Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

TheBuilder posted:

Google is really digging at the bottom of the barrel by partnering with Huawei on a Nexus.

A rather stupid comment. Huawei makes some excellent hardware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I replaced my old Galaxy S3 which my daughter uses for games with a 2nd gen Moto E. Holy crap is that a nice phone for $40, battery life on that is great. Only complaint is that it (and the Moto G which just arrived) comes with some garbage half amp charger with a cord that doesn't come off.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
The other thing working against Huawei is they've been trying to get an American foothold for years but basically get shut down by the US government at every opportunity. Far too many rumors of them being buddy buddy with the Chinese government or military pretty much.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

MrBond posted:

The other thing working against Huawei is they've been trying to get an American foothold for years but basically get shut down by the US government at every opportunity. Far too many rumors of them being buddy buddy with the Chinese government or military pretty much.

If I recall, they've been making those free-with-a-month-of-prepaid-service phones for folks like the pre-Aio Cricket, ST, and such for a while.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

If I recall, they've been making those free-with-a-month-of-prepaid-service phones for folks like the pre-Aio Cricket, ST, and such for a while.

Yeah. Brand recognition is one of their problems and then just moving up into flagships is another. I imagine the problems they have selling telecommunications infrastructure won't directly translate to smartphones :)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

MrBond posted:

Yeah. Brand recognition is one of their problems and then just moving up into flagships is another. I imagine the problems they have selling telecommunications infrastructure won't directly translate to smartphones :)

Brand reputation is a third thing - they're stuck between obscurity and being known for making cheapo phones. Not necessarily lovely phones, but cheap ones. However, with the way the phone market is, cheap might as well be lovely because it means they went with an ugly screen or a bad-even-for-Android camera or a hand-warmer processor or a jihad battery. Moto pulled it off somehow, I guess we're left to see if Huawei can too.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

WhyteRyce posted:

I replaced my old Galaxy S3 which my daughter uses for games with a 2nd gen Moto E. Holy crap is that a nice phone for $40, battery life on that is great. Only complaint is that it (and the Moto G which just arrived) comes with some garbage half amp charger with a cord that doesn't come off.

I hadn't considered this. If I used a different charger would my Moto G charge faster? I thought it was just the same as any other charger.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

MrBond posted:

Captain Yossarian posted:

I have an Ascend Mate 2 and it's the best phone I've ever owned. 10+ hours of screen on time using LTE is nothing to sneeze at either.

To clarify : the Mate 2 is sold in the US

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Anyone else with an S6/Edge on At&t having a ridiculously hard time updating to this latest build change that came ota in the last month? I feel like I've gotten the update several times this year where it's updated the build from OE2 to OF3 or something. Late june I had one that indicated "Real update from OE2 to OF3" which was weird like I had gotten a fake build update prior to that. Now for the last month or so I've had this same update come over that just fails at 30% installed every time. I have plenty of space on my phone for the update, I've cleared the downloaded OTA a few times and redownloaded it etc. Starting to think the build is hosed up, but I haven't seen anyone experiencing the same issue when googling.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Captain Yossarian posted:

To clarify : the Mate 2 is sold in the US

From a quick googling: apparently only off-contract. I don't think they have any on-contract phones in the US.

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
Reading this thread from Europe makes the US look like a terrible place to buy smartphones!

Also, Huawei is a brand that's quite present in Spain, never had one myself but they don't seem to be worse than other brands, so I don't get all the skepticism.

Cable fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 25, 2015

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Don't accidentally put the S-Pen into your Note 5 backwards, even though it's extremely easy to do :ohdear:

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Daily Forecast posted:

I hadn't considered this. If I used a different charger would my Moto G charge faster? I thought it was just the same as any other charger.

Chargers are different. Also, USB cables are different! Dedicated charging cables have two pins shorted to tell the device it's safe to draw more current through them.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Some more pictures of the Droid MAXX 2. Looks 100% identical to the X Play. It even has soft buttons.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/08/25/droid-maxx-2-verizon/

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Cable posted:

Reading this thread from Europe makes the US look like a terrible place to buy smartphones!

Also, Huawei is a brand that's quite present in Spain, never had one myself but they don't seem to be worse than other brands, so I don't get all the skepticism.

They're more of a cheap bargain brand here in the US. Plus I believe there was some spyware on their phones previously and people though it was the Chinese government spying on US citizens or something

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Cable posted:

Carrier customs are especially asstastic but at this point I'm pretty sure it's iPhone, Nexus or misery when you go to buy a phone no matter where you are.

Exploitable TeamViewer now. This is even in Moto X 2014 Pure Edition stock ROMs (probably for Motorola remote support or something, but still). Yikes.

pun pundit posted:

Chargers are different. Also, USB cables are different! Dedicated charging cables have two pins shorted to tell the device it's safe to draw more current through them.

What even is the point of this. Why wouldn't you just short the pins in the charger? Charge-only USB cables sound like a recipe for massive confusion.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I've only seen these charging-only cables rarely and always bundled cheaply with some random charging products (mostly external batteries). Is this a common thing? I mean, the QC2.0 cables are all data-capable as well.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Sir Unimaginative posted:

What even is the point of this. Why wouldn't you just short the pins in the charger? Charge-only USB cables sound like a recipe for massive confusion.

I got one with my Bluetooth running headphones since there is never any need to transfer data from a computer to them.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
My dashcam has to have the pins shorted otherwise it thinks its plugged into a pc. I just put a small bit of tape over the 2 center pins.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I told my co-worker about this and to not do it. What does he do? Does it that instant and gets his pen stuck. :downs:

Also I love my S6 Edge+, gently caress the haters

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

Charge only makes a ton of sense when you might be plugging in your device to arbitrary USB ports while traveling and don't want malware.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Drythe posted:

I told my co-worker about this and to not do it. What does he do? Does it that instant and gets his pen stuck. :downs:

Also I love my S6 Edge+, gently caress the haters

And so began Pengate 2015

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

The point of it is that when the USB standard was first conceived, the large batteries and quick charge times desired today was not in anyone's mind. So the design calls for cables to carry just a small current, enough to power peripherals like mice and headphones. Cables were designed based on this specification. Later, people realised more power would be neccessary, but transferring all that current through cables designed for the original specifications would turn them into a fire hazard. Since using less copper is cheaper, most people who make USB cables will go for the original specifications. The dedicated charging cables are still capable of transferring data, they're just more expensive to make.

Hopefully the new reversible plug is designed with enough power carrying capability in its spec to not need this sort of kludge tacked on later.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Charge only cables really don't have any physical differences to enable them to carry more current (in the grand scheme of things, an amp or two is nothing at these voltage levels). They just screw with the signaling that may enable a device to draw current outside of USB spec (by shorting the data pins.)

How an individual device and power source reacts to those pins being shorted can vary. Some may obey USB spec and see the shorted pins and refuse to draw anything other than minimum spec power. Some may see the shorted pins, assume they are on AC power, and ask the charger for more current. That's part and parcel to doing things out of spec, different devices can react differently.

I think, for the most part, most modern phones and chargers don't really care about specific cables.

Edit:

Technically, shorted data pins are part of the USB charging spec, but that shorting is supposed to be done on the charger side.

The issue is, BEFORE that, many devices were using the data pins to signal what the charger is capable of. Apple does this for the iPhone. The charger puts different signals over the data pins which tells the device how much current to draw.

That's where the "charging cable" basically came from. The amount of current that is drawn is up to the device. By having a cable that shorts those pins, you are telling the device that (per usb charging spec) you can request full current. That basically enables AC charging on devices that are built around the Apple Charging spec.

So, short story is, charging only cables should only be necessary for chargers that aren't doing their own shorting of the data lines and are using the data lines to signal what power can be drawn from the charger.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 25, 2015

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

bull3964 posted:

I think, for the most part, most modern phones and chargers don't really care about specific cables.

Yeah, I used to splice open my cables to snip the data pins but now I don't even bother. Haven't had any slow charging using any of the 1-2A chargers I've got littered around. Just get cables of appropriate gauge if you are that worried and maybe a decent Anker charger that handles both Apple and everybody else style charging

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 25, 2015

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I got extra batteries for my S5 because gently caress charge cables, like with my S and S3 though I've noticed a crack in the back cover. Now I'm left to shell out loving $40 it looks like for a replacement or else cheap out and have to wait 10 years for it to come from China and then it wont even be waterproof eeeeeeee.

I've been wanting something else for a while but I don't think there is really anything out there that conforms to what I want, that is, removable battery, SD slot or at least 64gb internal, and no greater than 5".

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Re: "Pengate", I just looked at the Ars pictures, and that's not the type of upside-down I was expecting for this to be a huge deal. From the headlines, I figured that if you put the pen in with the tip first, but not rotated the right way, something'd break. What kind of an idiot puts the pen in with the pointy bit facing out??

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

hooah posted:

Re: "Pengate", I just looked at the Ars pictures, and that's not the type of upside-down I was expecting for this to be a huge deal. From the headlines, I figured that if you put the pen in with the tip first, but not rotated the right way, something'd break. What kind of an idiot puts the pen in with the pointy bit facing out??

Kids, friends/family borrowing the phone who don't know, people not paying attention, drunks, etc...

The fact is, all it would take is the same drat thing every other stylus-having phone and PDA made in the last 20 years has/had: a bump, notch, flare, etc...that prevents it from going in the wrong way.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 25, 2015

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

bull3964 posted:

Charge only cables really don't have any physical differences to enable them to carry more current (in the grand scheme of things, an amp or two is nothing at these voltage levels).

Cables don't care about voltage (except for insulation purposes); they care about current. Have you measured the copper in charging cables vs. non-charging cables?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

hooah posted:

Really seems like it's just people digging up stuff because "samsung is bad lol"

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

People don't like certain aspects of things so they try to make them seem like poo poo. Most Android users do the same to all apple phones from what I've seen.

But the phone having that issue is pretty funny, especially since people seem to end up trying it when you tell them.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

pun pundit posted:

Cables don't care about voltage (except for insulation purposes); they care about current. Have you measured the copper in charging cables vs. non-charging cables?

First, there's no need to measure. Cables should have a specified gauge.

There's no 'spec' around USB charging only cables (aside from having the data pins shorted) so it's more a question of variance in the amount of copper used per different manufacturers of cables than anything else. Higher gauge wiring is going to allow for less voltage drop over a longer run, but for short runs you aren't going to have any advantages over the standard 28 awg which is going to be more than capable of handling the amount current over most charging applications.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Really seems like it's just people digging up stuff because "samsung is bad lol"

I'd say the only really bad part is that it can disable pen recognition. I get why it does given some internal pen sensor but combined with a pen that doesn't prevent you from making it reversible in the slot, it's kinda silly.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
If anyone else has got an S6 with US Cellular - I just got the OTA update with the jailbreak fix and some other bugfixes. Looks like it added Samsung Gear, Samsung +, and Samsung Pay apps as well. I think the filesize was around 366MB.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Has anyone seen really poor GPS performance on a Nexus 5 recently?

My fiancee's GPS as of a couple of weeks ago has had huge delays in updating where she is (i.e. she opened Maps just now and it is showing her at a location she was at on Sunday evening). We use G+ location sharing pretty regularly, so we know it worked well up until a couple of weeks ago. It's probably a coincidence, but it started happening when we were at a location with terrible service for a couple of days. Obviously I wouldn't expect location to be precise while there, but it has remained awful ever since. I'm having her download GPS status and clear GPS data like that, but if that doesn't work, does she have to do a full wipe? Is this a known issue?

EDIT: If she opens Maps and sits there for a long time, it usually (but not always) eventually updates to the right place, but it is much longer than the usual GPS lock acquire time (several minutes, even on a very clear day). Background location services seem universally awful though, unless she actually triggers a manual update.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Aug 25, 2015

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Grumpwagon posted:

Has anyone seen really poor GPS performance on a Nexus 5 recently?

My fiancee's GPS as of a couple of weeks ago has had huge delays in updating where she is (i.e. she opened Maps just now and it is showing her at a location she was at on Sunday evening). We use G+ location sharing pretty regularly, so we know it worked well up until a couple of weeks ago. It's probably a coincidence, but it started happening when we were at a location with terrible service for a couple of days. Obviously I wouldn't expect location to be precise while there, but it has remained awful ever since. I'm having her download GPS status and clear GPS data like that, but if that doesn't work, does she have to do a full wipe? Is this a known issue?

EDIT: If she opens Maps and sits there for a long time, it usually (but not always) eventually updates to the right place, but it is much longer than the usual GPS lock acquire time (several minutes, even on a very clear day). Background location services seem universally awful though, unless she actually triggers a manual update.

Nexus 5 has always been prone to GPS issues. Make sure the back is fully snapped on. Then download the GPS Test app and see if it's getting satellite lock when outside.

There's also a "fix" that involves sticking a piece of cardboard in there too keep the antenna connected. Google it. I'm on mobile otherwise I'd link you.

SB35 fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 25, 2015

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

bull3964 posted:

Some more pictures of the Droid MAXX 2. Looks 100% identical to the X Play. It even has soft buttons.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/08/25/droid-maxx-2-verizon/

Excited if this is the case but still I can't help but say 'ugh' at seeing those VZW chat/voicemail icons. More crap to disable.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

MrBond posted:

I'd say the only really bad part is that it can disable pen recognition. I get why it does given some internal pen sensor but combined with a pen that doesn't prevent you from making it reversible in the slot, it's kinda silly.

You can set pen detection to always be on, but the setting implies it uses power (I haven't noticed any significant drain on my tablet). It's hardly ideal, but won't render the pen unusable.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
So Motorola's whole thing with the next gen phones was decoupling them from the carriers to speed up updates, but then they go lock one of them to a carrier anyway? Verizon must pay an absolute fortune for their exclusives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

So Motorola's whole thing with the next gen phones was decoupling them from the carriers to speed up updates, but then they go lock one of them to a carrier anyway? Verizon must pay an absolute fortune for their exclusives.

I learned about a Verizon and Motorola deal from a buddy of mine last week whose brother works at a Verizon store. According to him, Motorola was offering all carriers the option to carry their new phones, which was odd to hear since I thought Motorola wasn't going to go down that path with these new phones. So it looks like his info was partially right: Motorla was indeed offering carrier-locked phones, but apparently only the Play model. No other carrier bit except Verizon, thus the horribly named Droid MAXX 2 that is actually a Play model.

I was actually thinking about posting that info here at the time, but figured he had his info mixed up and didn't bother.