Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Yawgmoft posted:

I'm going to have to echo Big Mean Jerk why ever run a standard X-wing again? Will there be era tournaments?

For the same reason you did before the new core set came out. The unique pilot abilities. I have not seen anyone run a generic X-Wing in the 6 months of weekly playing at the FLGS. You occasionally see Biggs, Luke, or Wedge mixed in though, and I expect you will continue to see them mixed in.

It looks like they made the T-70 good enough that it will fill a nice filler spot where before it would have been 2 Z-95s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
Here's the height of the bitching about spoilers from today's Facebook drama.

I just love it. "We have to stop this to save my precious playtester access... the people who want to see spoilers are so entitled."

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
"Spoilers" for a plastic spaceship game. That's an actual thing that some sad shut-in is upset about tonight.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Poopy Palpy posted:

Here's the height of the bitching about spoilers from today's Facebook drama.

I just love it. "We have to stop this to save my precious playtester access... the people who want to see spoilers are so entitled."

Throw a bag of flaming poo poo through this nerds front window.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Orvin posted:

For the same reason you did before the new core set came out. The unique pilot abilities. I have not seen anyone run a generic X-Wing in the 6 months of weekly playing at the FLGS. You occasionally see Biggs, Luke, or Wedge mixed in though, and I expect you will continue to see them mixed in.

It looks like they made the T-70 good enough that it will fill a nice filler spot where before it would have been 2 Z-95s.

Also the T65 is still cheaper. Wedge Antilles, the most expensive, high PS X-Wang pilot hisself, is 29 points for PS9 and a pretty killer ability. Poe Dameron is 31 points for PS 8 and while his ability is nice it can also be shut down a few ways, on the upside he comes with native boost. I can see it being a situational choice rather than "oh this one is inherently better."

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Can someone update the OP to warn new players that they will :siren: need to buy the new core set in order to gain access to the new damage cards :siren: ? Thanks. I think there will be enough of the old core sets and pilots around that wedge et al. won't be scalped.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Chill la Chill posted:

Can someone update the OP to warn new players that they will :siren: need to buy the new core set in order to gain access to the new damage cards :siren: ? Thanks. I think there will be enough of the old core sets and pilots around that wedge et al. won't be scalped.

I was gonna kinda bitch about this, but I've bought a total of 10 core sets for 4 LCGs and 2 Wangs core sets already, so whatever. Not like I wasn't going to buy it anyways, those dials. :catstare:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Devlan Mud posted:

I was gonna kinda bitch about this, but I've bought a total of 10 core sets for 4 LCGs and 2 Wangs core sets already, so whatever. Not like I wasn't going to buy it anyways, those dials. :catstare:

I mean that's really the trick of it, isn't it? You can look at it as "ugh FFG making us buy new damage decks" but were you really not gonna go for three new ships complete with new pilot cards, upgrades, etc? And as a bonus you get a whole new set of templates and some extra dice.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So as someone wanting to start getting their hands on some wangs should I snatch up an old core set still or just get the new one?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

:swoon:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Just get the new one. Enough people have the old one that it's easy to get the models and cards. I mean, even I might do it cuz you could subsidize the cost of the new core set with the old one.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So as someone wanting to start getting their hands on some wangs should I snatch up an old core set still or just get the new one?

Honestly, getting one of each wouldn't be the worst idea. It'll save you from needing to buy another set of dice (which you'll want to do, trust me) and it'll give you two sets of templates, one for you and one for your opponent, plus both sets come with exclusive pilots and cards. The only thing that'll be redundant by the sound of it is the core set damage deck which is being updaterrata'd.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Holy gently caress.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Devlan Mud posted:

Holy gently caress.

I'm going to be hard as a loving rock from today until I get my hands on at least three of the new X-wings.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Kai Tave posted:

Honestly, getting one of each wouldn't be the worst idea. It'll save you from needing to buy another set of dice (which you'll want to do, trust me) and it'll give you two sets of templates, one for you and one for your opponent, plus both sets come with exclusive pilots and cards. The only thing that'll be redundant by the sound of it is the core set damage deck which is being updaterrata'd.

That's what I was thinking. I'm considering getting into X-Wing and it seems like a new and old core set would be enough to build a good 2 player list off of :shobon:

edit:
Would the original rebel/imperial core set be reprinted with the new damage decks?

canyoneer fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Aug 25, 2015

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

canyoneer posted:

edit:
Would the original rebel/imperial core set be reprinted with the new damage decks?

It's possible but unlikely, FFG doesn't seem to be into issuing errata'd components even in further printings, or even new releases. As an example I recently bought the Imperial Raider, the latest Huge ship to come out since the Tantive and the Rebel Transport. In the interim since the Tantive came out FFG made some changes to the way Huge ships worked, most notably that while Huge ships have attacks that can go as far as range 5 (whereas most ships top out at range 3) that defending ships still only receive a single bonus green die regardless of whether they're at range 3-5. This was errata'd from how it worked originally where being at range 4 gave you two bonus dice and range 3 gave you three, because they found that this made Huge ships rather toothless at longer ranges.

So what does the instruction booklet for the Raider say when it talks about range 4-5 attacks? That they give you 2-3 bonus green dice when defending, i.e. exactly what it was errata'd away from. Kind of ridiculous if you ask me but there you go.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Hell, I think if it wasn't for the new pictures of the rule book blurbs mentioning the new sub factions I'd assume the new edition books would still say ties default to Imperial.

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
guys I don't see how this is bigger news than me beating 3 elite xwings with a guri list :colbert:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Irom posted:

guys I don't see how this is bigger news than me beating 3 elite xwings with a guri list :colbert:

To be fair I'm a big Guri fan my own self, though I usually kit her out with the works...VI, Virago, Advanced Sensors, Autothrusters, and I think when I finally get my grubby hands on Wave 7 that Glitterstim's going to be my go-to Illicit upgrade. At the least I feel like if you don't take Autothrusters on a ship with Boost you need a good reason why not. But I've had a lot of luck with her in the past and so anyone who takes her (or Xizor I guess) to the table gets a thumbs up from me.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Can't hear y'all over the sound of this Motherfucking TALLON ROLL

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

yellowjournalism posted:

Can't hear y'all over the sound of this Motherfucking TALLON ROLL

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Drifting starfighters in space hell yeah :2fast:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
A couple of days ago I called a K-Turn an Immelmann and got some dirty looks. And that thing is going to be called a lag roll.

Come at me, nerds.

EDIT: Ok, the Eagle 5 is allowed to drift:

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Aug 25, 2015

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Archenteron posted:

Drifting starfighters in space hell yeah :2fast:

T70 X-Wings versus dual IG-2000's.

Star Wars: Coruscant Drift

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

A couple of days ago I called a K-Turn an Immelmann and got some dirty looks. And that thing is going to be called a lag roll.

Come at me, nerds.

Hah, this is my exact mindset. :D However whenever I call a K-Turn an Immelmann turn in public (well, the xwing-playing public, anyway), I get confused looks more than dirty looks, which I must admit is slightly disappointing! (apart from the one grognard neckbeard present who knew exactly what I meant and was highly displeased)

On another note, although I have a Plano double-sided case, it's not so good in terms of card storage. Currently I use elastic bands to bind the decks, then have them stored in a large double-seal snaplock bag, however I don't think this'll last me for the long-term. So, what do you all use to store large quantities of academy pilotspilot cards and upgrade cards? I'm thinking of getting something like this, but I'm not sure if the rows (for lack of better word) with the fixed-sides will allow enough space for the pilot cards to fit inside, stacked. So yeah, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, despite the pain this game is causing to my wallet!

EDIT: vvv Yeah I know what you mean - I have no idea why it's such a big deal for some people, but I'll be damned if it's not something I'm going to press when the opportunity arises!

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Aug 25, 2015

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Major Isoor posted:

Hah, this is my exact mindset. :D However whenever I call a K-Turn an Immelmann turn in public (well, the xwing-playing public, anyway), I get confused looks more than dirty looks, which I must admit is slightly disappointing! (apart from the one grognard neckbeard present who knew exactly what I meant and was highly displeased)

Why the heck are people getting pissed someone knows what an Immelmann is? Am I missing something here or is this just nerds getting bitchy about people not using proper verisimilitudinous terminology? THEN HOW COME IT'S CALLED A BARREL ROLL AND NOT A ZARGOZIAN FLIP-TWIST, HUH? Do they even have barrels in Star Wars? Didn't think so.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Poe Dameron (31)
Weapon Guidance (2)
Push the Limit (3)
Proton Torpedoes (4)
R5-P9 (3)
Autothrusters (2)

Red Squadron Veteran (26)
Autothrusters (2)
Adrenaline Rush (1)

Blue Squadron Novice (24)
Autothrusters (2)

Total: 100

Bring it on, motherfuckers.

Normally Proton Torpedoes are a pipe dream of "I want to like them but they suck". BUT with Poe and Weapon Guidance specifically they're loving awesome. Get a focus result changed to a crit normally. Poe's ability changes another focus to a hit for free as long as he has a focus. With PTL, he should have a focus. Spend the focus with Weapon Guidance to change a blank to a hit, and you've got a statistical average of 3 hits and a crit. Relies a bit on not blanking out, but really what doesn't?

Red Squad guy gets Adrenaline Rush just for the "Hahaha, gently caress you" rush of pulling a Tallon Roll and then boosting back into some useless loser's face for a range 1 shot out of nowhere.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Kai Tave posted:

Why the heck are people getting pissed someone knows what an Immelmann is? Am I missing something here or is this just nerds getting bitchy about people not using proper verisimilitudinous terminology? THEN HOW COME IT'S CALLED A BARREL ROLL AND NOT A ZARGOZIAN FLIP-TWIST, HUH? Do they even have barrels in Star Wars? Didn't think so.

Immelman is a proper noun, and the maneuver is named for German pilot Max Immelman, who developed the maneuver during WW1. Obviously, Star Wars did not have a WW1.

The barrel roll is not named for anyone in particular, and is called that because the maneuver resembles the craft looping around the perimeter of a barrel. There are, in fact, barrels in Star Wars. Go figure.

I don't particularly give a gently caress what someone calls it, but it'd be kinda dumb to call it an Immelman no matter how identical the maneuver is if the setting is Star Wars.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Kai Tave posted:

actually they did, as you would know if you checked the wiki http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Barrel

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

willus posted:

actually they did, as you would know if you checked the wiki http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Barrel

:negative:

Star Wars nerds never cease to amaze me.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
the star wars wiki is a fantastic work of art

e: "You can help Wookieepedia by expanding it." i don't know that expanding the barrel page would in face help wookiepedia

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Wait - How is the new damage deck going to work? Do you have to use the new cards? Do you just use one of the decks, and that's the one you use, what?

That's actually really confusing.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Shockeh posted:

Wait - How is the new damage deck going to work? Do you have to use the new cards? Do you just use one of the decks, and that's the one you use, what?

Use the new one. That's it.

Now, more interesting is what happens when one player has the new one and the other doesn't have it. If they are not identical, someone is going to have an advantage.

VVVV

Oh, good to know. I honestly thought they were going for "new is better, buy it"

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Aug 25, 2015

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Fat Samurai posted:

Use the new one. That's it.

Now, more interesting is what happens when one player has the new one and the other doesn't have it. If they are not identical, someone is going to have an advantage.

I don't think it's as cut and dried as one deck having an advantage and the other not. The cards in the new one are generally broader, but also seem to be a bit more forgiving. Some of them. Blinded Pilot got a lot more forgiving, now that you don't even need a target in order to clear it. The lack of Munitions Failure is nothing short of a godsend for ships like Y-wings, Hawks, and YT-2400s that rely on their turrets to give their pitiful and pathetic lives meaning. That's metered, however, by Weapons Failure now also applying to secondary weapons, not just primaries. A 2400's Outrider HLC will still roll one fewer red die while that Weapons Failure is up, and that's no small thing.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
^^^Yeah, no Munitions Failure is a big deal to folks running things like Kavil and Palob who worry about getting crippled on the turn of a bad crit.

willus posted:

Lo, I am undone.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Shockeh posted:

That's actually really confusing.

The rules explicitly say that if you own the new deck you have to use it.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I think the lack of truly catastrophic, game-losing crits like Munitions Failure on ships that need turret secondaries is balanced out by how some of those other crits look nasty as hell but still survivable. The one that gives you a stress for taking a white maneuver has the potential to be all kinds of hilarious, especially since if you're ion'd you take a white one-forward, take the stress, and can't clear it so you can get ion'd again. :allears:

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
So, ignoring the obviously asinine text of 'you must use the new deck if you own it' "Hurr hurr I haven't bought the new set yet" *Wheels out 3x T-70*; Are you going to otherwise just pick the deck you want to use at game start? Are they backed the same? Can people tell which deck you're using?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
^^^I think the implication is that for official sanctioned play, i.e. tournaments and regionals, that you'll have to use the new deck past a certain point (probably starting sometime in 2016 would be my guess to give everyone time to pick up a new starter), but for casual play probably just argue among your friends.

Strobe posted:

I think the lack of truly catastrophic, game-losing crits like Munitions Failure on ships that need turret secondaries is balanced out by how some of those other crits look nasty as hell but still survivable. The one that gives you a stress for taking a white maneuver has the potential to be all kinds of hilarious, especially since if you're ion'd you take a white one-forward, take the stress, and can't clear it so you can get ion'd again. :allears:

Yeah, I think the decision to axe things like Munitions Failure is stems from a desire to have crits be, as you said, nasty but survivable, not "welp, my 33+ point ship is now a piece of junk, good game." Getting walked off the board due to a combination of one specific crit and ion weapons is more of a combination of factors all coming together in a perfect storm of fuckery, which is more acceptable (and also because even ion weapons can blank out on you so you aren't just auto-hosed forever).

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Aug 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I'm okay with perfect storms of fuckery.

I'm generally annoyed at perfect single hail stones of fuckery that accomplish the same thing.

• Locked thread