Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Normie Slayer posted:

I think everyone can agree

Oh yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Baal posted:

This comes at the rear end end of the story where the investigation team was already figuring out what was happening and how to beat it. Considering Mitsuru the boss doesn't mean poo poo anyways because it's not like anyone wants the position/could even fund it. Like even if the P3 characters didn't get involved, the investigation team would've figured it out anyways and still saved Labrys like they do in literally all of their story modes except Naoto's because she's basically considered a P3 character as far as how her story develops in that game.

It wasn't even her that did that either, it was Fuuka because she is the one that actually has a good scanning power.

No before even the first cliffhanger all the stories have. She just like uses her persona to get into contact with people and stuff, I swear that happens. There's a big deal about it being similar to Rise's or some such. And I know the p4 crew could have just ended up saving the day on their own because that's how it goes down in their respective story's, but I don't think that means she comes off as incompetent in the stories she does show up in.

Edit: Nevermind, someone else said it way better.

A cool damn horse
Jan 25, 2009

Normie Slayer posted:

they became bad

Jesus christ, some of the people on this forum...

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

TheKingofSprings posted:

I will take responsibility and sacrifice myself, like the Persona 3 Protagonist, to be the Excels of this thread and tell you:

it's not

why

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

A cool drat horse posted:

Jesus christ, some of the people on this forum...
the spinoffs and adaptations ruined my enjoyment of them

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Like for what it's worth on the Arena story stuff. The first game's problem is a problem that some sequels kinda have is just that it reiterates the original story a lot. Some characters get to do things like Yosuke, Akihiko, and Labrys, but everyone else gets a pretty bog standard or boring story that goes through the same motions. It also is structured terribly because it's that Blazblue way of telling stories that it had until Chronophantasma where every route is canon making consistency errors and just plain stupid horse poo poo. Ultimax's is better by virtue of having more structure and things actually happening and an actual loving antagonist. Whether or not you like the content is definitely a lot more debatable, but it at least is more like a story and not a collection of "Follow whatever character you like, all of them are canon and there are no rules on what does and doesn't make sense."

It also helps Ultimax that it brought in more characters from P3 and P4 that were cool, the latter of which brought its best character back for some surprisingly good character development.

A cool damn horse
Jan 25, 2009

Normie Slayer posted:

the spinoffs and adaptations ruined my enjoyment of them

I don't understand why.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

because I am now sick of Persona 3 and 4, and am also annoyed by some of these characters after seeing many of them reduced to one-dimensional cardboard cutouts.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

that, and I am more aware of the flaws that p3 and p4 have after reading these forums for a while. I still think they are good, but now they are kind of bad.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Normie Slayer posted:

that, and I am more aware of the flaws that p3 and p4 have after reading these forums for a while. I still think they are good, but now they are kind of bad.

wow, who knew that constant overanalysis of a couple goofy high-school jrpg/dating sims would lead to not wanting to look at or hear about them anymore!!

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

please don't troll me

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

Normie Slayer posted:

No, they are still good. Forums users are not good friends, video game characters are.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

PeaceDiner posted:

The whole idea behind Personas was that it was a "mask" that you used for different situations that could be switched around, but I guess P3 threw that out the window.

"Fool arcana" is a code word that means "you're some dipshit who doesn't have a real personality, because you are a silent video game protagonist," which is why the Fool can have all of the different Personas equipped. To be fair, both games are also about lying through your teeth and being whatever everyone else wants you to be without ever having a "real you" just so you can raise their SL, so it's thematic.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I don't know how good SMT/P1-2 games are supposed to be if some people consider P3 and 4 bad, but I started 4 and enjoying it way more than 3 already. 3 kinda felt like a prototype, since the plot for 80% of the game was Zelda-esque "just do same poo poo until something happens" and Tartarus was boring. I still don't know how P4 handles its dungeons, but if it's not "every month a new path with 2 types of rooms opens, and it looks somewhat different", I can handle it.
The characters so far seem pretty similar to P3's cast, but with more... Personality, I guess, to them. I also like Inaba as a setting way more, and the soundtrack is still kick-rear end!
I feel like this is going to be a good video game, just like Persona 3 was a good video game.
I also downloaded Nocturne and played it for a bit. It was loving weird.

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Lemon Curdistan posted:

"Fool arcana" is a code word that means "you're some dipshit who doesn't have a real personality, because you are a silent video game protagonist," which is why the Fool can have all of the different Personas equipped. To be fair, both games are also about lying through your teeth and being whatever everyone else wants you to be without ever having a "real you" just so you can raise their SL, so it's thematic.

Oh, yeah, that's true. If you have the right "mask" (i.e. Persona) you can be even more effective at boosting your relationship as well. It doesn't excuse the lack of your teammate's Personas, but I can see why they put the Fool in place instead of having Personas with affinities.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Vookatos posted:

I also downloaded Nocturne and played it for a bit. It was loving weird.

Nocturne is better then P4, play that first.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Nocturne is p good yeah.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I had a huge, stupid amount of fun playing P4G, far more than I expected given that I had only sorta recently played through the PS2 release beforehand. Wound up going through Golden alone like 3 times or something silly and by the end I was pretty well convinced it was top to bottom the best thing Atlus has ever made. It's amazing how much of that good will was pissed away by the various spinoffs and endless waifu debates in such a short timespan.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Vookatos posted:

I still don't know how P4 handles its dungeons, but if it's not "every month a new path with 2 types of rooms opens, and it looks somewhat different", I can handle it.

I have some bad news for you

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Nobody should be expecting good dungeon design from persona games.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Persona 3 is my third favorite video game. Fuuka is my wife for life.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I still love P4 and I'm confident that 5 will be a great game and a marked improvement to 4 like 4 was to 3.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Golden Goat posted:

Nocturne is better then P4, play that first.
I feel like I'm going to like P4 more just because of its atmosphere. I really dig the soundtrack, and Persona reminds me of MOTHER games, which I love. Nocturne's weird Silent Hill atmosphere is great (I'm not sure how I feel about barking soundtrack...), but P4's weird sometimes-cheesy, sometimes-creepy TV dimension intrigues me way more. And even if I end up liking Nocturne more, I should probably finish worse games first, since otherwise I'll have nothing to look forward to. Also I'm probably going to play them both at the same time so who cares.

Golden Goat posted:

Nobody should be expecting good dungeon design from persona games.
Yeah, I got excited for weird poo poo after the showcase of SMTxFE with its fashion-dress-dungeon. It wasn't like that at all... But I got to the Castle, and I feel like it's a step in the right direction. It's not great, but there's a gimmick on one of the floors, and there's more chests... Doors and diagonal corridors aren't much, but it's more than a room and a slightly bigger room. I guess dungeons in P4 also will be more connected to the plot than Tartarus ever was (along with having actual bosses, I presume), so unless they're all super long, I can at least safely say that they're not as bad as Tartarus.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I just want to say that I never really saw the situation with the P3 protagonist as him being theoretically savable. Largely because, not only has nobody done it, nobody's even trying to. We've seen the entirety of SEES a few years later through the Arena games, and they've all moved on to other things, they're at most hopeful about easing his burden without really focusing on it.

The only one that's specifically trying to save him is Elizabeth, and both her mental state and very state of existence are very questionable. I probably wouldn't count her as proof of anything.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
elizabeth is real, and beautiful.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
more bad acting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6bVISe0Jic

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

Oh lord I'm not even going to watch it. Same VA as Q?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yes

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Holy poo poo is that what she sounds like now

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Inflammatory posted:

elizabeth is real, and beautiful.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

New Naoto really sucks

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Elizabeth is a video game and Naoto sounds fine.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Naoto's new VA isn't even that bad, it's pretty close to what she used to sound like.

Rise's the one that gets me. I like Ashly Burch a lot, I am hella jazzed that she's a legit voice actor getting loads of work, but... no, she just can't pull off a character like Rise. Her high voices are more 'excitable child' than 'high-pitched teenager', and she's not even using that either, so it sounds really weird.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Manatee Cannon posted:

New Naoto really sucks

I don't mind the tone or texture of the voice at all, but the big problem like all the rest is that the line delivery is pretty bad. It's not very expressive and feels very flat. Even for a more serious character, you still have lots of opportunity to put in good intonations and inflections to keep it from becoming dull.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

New Naoto really sucks

the voice acting has only gotten worse since p4 vanilla basically.

yukiko is the only pure and unsullied waifu left in the cast

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
The new VAs aren't all bad, F. Steak Fitzgerald isn't really any worse than Chie's original voice actress

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

yukiko has never been pure

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Manatee Cannon posted:

New Naoto really sucks

little has changed from the old naoto

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Normie Slayer posted:

yukiko has never been pure

please don't shame my persona wife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

she is better than Chie. I think we can both agree.