Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Quandary posted:

Oklahoma just named the starting QB: Baker Mayfield, Tech transfer will be starting over Trevor "2013 sugar bowl" Knight.

Now all the sports radio shows are going to blow a load because the guy could be something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Anything that gives K-State an edge on Oklahoma is a good thing. K-State hasn't beaten OU at home since 1996.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Frackie Robinson posted:

Lol if you're watching this poo poo when you could be betting on zero week high school games.

I'm both fifteen years to old and fifteen years to young to give a poo poo about high school football.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Regnevelc posted:

E: Haha, Morris overthrew a receiver at one point and the ball sailed into the crowd.

I got some wicked joe bauserman flashbacks from this phrase. Like. Terrifying memories of a terrible former minor league pitcher trying to hit people in the club seats from between the hash marks.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Thoguh posted:

I'm both fifteen years to old and fifteen years to young to give a poo poo about high school football.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Regnevelc posted:

Pretty much every report from Michigan's student only live practice has said that Rudock (I CAN LEARN MV) is far and away the better QB than Morris and took every first team rep during the practice.

E: Haha, Morris overthrew a receiver at one point and the ball sailed into the crowd.

Enjoy your completely average starting Big Ten QB.

This isn't even sarcastic, he's probably a genuine upgrade. You could definitely do a lot worse. And who knows maybe Harbaugh Alex Smiths him into something.

go3 posted:

I can't even imagine how bad Knight had to have been for Mayfield to get the nod

I watched several Oklahoma games last year so I can.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

buddhanc posted:

Isn't Oklahoma's offensive line really inexperienced? I'm p sure the longhorn d line is going to murder Mayfield

Every drop back is gonna be that same feeling of dread I felt for Ash

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

MourningView posted:

Enjoy your completely average starting Big Ten QB.

This isn't even sarcastic, he's probably a genuine upgrade. You could definitely do a lot worse. And who knows maybe Harbaugh Alex Smiths him into something.

Michigan with an average QB wins 7-8 games last year (and likely saves Hoke's job......)

They said he was absolutely on the money, so that works. My only concern is lack of playmakers at WR and lack of a running game. If the running game gels through the year it'll be fine.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

buddhanc posted:

Isn't Oklahoma's offensive line really inexperienced? I'm p sure the longhorn d line is going to murder Mayfield

I believe that is correct. He took 7 sacks the last time he played against Texas, let's see if we can do better this year.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Dalvin Cook found not guilty.

Also apparently alcohol is now banned in the USC locker room as some dumb response to Sark I guess? Which just begs the question "Wait it was allowed before?"

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Never not post this when Mayfield comes up.

If I hadn't already toxxed myself I would for Mayfield not being OU's starter by the end of the season.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

VDay posted:

Also apparently alcohol is now banned in the USC locker room as some dumb response to Sark I guess? Which just begs the question "Wait it was allowed before?"

Haha I hope to god this dude is a legit sportswriter for USC

quote:

InsideUSC ‏@InsideUSC 38m38 minutes ago
Alcohol has been banned from #USC locker room for games this season

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
InsideUSC and InsideUCLA are the LA Daily News' blogs about each team so yeah, he's a legit sportswriter.

Zifnab
Aug 21, 2005

Hope Springs Eternal

VDay posted:

Just for this season too, for some reason. This whole article is pretty funny

quote:

According to sources who did not wish to be identified within the athletic dept. administration, Sarkisian drank alcohol in the USC locker room after games last season at the Coliseum and on the road.

Former USC coach Lane Kiffin also consumed alcohol after games but interim coach Ed Orgeron said he banned it from the locker room when he took over in 2013. Sarkisian brought back alcohol last season and several sources said there was a culture of drinking that existed.

This is believed to be a carryover from his days at the University of Washington, where he served as head coach from 2009-2013.

“There were always beers and stuff around,” said a former Washington athletic department employee who asked not to be identified.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
no wonder they had such a great recruiting class if the locker room is an open bar

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

VDay posted:

https://www.begthequestion.info

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
It's ironic that I didn't know that.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

And Dalvin's suspension is lifted

Hope they hardly play him in the first game

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

pillsburysoldier posted:

Shouldn't need to. Apparently Pender is healthy and looking good too.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

wandler20 posted:

Shouldn't need to. Apparently Pender is healthy and looking good too.

Yup. Dalvin can be eased back into the rotation since he hasn't participated in much of camp. Running him into the ground before he's physically ready would be terrible

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Numlock posted:

Never not post this when Mayfield comes up.

If I hadn't already toxxed myself I would for Mayfield not being OU's starter by the end of the season.

Well he can't start later in the season if he's embedded in the field at the Cotton Bowl, now can he?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
The sooners will finish 5th in the big 12 this year

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

UGA's Justin Scott-Wesley might be done with football for good if the ~*~rumor mill~*~ has anything to say about it. His knees were made of glass but was a big time playmaker when he was healthy. If true, I feel bad for the dude. UGA and knees man. RIP for the knees of anyone who played while our old S&C coach was around.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

pillsburysoldier posted:

Truly, the scales of justice are balanced in Tallahassee.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

LeeMajors posted:

Truly, the scales of justice are balanced in Tallahassee.

The state's case was pretty terrible for what it's worth, including their witnesses saying that Dalvin was trying to calm everyone down and was exceedingly polite, and the accuser asking Dalvin to walk her to the car or something.

When the prosecution's closing statement includes, in some form, "well SOMEONE had to have done it," then your case probably isn't going well

pillsburysoldier fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Aug 25, 2015

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

The Notorious ZSB posted:

This is amazing.

It is a work of art that belongs in a museum

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
So I just saw where someone pointed out that our Australian punter has never played in a football game before. In his first ever football game, he is going to be taking the field for Texas against Notre Dame. That is surreal. I wonder if he can really appreciate how insane that is. I know the history of football is littered with randos who just happened to be good at kicking oblong objects, but still.

e: Also he goes by "Dicko" because Australia

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Aug 25, 2015

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Literally every Australian has a nickname. I guess they're assigned at birth or something.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

People say we suck at sports but they don't understand
It's hard to catch with holes right through your hands
Now that the top 25 is out, here is the schedule for those teams in week 1

Thursday, September 3

Alcorn State at 16 Georgia Tech/ 7:30/ ESPN3

Should I Watch This? If you're a GT fan or really like the triple option. Otherwise, not really.

#2 TCU at Minnesota/9:00/ESPN

Should I Watch This? Yes. Minnesota will probably test TCU early though the Horned Frogs should pull away. Trevone Boykin looks to capitalize on his breakout 2014.

UTSA at #22 Arizona / 10:00/ Pac-12 Network

Should I Watch This? If you 1) really want to 2) need to get to sleep? Scooby Wright is a star on defense and Rich Rod's attack is always fun to watch.

Friday, September 4

#5 Michigan State at Western Michigan /7:00 /ESPNU

Should I Watch This? Going to say yes. MSU is now without DC Pat Narduzzi and PJ Fleck has Rowed The drat Boat for WMU. Sparty will probably need a few series to get some rhythm before taking it all. Common theme with Power 5 teams taking on Group of Five teams in Week 1.

#4 Baylor at SMU / 7 /ESPN
Should I Watch This? No.

Washington at 23 Boise State /10:15/ESPN

Should I Watch This? Yes. A nice non-conference clash as Chris Petersen returns to the school where he built his reputation. Boise continues to be solid, but it's unclear what to expect of the Huskies in a crowded Pac-12.

SATURDAY. SATURDAY!

21 Stanford at Northwestern / 12:00 PM /ESPN

Should I Watch This? Hell yes. This is the first game on Saturday between two academic heavyweights or whatever and Northwestern will do some stupid poo poo. What will Kevin Hogan do?

UL- Monroe at #9 Georgia / 12:00 /SEC Network

Should I Watch This? Nick Chubb's gonna have a highlight you will see all over. Probably not if you have no rooting interest.

Tennessee-Martin at #17 Ole Miss / 12:00/ SEC Network

Should I Watch This? Probably not.

Wofford at #12 Clemson /12:30 /ESPN3

Should I Watch This? Deshaun Watson's gonna do something cool, but otherwise nah

Virginia at 13 UCLA /3:30/ FOX

Should I Watch This? If this were at Noon, yeah. It's at 3:30, so no.

UTEP at 18 Arkansas / 3:30 / ESPNU

Should I Watch This? Again, not in this time slot.

Louisville vs #6 Auburn (Atlanta) /3:30 / CBS

Should I Watch This? Yes. The Chick-Fil-A Kickoff is A Thing Now, and there are two pretty good teams. Louisville might be better than unranked; Auburn has to replace Nick Marshall among others. Gus Malzahn's offense is always fun to watch and Louisville probably wants to make a statement.

SE Missouri State at #24 Mizzou /4:00 / SEC

Should I Watch This? If SEMO is up by like two scores in the fourth quarter.

Bowling Green at #25 Tennessee (Nashville) / 4:00 /SEC

Should I Watch This? Not particularly. The game being in Nashville is interesting, I guess?

Akron at #19 Oklahoma /7:00/

Should I Watch This? OU still insists on making its first game of the year PPV in 2015. I do not understand this. I mean I kind of do, but it's terrible. Not really a good reason to watch this for non-Sooner fans.

#15 Arizona State vs Texas A&M (Houston) /7:00/ ESPN

Should I Watch This? Yes. Louisville/Auburn should coast nicely right into the start of this game. Mike Bercovici leads a strong P12 South Team into Houston to play the Aggies. John Chavis steps in as DC for TAMU, will it make a difference? How will Kyle Allen play? What's the O/U on this game going to be?

McNeese State at #14 LSU/ 7:30/ SEC

Should I Watch This? Nah.

Texas at #11 Notre Dame /7:30 /NBC

Should I Watch This? If this was several years ago. It is not. If it gets close, maybe switch over.

Eastern Washington at 7 Oregon / 8:00 /P12

Should I Watch This? Vernon Adams plays his old team! I mean beyond that, there's not a lot to go on here.

20 Wisconsin vs 3 Alabama (Arlington, TX) /8:00 PM/ abc

Should I Watch This? Believe it or not, the only matchup between ranked teams to open the weekend. Paul Chryst's first game as Wisconsin HC is against Alabama and...it's not going to be pretty. It should be competitive for a while, but it's Bama and they're always too drat good. Switch between this and TAMU/ASU when appropriate.

Texas State at 10 Florida State/ 8:00 /ESPNNews

Should I Watch This? FSU is on ESPN News. Don't watch this.

Arkansas State at 8 USC/11:00 PM /P12

Should I Watch This? Everyone's talking about how Cody Kessler is the best QB no one's talking about. I mean it's kind of true?

Monday, September 7

1 Ohio State at Virginia Tech /8:00/ ESPN

Should I Watch This? Yes, and not just because I'm biased. Ohio State's only loss was famously at home to VT. They're back as champs with a Heisman contender Ezekiel Elliot, the QB conundrum of JT Barrett and Cardale Jones, Braxton Miller at wideout, and a Joey Bosa-less defense. VT has a much-ballyhooed defense including Kendall Fuller, Dadi Nicolas, and Luther Maddy. Oh, and it's at Lane Stadium. It might actually get loud.

A few really good games, and some tomato cans. SOS is becoming a thing--but not to the extent we might desire.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
There is almost no way Minnesota plays competitively in my mind. They're going to get torched. Specifically in regards to TCU game opening the season. I predict an embarrassing rear end beat down on national tv.

soggybagel fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Aug 25, 2015

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Arizona State's RB Coach (and son of head coach) Bo Graham just resigned. That's... weird.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2015/08/24/bo-graham-arizona-state-resign-sun-devils

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Here's a fun, challenging sporcle quiz for y'all: Every FBS Team's Most Common Opponent. I got 89/128 and didn't feel like randomly guessing for the last five minutes.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Henchman of Santa posted:

Here's a fun, challenging sporcle quiz for y'all: Every FBS Team's Most Common Opponent. I got 89/128 and didn't feel like randomly guessing for the last five minutes.

I got 50 but I missed a few. I didn't know that Miss St was the highest played for both Alabama and LSU.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I would never have guessed Arkansas' opponent in a million years, guess that rivalry was before my time.

HeebHustler
Jan 16, 2007

soggybagel posted:

There is almost no way Minnesota plays competitively in my mind. They're going to get torched. Specifically in regards to TCU game opening the season. I predict an embarrassing rear end beat down on national tv.

As one of the only TCU fans here, I can assure you that this will not be some 50 point beatdown. The spread is only a couple of touchdowns and I expect some early mistakes from Boykin will contribute to a pretty exciting game. The biggest problem for Minnesota is that they are unimaginative offensively and will not give TCU's untested new defense much trouble. I expect it to be a really good game with Thur night atmosphere.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

WhatGeorgiaTechMeansToGeorgia.jpg

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Man, those USC alum must be pissed.

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN 5m5 minutes ago
Steve Sarkisian if he has a drinking problem: “I don’t believe so, but I’m going to find that out. I’m going to treatment"

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Sarkisian just had a presser to apologize for mixing meds and booze; says he'll seek some level of treatment and not drink during the season

quote:

@celebrityhottub

Somewhere, Ed Orgeron starts loading an RV with cookies and mapping his route back to Los Angeles.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
If Sark gets fired over this it'd be lame, but if it means another head coaching stint for Ed Orgeron then it'd be worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
There were a lot of guys involved in connecting people with Harbaugh last fall. With the release of Endzone, some of those heroes are starting to emerge and be known.

Tom Brady, hero.

----

Also,

quote:

Dave Brandon proposed that the Ohio State/Michigan game be occasionally moved to October, or in some cases, not played at all. He also proposed that Ohio State and Michigan be in different Big Ten divisions.

AsInHowe fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Aug 25, 2015

• Locked thread