Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i asked a friend who used to work at best buy if he knew anyone that ever broke street dates because if they do already then i might as well get the game now but apparently if you scan a game that isnt out yet it either doesn't ring up or rings up for $9999

rip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

A Steampunk Gent posted:

We agree on one thing :cheers:

:) i have all my original level designs and poo poo ready to begin making too! very excited for this game :>

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

VideoGames posted:

:) i have all my original level designs and poo poo ready to begin making too! very excited for this game :>

I have a few funny idea for gotcha traps, I really hope a hundred other people haven't had the same ideas (I too have been daydreaming up levels ever since I saw the Nintendo Championships)

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Can stacks of enemies be nested inside pipes or cannons? Or just individual ones?

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Goina buy at least 3 and world. Playing the lovely 3 min masterpiece versions (super smash bros u) remind how bad I am/was at mario.

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012
I told my fat girlfriend I wanted to bang skinny chicks and now I'm wondering why my relationship is garbage.

blablablabla posted:

Goina buy at least 3 and world. Playing the lovely 3 min masterpiece versions (super smash bros u) remind how bad I am/was at mario.

You should cut* your teeth on Lost Levels instead.

*break.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

MTV Crib Death posted:

You should cut* your teeth on Lost Levels instead.

*break.

Having trouble with SMB 1-1 so yeah

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

This is a good video if you're worried about boss fights

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The new SMW Bowser looks creepy.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
One thing I do wish they'd add is a way to play 10/100-Mario mode in multiplayer - not simultaneous co-op, but pass-the-controller multiplayer with each player having their own set of levels. It's not a huge thing but it'd be nice to have.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Im thinking of a giant robot level. It might just barely work and get battle damaged to hell.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Two things I thought of with this video:

1) Not being able to decide what X-monster throws out of the Clown Car or out of a Lakitu is kinda sad. Or did they just not show that off? I feel like Bowser Jr would be way more dickish if he threw out spinning Spinys. (which, yeah, I know, spinys only become spinys once they hit the ground, but c'mon)

2) Having a SMB3 Bowser gate an area by requiring him to smash the floor would be pretty good, but is there a mechanism to respawn a Bowser if he's been killed? Like, have him come out of a pipe like goombas used to in 1-2 for the 1up trick? I guess there's no good onscreen GUI for being able to limit how many of what monster comes out of the gate, so maybe not, but that'd be pretty sweet otherwise.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I dunno, I actually feel like bosses are pretty weak. Being able to just go past SMB3 and SMW Bowsers, along with Bowser Jr. defeats their purpose, and basically turns them into another obstacle. Spawning Bowsers everywhere has its potential, but I would like some "Boss mode", where it would lock the camera and not let you progress until you kill them.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Maybe I should replay commander keen 1 sometime and see if I can't replicate some of those levels in mario.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Vookatos posted:

I dunno, I actually feel like bosses are pretty weak. Being able to just go past SMB3 and SMW Bowsers, along with Bowser Jr. defeats their purpose, and basically turns them into another obstacle. Spawning Bowsers everywhere has its potential, but I would like some "Boss mode", where it would lock the camera and not let you progress until you kill them.

my solution: don't just run past them, its a single player game

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
but yea boss mode would be cool

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Counterpoint: Mega Man 2's Metal Blades being most folks' first pickup when they play through that particular game, for the very purpose of being able to fire in any direction, especially up.

They do that because Metal Blades are so overpowered that they make much of the game trivial. It's fun despite being flawed design, but I find 9 a lot more fun since each of the weapons in that game has its own useful niche.

e: But more to the point, Mega Man's default abilities are limited for the purpose of encouraging players to use special weapons like the Metal Blade. The weapons you pick up are there to cover limitations in your default abilities and allow approaches that the buster is merely average at or incapable of. If Mega Man had 8-way fire by default, the Metal Blade would just be a boring damage upgrade.

Motto fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 25, 2015

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Vookatos posted:

you could lock someone in the room with a series of donuts to pass through so they'd at least take a hit or two if they're gonna bypass the boss

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

deadwing posted:

you could lock someone in the room with a series of donuts to pass through so they'd at least take a hit or two if they're gonna bypass the boss

I'm going to make a vertical level where you have to have SMB3 Bowser stomp through the floor so you can progress.

Brimstone Inquiry
Jan 21, 2007

I will love the hell out of this game, but I'd worship the hell out of it if it had the SMB2 toy box. Because not being able to pick up a shy guy and throw it in the face of another shy guy makes me a sad guy.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
A full SMB2 theme would probably be a bit much to expect but I hope they at least add some of the more memorable stuff from that game: shyguys, the mask enemy, Birdo, etc.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

GI_Clutch posted:

What kind of levels is everyone planning on making?

I have designs on 8 different worlds for the SMB3 theme. You can't actually upload that many levels so maybe I'll trick ask other goons to make some too.

I'm also going to run a weekly 'contest'* to make levels with a certain gimmick.

*Except most contests involve judging and awards, whereas this contest is mainly just an excuse for a bunch of goons to make similar levels at the same time and then compare notes.

blablablabla posted:

I bought lost levels and 3 this year to brush up for this game. This was Nintendo's real plan all along.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.

DalaranJ posted:

I'm also going to run a weekly 'contest'* to make levels with a certain gimmick.

*Except most contests involve judging and awards, whereas this contest is mainly just an excuse for a bunch of goons to make similar levels at the same time and then compare notes.
I love this.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

GI_Clutch posted:

What kind of levels is everyone planning on making?

It doesn't appear that levels can be long vertically. So the first thing I want to try is see if I can build a vertical level with doors that go to each "floor" and see if I can space out the rooms far enough that it doesn't break the illusion when the camera scrolls

DalaranJ posted:

I have designs on 8 different worlds for the SMB3 theme. You can't actually upload that many levels so maybe I'll trick ask other goons to make some too.

I think that's cool. It'll be a good way for goons to participate and sharing their levels without constantly having to exchange friend codes for levels or whatever. It's a good way to keep some kind of level exchange organized.

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 25, 2015

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

DalaranJ posted:

I bought lost levels and 3 this year to brush up for this game. This was Nintendo's real plan all along.

Yeah I'm not liking having A as jump on the gamepad. Im sure maker will let you edit the controls though.

Might as well get new super mario U since I dont want to have to skip every level with wall jumps

Despera fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Aug 25, 2015

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

blablablabla posted:

Yeah I'm not liking having A as jump on the gamepad

You can remap controls for any VC game. Just press the touch screen while playing. U and Luigi U are good too but you can skip all the other New games imo.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

If you've played two NSMB games(any two) you can skip the rest. They're all good but they made too many too quickly so they're kind of samey. I do recommend getting four people together for the Wii or Wii U ones sometime though because it's pretty fun and crazy to do co-op 2D Mario.

3D World being 3D eliminated a lot of the chaos of that mode.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Now I'm kind of itching to bust out the game boy micro and play some mario 3. drat.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

The new SMW Bowser looks creepy.

I actually hate the way it looks, I don't think it fits the SMW style at all. Especially since they could've modelled him after the Bowser that's already in the game, which looks great.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

Hakkesshu posted:

I actually hate the way it looks, I don't think it fits the SMW style at all. Especially since they could've modelled him after the Bowser that's already in the game, which looks great.

I agree, it's one of the disappointing things about the game.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

Bowser Jr. on the other hand looks pretty great. A little like Baby Bowser, and a little cleaner than the koopalings. Maybe not as matching the SMW style as much as he could've though.

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012
I told my fat girlfriend I wanted to bang skinny chicks and now I'm wondering why my relationship is garbage.
In preparation for Maker Maker, I dove into the dragon's mouth.

Lost Levels. No continues. No Warps. No infinite lives trick. All Luigi.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

MTV Crib Death posted:

In preparation for Maker Maker, I dove into the dragon's mouth.

Lost Levels. No continues. No Warps. No infinite lives trick. All Luigi.

And for your next trick, beat Vs. Super Mario Bros. on a single credit.

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

And for your next trick, beat Vs. Super Mario Bros. on a single credit.

You say jump and I say which operator settings?

:getin:

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Defaults, because operators don't caaaaaaaaare.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Lost levels isn't that hard

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Hakkesshu posted:

The original Bowser sprite from World wasn't a looker either.

In fact it's ridiculously ugly, which speaks a lot about how bad some of World's sprite work was. I'll gladly take Mario Maker's version if it means not having to stare at this ugly thing.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

It's like they forgot that the SNES doesn't have the strict palette limitations of the NES.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Mario world had some of the best art of any SNES game and some of the worst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

The original Bowser sprite from World wasn't a looker either.

In fact it's ridiculously ugly, which speaks a lot about how bad some of World's sprite work was. I'll gladly take Mario Maker's version if it means not having to stare at this ugly thing.

That sprite in fact looks great, nuts to you

• Locked thread