Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rancid Liverwurst
Jan 26, 2009
The show seemed flaccid.

Jonny Deep Jr needs to die, but since he is a druggie, he'll live forever and not die. He'll just get into too many impossible situations and cause drama just to cause drama, since he's a druggie.

Braining Sister is just there to cause angst and to keep the teen age boys watching.

Mom the guidance conseler has Jedi like powers, but is too stupid to notice when everyday things seem hosed up. Cop A was talking to Johnny Deep, about 18 pages entered into his notebook. Jedi Mom walks into the hospital room and uses her mind trick to scare Cop A and Cop B away. "You will not interview my 19 year son about a crime scene." Sure enough they forget what they were doing and go get doughnuts.

Travis is there just for the free rent. His real wife and kid are taking him for everything. Hell, he can't even afford a decent ride. Looks like he bought the thing from Bill Bixby. And the front window of the truck. Hey look, its broke. Now it not broke. Broke again, nope not broke. No wonder Travis can't afford a decent truck. Windshields for a '72 Ford truck can't be cheap anymore, and he seems to go through them every other scene.

Oh, and this show isn't about zombies. Well, why the gently caress did I watch it then?

:flaccid:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tellah
Aug 8, 2014

Unzip and Attack posted:

I also think it's a bit weird that so many posters are criticizing the first hour being fairly normal family issues-type stuff.

I dunno what your family's like, but finding your semi-estranged son in the hospital after he's hit by a car while fleeing from a drug den, and then later the next day finding him again - having escaped from a hospital psych ward - in the LA river where he's shot his drug dealer, is pretty far outside the 'family drama' wheelhouse.

Sure, they could have done a slice-of-life premiere. But they definitely didn't accomplish that.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

How does a junkie who struggles to score dope afford a cell phone?

Other than that, I guess I kind of liked the episode and I'm optimistically looking forward to more.

My guess is that the mother still pays for his phone. Especially after the daughter, Alicia (?), tells her mom she needs to cut Nick off and her mother absolutely refuses. My sister has done the same thing for my nephew, who lives on the streets and is an addict. It's pretty common, especially if Nick has recently turned 18.

Rancid Liverwurst
Jan 26, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

How does a junkie who struggles to score dope afford a cell phone?

Old dead man's wallet?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Svanja posted:

My guess is that the mother still pays for his phone. Especially after the daughter, Alicia (?), tells her mom she needs to cut Nick off and her mother absolutely refuses. My sister has done the same thing for my nephew, who lives on the streets and is an addict. It's pretty common, especially if Nick has recently turned 18.

It looked like he bought a pay as you go at a convenience store, presumably from money he found in the pockets of the clothes he took from his hospital room.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Svanja posted:

He stole the old man's wallet but this is actually a good depiction of family reaction to an addict. Just watch any episode of Intervention.

I was critical early about the episode, but the last half hour was good so hopefully they'll build on it. I'm not sure if it is the writing or the acting but I'm having a hard time caring about these people.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I didn't think this was a great pilot, but logic holes weren't a problem like they are in TWD. I guess other than the dad not calling the cops upon finding a murder floor. But maybe he figured they wouldn't give a poo poo.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

She's a public school teacher. She's seen worse.

She's not even a teacher. She's a guidance counselor, aka the most pathetic job you can have in a school.

"Oh I'm in a poo poo job and eat lunch at my desk because nobody likes me but here's what I would have done if I were in your position, Josh. Here's some colleges that I think you should go to, Kelly. I clearly know all about going to a good college and getting a good career!"

Professional equivalents to internet tough guys. Let's all laugh at guidance counselors.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 24, 2015

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

I didn't think this was a great pilot, but logic holes weren't a problem like they are in TWD. I guess other than the dad not calling the cops upon finding a murder floor. But maybe he figured they wouldn't give a poo poo.

That, or maybe he didn't want to get his obviously distressed stepson into more trouble than he was already in, and risk his relationship in the process. And let's face it, if you want to help someone in a bad situation and your skin happens to not be lily-white the absolute last people you want to turn to for that help are the US police.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Jamesman posted:

She's not even a teacher. She's a guidance counselor, aka the most pathetic job you can have in a school.

"Oh I'm in a poo poo job and eat lunch at my desk because nobody likes me but here's what I would have done if I were in your position, Josh. Here's some colleges that I think you should go to, Kelly. I clearly know all about going to a good college and getting a good career!"

Professional equivalents to internet tough guys. Let's all laugh at guidance counselors.

What a warped thing to read because where I live, counseling positions in schools are a sweet gig with excellent pay.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah the general disinterest in a bloody drug den except insofar as it affects their son seemed pretty normal to me. It's a ghetto in LA, even the cops probably wouldn't waste time on it without a body or a report of an actual crime from someone.

Tellah posted:

I dunno what your family's like, but finding your semi-estranged son in the hospital after he's hit by a car while fleeing from a drug den, and then later the next day finding him again - having escaped from a hospital psych ward - in the LA river where he's shot his drug dealer, is pretty far outside the 'family drama' wheelhouse.

Sure, they could have done a slice-of-life premiere. But they definitely didn't accomplish that.
Up till the shooting itself it was a pretty decent portrait of life with a junkie in the family, and I actually thought the mom and sister's attitudes of weariness with this sort of bullshit drama going down regularly hit the nail on the head pretty well. That bit realism wasn't enough for compelling TV though, this pilot was total poo poo.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

beefnoodle posted:

It looked like he bought a pay as you go at a convenience store, presumably from money he found in the pockets of the clothes he took from his hospital room.

Oh ok, thank you for this. I was putting my son to bed for his first day of class on Monday and I missed him finding the wallet. I just saw him leaving the hospital when I came back in.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

Remy Marathe posted:

Yeah the general disinterest in a bloody drug den except insofar as it affects their son seemed pretty normal to me. It's a ghetto in LA, even the cops probably wouldn't waste time on it without a body or a report of an actual crime from someone.

Yeah. In Detroit a few winters ago there was a dead guy found frozen in an abandoned building that wasn't moved for like weeks (maybe even months I can't remember) because neither the fire department or police department wanted to deal with it and kept trying to pass the buck to the other department.

kindermord
Jun 5, 2003
ducks is chickens with swimmy toes
It wasn't that great, but neither was it offensively bad like its parent which has gotten so bad i can't even hatewatch it anymore. So I'll tune in for awhile and hope for the best (actually i'm hatewatching from the start so as not to suffer disappointment and if it turns out good well hey so much the better).

Good or bad, it got 10.1 million viewers and it's attached to a hit franchise so it will probably be around for a while.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Added - Thanks goonsir.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm Insane

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just watched it. Well that was a whole lot of nothing! I feel like even the most boring Walking Dead episodes have had more going on than this did.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008

Would still hit it

Pulp Can Move
Oct 4, 2012
This has the potential to be a lot better than the original.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I want to like this show, and it has a promising start. I liked seeing a reality starting to crack under the threat of the dead coming back to life, it's something no other zombie media has done. The reason I'm pessimistic is that I know they'll reach a point, probably soon, where society is overwhelmed, the zombies "take over", and it's literally the same as every other zombie TV show/book/movie ever. And since it's got the name recognition of The Walking Dead, it's going to be on for a decade and have an aimless plot and be identical to the other show once the novelty of "The Walking Dead: The Early Days" wears off.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Captain Log posted:

Added - Thanks goonsir.

On Rectify - gently caress man that's good, heavy as gently caress, and might have to be taken a few shows at a time. But thanks for sure.

"We call that lethal injection humor. More humane but less funny." Got a reaction out of me.

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
So where did the zombies in the church go? Is there some secret government force going around trying to covertly round up dens? If we're already in the "anyone who dies, turns" phase shouldn't hospitals and gang areas be overwhelmed already? Like 7000 people a day die in the US. That's a lot of zombies running around since according to the DarkNetInternetGuy this has been happening for awhile.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
gently caress the impatient assholes complaining about boring family drama stuff. This was a hell of a lot better than I was expecting and I love the whole Shaun of the Dead style "everything is hosed but nobody can see it" slow burn. The sooner this show descends into apocalypse mode, the sooner this show has nothing new or interesting to offer.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

xcore posted:

gently caress the impatient assholes complaining about boring family drama stuff. This was a hell of a lot better than I was expecting and I love the whole Shaun of the Dead style "everything is hosed but nobody can see it" slow burn. The sooner this show descends into apocalypse mode, the sooner this show has nothing new or interesting to offer.

The drama offered nothing new or interesting. Terrible acting, terrible dialogue, it was all really bad.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What is it with this show in particular that seems to attract FYAD posters looking to cause trouble in the thread so they can scamper back to FYAD for virtual pats on the back?

And to keep the thread on track, I honestly thought the pilot was decent. I wasn't expecting anything crazy since the premise of it being before the apocalypse just lends it self to being a slow start. I hope they don't rush into the meat of the show to quick and we get a chance to see the chaos that would take place in a situation like that. That's one thing I liked about The Strain on FX, that show is two seasons deep now and the city still hasn't ceased to exist.

Gordong Dongbay fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Aug 25, 2015

Tellah
Aug 8, 2014

xcore posted:

gently caress the impatient assholes complaining about boring family drama stuff.

I'm pretty sure everyone wanted a strong family drama to lead into the zombie apocalypse. As many people have said, it was hackneyed. Incompetent dad trying his hand at plumbing, extremely topical English Lit lessons, ~Chaos Theory~, a social outcast has an idea of what's going on, a junkie saw a zombie and no one believes him... there isn't an original idea in this whole 1.5 hour episode.

From the junkie's perspective, it's a drat lucky thing the apocalypse started that day because otherwise he probably would have been on the hook for murdering his dealer. That conflict had nothing to do with zombies at all.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

Tellah posted:

I'm pretty sure everyone wanted a strong family drama to lead into the zombie apocalypse. As many people have said, it was hackneyed. Incompetent dad trying his hand at plumbing, extremely topical English Lit lessons, ~Chaos Theory~, a social outcast has an idea of what's going on, a junkie saw a zombie and no one believes him... there isn't an original idea in this whole 1.5 hour episode.

From the junkie's perspective, it's a drat lucky thing the apocalypse started that day because otherwise he probably would have been on the hook for murdering his dealer. That conflict had nothing to do with zombies at all.

I think it will be interesting to watch Nick have to deal with withdrawals while running and hiding from walkers. So instead of the usual 'baby won't stop crying' we will possibly have the family dealing with him being extremely sick and having to restrain him. It could also lead to the usual 'we need a trip to the pharmacy' stuff....

After reading some other people's opinions on the show, I can understand how the family dynamics would be interesting to some. The problem I had was with the characters. I didn't find any of them particularly engaging or likable, although I was surprised that I liked Nick as much as I did. Travis seemed alright. It will be interesting to see the dynamic between him and his ex and his pissed off son.

A lot of shows need four episodes to grab my interest, so I'm going to give this show a chance.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I didn't find any characters likeable either except maybe the dad, but it's still early goings. I'm not much for family drama in general, but if the idea is that this is a zombie show where everyone isn't constantly distrusting one another then I'm all for it.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Gordong Dongbay posted:

What is it with this show in particular that seems to attract FYAD posters looking to cause trouble in the thread so they can scamper back to FYAD for virtual pats on the back?

And to keep the thread on track, I honestly thought the pilot was decent. I wasn't expecting anything crazy since the premise of it being before the apocalypse just lends it self to being a slow start. I hope they don't rush into the meat of the show to quick and we get a chance to see the chaos that would take place in a situation like that. That's one thing I liked about The Strain on FX, that show is two seasons deep now and the city still hasn't ceased to exist.

Oh right, :laffo: is that where the disproportionately high number of mousewheel-category posts are coming from? Bless 'em.

I like slow burn shows too but this clearly isn't going to be one. My previous assumption that it all started the night before the morning of the pilot is wrong, because I just rememberd that goon with the knife who's been noticing incidents on the internet for a while now.

So yeah, it was advertised as showing society before, during and after the collapse, and it seems to have dumped us right in the during phase. It's only been 1 episode and 48 hours and look where we are already, although one good thing about that is we only had to deal with the tiresome trope of nobody believing the few characters who know what's really going on for a tiny bit.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

That fyad comment is really weird, do you honestly believe that people come into tv/iv critiquing shows as a troll? Pretty sure no one is aware of or gives a gently caress about this thread.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

xcore posted:

Yeah I enjoyed it too. The entire first season could be several weeks of 'real time' and show a few individuals dying and turning, before the big Zombie Outbreak that causes mass panic and the familiar Walking Dead hysterics.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

a cop posted:

That fyad comment is really weird, do you honestly believe that people come into tv/iv critiquing shows as a troll? Pretty sure no one is aware of or gives a gently caress about this thread.

It does seem weird but consider the fact that with regards to what bored people on the internet will do to amuse themselves, asking a question that starts with "do you honestly believe that they would...?" is like asking of an elder scrolls game "is there a mod that...?"

That bit with the hobo walking in the park with what looked kinda like a zombie gait really reminded me of the film "It Follows" and I was hoping the first few episodes would be creeping dread along those lines, playing with viewer's knowledge of what is about to happen, with stuff happening, or possibly not happening, in the background or having to be inferred from a throwaway comment in a news report or whatever. But no, we're straight into cops having to headshoot a zombie on TV and one getting splatted twice with a car - the very first scene has one with a knife stuck in it eating someone! Nope, no subtlety or creeping dread here, just straight up zombies from day one.

I mean, this is why the posts from people complaining about the slow pace are laughably transparent.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Person that doesn't agree with my view == FYAD is loving hilarious

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TV IV has plenty of its own terrible posters.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I have no idea what happened to the zombies in the church. Doubt we will get an explanation, but I find it hard to believe they wouldn't be attacking someone within a couple blocks. It looked like a busy area.

As for why there aren't more zombies right now... perhaps we haven't reached the point where everyone is infected. Like maybe it's a slow ramp up so at this early stage not everyone who dies becomes a zombie. Anyways, I doubt that even that will be explicitly addressed due to Kirkman's devotion to not explaining anything about the virus.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So I just saw the first episode.

- Following the crazy rear end meth head around during the zombie apocalypse and thinking he's going insane. Though it did make me wish for either "Jesse Pinkman deals with zombies" or "Hunter S. Thompson's Walking Dead." Because that would be kind of amazing. But still, he actually seemed to try to act and react.

Dislikes:
- All the other actors utterly BORED AND CALM response to zombies; "What is this?" they ask, before concluding out of the blue, "This is why people have been out sick!" and then having an orderly exit of a building. Even when a zombie was plowed into by a car.. well, not a single poo poo was given that day.
- How the gently caress is nobody noticing this? Zombies in the Walking Dead universe are not Goddamn subtle. Pretty much every zombie inside should have been spilling out onto the streets not even an hour later, if they didn't just chase him right off. Them acting like the zombies are lurking in the population spreading the disease is the weakest, shittiest attempt at explaining how the plague spread. The gap between the signs -> full on chaos should have been maybe, maybe 24 hours and they're portraying it as weeks.
- If everyone is already infected, and coming back after death as established, that only makes this worse. That means every single loving person that dies - and there's people dying every second - should be coming back already and then going on a kill crazy rampage. This is not loving something that can be done subtly.

Long story short: I'll give it some more shots but between the actors not giving a poo poo and their being absolutely no logic to their version of how the world fell, it feels like this is even dumber than Walking Dead logic in terms of zombies. And once the junkie gets clean I half expect him to start whining more or something; he's entertaining entirely because he's high as balls.

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

I have no idea what happened to the zombies in the church. Doubt we will get an explanation, but I find it hard to believe they wouldn't be attacking someone within a couple blocks. It looked like a busy area.

As for why there aren't more zombies right now... perhaps we haven't reached the point where everyone is infected. Like maybe it's a slow ramp up so at this early stage not everyone who dies becomes a zombie. Anyways, I doubt that even that will be explicitly addressed due to Kirkman's devotion to not explaining anything about the virus.

They've all become ninja zombies sneaking around causing isolated incidents in the US, you see.

... speaking of which, what even happened to the infected cops at the traffic incident? They didn't get headshot, so.... shouldn't that whole freeway have turned into a warzone in short order? Also "This is the new real, boom killshot" was the worst line in the show the entire loving franchise. Delivery didn't help.

xcore posted:

What they should have done is make it well known something was up; maybe entire cities suddenly being blacked out in the midwest and quarantined; news of a plague. Not some loving high school moron that somehow put it together. Just nobody knows the details of the plague until someone infected from those zones gets out into the main area.

Once zombies are in a city, poo poo should happen FAST, and it shouldn't be at all stealthy. Trying to have me buy that zombies have just been going around sneaking in cities ninja-converting people is just God awful.

I like a slow burn but this is a slow burn that makes absolutely zero Goddamn sense. Jesus, we've seen how fast zombie outbreaks go to poo poo over and over and over in this universe; and these zombies are supposed to be "fresh" and harder to kill / more agile in an unprepared city packed with people. None of it adds up.

Captain Log posted:

If you've dealt with heroin addicts before they don't hallucinate so I'm glad they weren't laying too heavy on that angle.

But - if someone who is hooked on something said someone was biting people and poo poo, what would you honestly think? I dug this episode.

He really is the most compelling character for those reasons. Some people liked the dad alright but he seemed like WhiteHat McSaint to me; bland as bread.

Also it was neat they even made the fact heroin doesn't cause hallucinations a plot point, leading him to want to find out what other drug was in the mix, or if he was just losing his mind.

Fog Tripper posted:

This kid does a good johny depp.

That too. If Depp ever does a movie that needs a young version of him, he's spot on.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 25, 2015

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Walking Dead had one of the best pilots of all-time, which helped grab a bunch of viewers right off the bat. Since then its been just decent; a competently made, inconsistently written show with zombies. But it was a novelty because we'd seen tons of two hour zombie stories, never a single ongoing story following the same characters indefinitely.

Now, years later the novelty has at least somewhat worn off, and I just don't need another decent, competently made zombie show. Setting it before the collapse of society isn't novel enough on its own, and the writing doesn't seem to be any better than The Walking Dead, so what's the point? This thing needs to go somewhere interesting, and quick. We don't need another show where people run from shelter to shelter dodging zombies, its been done. At least The Strain goes balls to the wall with its premise.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Wait, weeks? I thought the pilot covered a couple of days at most.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Blazing Ownager posted:

That too. If Depp ever does a movie that needs a young version of him, he's spot on.
He already did that for Voldemort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Cactus posted:

Wait, weeks? I thought the pilot covered a couple of days at most.

The actual pilot only covers a day or two but its implied that things have been slowly ramping up for at least several days, if not a few weeks before that. There's rumors and hearsay going around about some sort of epidemic but nobody believes its a real problem.

• Locked thread