Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

chef posted:

Our shower hot water faucet was leaking a bit when you turned it on. I took off the handle and realized the valve socket I bought was the wrong size. I put the handle back on and the leak is gone.

Did my jiggling fix a seal? Should I tell everyone about my triumph? Just worried I am now leaking water behind the wall since I'm new to all this home ownership business.
Congrats, you're now a water wizard or hydromancer or somewhatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

chef posted:

Our shower hot water faucet was leaking a bit when you turned it on. I took off the handle and realized the valve socket I bought was the wrong size. I put the handle back on and the leak is gone.

Did my jiggling fix a seal? Should I tell everyone about my triumph? Just worried I am now leaking water behind the wall since I'm new to all this home ownership business.

Sounds like the packing washer was leaking and that when you put the handle and escutcheon back on, you somehow managed to tighten the packing nut down just enough to stop the leak. Anyway, for a leak that small, you might just need to tighten down the packing nut if it hasn't been tightened down all the way yet. If it's completely tight and still leaks, then replace the packing washer.

Here is the proper fix for a valve leaking out the handle. Turn off the water. Unscrew the handle and escutcheon. Unscrew the packing nut. Set the handle back on the stem and use it to unscrew the cartridge all the way out of the wall. Take that cartridge to the hardware store and find the proper packing washer for it, and probably the seat washer too since they're cheap and you already have it out of the wall. Maybe even pick up a pair of both so you can do the cold side too.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
My garbage disposal appears to be kaput. It makes a lot of noise and doesn't grind anything.

My buddy took an allen wrench and turned the axel at the bottom while we looked down the drain with a flashlight and it seemed to not be turning, indicating to me that something is either loose or has gotten stripped in there.

1) Does anyone have anything easy to try to fix it before I go to the effort of removing it?
2) Given that the disposal is probably 10-15 years old I'm probably just going to replace it. I have no idea about brands, horsepower, or any features I would want. Would 1/2 HP be sufficient for a small family kitchen?

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Its not worth fixing -- a very suitable upgrade can be had at Lowes / Home Depot for $99. In-sink-erator generic 1/3hp is fine.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK

Hubis posted:

My garbage disposal appears to be kaput. It makes a lot of noise and doesn't grind anything.

My buddy took an allen wrench and turned the axel at the bottom while we looked down the drain with a flashlight and it seemed to not be turning, indicating to me that something is either loose or has gotten stripped in there.

1) Does anyone have anything easy to try to fix it before I go to the effort of removing it?
2) Given that the disposal is probably 10-15 years old I'm probably just going to replace it. I have no idea about brands, horsepower, or any features I would want. Would 1/2 HP be sufficient for a small family kitchen?

They are really easy to remove. Yours should maybe take 30 minutes if you fumble with it a lot.

It's most likely a badgar brand already if it has the allen key connected to the shaft. This is good because you can replace it with ease. You won't have to replace the adapter on the sink and should be able to spot the new badgar back up onto the sink with ease. Also don't forget to knock the plug out of the dishwasher inlet to the disposer. (if you plan on using a dishwasher with it.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
I have a question which takes some explaining to understand due to its theoretical nature. Please bear with me.

I while ago I was in China and in rural areas there are concrete boxes outside people's homes into which they would appreciate it if you defecated or discarded any and all (and especially rotting) food waste. This was not due to coprophilia as I had first suspected but because the Chinese collect methane off it. Methane floats so they just toss all the garbage in a hole along with their poop and whatever their animals poop. Then they secure (but not stretch) a sheet over the hole. Over time the hole fills with gas and once it's inflated you can light a flame over it which burns for months and it's enough to stir fry with. That's all I thought they were doing until I read about this thing in China:

"http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2010-11/chinese-cow-manure-generates-electricity-largest-ever-methane-capture-system (*abridged) posted:

A farm is now a methane farm, turning a gas into energy. China installed generators that capture methane from manure. The plant will process waste from cows to produce power. This is enough electricity.

But also some other place on the internet said,

http://www.homepower.com/articles/home-efficiency/design-construction/ask-experts-septic-system-methane posted:

Hello Guy, Folks frequently ask if the methane gas produced by a septic system can be harnessed. The short answer is no.

But then a third guy also posted

"Internetjack posted:

eating(SWH) is easier to build into new home design, rather than for retrofitting an existing home.

I recognize that septic systems are not designed to produce methane. But it looks to me as though they could be, which is why I am posting in this thread. If you were at your plumber's office and some dude came up to you and stated that he was growing tired with digging up and/or relocating outhouses every decade. There might be some debate as to whether to dig up or uproot. Moving the outhouse changes the dynamic of an area. People have to get accustomed to a new area, and it takes time. So some people say, "why not just dig it out?" and then someone might reply, "But that's gross. I pooped in there. It smells unpleasant."

I propose a 3rd opinion in which we as a family formally adopt indoor plumbing. I am furthermore of the opinion that since even "Long Lasting" "Super Dependable" "Deep Cycle" "Marine" car batteries don't last 20 even years, that we should look to upgrading our electricity as well. I recognize that this is not the thread to discuss generator selection and energy storage. I am only concerned with whether it would be possible to design a septic installation which disperses and fertilizes an area but also can collect and direct methane to an outlet.

In my opinion, raising things up on to bare stone and painting them black can make it hotter inside. Furthermore I've got several 50 gallon drums laying around. They used to have berries in them. They're waterproof and foodgrade and strong enough to support a dock, and so maybe also impermeable to oxygen.

I believe that since this is already being put into practice elsewhere, and the obstacles to making it practical here seem overcome-able, it ought to be worth considering for a small-scale / occasional toilet.

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Aug 2, 2015

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
There are places in the US already that are turning poop into methane for energy. There was an episode on Dirty Jobs about it. Some dairy farm took all their cow manure, composted it for methane, burned that for electricity and made flower tray pots with the composted poop. If I remember right, they were completely self sufficient for power and sold the excess back to the local power company.

That being said, it took all the manure from an entire farm to be completely self sufficient. Even in your China story, it was only enough methane to cook with, not enough for power or heat.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Not really a new concept in the US. It's quite popular near where I live:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/14/nyregion/nyregionspecial2/14Rmethane.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Also on a few dairy farms around me as kid siniter mentioned.

Even if you optimized it for methane production I can't see a home septic system having enough waste for any sort of western home level of power production.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
I found a groundhog burrow on my septic field. What's the best way to get rid of it?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Hackan Slash posted:

I found a groundhog burrow on my septic field. What's the best way to get rid of it?

Watch Caddyshack for inspiration. Make sure to get everything on video.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

The Locator posted:

Watch Caddyshack for inspiration. Make sure to get everything on video.

That was a movie about how NOT to get rid of a groundhog.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Hackan Slash posted:

Dress up like a cute lady groundhog, then slip him a mickey.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

It's new house month which means I'll be in this forum a lot. For my first plumbing trick I need to figure out the best way to move this dishwasher drain line to the correct side of the P-trap. Check out these two angles, as you can see I don't have a ton of vertical space to work with (click to make big).

I think that being able to replace the T/right angle connection with one that has a hole/connection point for the drain line would be best but I don't know what that is called to search for the part. Also maybe I should use a different method. Please advise me internet!

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

Totally TWISTED posted:

It's new house month which means I'll be in this forum a lot. For my first plumbing trick I need to figure out the best way to move this dishwasher drain line to the correct side of the P-trap. Check out these two angles, as you can see I don't have a ton of vertical space to work with (click to make big).

I think that being able to replace the T/right angle connection with one that has a hole/connection point for the drain line would be best but I don't know what that is called to search for the part. Also maybe I should use a different method. Please advise me internet!

You can put the dishwasher wye any where you want on the other side of the P trap. I'd put the wye on its back and install in the horizontal pvc that is pictured.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

You can put the dishwasher wye any where you want on the other side of the P trap. I'd put the wye on its back and install in the horizontal pvc that is pictured.

I somehow didn't type it in my post but part of my mind had wondered if I could put it in the horizontal piece and then discarded the idea, for what reason I know not. So thanks because that will be very easy.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

Blackula69 posted:

Quick question: I have a terrible smell coming from the toilet in my apartment. It smells like mold and sewer gas. I asked my landlord to have a plumber come check the seal and it looks like he just caulked around the edge of the toilet. The smell is lessened but it's still there, usually only at certain times of day (I think when other people in the building are using their water). Is there a problem on the actual drain line? Is it just the wax seal? I want to be able to diagnose the problem before asking for a plumber again, this guy doesn't exactly seem up to par.

Hi thread, you may remember me from this question. The apparently incompetent plumber my landlord hired didn't replace the wax seal on my toilet, he just added more caulking like somehow that would help.

but now I have a new symptom - last night there was foul-smelling water backing up into my sink drain. This is on the second floor of a walk-up, and apparently none of the other three tenants have reported issues. Could a single problem cause both a backing-up kitchen sink and a smelly toilet? And why would it only be affecting me?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Blackula69 posted:

Hi thread, you may remember me from this question. The apparently incompetent plumber my landlord hired didn't replace the wax seal on my toilet, he just added more caulking like somehow that would help.

but now I have a new symptom - last night there was foul-smelling water backing up into my sink drain. This is on the second floor of a walk-up, and apparently none of the other three tenants have reported issues. Could a single problem cause both a backing-up kitchen sink and a smelly toilet? And why would it only be affecting me?

Nope, that's 2 separate problems. As for your new problem, does anything in your unit apparently cause the sink to back up?

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Nope. It just randomly happened last night in the middle of a Witcher 3 session.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

Blackula69 posted:

Most likely you have a clog (or partial clog) and when someone above you drains a lot of water quickly then it backs up in your place.

Turd Herder fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Aug 18, 2015

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Interesting. There's nobody above me, but maybe I'm just downstream of everyone else.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

Blackula69 posted:

Interesting. There's nobody above me, but maybe I'm just downstream of everyone else.

That is possible but usually it will choose the lowest fixture (shower or floor drain)

edit: I just re read that this happened on the 2nd floor of your place. What is a walk up? And are any plumbing fixtures on the first floor. If yes then most likely something you did caused it to back up. If there is nothing plumbing wise on the first floor then you could be the furthest down stream.

Jadunk
Feb 27, 2013

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

That is possible but usually it will choose the lowest fixture (shower or floor drain)

edit: I just re read that this happened on the 2nd floor of your place. What is a walk up? And are any plumbing fixtures on the first floor. If yes then most likely something you did caused it to back up. If there is nothing plumbing wise on the first floor then you could be the furthest down stream.

It sounds like his sink is probably back to back with the neighbor who doesn't want to admit the issue is going on in their unit for fear of them being blamed / charged. A walk as far as I know is just a building without an elevator so to access the second / (third, fourth, etc) floor units you have to use the stairs.

Remember everyone if you're a tenant (or landlord) someone not reporting something or saying they have no problems in their unit doesn't mean a goddamn thing. I've seen people with standing water in their unit try to tell me they didn't have any problems.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Jadunk posted:

Remember everyone if you're a tenant (or landlord) someone not reporting something or saying they have no problems in their unit doesn't mean a goddamn thing. I've seen people with standing water in their unit try to tell me they didn't have any problems.

"I'm waiting for it to freeze in the winter so we'll have our own ice rink! Watch out, Red Wings!"

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
One of the taps on my shower keeps loosening up:

Every few weeks I have to go and tighten that collar thing with a hex-head wrench. What do I need to do so I don't have to take this stupid thing apart every so often?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

hooah posted:

One of the taps on my shower keeps loosening up:

Every few weeks I have to go and tighten that collar thing with a hex-head wrench. What do I need to do so I don't have to take this stupid thing apart every so often?

You mean the escutcheon? You may need to replace the nipple holding it on if its threads are worn away. Maybe gum up those threads with some plumber's putty?

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

kid sinister posted:

You mean the escutcheon? You may need to replace the nipple holding it on if its threads are worn away. Maybe gum up those threads with some plumber's putty?

Plumbers putty to put on threads? I've never heard of that. What is that suppose to do?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

kid sinister posted:

Sorry, no I mean the thing on the... nipple? I'm not sure if the right term, but the part that's supposed to grab the part of the faucet that turns, and is itself locked onto by the handle.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

Plumbers putty to put on threads? I've never heard of that. What is that suppose to do?

I'm sorry, not plumber's putty, but thread tape. I've used that before to hold on a loose screw. It works for awhile.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Aug 24, 2015

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

hooah posted:

Sorry, no I mean the thing on the... nipple? I'm not sure if the right term, but the part that's supposed to grab the part of the faucet that turns, and is itself locked onto by the handle.

Dip the hex screw in threadlocker?

http://www.all-spec.com/products/24225.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjwgeuuBRCiwpD0hP3Cg4kBEiQAHflm1l_KhZG8JX7oC5StS-4H3tMLWxpz1l0MGVtuS3AKGlkaAnyd8P8HAQ

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Oh! I do have some Loc-Tite I forgot about; I'll try that

Why the hell is the stiff you linked so expensive?

Jadunk
Feb 27, 2013

hooah posted:

Oh! I do have some Loc-Tite I forgot about; I'll try that

Why the hell is the stiff you linked so expensive?

He linked a 250ml bottle. (you're probably used to the 6ml tubes)

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

hooah posted:

Actually, you were right. That thing on the end of the stem is called a collar. I haven't seen many, but those things are typically used for universal handles where the handle fits the collar adapter and they come multiple adapters to fit all the different faucet manufacturers. They're popular with casement window handles too.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
An unrelated question: my bathroom sink is draining slowly. I've always used some sort of Drano/Liquid Plumr in the past and that's worked ok, but not this time. I did notice that my wife bought the full clog variety rather than slow drain does that really matter? If it doesn't, what else can I do to fix the drain?

sirr0bin
Aug 16, 2004
damn you! let the rabbits wear glasses!

hooah posted:

An unrelated question: my bathroom sink is draining slowly. I've always used some sort of Drano/Liquid Plumr in the past and that's worked ok, but not this time. I did notice that my wife bought the full clog variety rather than slow drain does that really matter? If it doesn't, what else can I do to fix the drain?

Have you tried a plunger? Clears up most sink problems pretty quickly.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

hooah posted:

Grab a bucket and check the trap!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

The type of draino won't matter. If you want to poke around do it BEFORE you pour the draino it's nasty stuff you don't want on your hands.

If it's draining slow it's clogged.. first places to look would be directly under drain plug (pull it out and you'll probably have a lot of gross hair and stuff ). Depending on the drain you may need to remove the lever that's under the sink (nut on back of first drain section). Then pull the trap (curved piece of pipe) and see if it's all gross.. of no then get a snake and run it down and back out a little more each time and see how much hair coated with beauty product you find.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

hooah posted:

Have you tried a Zip It? It's a tool for pulling hair out of drains. They're super cheap.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I have not. Also, I looked under my sink, and the stopper appears to be attached to a lever that goes through a piece coming down from the "pull this to plug the drain" handle, but there's no nut keeping it there - it's just a sort of spring that I don't know how to remove.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

hooah posted:

I have not. Also, I looked under my sink, and the stopper appears to be attached to a lever that goes through a piece coming down from the "pull this to plug the drain" handle, but there's no nut keeping it there - it's just a sort of spring that I don't know how to remove.

The spring - you squeeze the free ends of the spring closer to each other until the rod can slide around. But that's for making adjustments. To get the stopper out, you should be able to unscrew a little nut that sits right against the drainpipe maybe? Where the rod goes in? Then the rod can pull out of the pipe. Don't lose the pieces!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Ok, I tried to take a video of that location, but I don't see a nut:
https://youtu.be/YMrwEHu735I

hooah fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 28, 2015