Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
This episode hinted towards Maura, but Nashetania is still acting suspicious too. The points other people have made about narrative impact are good ones; Nashetania is still the most likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

I'd love for the narrative impact theory to be true, but it does rely on us making the huge assumption that the author has the competence and/or balls to do it, which would be a very rare thing. I imagine that if it plays out that way there'll still be some cop-out at the end, though I would be impressed if it really ends up with them straight up murdering Nash and going on with their quest with that baggage on their shoulders.

I thought the stomach swamp monsters counting as saints this episode was a really poor decision, regardless of whether that factors into the solution to the puzzle. Setting up a logic puzzle in a magical world is problematic as it is, casually throwing in this kind of exception is a total slap to the face and makes it feel like anything can happen now. I really hope the solution doesn't rely on magic at all.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
If they wanted narrative impact via Nash, they could have pointed the facts at her instead when it was being written.

The swamp-fiend thing is just one more fact. Basically all it means is that Chamot could have gotten a swamp thing inside, but she probably still could not have opened the door (because it would have been too noticeable).

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the LN says Chamot's Fiends "ignored the barrier," not specifying a reason or contrived-sounding magic stuff, if that helps.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Also, unless it's somehow overturned that Chamot doesn't know the ritual, even her being able to get a swamp fiend inside won't make her a suspect. Seems like a red herring to me at the moment.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
How long did it take Chamot to eat all those fiends?

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

I was wondering that too.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Do you think she ate the one shape-shifting fiend? Maybe it still remembers something.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Still saying there's not a fake.

e: Also like Chamot doing the thing I said she'd do that a guy itt said was too farfetched or whatever.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Nothing I've seen has dissuaded me from thinking I'm right about it being Nash. Actually, Adlet's unspecified doubt about the activation method only makes me more sure. He has clearly come to the same conclusion I did. :colbert:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Kild posted:

so what, the entire premise is just a fake-out? that's dumb as hell

e: even if you're discounting a fake based on technicalities, it's still dumb

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Aug 25, 2015

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Kild posted:

Even if there wasn't a fake, someone still stuck them there.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Nah, it's just a really foggy day and they all have awful sense of direction.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

dogsicle posted:

so what, the entire premise is just a fake-out? that's dumb as hell

e: even if you're discounting a fake based on technicalities, it's still dumb

Yes.

Jackard posted:

Even if there wasn't a fake, someone still stuck them there.

Yes somehow they got stuck there. But I do not believe its because of a fake.

Everything we know about the Temple are from the guards which we cannot say are trustworthy. Even Chester didn't know much about it and got most of her info from those guards as well.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

That line of thinking really doesn't help the characters out of their predicament. "lol what if everything was a lie??"

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Man what if... what if they're all the 7th?!?

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

This is all a poison induced hallucination from Hans.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009
I had a thought today. What if the fog isn't being created by the temple, but rather by the fog saint? The fog saint could be the 'eighth' that Adlet mentioned a few times. She could be conspiring with the seventh, and she could be hiding nearby and just constantly projecting her fog abilities. That solves the problem of how someone snuck in to activate the temple, because it wouldn't have been activated at all.

If that's what is going on, then it really narrows down the possibilities for the seventh. I can't see Adlet, Hans, or Flamie having the connections necessary to convince the fog saint to even talk to the fog saint, let alone try to convince her to join in on a plan to stop the heroes. Goldov would be in a slightly better position, but I still think he wouldn't be able to talk her into it. Chamot doesn't seem like the kind of person to come up with a complicated plan like that, either. So that leaves Maura (who works closely with all the saints) and Nash (who is a princess) who have the connections and would possibly know the fog saint well enough to get her to go along with their plans.

I am not sure how they would even reveal something like that, though. Maybe one of the heroes has a way to tell if the barrier has been activated or not, and they didn't think to do it because they could clearly see the fog?

JimmyT64
Oct 27, 2007
I'm Special!

of bees posted:

I had a thought today. What if the fog isn't being created by the temple, but rather by the fog saint? The fog saint could be the 'eighth' that Adlet mentioned a few times. She could be conspiring with the seventh, and she could be hiding nearby and just constantly projecting her fog abilities. That solves the problem of how someone snuck in to activate the temple, because it wouldn't have been activated at all.

If that's what is going on, then it really narrows down the possibilities for the seventh. I can't see Adlet, Hans, or Flamie having the connections necessary to convince the fog saint to even talk to the fog saint, let alone try to convince her to join in on a plan to stop the heroes. Goldov would be in a slightly better position, but I still think he wouldn't be able to talk her into it. Chamot doesn't seem like the kind of person to come up with a complicated plan like that, either. So that leaves Maura (who works closely with all the saints) and Nash (who is a princess) who have the connections and would possibly know the fog saint well enough to get her to go along with their plans.

I am not sure how they would even reveal something like that, though. Maybe one of the heroes has a way to tell if the barrier has been activated or not, and they didn't think to do it because they could clearly see the fog?

This would be a valid point if it hadn't been shown that the barrier IS active - at the beginning of one of the episodes Catman and not-Batman wander around the forest a load with string, and its shown that they literally cannot leave.

Now having the fog saint fog the area up when the doors open, and then ACTUALLY activating the barrier later, before anyone can actually try getting out, that is a valid line of inquiry. More likely to be the Sun Saint though, because shes been mentioned a couple of times, whereas I don't believe a fog saint has actually come up. Before reaching the temple, there were several complaints about the heat, whereas soon after, people started mentioning how cold it was, so if the Sun Saint can both strengthen AND weaken sunlight in an area, she could cause fog to happen quite easily.

If that's the case, then Bunnygirl is almost certainly the culprit, with her crazy berserk mode act at the altar being the ACTUAL activation of the barrier. The problem of motive for both parties remains unsolved, though for the princess, it would probably have something to do with the rebellion that happened in her kingdom.

(This was supposed to be a short post about how what you proposed is wrong, look what you made me do.)

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

JimmyT64 posted:

This would be a valid point if it hadn't been shown that the barrier IS active - at the beginning of one of the episodes Catman and not-Batman wander around the forest a load with string, and its shown that they literally cannot leave.

Now having the fog saint fog the area up when the doors open, and then ACTUALLY activating the barrier later, before anyone can actually try getting out, that is a valid line of inquiry. More likely to be the Sun Saint though, because shes been mentioned a couple of times, whereas I don't believe a fog saint has actually come up. Before reaching the temple, there were several complaints about the heat, whereas soon after, people started mentioning how cold it was, so if the Sun Saint can both strengthen AND weaken sunlight in an area, she could cause fog to happen quite easily.

If that's the case, then Bunnygirl is almost certainly the culprit, with her crazy berserk mode act at the altar being the ACTUAL activation of the barrier. The problem of motive for both parties remains unsolved, though for the princess, it would probably have something to do with the rebellion that happened in her kingdom.

(This was supposed to be a short post about how what you proposed is wrong, look what you made me do.)

:hf: I have a comrade!

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

JimmyT64 posted:

That could be how the fog saint works though, they control the temperature around them to make fog happen. If the area was naturally warm, then the fog saint could drop the temperature and boom, fog.

You're right though, if the fog was a cover, then the way Nash acted is pretty damning. But I still can't see a motivation for her to be the 7th, though.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Her dad tried to kill her, right?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Jackard posted:

That line of thinking really doesn't help the characters out of their predicament. "lol what if everything was a lie??"

As if everything already isn't? I'm not the 7th and there's no way anyone but you could do it Adlet-san!

The guards already lied assuming its not a TL issue where they said the 'other braves' as in multiple left 2 days ago even though Chester was the only one since Hans joined up with her later and Chamot was alone.

The guards only trusted because they're human but as show in Adlet's flashback humans can be tempted and changed. More than 6 Braves is just unprecedented and wouldn't even be a lie.

Kild fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 26, 2015

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

dogsicle posted:

that's dumb as hell

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Anime is in fact often times dumb as hell. Though its not much dumber than it was the bunny girl with the magical swords that go 500ft+ without anyone noticing because she's actually some evil vile person who hates humans after her dad tried to politically assassinate her. Oh and also enlisted the help of several types of demons to corral them all together.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Kild, please stop shitposting. I've read the LN and will say with absolute certainty that one of the seven is a fake Brave and also a traitor. The anime is following the exact same clues and events so there's not even an excuse of an anime original ending.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Man shitposting stupid drug-trip theories is half the point of this dumb thread. Way to ruin it.

JimmyT64
Oct 27, 2007
I'm Special!

of bees posted:

That could be how the fog saint works though, they control the temperature around them to make fog happen. If the area was naturally warm, then the fog saint could drop the temperature and boom, fog.

The main reason I think its the sun saint and not the fog saint is that I don't remember the fog saint being mentioned at all in the story, whereas the sun saint has come up several times.

Meta reasoning, I know, but the point of a detective story is that all the clues are there in the story, with no "Mystery person X"/"Mystery power X" allowed. As has been mentioned before, all clues must be presented to you in a good whodunit.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Also worthwhile to note that Adlet asked Flamie if she had gone after the Sun Saint since the Sun Saint was reported missing, and she said no.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
where were you guys two weeks ago when i said exactly that, HARRUMPH :colbert:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I'm kidding. I'm not actually mad. This is a good show. :)

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

l

dogsicle posted:

Kild, please stop shitposting. I've read the LN and will say with absolute certainty that one of the seven is a fake Brave and also a traitor. The anime is following the exact same clues and events so there's not even an excuse of an anime original ending.

lol

can someone ban the actual shitposter who's posting spoilers.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

tbqh, for me its all these LN-readers posting LN information without spoiler bars who are making GBS threads this thread up.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I don't view that as a spoiler, more like confirmation that the series isn't going to do some lame as hell cop-out and will stick to the premise of the mystery.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's good to know that all of the clues will lead to something substantial, instead of throwing it all away to do a ~wacky twist~

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The wacky twist is that Rokka is actually really fun and good.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

agreed, and I personally don't need any LN information to know that. :shrug:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

It's true!

I'm done reading this ridiculous thread tho.

maybeflan
May 15, 2014

a kitten posted:

It's true!

I'm done reading this ridiculous thread tho.

Sorry, Cantaloupe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I especially like it when Adlet was first facing Flemie and wasn't just bravely calling her bluff but was actually carefully prepared an escape plan and watching her carefully with a mirror like the goddamn batman he is.

• Locked thread