Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
I just started watching Riget/The Kingdom by Lars Von Trier.

HOLY poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Irish Joe posted:

It took three minutes for viewers to learn everything they need to know about Starlord in Guardians of the Galaxy. Compared to that, Fear the Walking Dead is the loving War and Peace of characterization.

Guess what? Fear the Walking Dead is not a 100 minute theatrical release.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

xcore posted:

Guess what? Fear the Walking Dead is not a 100 minute theatrical release.

Guess what? Irish Joe is a bad gimmick poster.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Any word on Public Morals? It looks solid enough.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

James Woods Fan posted:

it has good previews, but theres no leak yet and it doesnt air until tomorrow

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

it has good previews, but theres no leak yet and it doesnt air until tomorrow

That's the TNT show yeah? Do they have a track record with TV shows or they pulling an AMC and trying to get into the game?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

xcore posted:

That's the TNT show yeah? Do they have a track record with TV shows or they pulling an AMC and trying to get into the game?

their track record is making thousands of forgettable cop shows

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
^^^^Mr Robot being on USA has made me willing to give new shows on regurely, previously poo poo-for-original-programming cable channels a chance now

James Woods Fan posted:

It looks like it has potential to be really good as long as it's period setting/world-building, characters, dialogue, etc feel authentic to it's times, and not just like modern people nostalgia-larping like a lot of other period shows come off as

savinhill fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 25, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I haven't finished it yet but yeah Mr. Robot being on USA is weird as gently caress because it's better than most HBO/Showtime original programming, which is like... whoah.

I just wish USA would start airing old Space Ghost again.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

savinhill posted:

^^^^Mr Robot being on USA has made me willing to give new shows on regurely, previously poo poo-for-original-programming cable channels a chance now

Spartacus/Starz, Buffy/WB, Impractical Jokers/TruTV, Banshee/Cinemax and Unreal/Lifetime did it for me first, but yeah, I agree.

I never watched them but Monk, White Collar and Burn Notice were on USA. Those shows are kind of OK yeah?

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Aug 25, 2015

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Leverage was on TNT and CW has iZombie.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

xcore posted:

Spartacus/Starz, Buffy/WB, Impractical Jokers/TruTV, Banshee/Cinemax and Unreal/Lifetime did it for me first, but yeah, I agree.

I never watched them but Monk, White Collar and Burn Notice were on USA. Those shows are kind of OK yeah?

Mr Robot is balls to the wall awesome, while USA is the "those shows are kind of OK yeah?" network is actually a really good way of putting it

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I haven't watched Complications yet but I assume it's much darker than typical USA fare, and they have Colony coming up in the fall, which looks like a thriller/sci-fi drama about occupation/collaboration/family and all those other themes rather than about a handsome white man doing the same police/doctor/lawyer thing every week.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Mr. Robot and WWE Raw is all I can watch on USA. I never cared for any of their "Beach Cop" or "Spy Doctor" shows over the last decade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDxVi8gbHZ4

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

precision posted:

I haven't finished it yet but yeah Mr. Robot being on USA is weird as gently caress because it's better than most HBO/Showtime original programming, which is like... whoah.

TV has gotten so god drat good that there are tons of channels out there with at least one show that could easily be on a premium network, and it's awesome. Just out of channels/shows I watch: FX has Fargo and The Americans, USA has Mr. Robot, WGN has Manhattan, NBC has/had Hannibal, SyFy has 12 Monkeys, along with a bunch that I'm sure I'm forgetting. TV's alright these days.

xcore posted:

They're basically all inoffensive and entertaining, which is pretty much USA's motto. Monk is kind of a fun goofy show that I somehow always end up watching like 5 episodes of whenever I'm on vacation and it's on TV, White Collar was pretty good but I fell off about 2 seasons in, and Burn Notice was pretty good but I eventually stopped watching like 6 seasons in. Pretty much every USA show follows the same formula of having some big, overarching plotline that's only ever touched on in the season premiere, mid-season finale, and season finales while being by-the-book procedurals the rest of the time. If you want to check one out Suits is pretty good and has some fun characters along with some genuinely funny dialogue. Also you can tell that they felt special for being able to say poo poo because they do it a whole lot in the first season.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

xcore posted:

God forbid they try and do some characterisation at the start of new show...

Evidently.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

I'm actually not defending anime, I'm just saying that anime has a wide range of terribleness and that being anime doesn't mean it has giant robots and teenage ninjas in it.

Only like, 90% of it does.

I thought no two animes could be compared to each other though

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Oh for gently caress's sake why argue about anime when you can make fun of me for starting yet another thread (this time for Public Morals, since there seems to be interest).

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
First episode of Blunt Talk was awesome (minus one or two exceedingly weak scenes). A Jonathan Ames show through-and-through.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

USA used to have a formula, but they've definitely abandoned for a few years now. The only show that really followed that formula that's still on the air is maybe Royal Pains but I never saw that so its just an assumption. Suits was the first step halfway away from that in that it was darker in tone than most of their stuff but still had a bit of levity to it. Ever since then they've gone in a completely different direction with darker shows to varying success starting with shows like Graceland and Complications before finally getting a legit great show in Mr. Robot. They still do comedies too but more in the traditional sitcom vein instead of their old hour long dramedy formula.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

That's what I hear, but it's also long as hell.

A bit late but I'm watching Legend of Galactic Heroes right now and it's awesome. I'm not anti-anime, but it largely doesn't feel like any other anime. Apart from the space scenes there's no real reason why it couldn't have been live action, 90% of the show is just characters sitting in rooms, talking. This might sound like a lovely, hyperbolic analogy, but it's basically Star Trek crossed with The Wire - a space show about the sociopolitical ramifications of war and power seen from the perspectives of multiple factions, with a pretty large, diverse cast.

I don't think it could convert everyone, there are still plenty of weird Japanese/anime affectations like 16-year olds being the smartest, most capable people in the universe, and a lot of soliloquies about fate and rebellion, but contrasted with every other anime it's positively sedate.

I'd say give it a go if you like Deep Space Nine or the good parts of BSG, or if you just want a sci-fi show that actually feels very down to earth, which sounds weird considering how ridiculously large scale it is. Keeping in mind it was made in the late 80s (and based on presumably even older novels), it's remarkable how prescient and relevant it is in today's political climate.

It's 110 episodes which sounds long, but really since the episodes are only ~20 minutes long that's the equivalent of like 2.5 seasons of any given Star Trek show.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

X-O posted:

USA used to have a formula, but they've definitely abandoned for a few years now. The only show that really followed that formula that's still on the air is maybe Royal Pains but I never saw that so its just an assumption. Suits was the first step halfway away from that in that it was darker in tone than most of their stuff but still had a bit of levity to it. Ever since then they've gone in a completely different direction with darker shows to varying success starting with shows like Graceland and Complications before finally getting a legit great show in Mr. Robot. They still do comedies too but more in the traditional sitcom vein instead of their old hour long dramedy formula.

I'd argue that TNT's in a similar position now, trying to run shows that have some edge or heat to them but unable to get them to stick in a culturally significant way. (Not that they have to, I understand The Last Ship is a ratings monster.)

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I really didn't give a poo poo about Colony, after sitting through Falling Skies for all these years until I saw that it stars Josh Holloway. I'll watch anything that dude is in.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

I really didn't give a poo poo about Colony, after sitting through Falling Skies for all these years until I saw that it stars Josh Holloway. I'll watch anything that dude is in.

Unless they manage to out-stupid this week's episode, Falling Skies will be a show I remember for killing off a major character/antagonist after the entire run in 2 minutes with loving exploding video game barrels.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I haven't watched the episode yet but I know exactly which character you are talking about and that makes me sad.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

DivisionPost posted:

I'd argue that TNT's in a similar position now, trying to run shows that have some edge or heat to them but unable to get them to stick in a culturally significant way.

Every network is trying to launch its own prestige drama because that's the hot thing nowadays. Ten years ago it was reality shows and five years from now it'll be something different. The problem with TNT isn't that they're producing bad shows per se, but that viewers are more sophisticated than they were 10-15 years ago. Back when The Sopranos was the only prestige drama on television, people didn't think of it as a prestige drama, but simply as a good drama. Over the ensuing 15 years, the curtain has been pulled back and we now know that Prestige Drama is a genre of its own, with it own tropes and ways of telling stories. So where, for a long time, prestige dramas were synonymous with "good," we've reached a point where we can rate prestige dramas against each other instead of against soaps, and network and procedural dramas. There are now good prestige dramas, bad prestige dramas and, in TNT's case, mediocre prestige dramas, and the premiere of every new prestige drama isn't a loving event that needs to be celebrated, because, the truth is, most prestige dramas are absolute poo poo.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I'm still hype for narcos though because it looks bitchin

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Remember when Falling Skies was supposed to be the sci-fi version of Band of Brothers, and the writers room included guys like Graham Yost, Fred Golan, and Joe Weisberg?

You'd think that would go somewhere...

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Actually, what good dramas are on channels besides the premium channels? or were? I'm pretty out of touch wrt television. I haven't even heardof Manhattan and i'd never loving watch wgn otherwise but it looks good so please feel free to sugest stuff you would assume someone would have heard of before, i probably havent.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Actually, what good dramas are on channels besides the premium channels? or were? I'm pretty out of touch wrt television. I haven't even heardof Manhattan and i'd never loving watch wgn otherwise but it looks good so please feel free to sugest stuff you would assume someone would have heard of before, i probably havent.

UnReal. Watch UnReal.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

For Network:
People really liked the first few seasons of The Good Wife. Also, Person of Interest and Empire have their fans.

For regular Cable:
Better Call Saul and Fargo are both really good.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PoI is coming to Netflix in September, with the first three seasons up on the first and the fourth up on like the 22nd.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Does How To Get Away With Murder count as a drama? I never really watched it but it seemed like it had a lot of buzz last fall / spring.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Person of Interest is so bad :(

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

What the gently caress is wrong with your brain.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Its a lot like Agents of SHIELD in that it becomes really good if you add enough qualifying terms.

You know, the first season is really bad but it sets up a lot of stuff that pays off in the second season and there's a lot of foreshadowing and the fight scenes are really well done on a tv budget Jesus is supposed to act all stiff and no he's not playing the same character from Lost he's just really nuanced and no that's not a crime of the week format but yeah it really is yeah I know that's kind of hammy, but if you can get past all that, its one of the best shows on television.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
PoI only has about 4 bad episodes throughout its entire run, everything else ranges from good to great. The worst being Terra Incognita, the 20th ep of season 4. I personally consider it non-canonical fan fiction.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Person of Interest is on CBS and that's where that show belongs.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Mu Zeta posted:

Person of Interest is on CBS and that's where that show belongs.

CBS is a fine network with a long history of producing high quality, memorable television programs.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Aug 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

What I saw of POI indicated it suffers the same problem virtually all network dramas suffer from - they have to write 24 episodes a season, and for the first few seasons need to make it accessible for everyone watching for the 1st time, so you get no real plot progression and crime/monster of the week episodes that get a bit boring after a while.

I only have time to watch a few dramas a year, so I pretty much stick to HBO, FX etc and now Mr Robot.

• Locked thread