Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
I think Tammy just gets picked up for the occasional booty call. Leaves after dinner, home by breakfast. No meals together, only bird dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
I thought it was a solid episode. It doesn't stack up to the rest of this amazing season, but it wasn't bad by any stretch.

I laughed hard at the President assuming that people just die when he names them.

Space T Rex posted:

I think Tammy just gets picked up for the occasional booty call. Leaves after dinner, home by breakfast. No meals together, only bird dick.

I think Tammy has a job on BirdWorld... as Bird Person's worm rancher.

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Aug 25, 2015

Steve112sms
Mar 20, 2002

Paregoric babies of the world unite.

kalensc posted:

We've all seen countless shows involving President and Pentagon antics, so yeah it makes sense for your brain to default to "they're way too cool with this" when Rick wanders in and disintegrates people. Funny bit but still a bit weak.

I don't know, I feel like if a giant head is attacking the entire planet and a mad scientist literally teleports into the room, you'd probably want to hear him out. Even if you're the President and it's the Pentagon.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The stream is now working for those of us who can't catch it on TV.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Echoing other sentiments, this is probably my least favorite episode so far, though it might improve on rewatch.

Mike N Eich posted:

Definitely had it's moments but was probably the weakest of the season. Something about the episode felt very...Futurama-y. (Which isn't meant to denigrate Futurama but the zany tone doesn't really fit this show).
I thought the exact same thing. It felt like a newer Futurama episodes, where the sci-fi is a vehicle to spoof pop culture more than for an adventure. R&M seems to work best when it fully commits to the sci-fi adventure and the humor comes organically from the crazy situations. ]

The religion B-story was hacky as hell.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Who was the voice of Ice T? Cause Harmon does a great impression https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewQQ8qQNlWw

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It was exactly him.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Anyone else reminded of this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jbEZlnl9WQ

Anyone else wish they'd never seen this before?

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
Morty's singing reminded me of Psychic Abilities from the podcast.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
This episode had me chuckling a few times, but it wasn't as funny as the last few episodes. Then again, the last few were some of the funniest TV I've seen in quite a while, so really, they were due for a less funny episode. Every episode can't be funnier than the last one. This was a good episode... not great.

Mainly, I think, the B-plot brought it down. I get that big heads controlling the weather might make some people immediately think that it's God, but I'm pretty sure the Smiths would be immune to that, although they might be the only ones who suspect that something space-y is going on. It just didn't work for me. It was too much too fast. I would have found riots easier to believe.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

After watching the latest episode of Review, any plot with a cult involved is gonna be underwhelming.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Summer literally met the devil. It makes sense that she'd be willing to take a god at face value.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

This wasn't a standout episode but it's nice that even the weakest Rick and Morty eps are worthwhile and have good gags. A good show

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

tarlibone posted:

Mainly, I think, the B-plot brought it down. I get that big heads controlling the weather might make some people immediately think that it's God, but I'm pretty sure the Smiths would be immune to that, although they might be the only ones who suspect that something space-y is going on. It just didn't work for me. It was too much too fast. I would have found riots easier to believe.

Yeah exactly. Plus the fact that Rick basically knew what to do right away should have tipped them off that it wasn't God.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

zoux posted:

Typical, post your official Council of Ricks badge.

I had one but I lost it at the premiere party because I was drunk. Now I just have the season 1 and 2 skateboards. and a lot of crew only shirts.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Yeah exactly. Plus the fact that Rick basically knew what to do right away should have tipped them off that it wasn't God.

Neither Beth or Jerry believed it was god, though. I'm pretty sure Beth literally had a line where she sad "Summer that's not God" and Jerry was only willing to go so far as "hey she can believe what she wants", and that was just to be smug. Did I see the same episode as everyone else? The only one who bought into the cult was Summer, and she really only did that because she was looking for validation and acceptance from other humans, not because she was looking for a belief system.

Typical posted:

I had one but I lost it at the premiere party because I was drunk. Now I just have the season 1 and 2 skateboards. and a lot of crew only shirts.

That's a perfect R&M cast story. :allears: I'm pretty sure you posted a pic of the badge at some point though, it was pretty cool!

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

XboxPants posted:

Neither Beth or Jerry believed it was god, though. I'm pretty sure Beth literally had a line where she sad "Summer that's not God" and Jerry was only willing to go so far as "hey she can believe what she wants", and that was just to be smug. Did I see the same episode as everyone else? The only one who bought into the cult was Summer, and she really only did that because she was looking for validation and acceptance from other humans, not because she was looking for a belief system.

That's a perfect R&M cast story. :allears: I'm pretty sure you posted a pic of the badge at some point though, it was pretty cool!

Beth and Jerry kept on giving each other looks whenever the subject was brought up, too. In fact, they made it explicit when they were to be inducted into the cultreligion that it wasn't God. Up until that point, Beth was clearly not buying into it. Jerry's more gullible than she is, but she kept him from going all-in just by disapproving.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Mokinokaro posted:

It's right here Timing definitely makes it seem like an offhand reference.

EDIT: Oh yeah, episode's fixed on AS.

That dude sucks at belching

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I'm a baby!

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
I got the feeling that Summer didn't actually believe it but was going along with it because a) it was the thing to do, and b) the "faith" let her feel like part of a community that loved her. That's how cults work, that's why people join them. And the natural thought is definitely "they should be smart and experienced enough to know this is bullshit" but often times that's exactly the kind of person who gets sucked in. Summer should know that this is crap, but she chooses not to acknowledge it because the reality of her situation is better than her life prior.

I think it's telling that we didn't really see events from her perspective; in this episode, she was more a peripheral character to Beth and Jerry's mundane adventure.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Could it be that the B-plot was an intentional homage (or parody) to Simpsons? It was super formulaic and even complete with a random stereotypical Orthodox Jew out of nowhere. It was also very clear that how quickly the cult developed couldn't possibly fit the timeline of the main plot.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

A giant head from space came into our orbit shouting "SHOW ME WHAT CHA GOOOOT"

Then rick sprang into action taking marty and teleported into the dr strangelove war room and told the president, who seems to be a cool dude (unlike that rear end in a top hat meathead general), what the deal with the head was

Morty stole the portal gun and nearly killed himself jumping between worlds until thankfully landing on birdpersons planet and birdperson finding him

there was some backstory with rick and a baby, was it morty, was it beth, was it something else, I dunno

Then they jammed, and ICE T found his way and helped save the planet

This epsiode was exactly what this show is. I hope that roiland and harmon dont change anything suggested in this thread.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Man you guys think about jokes waaaaaaay too hard.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Fateo McMurray posted:

Man you guys think about jokes waaaaaaay too hard.

Welcome to TV IV.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
Just occurred to me that this is the first time Rick wasn't responsible for bringing sci-fi madness to us. It would have happened to earth whether the Rick/Morty existed or not. I think that may be what put some people off. And because of summer's naive reaction to the heads, this episode may have been more believable for a lot of you if it came before she went on any adventures with Rick. But I still liked it so ya'll can all lick my balls.

Then again Rick has told her before that there is no god, but we also know for a fact that Summer doesn't care what Rick has to say about most things. So maybe her thinking it could be god does fit her even after adventuring.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
This episode is weird to me because it had a lot of funny parts when considered separately, but overall I feel it was pretty weak. This might have been the first ep where I was more interested in the B plot than Rick and Morty's sci fi adventure.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I like that the dumb pink floydy moon man song literally details their plan to eradicate all life. Well, see ya

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Space T Rex posted:

Just occurred to me that this is the first time Rick wasn't responsible for bringing sci-fi madness to us. It would have happened to earth whether the Rick/Morty existed or not. I think that may be what put some people off. And because of summer's naive reaction to the heads, this episode may have been more believable for a lot of you if it came before she went on any adventures with Rick. But I still liked it so ya'll can all lick my balls.

Then again Rick has told her before that there is no god, but we also know for a fact that Summer doesn't care what Rick has to say about most things. So maybe her thinking it could be god does fit her even after adventuring.

No the first time. Mr. Needful would have shown up regardless of Rick and Morty's presence as well and that was a great episode.

Samuro
Aug 28, 2004

I'm going to make you cry like I did when my goldfish died!
The President in the back of the ambulance in Shaym-aliens! was white, was there an election or was the simulation just THAT bad?

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Samuro posted:

The President in the back of the ambulance in Shaym-aliens! was white, was there an election or was the simulation just THAT bad?

They got Keith David.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
If you didn't like the last episode, chances are you're just not schwifty enough.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Applewhite posted:

No the first time. Mr. Needful would have shown up regardless of Rick and Morty's presence as well and that was a great episode.

I think the Pluto aliens were completely separate from Rick as well.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Paladinus posted:

If you didn't like the last episode, chances are you're just not schwifty enough.

I keep singing the song but I can't get close to how Roiland does it. I cannot capture his je ne sais quoi.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Push more air out than normal to get that wispy raspy sound.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I didn't like how Summer immediately became a True Believer in the Head Religion, it seemed really out of character for her given everything she's seen with Rick around.
Not a great episode, but still full of great gags. I love Rick's snake watch.

a shameful boehner posted:

A few of the highlights:

quote:

88. It was discovered during pick-ups, which happen after the show is pretty much finished, that Sarah Chalke can burp on command. Thus, the Beth burping moment was born.
:allears:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Why does Birdman have a picture of baby Morty on his wall?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

RacistGuidingLight posted:

I like that the dumb pink floydy moon man song literally details their plan to eradicate all life. Well, see ya

It was David Bowie-ish.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Irish Joe posted:

Why does Birdman have a picture of baby Morty on his wall?

Theory in the thread is he's Morty's godparent.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Entropic posted:

I didn't like how Summer immediately became a True Believer in the Head Religion, it seemed really out of character for her given everything she's seen with Rick around.
Not a great episode, but still full of great gags. I love Rick's snake watch.

:allears:
[/quote]

People really seem to be discounting the impact of a giant floating omnipotent head appearing in the sky. I'm a pretty skeptical atheist but if some poo poo like that happened I'd have some serious questions about my world view.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I thought principal vaginas case for the giant head in the sky was pretty solid. I'd be on board - what the hell do I know, thing might as well be a god to me now.

• Locked thread