Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Jejoma posted:

Did the multiplayer issues from the last patch get resolved?

What issues?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

chaosapiant posted:

Just started playing this game, seems sad. I like it so far.

Make sure you finish it, it's one of the longest games with basically no filler ever made. Also, if you're finding it pretty easy, turn off Listen Mode for the best survival experience.

second-hand smegma posted:

If you feel like coming over to multiplayer we'd be happy to stick a piece of glass in your neck.

I prefer a single barber shear wrapped in duct tape myself
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nggFDF4Vb8g

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

yellowjournalism posted:

I prefer a single barber shear wrapped in duct tape myself
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nggFDF4Vb8g

Seriously. loving tourists.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I'm finally properly starting to play this, and is there no way to rename your loadouts?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Nope.

Also, I am playing as av8r_1125 these days. My old PSN is retired (crimsontide1125)

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

This game has really got it's hooks into me. It's like Peggle, just one more game... and another and another and now it's midnight.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
This game is :unsmigghh:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I like the way you roll nailbombs

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
:ninja::hf::ese: speaking of,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axn8NFvxIEI

Holy jesus I couldn't stop laughing

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

yellowjournalism posted:

:ninja::hf::ese: speaking of,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axn8NFvxIEI

Holy jesus I couldn't stop laughing

Aggghhhhhhh, gently caress......I'm dooooooowwwwwwwnnnnnnn

BluePacific
Apr 3, 2010
I play this game pretty often still if anyone is looking for a decent team mate. My PSN ID is Dybeetis if you wanna hit me up!

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So I got to the point where I talked with Bill and just left his church. Have I more or less seen what this game has to offer more or less?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Good lord no. That's where the game really kicks in and gets good imo. You are maybe 1/4 of the way though or less.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I have mostly given up on factions. I will accept I'm probably not very good at it, but it paired a bunch of us single digit level guys against a group of 200+ level folks including one that was in the 600s. Doesn't matter what I do, I just get owned at every step. Weird stuff happens like a couple opponents reach the opposite side of the map where we spawn in right about the time we collect from the first box. Or crouch walking around and it's like I have a target painted over my head right from the start

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I got to the point where I talked with Bill and just left his church. Have I more or less seen what this game has to offer more or less?

:jerky:

Tide posted:

I have mostly given up on factions. I will accept I'm probably not very good at it, but it paired a bunch of us single digit level guys against a group of 200+ level folks including one that was in the 600s. Doesn't matter what I do, I just get owned at every step. Weird stuff happens like a couple opponents reach the opposite side of the map where we spawn in right about the time we collect from the first box. Or crouch walking around and it's like I have a target painted over my head right from the start

Maybe playing with goons would give you a fresh perspective.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

punk rebel ecks posted:

That's funny because I had the same thought the first time I played the game on PS3.

Naughty Dog now has :homebrew: dollars of my money would buy frontier rifle again if i could

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

yellowjournalism posted:

That's funny because I had the same thought the first time I played the game on PS3.

Naughty Dog now has :homebrew: dollars of my money would buy frontier rifle again if i could

In addition to the season pass and some other weapon/item/skill stuff, I have purchased this game 4 times. I am hosed up. I am the problem.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

yellowjournalism posted:

So the game gets a lot better? Because so far while it is good, it isn't "the greatest game of all-time" quality for me yet.

I'd keep playing it but I played it on a PS4 that wasn't mine for like a day. I don't know if I should get a PS4 just for this game.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

punk rebel ecks posted:

So the game gets a lot better? Because so far while it is good, it isn't "the greatest game of all-time" quality for me yet.

I'd keep playing it but I played it on a PS4 that wasn't mine for like a day. I don't know if I should get a PS4 just for this game.

If you don't like it by the time you play a little of Pittsburgh, then feel free to shelve it. I thought the game was boring as hell until I reached that point since they start throwing more human enemies at you.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Tide posted:

I'm pretty much at this same point. I haven't had a single win in over 2 dozen games. I've shelved the game for now, as fun as it is. :(

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

punk rebel ecks posted:

That probably won't ever happen, if you're talking strictly about gameplay. The Last of Us has fun gameplay and is competently designed but it's a product of its time (i.e it's a 3rd person action adventure with rudimentary stealth and crating mechanics that you've probably played before) and suffers from poor enemy AI and repetitive gameplay. The narrative, world-building, and associated thematic exploration is what makes the game exceptional but whether that kind of thing is fun is up to you.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

In It For The Tank posted:

That probably won't ever happen, if you're talking strictly about gameplay. The Last of Us has fun gameplay and is competently designed but it's a product of its time (i.e it's a 3rd person action adventure with rudimentary stealth and crating mechanics that you've probably played before) and suffers from poor enemy AI and repetitive gameplay. The narrative, world-building, and associated thematic exploration is what makes the game exceptional but whether that kind of thing is fun is up to you.

Yeah. So far the game was like Bioshock Infinite quality. Essentially an 8-8.5/10 game. That said I still have myself feeling wanting more. I think I may just rent a PS3 at Rent-A-Center for like $30 and borrow the game just to finish it.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Tide posted:

If you're playing on a party mode Covert Training 2 is basically required.

Other tips:
- Don't sprint to the box when you spawn after the first spawn. Not only does it ping you on the map so they know where you are, but there will be a bomb that will blow you up.
- If the enemy has several hundred levels under their belt, they will know where you spawned anyway because the spawn system in this game is pretty predictable. So don't get caught with your pants down building on the box.
- The spawn system is dumb and will often spawn you and a bad guy on the same box, so instead of walking straight at the box make sure there's nobody else with you.
- Stay with your team and cover each other. Having a mic and calling out bad guys helps a lot.
- Know when to abandon your teammates. A lot of times low level teams will come at the enemy one at a time and get shot from 4 different angles. If you've got two teammates down and you're not in the line of fire, back off and regroup (unless they have a mic and tell you it's clear). Resist the urge to walk forward and shoot mans.
- Knowing the maps well will make you a lot better at the game since you learn the hiding spots, med pack locations, etc. This is just a matter of playing more.
- Play with goons.

ShootaBoy posted:

I'm pretty much at this same point. I haven't had a single win in over 2 dozen games. I've shelved the game for now, as fun as it is. :(
It gets better. Keep at it!
(I need people to play with, PSN: clanpot)

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Maybe playing with goons would give you a fresh perspective.

I don't know. Probably not. Granted, playing PUGs is frustrating in and of itself, there's just weirdness that happens where my head says "There's no hacks" but my heart says "These fuckers are loving hacking the poo poo out of the game".

Clanpot Shake posted:

:words:
It gets better. Keep at it!
(I need people to play with, PSN: clanpot)

I get all of the above, I really do. The only time I is to escape a bad situation. I am constantly crouch walking, rarely even jogging. I try and stay off peoples proverbial radar at all times. I'll give it another shot and pair up with goony goons. I've got you saved as a friend so I'll hit up.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Bottom line is; some of the higher level guys slap agility 2 and covert training 2 on their character and know where all the toolboxes are for theirs and the other teams. It can get very lucrative for them to race to the first box with their speed, and not showing up on your radar or listening mode, and pop everyone off at the first box with the burst rifle.

I'm sandwichestime btw, and I'm ok at it, I guess

Wonderllama fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 25, 2015

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Wonderllama posted:

Bottom line is; some of the higher level guys slap agility 2 and covert training 2 on their character and know where all the toolboxes are for theirs and the other teams. It can get very lucrative for them to race to the first box with their speed, and not showing up on your radar or listening mode, and pop everyone off at the first box with the burst rifle.

I do exactly this but with the shorty. Silenced, of course.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
That's my tactic too. If it the first box at head straight for the enemy to set up a flank while they're moving to their 2nd box.

Give you an easy shiv as well as catching them with their dick in their hand as they get poo poo from the front and back.

Playing with 3 friends with mica really helps.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Yeah. So far the game was like Bioshock Infinite quality. Essentially an 8-8.5/10 game. That said I still have myself feeling wanting more. I think I may just rent a PS3 at Rent-A-Center for like $30 and borrow the game just to finish it.

Like many good movies I enjoyed TLOU because it was being called "good" when I played it, not "ZOMG THE GREATEST." I think ultimately it's an A+ story for a video game with B+ to A- mechanics depending on your expectations and preferences.

It's like trying to watch Breaking Bad cold now. It's hard to get into something that's been overhyped.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Last of Us is a LOT better than Bioshock Infinite, although that's really not saying very much. It is a good game, while Infinite is not so much.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Stop playing with pubbie retards, goons. And stop playing the game like call of duty, retards.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Tourists posted:

*gurgling noises*

Just watch some videos on youtube, there is a crazy amount of useful stuff to learn. Don't crouchwalk everywhere unless you want to be the sick gazelle. Stick close to your team but not molotov close. Only take easy kills. Craft in cover. Be hesitant to revive. Always check behind you. Reviver 3 + First Aid 3 = Parts Mode

PSN: yellowjournalism let's hunt women and children

Tide posted:

I don't know. Probably not. Granted, playing PUGs is frustrating in and of itself, there's just weirdness that happens where my head says "There's no hacks" but my heart says "These fuckers are loving hacking the poo poo out of the game".

I don't think I've ever seen proof of anyone hacking on PS4. Even recent hacking videos are of people still playing on PS3. There are also a lot of glitches attributable to lag. The ratio of calling bullshit to actual bullshit in this game is stratospheric, and it's understandable. Once you get the idea in your head, everything becomes "I'm getting shot by invisible guys" (the bow is VERY good at ventriloquism) and "I shot him ten times and he didn't go down" (a burst rifle with sharpshooter hitting you in the head is netting him 25 hp every time) and "I punched him 4 times!" (a brawler can win melee even if they start punching super late). But every single time I've called bullshit and watched the replay, I was wrong.

gently caress me if I don't get shot around corners ERR'DAY though :argh:

In addition to the season pass and some other weapon/item/skill stuff, I have purchased this game 4 times. I am hosed up. I am the problem.

Digital/disc doubledips? You loon. says the guy who bought every hat :tipshat:

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

yellowjournalism posted:

I don't think I've ever seen proof of anyone hacking on PS4. Even recent hacking videos are of people still playing on PS3. There are also a lot of glitches attributable to lag. The ratio of calling bullshit to actual bullshit in this game is stratospheric, and it's understandable. Once you get the idea in your head, everything becomes "I'm getting shot by invisible guys" (the bow is VERY good at ventriloquism) and "I shot him ten times and he didn't go down" (a burst rifle with sharpshooter hitting you in the head is netting him 25 hp every time) and "I punched him 4 times!" (a brawler can win melee even if they start punching super late). But every single time I've called bullshit and watched the replay, I was wrong.
I really wish I had saved the replay, but the only time I've ever seen actual glitching was a group of guys getting themselves outside the map on Coal Mine and sniping us through walls from the skybox. It was loving nonsense. It was the spawn at the bottom of the hill with the truck, there's a gate off to the right they were getting through somehow.

There was another time I was playing Survivors and one of our teammates was spawning in the skybox somehow, but wasn't able to do anything besides spot guys.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

One thing new guys always don't seem to realize is that you need to move constantly. Don't sit around at the box especially. Start setting up your positions and then start crafting after you are in a safe spot. Mobility is the best asset that you have to throw the enemy off. After a while you will figure out how to move around the maps quickly without making a ruckus and you can be the one murdering guys at the first box. Also, don't be afraid to retreat if you don't know if you are going to come out on top. It's better to run off alive than get killed on some crapshoot situation.

Most importantly find people to play with. 90% of pubs are poo poo and half of the good ones are lovely team players which is why they are playing alone probably. The game has been out for a while so most teams you are up against are full parties that are coordinating with each other.

You guys can add me if you want. I'll pretty much pop on whenever. PSN: Monostat7

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Aug 26, 2015

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I've been caught in accidental glitches before, like somebody punches me while I'm climbing over a box and then I'm stuck inside the box for the rest of the match unable to kill myself or anyone else.

I've also spawned as an invisible person a couple times.

Most of that was on the PS3 version though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

You've been stuck in boxes and tables more than everyone else put together when I'm playing :lol: Theres been like 5 times where your lil head will just be poking out of a crate while you are stuck in there.

I think it's only happened to me once.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

It generally improves over time but it is not close to worth a PS4 by itself. If there are several other PS4 games you think you'd get a lot of value out of, like bloodborne or destiny when the expansion comes out, then I'd consider getting the console. No game is worth an entire PS4 by itself unless you know you'll get 500 hours out of it.

Tide posted:

I will accept I'm probably not very good at it, but it paired a bunch of us single digit level guys against a group of 200+ level folks including one that was in the 600s.

I had this happen, where our highest player was around level 20 and the enemy team's lowest player was maybe 130. Problem is, it was a no-parties lobby and everyone was there before the game started, so it's not that we ran up against a stack, it's just loving pathetic team balancing. Amazingly we didn't get completely ruined, although we did lose of course.

I played through 6 weeks in a real life day because I was enjoying it a lot, but I got distracted by the witcher 3 and that bit of dumbass matchmaking didn't do much to draw me back.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 26, 2015

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Gestalt Intellect posted:

It generally improves over time but it is not close to worth a PS4 by itself. If there are several other PS4 games you think you'd get a lot of value out of, like bloodborne or destiny when the expansion comes out, then I'd consider getting the console. No game is worth an entire PS4 by itself unless you know you'll get 500 hours out of it.

I had this happen, where our highest player was around level 20 and the enemy team's lowest player was maybe 130. Problem is, it was a no-parties lobby and everyone was there before the game started, so it's not that we ran up against a stack, it's just loving pathetic team balancing. Amazingly we didn't get completely ruined, although we did lose of course.

I played through 6 weeks in a real life day because I was enjoying it a lot, but I got distracted by the witcher 3 and that bit of dumbass matchmaking didn't do much to draw me back.

I've played more than 500 hours of tlou.

Just sayin.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Matchmaking is done by KDR (after latency/region/language). Also, if you just joined a lobby and then got swept, don't leave-- the game will rearrange the teams next round unless it was a close match.

Level also doesn't mean poo poo, I've seen level 500's miss the barn door and level 20's headshot the entire other team with a military sniper. There's also the fact that there are a shitload of veterans making the jump from PS3 to PS4, so that's why you see level 7's with zero deaths pulling ROF exploits and airbursting nailbombs. Even funnier are the tools that register a new TLOU-themed PSN as if, somehow, we won't think they're complete loving tools.

I swear to god this loving metagame is half the problem. I love watching people ragequit as much as the next guy but it also just fucks the entire system in terms of consistent team balancing. I generally have to play at least 2 or 3 matches for teams to settle.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I bought the PS4 TLOU bundle and still only really play TLOU. Destiny demo didn't wow me and Bloodborne was godawful.

I would absolutely say TLOU is worth getting a PS4 for. There are enough other games coming out that look promising too but I definitely don't regret this purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've enjoyed many games on my PS4 but logged more hours in tlou than all of them combined.

There doesn't seem to be a cap on my enjoyment of the multilayer despite the lack of content, and playing single player yet again is always looming in the back of my mind. It's a good game imo.

• Locked thread