fixed the issue.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

It's not quite the same because Chrome is a better browser than IE/Edge even on Microsoft's own desktop OS. Which makes Chrome Sync too useful to lose on an Android device. Basically it depends on what you use elsewhere. If you already use desktop Firefox then you probably don't care about switching to Firefox on Android. If you use Chrome everywhere you probably do.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Flip that:

Seriously you've got a weird attitude toward computers.

That would bother me. I'd probably not ever use a Microsoft computer if that were the case.

Which it is, and I don't.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

LastInLine posted:

I have a Nexus 7 2013 that works perfectly, I just don't use chrome because I don't like it. My question was as simple as if chrome performs like poo poo, while other apps run fine why not try something else. And funny that now Edge outperforms every other browser on Windows 10.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I think the limitations of the SOC would extend to other browsers based on what swsp wrote.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

TheQat posted:

I think the limitations of the SOC would extend to other browsers based on what swsp wrote.

That and I'm not going to change browsers for one tablet. I don't really consider that a valid workaround since I would be giving up all that I sync across platforms.

Amazon was even faster than normal and I got my new N7 this afternoon after ordering yesterday. What's funny is my N9 was feeling zippy this morning and I thought to myself "maybe I'm being too critical" until chrome froze while scrolling and touch inputs paused for a good 30 seconds before suddenly executing every touch input I gave it while I was trying to get it to respond.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I'm just lucky my use case for the n9 is so narrow. Kindle, comixology, and twitch. I barely touch chrome or anything else and I find it quite livable

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha
Apparently the Zenpad 8 (with better cpu and higher ram) is "available", although Amazon still lists it as out of stock. I was going to wait until the Shield Tablet 2 was announced (supposedly this month) but I may pick this up instead.

http://www.androidcentral.com/asus-announces-new-zenpad-s-8-model-increased-storage

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-ZenPad-Z...alb-20&m1k=d_ac

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Asus and Nvidia SoC make up for some stuff I can't forget (like my still alive TF-201...).

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Guillermus posted:

Asus and Nvidia SoC make up for some stuff I can't forget (like my still alive TF-201...).

My TF-201 is almost unusable. It's only use now is as a web cam monitor that I never touch. Anything else is too slow. I can't even use Chrome on it anymore without constant freezing

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Mine is mostly for video playing when I'm not at home, other than that is as slow as my Galaxy S from 2010. This is using a modified CM 10.2 (Android 4.3) because the stock firmware just goes nuts.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So, too early to make a definitive statement, but so far preview 3 has been a massive improvement for me on the N9. I've actually been able to switch apps away from the browser and go back without it having to reload a tab.

Then again, I just got the update last night and the thing always degrades over time.

A week with my new N7 though has just been great. I can notice that it's slower than the N9 doing some things, but it multitasks so much better. It's such a great buy at $149. I'm glad to have it back.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
If I am looking for a LTE tablet, is waiting for the tab s2 in my best interest?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Calidus posted:

If I am looking for a LTE tablet, is waiting for the tab s2 in my best interest?

If you don't mind the 4:3 aspect, then yes.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
This might be an odd request, but does anyone know of a decent, modern tablet running at least Lollipop (or some CM-equal) that does not have any camera, microphone, and does not have GPS? I occasionally have to go to a facility that restricts any recording/etc and want something to use on wifi.

Tesla Was Robbed
Oct 4, 2002
I AM A LIAR

Biowarfare posted:

This might be an odd request, but does anyone know of a decent, modern tablet running at least Lollipop (or some CM-equal) that does not have any camera, microphone, and does not have GPS? I occasionally have to go to a facility that restricts any recording/etc and want something to use on wifi.
I think a nook hd would work, but you'll need to put CM12 on it for lollipop.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Tesla Was Robbed posted:

This was my first instinct as well, but then I remembered that the nook hd has a mic.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Tesla Was Robbed posted:

I can't remember if it has a mic, but the other stuff would work. It really stretches the definition of modern though. Pretty sluggish.

Tesla Was Robbed
Oct 4, 2002
I AM A LIAR

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I can't remember if it has a mic, but the other stuff would work. It really stretches the definition of modern though. Pretty sluggish.
Tablets overall, but especially Android, seem to be the child that everyone has and no one cares for. I've had 3 nooks and they were never the best, but my original nook color still works and my nook hd+ still gets daily use by my kids. But nooks always needed CM to be right.

What do I know. I still love my Asus Eee tablet, and will soon be replacing it with something similar but bigger.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

So I did the Shield Tablet recall and my new one was shipped to me today. I unlocked, rooted, flashed custom recovery and custom ROM on my old one. Then turned on the new one and got it running. Both running perfectly. The note in the box indicated that my old one would bet deactivated as soon as I setup my new tablet and I could dispose of it following my local e-waste guidelines. So I don't even need to ship it back. This is pretty awesome.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
My Notice letter with my replacement specifically said not to throw it away as they would be shipping me a box to return the old one in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Boywunda posted:

So I did the Shield Tablet recall and my new one was shipped to me today. I unlocked, rooted, flashed custom recovery and custom ROM on my old one. Then turned on the new one and got it running. Both running perfectly. The note in the box indicated that my old one would bet deactivated as soon as I setup my new tablet and I could dispose of it following my local e-waste guidelines. So I don't even need to ship it back. This is pretty awesome.

A couple Qs:

What country are you in?
What custom rom did you go with?

Just asking because I'm in the UK and haven't received my replacement tablet yet.