Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
I try to be fair to the Puppies, but they make it so loving hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I see you've discovered John C. Wright

http://www.scifiwright.com/2013/11/saving-science-fiction-from-strong-female-characters-part-1/

quote:

I have an impulse to be kind to children with big eyes, which I think I should indulge, and I have an impulse to stab my rivals through eye and into the brain pan with my sword cane, which is an impulse I think I should suppress, not the least because my blade is dull and I am past the age when one can face the gallows with dignity.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

darthbob88 posted:

As long as we're making GBS threads all over Effective Altruism, my biggest beef is the way it feels like just shameful rationalization for things EA's would do anyway. Maximizing lives saved per dollar is pretty cool, but deciding that the best way to save the world is by either becoming rich or working on a cool computer science problem rather than actually helping people is less so. 'Sides which, it seems to me that fixing global poverty would be a necessary step to fixing any higher problems; more people trying to avert an AI apocalypse or build space stations can only help, and by some fortunate coincidence there are several billion people looking for paying work.

GiveWell, at least, seems a lot more focused on fighting poverty and disease than on computer science problems.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Heresiarch posted:

Hugo Nominee John C. Wright, ladies and gentlemen.

The sourest of grapes.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Jesus, what a blowhard.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ever notice how many of the more reactionary sci-fi authors are just staggeringly unimaginative?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Things I agree with John C. Wright on:

1. The Night Lands is a good book

2. The Amber Spyglass was a very sad excuse for a finale after two strong first books

Things I do not agree with John C. Wright on:

1-∞: Everything else

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Patrick Spens posted:

I try to be fair to the Puppies, but they make it so loving hard.

There is a reason these idiots are marginalized by society. :laugh:

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

John C. Wright posted:

Masculine in general means direct in speech, confident in action, coolheaded in combat, lethal in war, honorable in tourney or melee, cunning in wit, unerring in deduction, glib in speech, and confident and bold in all things.

Despite reactionary attempts to define masculinity as "being strong", in practice it is a delicate and ephemeral identity, prone to collapse at the slightest prodding. Being 100% masculine requires the denial of huge parts of one's own humanity. This is obviously impossible, which is why strict masculinity is neither a set of actions nor virtues (as reactionaries claim) but an illusion, which must be zealously policed at all times. It is a pile of quivering insecurities, maintained by childish posturing, and it can be brought down by getting called a fag in the locker room. That so many people spend such a vast amount of mental energy maintaining something so worthless is a tragedy.

Also, by John C. Wright's own definition, none of the reactionaries mentioned in this thread qualify as masculine. :thumbsup:

I rest my case.

Curvature of Earth has a new favorite as of 22:03 on Aug 24, 2015

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

John C. Wright posted:

Masculine in general means direct in speech, confident in action, coolheaded in combat, lethal in war, honorable in tourney or melee, cunning in wit, unerring in deduction, glib in speech, and confident and bold in all things.
I'm pretty sure most sad puppies have been in combat or war, lest coolheaded or lethal in there. Same with tourney and melee. So: indeed, none are masculine.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Silver2195 posted:

GiveWell, at least, seems a lot more focused on fighting poverty and disease than on computer science problems.

GiveWell is heartily part of EA! But y'know, they seem basically sane about it. And let's link their review of the Singularity Institute again, it's champagne comedy. Luke Muehlhauser said some nutso things when at MIRI, but he was also in actual fact a kick-rear end nonprofit guy, so he should be very effective and useful at GiveWell.

I mean, the idea of estimating the effectiveness of a given charitable action is not a terrible one. Or even comparing them, since dollars are fungible. But you can get a bit silly about it.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
And if anybody's interested, today (purely by coincidence I'm sure) The Nation has an interview with the Puppy's antithesis, Samuel Delany. It's a hell of a read.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Heresiarch posted:

And if anybody's interested, today (purely by coincidence I'm sure) The Nation has an interview with the Puppy's antithesis, Samuel Delany. It's a hell of a read.

Huh, I thought he was dead. 13 year old freshly-gay me loved Dhalgren :3:

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Heresiarch posted:

Clearly a "half-savage" SJW, who cares what people like this think anyway, must've got in via affirmative action, deserves no place in our beloved dorkrealm, more spacemans and laserguns. MORE SPACEMANS.

Seriously though... holy poo poo. :stare: He's operating on another loving plane. Run tell 'em, Sam.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Huh, I thought he was dead. 13 year old freshly-gay me loved Dhalgren :3:

Dhalgren is an absolutely beautiful work. It's the book that turned me onto massive postmodernist doorstoppers. But I find that almost all of them seem to lack the heart that Dhalgren has.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Heresiarch posted:

Hugo Nominee John C. Wright, ladies and gentlemen.

Why was he going to win a writing award?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Somfin posted:

Why was he going to win a writing award?
Vox Day.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Samuel R. Delany owns. Dhalgren owns. Trouble On Triton owns. Empire Star owns. The Star Pit owns. Prismatica owns.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

I meant like

Does he think that was good writing

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Somfin posted:

I meant like

Does he think that was good writing

What does your heart tell you?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Also, the page I got that image from has a nice sampling of the full range of idiotic and/or bigoted things John C. Wright believes.

http://failfandomanonwiki.pbworks.com/w/page/94780361/John%20C%20Wright

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

BobHoward posted:

What does your heart tell you?

It says stop dressing like it's the middle of winter you loving clowns

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Chocolate Teapot posted:

It says stop dressing like it's the middle of winter you loving clowns

Specifically, like the middle of winter 1951-52.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Pope Guilty posted:

Specifically, like the middle of winter 1951-52.

As depicted in an under-researched comic book.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Hate Fibration posted:

Dhalgren is an absolutely beautiful work. It's the book that turned me onto massive postmodernist doorstoppers. But I find that almost all of them seem to lack the heart that Dhalgren has.

ehh. I tried to read it for years, eventually got two hundred pages in, got sick of waiting for it to start and gave up. YMMV.

On another note!

nostalgebraist posted:

“by Fluttershy”

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Posting in this Dhalgren discussion for some username mileage :getin: Apart from his fiction, his books on writing are really great, by the way. (Although his NAMBLA opinions are... uh... a bit offputting?)

John C. Wright posted:

Does this guy actually know what glib means? Not that it's not accurate in describing sad puppies writing...

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

For a rather through engagement with John C. Wright's politics, and then a subsequent dismantling of them, I'll direct you to CS Lewis scholar Andrew Rilstone: http://www.andrewrilstone.com/2015/08/rilstone-reads-puppy.html

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Maybe these people's "game" with women would work better if they dressed in seasonally appropriate clothes so they wouldn't sweat all day and smell like a dead goat.

Though you can dress lighter and take a shower to stop smelling like an rear end in a top hat, it won't make you stop being one.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Does this guy actually know
no

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011

Posting in this Dhalgren discussion for some username mileage :getin: Apart from his fiction, his books on writing are really great, by the way. (Although his NAMBLA opinions are... uh... a bit offputting?)

John C. Wright posted:

Does this guy actually know what glib means? Not that it's not accurate in describing sad puppies writing...

Direct in speech, yet also glib in speech, that seems a bit contradictory.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
He probably thinks it just means "smooth" instead of "smooth and insincere".

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I used to think the same thing.

Mind you, I wasn't a past-middle age man who literally wrote for a living, so.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Toph Bei Fong posted:

For a rather through engagement with John C. Wright's politics, and then a subsequent dismantling of them, I'll direct you to CS Lewis scholar Andrew Rilstone: http://www.andrewrilstone.com/2015/08/rilstone-reads-puppy.html

It's always amazing to see a liberal devout Christian address a neoreactionary claim. I feel it's more effective than stuff like SlateStarCodex's exhaustive anti-NRx piece, because the liberal Christian stuff touches more on reactionaries' style, moral assumptions, and theology, which are pretty much all neoreactionaries have (they don't care about substantive debate, hence Moldbug's deliberate paradoxically dense puffery, and why SSC's mega-rebuttal had zero impact on them). I would pay money to see Fred Clark from Slacktivist write more about neoreactionaries (a real shame he has his hands full countering the more mainstream right-wing Evangelical stuff).

Curvature of Earth has a new favorite as of 21:46 on Aug 25, 2015

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

What NAMBLA opinions? I'm really hoping it doesn't turn out another author I like is a terrible person deep down.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Terrible Opinions posted:

What NAMBLA opinions? I'm really hoping it doesn't turn out another author I like is a terrible person deep down.
Everybody is terrible in some way.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Delany's views are complicated, and influenced by his own experiences as a child. This particular conversation is very recent and probably a lot more useful than the infamous statement from the 90's; it's also not really on topic for the thread and I'm sharing it because people are asking. And no, I don't agree with him either on a lot of the subject but the situation is a lot more nuanced than "he's a NAMBLA supporter", read the whole conversation and draw your own opinions.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Terrible Opinions posted:

Words found here. Long and complicated but seems to be boiled down to 'was involved in sexual relationship with an adult at a young age and claims it didn't damage him'. Now thinks age limits are a brute solution to a complicated issue. Somebody correct me if I missed some huge 'oh and I like loving toddlers' in there somewhere.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Wait, NAMBLA is real? I honestly thought South Park made it up. It seemed like some ridiculous parody of a real organisation.

That's uh ... that's sure something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

darkwasthenight posted:

Somebody correct me if I missed some huge 'oh and I like loving toddlers' in there somewhere.

No, but that's how Vox Day spun it.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Theodore Beale is a shallow, petty, unprincipled man who is proud of his own cruelty. His fiction writing is unremarkable* and his nonfiction writing is so bad I keep expecting to scroll up and see the National Review banner.

*I'm shocked every time ClarkHat praises Beale's books, considering how ClarkHat thinks so highly of his own taste in science fiction.