Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

oem mitsubishi spec engineering right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

jamal posted:

Some evo "shop" in socal thought this was an appropriate way to install an aftermarket fuel pump that didn't fit in the stock housing:

You can buy either a direct drop in pump, or an adapter to fit others like the aem pictured or a walbro or whatever.. Guy paid for an adapter (probably this), brought it to RRE for a tune and they found that.

The level of incompetence there is so dense and multi-layered, impressive!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Slavvy posted:

The level of incompetence there is so dense and multi-layered, impressive!

And there's mitsubishi's slogan!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Hey at least whoever did that chose wire with insulation that is clearly fuel resistant.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Load-bearing drywall wire.

At least it should reduce vibration transfer to the rest of the vehicle!

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Well, you know what they say - If it's stupid and it works, it's not stupid!

Did it work?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
No. Wasn't working right on the dyno. The hose was kinked and not e85 compatible.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I am honestly shocked that a shop that thought generic ground wire was good to hold a fuel pump in would do such a terrible thing.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

jamal posted:

No. Wasn't working right on the dyno. The hose was kinked and not e85 compatible.

But the mounting wasn't to blame? I call that a SUCCESS!!!

If anyone's looking to have an aftermarket FP fitted to their Evo, give me a call!

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
The new fuel pump bomba de gasolina didn't have a spot for the old level sender to clip in, so I lashed it to the pump with a handful of zip ties. This was four or five years ago and it's still going strong.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

NoWake posted:

The new fuel pump didn't have a spot for the old level sender to clip in, so I lashed it to the pump with a handful of zip ties. This was four or five years ago and it's still going strong.

Bomba De Gasolina!

Protip, use the stainless zip ties in fuel, they last forever. I've seen the Nylon ones just get brittle and turn to dust when exposed to diesel, and I imagine that Gasoline would be worse.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Why didn't you just twist some random wire around to hold it on like the pros do?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

sharkytm posted:

Bomba De Gasolina!

Protip, use the stainless zip ties in fuel, they last forever. I've seen the Nylon ones just get brittle and turn to dust when exposed to diesel, and I imagine that Gasoline would be worse.

Its bomba de explosivo. EXPLOSION PUMP. :colbert:

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Elmnt80 posted:

Its bomba de explosivo. EXPLOSION PUMP. :colbert:

Well, duh... Do you want the explosions to happen right here or somewhere farther away?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Â˘‘€Â¸ ÂżÂÂğÂ‘ÂşÂ¸,
‘‚‘€Â¸ ÂżÂ ‘‚‘€Â¸ ÂżÂÂğÂ‘ÂşÂ¸

14 INCH SLIT posted:

Right in the middle of an incredibly busy day with everything I was using thrown half asset into the top of the cart.

To get down to the truck ramp at our shop, you A have to find someone to carry your cart down 7 steps, or roll your poo poo down the parking lot which has a hill, and a huge crack across the middle of it. I think you know where this is going.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Preoptopus posted:

I think you know where this is going.

Over onto it's side?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Â˘‘€Â¸ ÂżÂÂğÂ‘ÂşÂ¸,
‘‚‘€Â¸ ÂżÂ ‘‚‘€Â¸ ÂżÂÂğÂ‘ÂşÂ¸
crawling under cars looking for your sockets that rolled down the hill and into oblivion

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

NO NOT THE STORM DRAIN!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
*works under hood
*drops socket
*TINK TINK TINK
*waits for noise of socket hitting concrete

*waits

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

*search for half an hour
*give up
*finish job
*start engine
*hear fan hit socket
*hear sound of plastic blades in a blender
*shut engine off

*lay head on steering wheel and sob gently.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
My coworker told me a story about how he lost his wedding ring down an exhaust heat shield and got to listen to the sound of his failure on every commute for three years before, he assumed, it finally fell out.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

*search for half an hour
*give up
*finish job
*start engine
*hear fan hit socket
*hear sound of plastic blades in a blender
*shut engine off

*lay head on steering wheel and sob gently.

I had a socket disappear on me once. Weeks later, I was driving down the interstate when I heard a soft crack followed immediately by a loud ping, I looked in my rearview in time to see a chrome flash arch through the air behind me.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Hello Geico? Yeah, I was on the interstate and some big fuckin' metal thing came outta nowhere and smacked me right in the windshield."

"... Bigger than a dollar bill."

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

tactlessbastard posted:

I had a socket disappear on me once. Weeks later, I was driving down the interstate when I heard a soft crack followed immediately by a loud ping, I looked in my rearview in time to see a chrome flash arch through the air behind me.

Yeah, they really should just sell bags of 10mm sockets.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Godholio posted:

*works under hood
*drops socket
*TINK TINK TINK
*waits for noise of socket hitting concrete

*waits
https://youtu.be/4wKPTWXD2Z0

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Knew what this was, clicked anyway, happy customer.

What an awful sound that must be when it isn't a demonstration...

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
The little *clinkPINGclunk* at the end makes it sound like he won a prize :allears:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

14 INCH SLIT posted:

The little *clinkPINGclunk* at the end makes it sound like he won a prize :allears:

Bonus if a totally different sized socket comes tumbling out

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Dude gently caress that..

I feel it.. found my socket it's... right... there I can touch it but the fucker keeps rolling back

5 min of fishing random hole in car with Allen wrenches and screwdrivers

Digs out socket

Horrrayyyy

Looks at socket.. 14mm? What? I lost a 13mm where did this come from?

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

14 INCH SLIT posted:

The prize is that it went all the way through.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
The flared nostrils and bugged out eyes as you hunt for shop towels after spilling a ton of oil filling your engine and it's slowly rolling down the rocker covers towards a hot manifold and will fill your car with oil stink for the next few days if it gets there.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I had a 12 (maybe 13) mm wrench ride under my truck for about a year or two. I was just finishing up some kind of suspension something and the neighbor up the alley emptied their kiddie pool so I had a river of cold water suddenly run by down back. After it all dried I went back under and snugged up the last few bolts, completely forgetting about the wrench. The 12 or 13 mm wrench was on the opposite side of the frame and I had wedged it in for leverage, that was surprising later.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Plinkey posted:

I had a 12 (maybe 13) mm wrench ride under my truck for about a year or two. I was just finishing up some kind of suspension something and the neighbor up the alley emptied their kiddie pool so I had a river of cold water suddenly run by down back. After it all dried I went back under and snugged up the last few bolts, completely forgetting about the wrench. The 12 or 13 mm wrench was on the opposite side of the frame and I had wedged it in for leverage, that was surprising later.

I recently found a 10mm wrench still hanging off of the bleeder on my truck's clutch slave cylinder (WHY is the bleeder metric??? there's your horrible mechanical failure). I guess I left it down there last time I bled it. It was just hanging out there!

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Thanks guys, now I'm paranoid I left something under the hood of my neighbor's STI the other day.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

You did.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

jamal posted:

Thanks guys, now I'm paranoid I left something under the hood of my neighbor's STI the other day.

Do you know where your 14mm socket is?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I found a ratchet and several extensions on TOP of the air filter in the box several weeks after a shop worked on it. And a 17mm snapon wrench wedged beside the driver's seat.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
I had a pretty decent sized bruise on my forehead when a socket was flung out of the engine bay of my volvo 740. managed to get caught in the fan and flung straight into my head when dad started the car. it hurt but i still laughed pretty hard.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
A couple years ago me and a friend drove an exceedingly rusty Volvo V40 T4 (future lemons racer) around Europe and the Nürburgring. Afterwards I parked it with the front wheels up against the curb with the engine running for a few minutes to cool the turbo and engine down without applying brakes, and then left it there for a while before we headed out. When we were about to leave, the tires had cooled down, and since we had to bleed quite a lot of air out of them (due to heating up on track) the car was a little bit lower. Reversing out of the parking space the plastic undertray caught on the curb and got bent backwards. Among other things (various bits of plastic, dirt, and the entire contents of the windshield washer tank) was a pair of pliers that had been missing for a few weeks. It had been there all along, riding a couple thousand km around Europe and a few laps on a racetrack.

Everyone in the parking lot in their expensive german cars was staring as I ripped most of the undertray off, made sure that it wasn't coolant leaking and no significant damage to important things, threw the larger bits of plastic in the back and happily drove off. The car survived the entire way home with just a very dirty windshield and later died 14 hours in to a 24 hour race, but I still have the pliers. Nowhere to put a Nürburgring sticker on them, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Every car I've ever owned has multiple 10mm sockets wind up wedged somewhere... somewhere. Even the Saturd, since it's (mostly) metric.

The current socket set I have has a lifetime lost socket replacement guarantee. Thankfully. I'm pretty sure I've cost Kobalt more than I paid for the complete tool set in replacement 10mm sockets.